PDA

View Full Version : Dotel to the Jays

JoeyCora28
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5965825

Lip Man 1
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
That's to bad, but he did want to close games.

Lip

khan
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't have minded him returning here. I wonder what RPs remain unsigned...

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't have minded him returning here. I wonder what RPs remain unsigned...

Would have been a good option to close games for us IMO.

The guy was pretty good when he was here. Fans did not realize that.

JoeyCora28
12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Would have been a good option to close games for us IMO.

The guy was pretty good when he was here. Fans did not realize that.

He'd have the occasional "off" game, but he was filthy/nasty for a number of appearances.

DonnieDarko
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I really liked Dotel too and wondered where the dislike of him came from. I remember him being really damned good for a relief pitcher, with of course the occasional off-game.

And what the hell did Kenny Williams have against him, too? That one really puzzled me.

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I really liked Dotel too and wondered where the dislike of him came from. I remember him being really damned good for a relief pitcher, with of course the occasional off-game.

And what the hell did Kenny Williams have against him, too? That one really puzzled me.

I don't think Kenny had anything against the guy. He just let him walk last year in favor of Putz.

Gavin
12-29-2010, 08:01 PM

He also had the occasional walk-off game, too. Heyo! Happy New Year everyone!

Foulke You
12-30-2010, 07:00 PM

You usually knew with Dotel what you had by the first couple of batters. If he was on, he was pretty good. When he was off, he couldn't find home plate with a road map right off the bat and his fastball would come in nice and straight. He blew a couple of big games in 2008 including one against the Cubs if memory serves. This is likely where fans learned to not trust him. Overall, I felt he was solid when he was here but not lights out. I wouldn't want to hand him the ball in the 9th inning but as a 7th inning guy, I thought he filled the role well. I heard an "off the record" comment from a decent source that he was a guy who liked to party and this could have played into his inconsistency. Take it for what it is worth.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as Kenny Williams and Dotel though. Was there some sort of blow up that I don't remember? :?: