PDA

View Full Version : Any chance the Sox sign Grant Balfour?

cards press box
12-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't know if the Sox will sign another right-handed reliever during the offseason but Grant Balfour is intriguing. Balfour had a good year (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/balfogr01.shtml) in 2010 and as the Sox already surrendered their first round pick in 2011 for signing Adam Dunn, they would not (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/) give up a first round pick if they sign type A free agent Balfour.

Any thoughts?

Chrisaway
12-28-2010, 12:14 AM
If it's on the cheap sure.

WhiteSox5187
12-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Boy he REALLY seems to have the "good year/bad year" syndrome and is due for a bad year, but if the price is right, sign him up.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-28-2010, 01:36 AM
There's a reason fans refer to him as "Ball Four". I'm kidding of course and would support getting him ITPIR (if the price is right).

esbrechtel
12-28-2010, 11:15 AM
any help in the pen is okay with me...

Rohan
12-28-2010, 11:21 AM
He's just one of those guys who I can't stand. He's like a stupid version of Jake Peavy in the bullpen. Wears his emotions on his sleeve and his emotions are straight stupid.

Let's get someone else.

Sargeant79
12-28-2010, 12:25 PM
As others have said...If the price is right, I'd say sure.

However, I'm still holding out hope for my irrational dream of Rafael Soriano wearing a Sox uniform next year.

JermaineDye05
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I think Kenny is more concerned with finding a reliable left-handed reliever rather than have to go the route of a Boone Logan/Randy Williams again.

DonnieDarko
12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
What "reliable" LHPs are out there right now, though? I mean, what is Kenny Williams waiting for?

Lip Man 1
12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't think there are a lot of decent left handed pitchers left out there...perhaps he thinks he can get one via trade.

It's clear though he needs at least one more arm in the pen. He has to decide at what point he has a realistic chance of getting one more left hander or just going out and getting the best relief guy he can, regarless of what hand he throws from.

Is Dotel still available? I'd love to see him return as another bridge guy.

Oh just a thought, Kenny may be waiting as long as he can because he's trying to get a handle of Peavy's situation. If he thinks he can come back say on May 1st, then he really doesn't need another lefty...Sale stays in the pen.

In that case then a Balfour, a Dotel or whomever could be signed as the final arm in the pen.

Lip

JermaineDye05
12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't think there are a lot of decent left handed pitchers left out there...perhaps he thinks he can get one via trade.

It's clear though he needs at least one more arm in the pen. He has to decide at what point he has a realistic chance of getting one more left hander or just going out and getting the best relief guy he can, regarless of what hand he throws from.

Is Dotel still available? I'd love to see him return as another bridge guy.

Oh just a thought, Kenny may be waiting as long as he can because he's trying to get a handle of Peavy's situation. If he thinks he can come back say on May 1st, then he really doesn't need another lefty...Sale stays in the pen.

In that case then a Balfour, a Dotel or whomever could be signed as the final arm in the pen.

Lip

Last I heard he was on the verge of signing with the Blue Jays.

soxfanreggie
12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I could see Balfour going to the Orioles if they don't get a deal finalized with Kevin Gregg. While we don't seem to have a chance at Brian Fuentes (lefty), I would be a-ok with him not going back to the Twins.

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
I think Kenny is more concerned with finding a reliable left-handed reliever rather than have to go the route of a Boone Logan/Randy Williams again.

That's good. I don't want to see Robinson Cano hit a game ending 3 run bomb off Williams and celebrate like the Yankmees had just won the WS.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Last I heard he was on the verge of signing with the Blue Jays.

This morning,MLB Network reported that "several sources" are indicating that Dotel is about to (or has become) a Blue Jay.

russ99
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
FA Relievers are still signing for close to market value contracts.

Kenny's probably waiting 3-4 more weeks where he can get one or two cheap on a one year deal.

SoxNation05
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know if the Sox will sign another right-handed reliever during the offseason but Grant Balfour is intriguing. Balfour had a good year (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/balfogr01.shtml) in 2010 and as the Sox already surrendered their first round pick in 2011 for signing Adam Dunn, they would not (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/) give up a first round pick if they sign type A free agent Balfour.

Any thoughts?
Just out of curiosity what js our highest pick now? I assume we lost our 2nd rounder with the Crain signing.

It is interesting to see what Balfour goes for since he is a type A free agent.

DirtySox
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Just out of curiosity what js our highest pick now? I assume we lost our 2nd rounder with the Crain signing.

It is interesting to see what Balfour goes for since he is a type A free agent.

The 2nd rounder is still there. Crain was a Type B so the Sox don't lose a pick with the signing.

The highest pick will be in the supplemental round from losing JJ.