PDA

View Full Version : We have our catcher of the future....

Joel Perez
08-06-2001, 12:55 PM
:MJ Hello everyone!

What was it, 3 or 4 Devil Rays that MJ threw out yesterday? Granted, he's no Pudge, but dang, he calls a good enough game, plus he knows some of the young pitchers anyway. And he bats left-handed in a right-handed world.

Good enough for me.

Paulwny
08-06-2001, 01:09 PM
If he could hit .250-.260 with ~ 15 hr then we don't need a catcher. His defensive ability is above average.

Tragg
08-06-2001, 11:16 PM
Mark Johnson's fine - he's solid defensively and good hitting defensive catchers are rare and cost in the stratosphere.

A decent shortstop is another story, and kenny williams damn sure ought to get us one. In damn near every thread, I read a post about several AA and AAA pitchers who are better than garland and wells, etc.

hell, use them to better the team, one way or the other.

doublem23
08-06-2001, 11:17 PM
Well, don't get too comfortable with Mark Johnson, because if this Miguel Olivo ever figures out how to swing a bat, he may be a superstar.

Mathew
08-06-2001, 11:22 PM
I think he's already proven he's an upgrade from any other catcher we have and an upgrade from Clayton's bat so I agree that SS is our concern. I also think Valentin is capable.

Bmr31
08-06-2001, 11:38 PM
hmmmm i think MJ will make a good backup catcher for years to come, but i do not think he will ever be a solid #1 catcher. I hope im wrong.

doublem23
08-06-2001, 11:50 PM
Well, from my humble perspective, when this team is healthy, this is our depth chart: (for start of 2002)

STARTERS
Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Kip Wells
Jim Parque
Danny Wright

BULLPEN
Keith Foulke
Bobby Howry
Bill Simas
Antonio Osuna
Sean Lowe
Gary Glover

CATCHERS
Mark Johnson, Josh Paul backup (unfortunately)

INFEILDERS
1B - Paul Konerko, 2B - Ray Durham, 3B - Joe Crede, SS - Jose Valentin - Tony Graffanino & Liu Rodriguez backups

OUTFIELDERS
RF - Magglio Ordonez, CF - Aaron Rowand, LF - Carlos Lee, Julio Ramirez & Jeff Liefer backups

DESIGNATED HITTER
Frank Thomas - duh

----

Perhaps its my endless enthusiasm, but thats a pretty good team.

voodoochile
08-06-2001, 11:59 PM
this is our depth chart: (for start of 2002)

I think you'll want at least one lefty in the bullpen. Maybe Lowe can start and Parque can be a reliever. Lowe is also on record as saying he wants to start next year and that the club owes him a chance to start or a trade. IMO, he's right...

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 12:00 AM
its a very good team and very good predictions. I wouldnt agree with parque as a SP, though. I see him coming out of the pen.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
its a very good team and very good predictions. I wouldnt agree with parque as a SP, though. I see him coming out of the pen.

yeah, ur right. I hadn't noticed that. I would expect Parque to come out of the pen in place of Glover or Lowe.

I owe props to voodoo, as well, for catching that error. See? That's why I don't manage!

doublem23
08-07-2001, 12:10 AM
I didn't accomodate for any free agents because...

A) We already have too many players
B) KW should have learned his lesson from this year.

The only other thing I could realistically see happen is no one takes Royce, meaning he's (hopefully) benched, sending Liu back to AAA.

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 12:23 AM
I actually think it is a fairly accurate assessment. The Sox are going to have about 32 guys next year who have major league experience and some success on that level. Throw in Crede and Borchard (he will probably start the season in AAA), and the list is really long for 25 slots. I agree with some of your young talent coming up. Guys like Perry and Graffy are probably history, because the money is going to have to come from somewhere. The Sox are "stuck" with Alomar and Clayton for at least another year unless they can find someone to take them off our hands. Those two are sitting on $7 million in salary all by themselves. That means the bench will have to get younger to accomodate the escalating salaries among the starters. I expect the Sox to at least tender Perry an offer, so they can trade his rights, but if that money will be too much, they might just let him go. In either case, expect a fairly active off season. Something is going to have to give and maybe it will lead to a solid BU catcher and some veteran relief (anyone want a Bobby Howrey model relief pitcher? Cheap and occasionally effective...)

I think Clayton will open the season as the SS with Crede at 3rd and Valentin doing the infield supersub thing again. Jose may even play some corner outfield when Frank gets a day off. If Clayton gets traded (please, God, make my day) then Valentin can go back to SS where he belongs and things fall more into place.

The real tricky part is going to be the pitchers. The Sox are going to have about 15 guys who will be ready to play in the Bigs. Since so many of them are young or have a SP/RP makeup, there is plenty of versatility and not enough slots... Something will have to give. It may be time to reverse the trend and start trying to trade quantity for quality instead of quantity for crap...

I'm not GM material either, but I can tell you one thing... Next year will be exciting and KW had better start bringing his "A" game and I suppose that means he needs to figure out what his "A" game is...

I know, I know... that was more than one thing...

FarWestChicago
08-07-2001, 12:26 AM
I know, I know... that was more than one thing...

Dang, VC. Now you have me all confused. :)

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Dang, VC. Now you have me all confused. :)

I LOVE when voodoo posts. its always well informed and positive. Sometimes the guy does ramble.... :) :) :)

doublem23
08-07-2001, 12:35 AM
Whoa. i'm getting a tad dizzy

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 12:51 AM
:):):):):):):):):):)Smiliecons for all my friends...

GoodNight everybody...

FarWestChicago
08-07-2001, 12:52 AM
I LOVE when voodoo posts. its always well informed and positive.

I agree. Voodoochile rocks (let's see if anybody gets that one). Plus, he's got a sense of humor.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, from my humble perspective, when this team is healthy, this is our depth chart: (for start of 2002)

STARTERS
Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Kip Wells
Jim Parque
Danny Wright

BULLPEN
Keith Foulke
Bobby Howry
Bill Simas
Antonio Osuna
Sean Lowe
Gary Glover

CATCHERS
Mark Johnson, Josh Paul backup (unfortunately)

INFEILDERS
1B - Paul Konerko, 2B - Ray Durham, 3B - Joe Crede, SS - Jose Valentin - Tony Graffanino & Liu Rodriguez backups

OUTFIELDERS
RF - Magglio Ordonez, CF - Aaron Rowand, LF - Carlos Lee, Julio Ramirez & Jeff Liefer backups

DESIGNATED HITTER
Frank Thomas - duh

----

Perhaps its my endless enthusiasm, but thats a pretty good team.

ALSO.... If you want a lefty in the 'pen, there is the forgotten Kelly Wunsch, as well.

and yes, props to FWC for the wonderful Jimi Hendrix/WSI connection.

Daver
08-07-2001, 06:27 PM
Hey VC can you repeat all of that in italics?

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Put me down for sticking Parque in the bullpen, too. There simply aren't many good lefties available for the bullpen. With the emergence of Buehrle, the Sox have some flexibility regarding what to do with Parque. Manuel has never had much faith in the guy's durability and I doubt Wunsch will be coming back.

Lefty reliever is a huge need for 2002. Parque fits the need nicely.

El Train
08-07-2001, 07:55 PM
I don't see how the sox can manage with parque in the pen. You take your only veteran starter/double-digit winner and leave your rotation to rookies and sophomores. Parque doesn't belong in the bullpen, at least not for a few more years.
Sure it sounds nice, but what effects will it have and will it be more beneficial?

Daver
08-07-2001, 08:01 PM
You only get 5 innings out of him anyway,for the most part,so a move to the pen for long releif makes sense if you have a young rotation.

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 08:45 PM
I'd be more concerned about Parque's attitude in the pen. This is quy who so badly wanted to throw a complete game, that he blew out his arm doing it...

Will he accept the move? He may just whine his way off the team, which is not a major problem anyway, IMO. He's a solid starter, but not irreplaceable and he will bring a nice return value in trade, if his shoulder checks out...

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'd be more concerned about Parque's attitude in the pen. This is quy who so badly wanted to throw a complete game, that he blew out his arm doing it...

Will he accept the move? He may just whine his way off the team, which is not a major problem anyway, IMO. He's a solid starter, but not irreplaceable and he will bring a nice return value in trade, if his shoulder checks out...

JM has to get some balls and stop worrying about guys feelings. I wish i could convince my boss of the same thing. IF they arent for the team first, LET THEM WALK!!!!

FarWestChicago
08-07-2001, 08:48 PM

You have a good point there. I think Butter has serious Whineocerous potential.

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

You have a good point there. I think Butter has serious Whineocerous potential.

LOL how long did it take you to come up with that one west?