PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's Seasons on MLB Network

Brian26
12-24-2010, 04:56 PM
This is just an outstanding show.

I watched the '75 season earlier this afternoon. Never knew the Red Sox started Luis Tiant in both Game 4 and Game 5 of the World Series. They were able to do this because of the three rainouts in Boston in between games. Pete Rose thinks this was the only World Series to ever have a SuperBowl flavor because of how it dragged on.

They just ran the '86 season again. To this day it still amazes me that Bob Stanley threw that wild pitch to let the Mets tie Game 6. The Buckner play wasn't even that important by then since the Mets had scored two to tie the game even after being down to their last strike.

WhiteSox5187
12-25-2010, 12:41 AM
One of the few complaints I have with this show is how they really gloss over the regular season stuff, with expanded playoffs that makes sense, but in the 1967 episode they barely mentioned the White Sox (though this might be because that show focuses a lot on stuff with footage and there isn't a whole lot of footage from the 1967 White Sox).

Brian26
12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Most of the shows I've watched really just focus on the playoffs, which makes one question why they would call it Baseball "Seasons".

It's fascinating to watch how small elements of the game have changed over the years. I'll give you two examples:

Up until maybe the mid 80s, at the end of a game, the pitcher would generally just walk off the mound and towards the dugout. The catcher would come out to greet him, and the infielders would run behind him and pat him on the back, but there was a certain agenda to get off the field as quickly as possible. Now, at the end of the game, the caterch and pitcher meet halfway between home and the mound, and almost every team does the line where they all shake hands and wait for the outfielders to come in. I like the way things are done now. There's a certain finality to it, which maybe is appropriate after a three hour game.

The other thing that's fascinating is crowd control. They showed a clip of the '82 Braves winning their 12th in a row to start the season, and the crowd at Fulton County Stadium rushed the field. I saw Chambliss' homer in the '76 (or was it '77) ALCS the other night, and he had to get off the field it was so crazy. Apparently he came out a couple hours later to touch home plate with the umpire there to watch. I have no idea how the Royals outfielders got off the field alive that night. This stuff you don't see anymore. I can't remember the last time a field was destroyed like that after a game. Maybe the '86 Mets World Series finale?

johnnyg83
12-25-2010, 12:09 PM
This is just an outstanding show.

I watched the '75 season earlier this afternoon. Never knew the Red Sox started Luis Tiant in both Game 4 and Game 5 of the World Series. They were able to do this because of the three rainouts in Boston in between games. Pete Rose thinks this was the only World Series to ever have a SuperBowl flavor because of how it dragged on.

They just ran the '86 season again. To this day it still amazes me that Bob Stanley threw that wild pitch to let the Mets tie Game 6. The Buckner play wasn't even that important by then since the Mets had scored two to tie the game even after being down to their last strike.

That's been a great injustice to Buckner, the game was tied. He makes the play the game keeps going, it doesn't end.

WhiteSox5187
12-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Most of the shows I've watched really just focus on the playoffs, which makes one question why they would call it Baseball "Seasons".

It's fascinating to watch how small elements of the game have changed over the years. I'll give you two examples:

Up until maybe the mid 80s, at the end of a game, the pitcher would generally just walk off the mound and towards the dugout. The catcher would come out to greet him, and the infielders would run behind him and pat him on the back, but there was a certain agenda to get off the field as quickly as possible. Now, at the end of the game, the caterch and pitcher meet halfway between home and the mound, and almost every team does the line where they all shake hands and wait for the outfielders to come in. I like the way things are done now. There's a certain finality to it, which maybe is appropriate after a three hour game.

The other thing that's fascinating is crowd control. They showed a clip of the '82 Braves winning their 12th in a row to start the season, and the crowd at Fulton County Stadium rushed the field. I saw Chambliss' homer in the '76 (or was it '77) ALCS the other night, and he had to get off the field it was so crazy. Apparently he came out a couple hours later to touch home plate with the umpire there to watch. I have no idea how the Royals outfielders got off the field alive that night. This stuff you don't see anymore. I can't remember the last time a field was destroyed like that after a game. Maybe the '86 Mets World Series finale?

Chamblis' homerun was in '76, the fans rushed out after Fisk hit his homer in '77. I don't think fans rushed the field in '86 though.

TommyJohn
12-25-2010, 09:29 PM
That's been a great injustice to Buckner, the game was tied. He makes the play the game keeps going, it doesn't end.
Don't tell ******* Red Sox fans (not all of them, of course, just the ones who blame him) or Allen Barra that.

Brian26
12-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Chamblis' homerun was in '76, the fans rushed out after Fisk hit his homer in '77. I don't think fans rushed the field in '86 though.

Fisk was '75.

chisoxfanatic
12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Do you know the reason? Was it so the groundscrew could immediately start cleaning up? Was it to limit the possible fan interaction with the players, especially when the home team wins (I've seen some fans crowd around the Sox dugout after a victory trying to get photos and/or autographs)?

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Fisk was '75.

D'oh, I knew that too.

MeteorsSox4367
12-26-2010, 03:33 AM
The 1971 episode was excellent. That's about the time I remember starting to watch baseball with my Dad. The fact that two of my favorite non-Sox teams - Baltimore and Pittsburgh - played in the World Series that year also made the show enjoyable.

One of the highlights was a throw made by Clemente from the right-field line to third base that was absolutely awesome.

Hitmen77
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
There was already a thread about this series a few weeks ago:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124585

I've enjoyed watching it. The episode about the 1959 season included interviews with a few White Sox players from that year.