PDA

View Full Version : WEEI Boston explodes in laughter at 2011 Flubs marketing slogan

Fenway
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
https://ems.resrunner.com/images/get_header_logo.do?id=794\

I didn't think they could top YEAR ONE - I was wrong

They are also looking at what the Cubs are charging fans to come to Fenway

https://ems.resrunner.com/cubsboston2011

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes, losing and choking is their way of life.

WhiteSox5187
12-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes, losing and choking is their way of life.

It would make more sense if they used the "L" flag to start "life" than the "W".

LongLiveFisk
12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
It would make more sense if they used the "L" flag to start "life" than the "W".

That's what I was thinking. :tongue:

Brian26
12-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Someone fire up Photoshop.

MarySwiss
12-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow! How absurd is that? :?:

Now if they'd used the "W" in front of "e are losers"...

SoxandtheCityTee
12-22-2010, 09:10 PM

This graphic needs to happen. Someone with skills, step up.

russ99
12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
OK, here goes...

EDIT - I removed the logos.

http://www.thrustjet.com/alt/nologo.gif

LongLiveFisk
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
http://www.thrustjet.com/alt/banner_Life.gif

That looks so much better. :thumbsup:

beasly213
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
The Cubs used this slogan last year too..

tstrike2000
12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Had no idea that's their slogan for next year. Goodness gracious is that horrible.

DumpJerry
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM
OK, here goes...

Truth in advertising.

LongLiveFisk
12-22-2010, 11:28 PM
If they had any brains they would have used some different slogan that didn't have a word starting with "L" in it. They just made that joke way too easy. :lol:

RadioheadRocks
12-23-2010, 12:19 AM
OK, here goes...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4MhusTP4zV9x3M:http://www.loserflag.com/images/flag_flying_resized_b4u0.jpg (http://www.loserflag.com/images/flag_flying_resized_b4u0.jpg)ove it!!!

Fenway
12-23-2010, 08:07 AM
The Heckler must read WSI

http://www.theheckler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2010-09-22-wayoflife.jpg

MARTINMVP
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
It's an awful marketing slogan and I couldn't believe when they first started using it about a year ago at this time, or soon after.

At the time, I thought "Year One" was clever, though it was never an official slogan that I am aware of - more of just a saying that may have been started within Cubdum Enterprises.

"Year One" really would had been great if Ricketts had enacted true change in philosophy of how the team operates. Considering that the Tribune Company actually did a lot of things right (marketing) and the way they operated the team through the last decade, a Cub fan would have hoped that Ricketts at the very least, maintained that type of operations. At this point, he has seems to be reverting the philosophy back to pre 2003... hell, I may even say pre 1998.

Ricketts' operation thus far is personifying the concept of dumb - a trait that has allowed many Sox fans and baseball fans to have fun with when talking about the Cubs.

LongLiveFisk
12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
:roflmao:The Heckler must read WSI

http://www.theheckler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2010-09-22-wayoflife.jpg

:roflmao:

ewokpelts
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
this one's better. and it's from a cub fan site!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_APgDT_vnrdI/TEKMw8t463I/AAAAAAAAAk4/ASrDu05Cf_A/s1600/awayoflife.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
12-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Had no idea that's their slogan for next year. Goodness gracious is that horrible.

And you thought "All In" was bad...!

tstrike2000
12-24-2010, 09:08 AM
And you thought "All In" was bad...!

No, wasn't crazy about "All In" and still think they should've went with "Different Patch, Same Tradition" but compared to the Cubs, "All In" is genious.

Foulke You
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
At the time, I thought "Year One" was clever, though it was never an official slogan that I am aware of - more of just a saying that may have been started within Cubdum Enterprises.
"Year One" was used in an official capacity last year. I remember seeing it in print ads in the Sun Times with the team's schedule.

LongLiveFisk
12-24-2010, 11:30 AM
this one's better. and it's from a cub fan site!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_APgDT_vnrdI/TEKMw8t463I/AAAAAAAAAk4/ASrDu05Cf_A/s1600/awayoflife.jpg

Well at least they have a sense of humor about it. :D:

Fenway
12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
"Year One" was used in an official capacity last year. I remember seeing it in print ads in the Sun Times with the team's schedule.

I saw YEAR ONE on many cabs around Chicago....

I only went to a handful of games when the Cubs were owned by Wrigley and their idea of promotion was handing out decals at the information window. When the Tribune came in they cleaned house.

The Red Sox under Jean Yawkey/John Harrington pretty much ran the operation like a Mom and Pop store as well and many employees were there for decades.

Everybody it seemed knew the ticket department was corrupt - the director of tickets had a summer home on Martha's Vineyard. Back in the 80's I used to buy tickets 'day of game' from the same guy at Window 5 and would always tip him $5 ( tickets then were $10-12 ) and then when I would show up unannounced I got tickets you wouldn't believe. One game I sat next to Stephen King and we became friends as I didn't bother him about his books, we just talked Red Sox.

In 1986 when Boston won the AL East, my ticket seller told me I had to get in line with everybody else but he would set me up. You were supposed to get 2 tickets to ONE playoff game or World Series but after waiting 6 hours in line I finally got to his window and he sold me a complete ALCS and World Series strip for 2. That is just the way it was. He knew I had season tickets as well but that I would not scalp what extras I got.

In 2002 when John Henry took over - EVERYTHING CHANGED.

For example on Opening Day 2002, the first under new ownership, Henry, Werner and Company did a walkthrough of the park. They noticed there was a gate between the bleachers and grandstand and fans in the bleachers were not allowed to enter the grandstand. That had been in place most likely since the 30's. Henry said "Open that gate NOW."

Only a select few Harrington employees were kept, for the most part Henry brought a lot of people he knew from the Marlins. Otherwise he cleaned house.

The PR guy was the first out the door - He was most famous for writing a letter to season ticket holders reminding us that Boston had spent more days in first place than New York. ( but not the day that counted )

The Yawkey Culture HAD to be eliminated and obviously the new owners have had success on and off the field that before we could only dream of.

Ricketts HAS to do the same but he seems oblivious to it.

It is getting more obvious that Cubdom is FINALLY fed up - see 2011 Convention tickets still available. My hunch is the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup was the last straw for Flubs fans after seeing the Red Sox and White Sox win it all.

I fully expect the Pittsburgh Pirates to win a World Series or at least a NL Pennant before the Flubs do.

Cuck the Fubs
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
The year one deal would have been much more effective had they used the Men In Black with their little "flashy thing " to wipe everyone's memory.

The reality is the slogan should have been " Year 102 "

How big of a joke is this franchise, asking their fanbase to dismiss 102 years of failure?

The one thing I will say is this.....over the past few years, the CUbs have marketed the " Wrigley Field " experience, and now this " way of life " bull****. That speaks volumes about the team and it's fanbase. They could give a **** about the team or if it wins or loses....just give me the experience..and another Old Style...CUBBBBBBBBBBIESSSSS!!!!

MARTINMVP
12-25-2010, 02:12 AM

I stand corrected.

cards press box
12-25-2010, 03:16 PM
The Yawkey Culture HAD to be eliminated and obviously the new owners have had success on and off the field that before we could only dream of.

Ricketts HAS to do the same but he seems oblivious to it.

You are quite right on both counts: (i) to succeed, the Cubs need to change the franchise's culture and (ii) the Ricketts family seems disinclined to make that change. The reason for this, I think, is that the Ricketts family are too steeped in the Cubs culture themselves. Remember that photo of Tom Ricketts with the oversized "Harry Caray" glasses on? That picture is worth a thousand words. When Kerry Wood signed with the Cubs a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but think that both sides of the transaction were swept up in the notion of Cubs nostalgia.

And maybe that's the Cub problem. The one guy who actually gave the Cub franchise any kind of jolt in the last 40 years was Dallas Green and, if I recall correctly, he wasn't so keen on the concept of warm and fuzzy.

It is getting more obvious that Cubdom is FINALLY fed up - see 2011 Convention tickets still available. My hunch is the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup was the last straw for Flubs fans after seeing the Red Sox and White Sox win it all.

I fully expect the Pittsburgh Pirates to win a World Series or at least a NL Pennant before the Flubs do.

You may be right on this point as well. The common wisdom in these parts last summer was exactly what you say: the Hawks' end of their near half century Stanley Cup drought was the final straw for Cubs fans. I don't know about the Bucs winning an NL pennant before the Cubs but the Nationals might be a good bet to do so.

Lyle Mouton
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
You are quite right on both counts: (i) to succeed, the Cubs need to change the franchise's culture and (ii) the Ricketts family seems disinclined to make that change. The reason for this, I think, is that the Ricketts family are too steeped in the Cubs culture themselves. Remember that photo of Tom Ricketts with the oversized "Harry Caray" glasses on? That picture is worth a thousand words. When Kerry Wood signed with the Cubs a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but think that both sides of the transaction were swept up in the notion of Cubs nostalgia.

And maybe that's the Cub problem. The one guy who actually gave the Cub franchise any kind of jolt in the last 40 years was Dallas Green and, if I recall correctly, he wasn't so keen on the concept of warm and fuzzy.

You may be right on this point as well. The common wisdom in these parts last summer was exactly what you say: the Hawks' end of their near half century Stanley Cup drought was the final straw for Cubs fans. I don't know about the Bucs winning an NL pennant before the Cubs but the Nationals might be a good bet to do so.
The contract they gave Kerry Wood was tilted heavily in their favor. Why is that a problem?

TommyJohn
12-25-2010, 10:27 PM

If that happens, I would love to read Rick Morrissey's and Rick Telander's takes on it. THAT would make for some great reading.

cards press box
12-26-2010, 01:12 AM
The contract they gave Kerry Wood was tilted heavily in their favor. Why is that a problem?

The Kerry Wood signing is a good baseball deal for the North Siders, as far as that goes. The problem is not the deal itself but what it represents: a marketing ploy masquerading as progress. Allow me to explain.

Wood is a perfectly fine set-up man on a team that will be lucky to finish 4th in a six team division. In automotive terms, that is like having a great hood ornament on a beat up car that is about to collapse. What is the point?

What the Cubs need to do is re-build and that means assembling young talent. I know that the Cubs have some big contracts that may be difficult to move but are they really trying? Wouldn't some team needing a right-handed bat trade something of value for one year of Aramis Ramirez? Alfonso Soriano is untradeable but what about Marlon Byrd? He has some value and it is unlikely that he will be around if and when the Cubs finally turn their team around. Even Kouske Fukodome may have some value, although the Cubs would have to throw money into any trade to move him. The Cubs should also explore moving Carlos Zambrano, if that is possible.

In other words, the Cubs need to be straight with their fans, acknowledge that they are a mediocre team with a lot of bad contracts and do their best to have a fire sale and re-build. Signing Kerry Wood sends the opposite message but one that Cub fans have heard frequently over the years -- (1) we'll keep our largely average team in tact but throw enough fan favorites and nostalgia about the team and the ballpark out there to distact you, (2) we'll hope that we catch lighting in a bottle and (3) if things go our way, maybe we can contend. That is not a recipe for success but rather a 76-86 finish in 5th place.

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2010, 05:38 AM
The Kerry Wood signing is a good baseball deal for the North Siders, as far as that goes. The problem is not the deal itself but what it represents: a marketing ploy masquerading as progress. Allow me to explain.

Wood is a perfectly fine set-up man on a team that will be lucky to finish 4th in a six team division. In automotive terms, that is like having a great hood ornament on a beat up car that is about to collapse. What is the point?

What the Cubs need to do is re-build and that means assembling young talent. I know that the Cubs have some big contracts that may be difficult to move but are they really trying? Wouldn't some team needing a right-handed bat trade something of value for one year of Aramis Ramirez? Alfonso Soriano is untradeable but what about Marlon Byrd? He has some value and it is unlikely that he will be around if and when the Cubs finally turn their team around. Even Kouske Fukodome may have some value, although the Cubs would have to throw money into any trade to move him. The Cubs should also explore moving Carlos Zambrano, if that is possible.

In other words, the Cubs need to be straight with their fans, acknowledge that they are a mediocre team with a lot of bad contracts and do their best to have a fire sale and re-build. Signing Kerry Wood sends the opposite message but one that Cub fans have heard frequently over the years -- (1) we'll keep our largely average team in tact but throw enough fan favorites and nostalgia about the team and the ballpark out there to distact you, (2) we'll hope that we catch lighting in a bottle and (3) if things go our way, maybe we can contend. That is not a recipe for success but rather a 76-86 finish in 5th place.

That has been a successful business model for the Cubs for years now, why change it? A 76-85 team will still draw about 3 million people to the park and the Cubs will make a ton of money. High priced veterans like Zambrano and Rameriz at least provide the illusion (and that's all it is, an illusion) that the team is trying to compete. If they were to say "Sorry folks, but we have to blow it up," every smart baseball fan would see they are making the right move but it would probably hurt advance ticket sales (although only slightly) and they won't do that. I was born in 1987 and I can not recall a time when the Cubs decided to completely rebuild and try to establish a core of talented young players. The closest they came was in 2006 when the likes of Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno got extended looks, but that quickly gave way to them trying to buy a World Series and that set them into the fix they are in now. The fact is the Cubs NEED to have those fan favorites like Sandberg, Grace, Sosa and Zambrano. Without them people will be able to more easily see that they aren't trying to win, they are trying to draw fans.

ewokpelts
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
woob bought into the nostalgia too, as THREE potential playoff teams (BOS, NYY, CWS) outbid the cubs for his services and he chose to "come back to chicago for his family". Never mind that the White Sox play in Chicago.

cards press box
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
That has been a successful business model for the Cubs for years now, why change it?

You are quite right: as a business model, the Cubs' way of doing things has for many years been a cash cow for Cub ownership. The end results haven't been so great for serious Cub fans and maybe, just maybe, the Cub approach will start to be bad business, too. I don't think the situation has gotten to that point yet but it might.

Consider the following: the Bulls are having a fine renaissance this year, going 18-10 so far in the toughest part of their schedule and without their full lineup on the court. People are somewhat down on the Hawks but they are the defending champs and have a 19-14-3 record going into tonight's game. The Bears won an exciting game today over the Jets to go to an impressive 11-4 on the season. The White Sox have made some excellent moves in an offseason coming off an 88 win campaign. The one Chicago team seemingly going backwards right now? -- yes, that's right, it's the Cubs.

How long will this continue before Cub fans revolt?

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2010, 06:10 PM
You are quite right: as a business model, the Cubs' way of doing things has for many years been a cash cow for Cub ownership. The end results haven't been so great for serious Cub fans and maybe, just maybe, the Cub approach will start to be bad business, too. I don't think the situation has gotten to that point yet but it might.

Consider the following: the Bulls are having a fine renaissance this year, going 18-10 so far in the toughest part of their schedule and without their full lineup on the court. People are somewhat down on the Hawks but they are the defending champs and have a 19-14-3 record going into tonight's game. The Bears won an exciting game today over the Jets to go to an impressive 11-4 on the season. The White Sox have made some excellent moves in an offseason coming off an 88 win campaign. The one Chicago team seemingly going backwards right now? -- yes, that's right, it's the Cubs.

I think there has to be a minimum of five straight White Sox playoff appearances coupled with Cub 90 loss seasons before you see the Chad and Trixies getting fed up and start heading over to Sox games.

Foulke You
12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I think there has to be a minimum of five straight White Sox playoff appearances coupled with Cub 90 loss seasons before you see the Chad and Trixies getting fed up and start heading over to Sox games.
It would have been interesting to see how the scales would have tipped if the Sox could have built on the momentum of 2005 and had another lengthy playoff run again in 2006 and not had a disaster 72W-90L season in 2007.

cws05champ
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM

The White Sox have made some excellent moves in an offseason coming off an 88 win campaign. The one Chicago team seemingly going backwards right now? -- yes, that's right, it's the Cubs.

I'm as much of a Cub hater as you'll find, but I think it's really hard to say they are going backwards. I think they do have a plan in place to contend in 2012 or 2013. They have a pretty decent farm system in place, churning out Castro and Colvin last year and some nice arms in Archer, Jackson, Carpenter, Mcnutt. And it is clear they are trying to get out from underneath some of the idiotic contracts to under performing players (Silva, Ramirez etc).

I know that they are still trying to retool on the fly while still hoping to contend (ala KW) by signing Pena and Wood....which may not make much sense to some. Woods contract is team friendly and only one year, and Pena , while the over paid, is only one year. It's a no lose situation for them....if he performs and they are out of it, he is perfect trade bait. If he doesn't perform...then it's only a one year contract and they'll be in the market for a Price Fielder next year. They also keep the outside pressure on the Cards to sign Pujols...with the fear that he could become a Cub in FA(being one of the few teams with a need and the resources to pay him).

Like I said, I take great pleasure in the Cubs failure, but it seems they at least have a longer term plan and are sticking to it. The Ricketts are not going to come right out and say 2011 is a transition year (which die hard Cub fans readily admit) just because it's bad business to draw fans and advertising $. Who knows if their plan to build through the farm and add FA will work.....I hope it doesn't break their way.

Lyle Mouton
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

If you want to read that much into such an immense bargain, go for it. Myself, I'd be pleased as could be if I was a Cub fan, knowing the risk/reward factor and the fact that, should Wood perform well and the Cubs suck (the latter a give-in, the former something of a 50/50 chance), management can unload him on July 31st for a good package.

everafan
12-27-2010, 02:56 PM
The year one deal would have been much more effective had they used the Men In Black with their little "flashy thing " to wipe everyone's memory.

The reality is the slogan should have been " Year 102 "

How big of a joke is this franchise, asking their fanbase to dismiss 102 years of failure?

The one thing I will say is this.....over the past few years, the CUbs have marketed the " Wrigley Field " experience, and now this " way of life " bull****. That speaks volumes about the team and it's fanbase. They could give a **** about the team or if it wins or loses....just give me the experience..and another Old Style...CUBBBBBBBBBBIESSSSS!!!!

I think the Ricketts' family is trying to go back to the lovable losers theme. "It's a way of life" simply means that you're trapped - love the Cubs and love the losing. They have done nothing to compete in 2011. Long run it might be the right move to just wait until all the bad contracts come off the boooks but it would never fly on the south side.

ewokpelts
12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
btw, the cubs got the better end of the silva deal. they traded milton bradley and got silva PLUS cash. seattle was too eager to dump him.

TDog
12-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't think this is so bad, although it doesn't project optimism.

Strictly speaking, the Cubs shouldn't need a marketing slogan. The fact that the Cubs now seem to need a marketing slogan, this isn't so bad.

Like most marketing slogans, this can be easily turned if the team doesn't win. An argument can be made that marketing slogans only work if they aren't needed due to the team's success. But this one addresses what being a Cubs fan is supposed to be about, working the tradition cleverly into it. I wouldn't be surprised if the original idea had a loss flag to begin life. That would have deemed too negative, but to the fan it would strike a chord with, the negativity wouldn't have mattered.

SOXPHILE
12-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Didn't they do this already, in 2006 ? After the Sox won the Series in '05, some of them sorta confronted Hendry at the Cubs convention the following January, saying they felt Sox fans were laughing at them (they were right), and what were the Cubs and managment going to do about it ?
Then, towards the end of that glorious 96 loss 2006 season, I remember a few assclowns organizing some sort of protest outside of Wrigley Field, and maybe burning their Cubs hats or something and demanding they put a winning team on the field. Not sure what that got them or what it accomplished. Wrigley was sold out again in 2007 as the Cubs sorta backed their way into the playoffs, only to be swept in the first round. The 2008 season was also sold out as the Cubs charged to the division and were favorites in the playoffs, but once again swept in the first round. Then came last years train wreck of a season. Again, sold out. I don't think there's ever going to be a "revolution" and things will revert back to pre-1984, which is how long this "thing" has been going on. What I think might happen is if there is continued failure for them while the other four Chicago teams experience some success, and win the occasional championship (2005, 2010), there might be a gradual eroding of support and attention paid to them over the course of several seasons. The fact the Cubs Convention isn't sold out yet could be a part of this.

Foulke You
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
there might be a gradual eroding of support and attention paid to them over the course of several seasons. The fact the Cubs Convention isn't sold out yet could be a part of this.
I would say that this is already starting to occur. Despite the paid attendance at Wrigley being high, there were tons of no shows and empty seats in the second half of last season. TV and radio ratings were way down and this is the first time I can ever remember the Cubs convention not selling out right away. The Cubs have too much of a nationwide brand especially in midwest states like Iowa, Indiana, Southern Illinois, etc. to ever tread into Indians or Pirates like levels of apathy but they might start feeling the financial pinch of lower ratings and lost conession revenue from no shows if things don't turn around for them soon. IF Ricketts keeps the payroll where it is, they should have a lot of money to spend in the offseason leading into the 2012 campaign as contracts begin to expire. The question I'd be asking if I was a Cubs fan is whether Jim Hendry should be the guy to spend that money.