PDA

View Full Version : Who Knew Jenks Was A Red Sox Fan ???

SCCWS
12-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Like many of the players who have signed this winter, Jenks, 29, grew up across the country (California, Idaho, and Washington State) but insists he was a fan of the Red Sox. “Just a lot of winning tradition” was the reason, Jenks said. “Even through the whole Curse thing, Boston was one of those teams you grew up liking and one of my favorite teams growing up. Having the chance, who wouldn’t want to jump on it.”

Medically, he said, he was cleared to pitch at the end of the season, and was throwing rehab sessions at 100 percent effort. He believes he should have no problems come spring training. So add all that up, and it equals this: on a two-year, $12-million contract, with other middle relievers signing three-year deals, Epstein got a potential steal in Jenks.

Thome25
12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Who cares? Red Sawx fans, Players claiming to have been Red Sawx fans and ESPN can take this love-fest and ****ing shove it.

LITTLE NELL
12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
With that physique of his, he makes up a good percentage of Red Sox nation.

rdwj
12-22-2010, 08:13 AM
With that physique of his, he makes up a good percentage of Red Sox nation.

You've seen our fans, right? Glass house my friend.

ChiSox81
12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Who cares? Red Sawx fans, Players claiming to have been Red Sawx fans and ESPN can take this love-fest and ****ing shove it.

You seem to have some anger issues.

I am not going to call Jenks a liar, but I think a decent amount of these athletes who claim to be fans of their new teams are just trying to endear themselves to the fan base.

Boondock Saint
12-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Like many of the players who have signed this winter, Jenks, 29, grew up across the country (California, Idaho, and Washington State) but insists he was a fan of the Red Sox. “Just a lot of winning tradition” was the reason, Jenks said. “Even through the whole Curse thing, Boston was one of those teams you grew up liking and one of my favorite teams growing up. Having the chance, who wouldn’t want to jump on it.”

Medically, he said, he was cleared to pitch at the end of the season, and was throwing rehab sessions at 100 percent effort. He believes he should have no problems come spring training. So add all that up, and it equals this: on a two-year, $12-million contract, with other middle relievers signing three-year deals, Epstein got a potential steal in Jenks.

That's where he lost me.

Rocky Soprano
12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
You seem to have some anger issues.

I doubt it, Thome25 is just sick of everything Red Sox and Yankees like most of us.

Did he really say Red Sox and winning tradition in the same sentence?
When he was growing up, what did the Red Sox win?

That's just like when someone signs with the Cubs and they can shut up about tradition. What tradition? Losing?!

ewokpelts
12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
it's just fatty trying to make a case for closer.

cws05champ
12-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Who knew Johnny Damon always wanted to be a Tiger....

TheOldRoman
12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
with that physique of his, he makes up a good percentage of red sox nation.FAT iZ FUNNY!!11!

LongLiveFisk
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
:cleo

"I see Roadhouse in this thread's future!"

hi im skot
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
As a guy new to a team, Jenks is saying all the right things.

He's being a politician; newly-acquired players do this ALL THE TIME.

NBD.

asindc
12-22-2010, 10:00 AM
You've seen our fans, right? Glass house my friend.

Our fans don't get paid millions of dollars to perform athletic feats at the highest level.

doublem23
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Our fans don't get paid millions of dollars to perform athletic feats at the highest level.

I don't think Red Sox fans do, either.

Guys, we're Americans, there's no point in making fun of one segment of the population or another, we're all a bunch of fat slobs.

kittle42
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Guys, we're Americans, there's no point in making fun of one segment of the population or another, we're all a bunch of fat slobs.

Amen to that. Fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life, son...unless you live in the US!

slavko
12-22-2010, 10:41 AM
No fat people in North Korea. No food, no economy either. I like here better. Jenks is being political, no harm in that, go to work tomorrow and tell everybody that you liked the last place better. That'll win you friends.

kittle42
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
go to work tomorrow and tell everybody that you liked the last place better. That'll win you friends.

Actually, given that most people hate their jobs, that likely *would* make friends!

asindc
12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

I had read Little Nell's comment as pertaining to Jenks only. BTW, speak for yourself.:D:

Rohan
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM

NBD.

Common sense right there. Stop hating on one of the greatest closers the White Sox have ever had.

sullythered
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
If by, "winning traditions" he means, "two seasons fueled by a couple of chemically-enhanced science projects," OK.

trilobite_hives
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
This is a horrible thread. He is just giving the standard issue line that any new player gives when he goes to a new team. People poking fun at Bobby and discounting what he did for the White Sox should be ashamed of themselves.

kittle42
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
This is a horrible thread. He is just giving the standard issue line that any new player gives when he goes to a new team. People poking fun at Bobby and discounting what he did for the White Sox should be ashamed of themselves.

Agreed. People love to get mad over nonsense.

DSpivack
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
He just wants to walk in Keith Foulke's footsteps.

SephClone89
12-22-2010, 12:48 PM

120 lbs.

trilobite_hives
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
120 lbs.

Since you are not overweight you are a better person than the average American, and also allowed to make fun of Bobby Jenks and discount all of the things he contributed to the White Sox during his time with the team.

Corlose 15
12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Amen to that. Fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life, son...unless you live in the US!

It's fat, drunk, and stupid.

soxlady8
12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I think Jenks was just trying to "say the right things" for the fans.
He had a very big fan base here (which I am sure he will miss ) .
His "BOOM" song when he came out and all the people cheering was just dynamic !!
He not only has to prove himself by playing well , but schmoozing too will help him , not hinder him !

As for the population of Americans getting bigger and bigger --
It is true . Look at what has got us here though.

** Food servings have gotten ridiculous and we feel it is wasted if we don't eat it up. I grew up with an old school European Grandmother who
told me that there were starving kids all over the world. Look at how lucky I am and I should eat all the food. I am sure many of us have had
that mentality pushed in our brains too.

**Childhood/pre-teen/teenager lifestyles have changed. When I grew up there were no video games, computers (well there were, but very primative ), no widespread cable/dvds etc. FUN for me was playing outside with my brother and our friends almost everyday even in the dang winter ( Running , Jumping , Rollerskating , Sledding, Bike Riding, Sports etc. etc). I was a chubby kid , but by no means huge like many of the children I see out there today. Also , physical education has gone by the wayside. I had PE everyday growing up. The kids in Public Schools are lucky to see gym once a week. My 5th graders are thrilled because they have it twice a week.
**Physical Activity is not a priority in this economy too. People hustle long hours at their jobs . I know people who have been into working out alot , but have cut back to make sure they are working extra hours/putting in extra effort SO they don't lose their jobs. Gym memberships are often the first thing cut.

doublem23
12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I had read Little Nell's comment as pertaining to Jenks only. BTW, speak for yourself.:D:

120 lbs.

Well, it's not to be taken as an idividualized comment, it's just silly when you post "all Red Sox fans are fat," and then someone elses says, "that's ironic because all White Sox fans are fat."

This is ****ing America. Take any segment of the population and it will be fat.

LITTLE NELL
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
FWIW, I was not taking a shot at fat people. I was taking a shot at a player that is making millions a year and can't do a better job of staying in shape. I'm sure he would have a lot less injuries if he was in any kind of shape. I think the White Sox brass came to the same conclusion.

doublem23
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
FWIW, I was not taking a shot at fat people. I was taking a shot at a player that is making millions a year and can't do a better job of staying in shape. I'm sure he would have a lot less injuries if he was in any kind of shape. I think the White Sox brass came to the same conclusion.

That and the fact they'd probably have to pay him near $10 M this season.

We've hammered this point home numerous times, some people are just fat. Even back in the day when most people weren't as big, there were always some big fatasses slubbing around. Babe Ruth, widely considered the best baseball player ever, had a BMI that is technically overweight. Who knows?

kittle42
12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
It's fat, drunk, and stupid.

Well, I was too lazy to look it up!

downstairs
12-22-2010, 02:46 PM
That and the fact they'd probably have to pay him near $10 M this season.

We've hammered this point home numerous times, some people are just fat. Even back in the day when most people weren't as big, there were always some big fatasses slubbing around. Babe Ruth, widely considered the best baseball player ever, had a BMI that is technically overweight. Who knows?

Agreed. Kirby Puckett, Babe Ruth, Tony Gwynn... all hall of famers, all pretty fat.

spawn
12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, I was too lazy to look it up!

Or too stupid. :wink:

SephClone89
12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Also , physical education has gone by the wayside. I had PE everyday growing up. The kids in Public Schools are lucky to see gym once a week. My 5th graders are thrilled because they have it twice a week.

I always had gym at least twice a week in school. Sometimes, five days a week.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I always had gym at least twice a week in school. Sometimes, five days a week.

I had my entire primary and secondary education in Illinois, where during those years, daily PE was mandatory for grades 6-12. (That may have changed since then.) Before sixth grade, we were always much more active during recess than we were during PE, where we spent most of the time sitting quietly in our "squads," occasionally doing lame "drills" with soccer balls, basketballs, etc. Our junior high PE teacher tended to push us pretty hard when we were in sex-segregated PE, but that was the exception. But high school PE was a joke. The teachers spent more time lazily taking attendance and trying to herd us into our chosen activities. When we had fitness center, we only lifted a weight or pedaled the stationary bicycle when the teacher was looking our direction. Other than when we had to run the mile, I never took a shower after high school PE because I never broke a sweat because we never did a damn thing.

EDIT: I don't care how fat or thin a pitcher or player is, but his excess fat better not keep him from performing his best, especially if he has a big contract.

soxlady8
12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I had my entire primary and secondary education in Illinois, where during those years, daily PE was mandatory for grades 6-12. (That may have changed since then.) Before sixth grade, we were always much more active during recess than we were during PE, where we spent most of the time sitting quietly in our "squads," occasionally doing lame "drills" with soccer balls, basketballs, etc. Our junior high PE teacher tended to push us pretty hard when we were in sex-segregated PE, but that was the exception. But high school PE was a joke. The teachers spent more time lazily taking attendance and trying to herd us into our chosen activities. When we had fitness center, we only lifted a weight or pedaled the stationary bicycle when the teacher was looking our direction. Other than when we had to run the mile, I never took a shower after high school PE because I never broke a sweat because we never did a damn thing.

EDIT: I don't care how fat or thin a pitcher or player is, but his excess fat better not keep him from performing his best, especially if he has a big contract.

I think Illinois is a state that does require PE of some sort.
Other states DO NOT require PE in their curriculum. I can ask my colleague who is a gym teacher about that .

Jenks I believe had a problem w conditioning. His fluctuation w weight doesn't help him either. In Spring Training last year I hardly recognized Jenks. He was very slender. Then he gained weight the whole year. There have been other years like that too.

The gaining and losing of weight DOES take a toll on your body.
I was a competitive figure skater who lost weight suddenly due to illness one competitive season. Prior to Nationals-- I had lost 40 pounds in 3 months due to Mono. Two weeks before the competition I got the go ahead to practice after being off for 3 months (don't skate , you can mess up your spleen ). I looked GREAT. I wore a size 6, down from my performance size 10 . However, my skates were loose , costumes loose , and I could not perform what I had to do. My muscles had turned to jello mostly !! I lost all my jumps and the velocity of my spins was too slow. I did compete , but I shouldn't have :( It was a train WRECK !! I worked hard after that competition to gain the weight sensibly and about a year later I got all my JUMPS/Spins back. My performance level that year was putrid. I almost quit . Even though one would think I could jump higher + spin faster because of less weight ... it totally screwed me up !!

GoGoCrede
12-22-2010, 06:12 PM

NBD.

Exactly. Kind of a non-issue, imo.

parlaycard
12-22-2010, 06:57 PM
In Spring Training last year I hardly recognized Jenks.

Who did you think the guy was with the bleached hair on his chin?

Brian26
12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
“Just a lot of winning tradition” was the reason, Jenks said. “Even through the whole Curse thing, Boston was one of those teams you grew up liking and one of my favorite teams growing up. Having the chance, who wouldn’t want to jump on it.”

I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm guessing most major league players were fans of the game growing up, and I'd also guess most players don't get to play with the team they rooted for as a child.

There really shouldn't be a surprise that Jenks wasn't a White Sox fan in the 80s when he was growing up in a different part of the country.

asindc
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Exactly how I had interpreted it.

This is exactly the point I was implying with my earlier post.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 10:32 AM
This is exactly the point I was implying with my earlier post.

Seriously, he's getting paid millions of dollars to do what millions of other boys and men could only dream of doing, and almost every time he enters the game with a lead and often with the bases empty. I know closing takes an exceptionally high degree of mental focus and emotional control, but for crimeny sakes, can't he have the decency and respect to us legions of fans and paying customers who pay his salary to lock down a game that the rest of his team has fought so hard to be on the brink of winning, to get his ****ing lazy butt on a ****ing treadmill so he can be in prime physical conditioning and most prepared to play in those crucial situations?

Again, I don't give a **** if he's fat, but he damn well better be conditioned, be able to make pitches, and be able to make plays.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Seriously, he's getting paid millions of dollars to do what millions of other boys and men could only dream of doing, and almost every time he enters the game with a lead and often with the bases empty. I know closing takes an exceptionally high degree of mental focus and emotional control, but for crimeny sakes, can't he have the decency and respect to us legions of fans and paying customers who pay his salary to lock down a game that the rest of his team has fought so hard to be on the brink of winning, to get his ****ing lazy butt on a ****ing treadmill so he can be in prime physical conditioning and most prepared to play in those crucial situations?

Again, I don't give a **** if he's fat, but he damn well better be conditioned, be able to make pitches, and be able to make plays.
He doesn't owe you a dang thing. You don't pay him crap.

If the people that actually sign his check continue to sign his checks whatever condition he's in, it doesn't matter what the hell you think.

Your whining about it is just stupid.

asindc
12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
He doesn't owe you a dang thing. You don't pay him crap.

If the people that actually sign his check continue to sign his checks whatever condition he's in, it doesn't matter what the hell you think.

Your whining about it is just stupid.

Following your logic, that can be said about complaining about the GM, the Manager, the Hitting Coach, the Director of Scouting, etc.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Following your logic, that can be said about complaining about the GM, the Manager, the Hitting Coach, the Director of Scouting, etc.
They got rid of him. If it was such a problem for them, they should've done it a long time ago. But they didn't, so their whining was just that, whining. If they really wanted him to lose weight, they'd have done something about it.

Continuing to complain about Jenks' weight is 1. inaccurate and 2. just stupid.

Zisk77
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM

I resemble this remark!:redface:

asindc
12-23-2010, 11:04 AM
They got rid of him. If it was such a problem for them, they should've done it a long time ago. But they didn't, so their whining was just that, whining. If they really wanted him to lose weight, they'd have done something about it.

Continuing to complain about Jenks' weight is 1. inaccurate and 2. just stupid.

They did do something about it.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
They did do something about it.
I know. He's in Boston.

But I have no idea why people continue to complain about it here.

Zisk77
12-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I know. He's in Boston.

But I have no idea why people continue to complain about it here.

Because some people are just miserable and they are not happy unless everyone else is miserable as well.

TheOldRoman
12-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Continuing to complain about Jenks' weight is 1. inaccurate and 2. just stupid.You mean it's not intelligent discourse to curse at a guy and call him a fatass just because my team lost? I always got a kick out of the fanbase thinking Bobby weighed 350, thinking he gained 50 pounds over the offseason the first time they saw him each year and attributing all his struggles to weight. Any time he went through a rough stretch people would start yelling that it was because he was obese and it looked as if he put on 30 pounds during the season. When Thornton had a bad game, "it happens." When Jenks did, it was because he was fat. Of course, when Bobby was in the midst of good stretches I surmised that it was because he had dropped a bunch of weight recently.

Bobby walked a few batters? "He has been putting on too much weight. He is way bigger than last year. He is probably drinking again, too"
Bobby blew a save? "**** you, you ****ing fat drunken piece of ****. Maybe if you practiced pitching instead of eating cheeseburgers you would have closed this game out. I hope you die!"

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I think it is likely that Bobby Jenks is poorly conditioned, which led to his numerous minor ailments, which in turn likely affected his ability to pitch.

If not for the paying fans, who either support the teams directly by buying tickets, concessions, parking; or buy the products advertised on telecasts, the teams would not have millions of dollars to pay these players.

So yes, we ARE indirectly paying him.

And the Sox not offering him arbitration or a contract demonstrates they didn't want to risk that much money on him. And given that he's played for them since 2005, I'd say the Sox know more about him - and what his value and risks are - than anyone else.

asindc
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
You mean it's not intelligent discourse to curse at a guy and call him a fatass just because my team lost? I always got a kick out of the fanbase thinking Bobby weighed 350, thinking he gained 50 pounds over the offseason the first time they saw him each year and attributing all his struggles to weight. Any time he went through a rough stretch people would start yelling that it was because he was obese and it looked as if he put on 30 pounds during the season. When Thornton had a bad game, "it happens." When Jenks did, it was because he was fat. Of course, when Bobby was in the midst of good stretches I surmised that it was because he had dropped a bunch of weight recently.

Bobby walked a few batters? "He has been putting on too much weight. He is way bigger than last year. He is probably drinking again, too"
Bobby blew a save? "**** you, you ****ing fat drunken piece of ****. Maybe if you practiced pitching instead of eating cheeseburgers you would have closed this game out. I hope you die!"

Generally I agree with this, but in Jenks' case we are talking about something specifically addressed by the player and the team several times while he was here. As Frater said, who cares if he is fat as long as it is no interfering with his ability to get the job done. In Jenks' case, however, he admitted that his poor diet and conditioning has contributed to some of his poor play. The organization had said that they had addressed that with him (so did LAAAAAA, for that matter).

So in this case my comments concern something that the player and the team had publicly addressed and acknowledged as a problem for him. In Jenks' case it happens to be his poor conditioning as exhibited in part by his weight problems. With another player it could be gambling. With yet another it could be too much partying. In any case, we have discussed a player's problems on this site more times than anyone can count. I see no difference in this case.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Generally I agree with this, but in Jenks' case we are talking about something specifically addressed by the player and the team several times while he was here. As Frater said, who cares if he is fat as long as it is no interfering with his ability to get the job done. In Jenks' case, however, he admitted that his poor diet and conditioning has contributed to some of his poor play. The organization had said that they had addressed that with him (so did LAAAAAA, for that matter).

So in this case my comments concern something that the player and the team had publicly addressed and acknowledged as a problem for him. In Jenks' case it happens to be his poor conditioning as exhibited in part by his weight problems. With another player it could be gambling. With yet another it could be too much partying. In any case, we have discussed a player's problems on this site more times than anyone can count. I see no difference in this case.
I don't see anyone on here calling out people for their on field performance because of their gambling/drinking/drug/women/ other off field problems.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I think it is likely that Bobby Jenks is poorly conditioned, which led to his numerous minor ailments, which in turn likely affected his ability to pitch.

If not for the paying fans, who either support the teams directly by buying tickets, concessions, parking; or buy the products advertised on telecasts, the teams would not have millions of dollars to pay these players.

So yes, we ARE indirectly paying him.

And the Sox not offering him arbitration or a contract demonstrates they didn't want to risk that much money on him. And given that he's played for them since 2005, I'd say the Sox know more about him - and what his value and risks are - than anyone else.
1. Then what's Quentin's problem?

2. Then don't spend your money on the team if you don't want them hiring such obviously incompetent players.

asindc
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't see anyone on here calling out people for their on field performance because of their gambling/drinking/drug/women/ other off field problems.

Then you haven't been paying attention during the Brian Anderson discussions.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Then you haven't been paying attention during the Brian Anderson discussions.
I generally don't pay attention to anything having to do with Brian Anderson because it eventually turns into how the Sox screwed over the next Willie Mays.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Threads like this make me question why we pride ourselves on being such a knowledgeable fan base when there is crap like this.

Bobby was the best closer we've had since Thigpen and won us a World Series. Who gives a **** if he's fat? It didn't stop him from blowing pitches by Bagwell when it mattered. Without Bobby, there is no way the 2005 team wins the Word Series after Shingo burned out and Hermanson got hurt. Do you think Damaso Marte would've stepped into the closer role?

Why not be gentlemen and thank Jenks for what he did instead of being butthurt? That being said, I hope Boston sucks this year.

DumpJerry
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
This thread is beyond ridiculous.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
:threadsucks

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:14 PM
1. Then what's Quentin's problem?

2. Then don't spend your money on the team if you don't want them hiring such obviously incompetent players.

I have no idea what Quentin's problem is. If it is mental/psychological, as some have speculated, I would hope that the Sox would recommend he seek professional help, which could range anywhere from yoga/meditation, to seeing a therapist, to meds.

The Sox essentially FIRED Jenks by not offering him arbitration and not offering him a contract. And I don't recall very much weeping or gnashing of teeth over that decision. He's not incompetent. He's poorly conditioned and it affects his performance. As a professional athlete, it is his job to be in prime physical condition to maximize his God-given pitching abilities.

TheOldRoman
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM

So in this case my comments concern something that the player and the team had publicly addressed and acknowledged as a problem for him. In Jenks' case it happens to be his poor conditioning as exhibited in part by his weight problems. With another player it could be gambling. With yet another it could be too much partying. In any case, we have discussed a player's problems on this site more times than anyone can count. I see no difference in this case.I wasn't referring to you, as from what I have seen of your posts you normally have rational thoughts. There were legitimate concerns about his conditioning, yes. However, after every loss or even a poor outing in which Bobby got the save, the lunatics would take over postgame threads with "**** you, you fat piece of ****." The "you cost us the game, therefore you are the worst human being ever" tantrum doesn't really lend itself to a rational discussion. It is akin to a child stomping its feet and yelling "I hate you" to its parents for not buying her a toy. And in their warped minds, Bobby actually got much much fatter during the season, conviniently at times when he was struggling.

When Bobby was shakey to start 2010, it was because he was "the fattest he has ever been" (despite losing considerable weight in the offseason). He was lights out in June until the issue with him missing time due to his wife's mysterious ailment. When he was pitching well, not a comment was made about his weight (so apparently it didn't hamper him during that time period). When he started struggling again in July, he had "put all the weight back on" and some even said his absense was because he started drinking again.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I have no idea what Quentin's problem is. If it is mental/psychological, as some have speculated, I would hope that the Sox would recommend he seek professional help, which could range anywhere from yoga/meditation, to seeing a therapist, to meds.

The Sox essentially FIRED Jenks by not offering him arbitration and not offering him a contract. And I don't recall very much weeping or gnashing of teeth over that decision. He's not incompetent. He's poorly conditioned and it affects his performance. As a professional athlete, it is his job to be in prime physical condition to maximize his God-given pitching abilities.
That's a much more reasoned answer than he owes you something.

Daver
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
This thread is beyond ridiculous.

This thread is a hoot.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Bobby was the best closer we've had since Thigpen and won us a World Series. Who gives a **** if he's fat? It didn't stop him from blowing pitches by Bagwell when it mattered. Without Bobby, there is no way the 2005 team wins the Word Series after Shingo burned out and Hermanson got hurt. Do you think Damaso Marte would've stepped into the closer role?

Why not be gentlemen and thank Jenks for what he did instead of being butthurt? That being said, I hope Boston sucks this year.

I thank Jenks for his stellar performance in 2005, and for the many saves he locked down in subsequent seasons. But since that time, and especially in 2009-2010, his performance declined, in part due to nagging injuries that were due in part to his poor conditioning, as Jenks himself has admitted! These two statements are not mutually exclusive!

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I thank Jenks for his stellar performance in 2005, and for the many saves he locked down in subsequent seasons. But since that time, and especially in 2009-2010, his performance declined, in part due to nagging injuries that were due in part to his poor conditioning, as Jenks himself has admitted! These two statements are not mutually exclusive!

If conditioning is his problem, then why was 2010 so bad for him when he was in the best shape of his career? Shouldn't have that been his best year by your logic?

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
That's a much more reasoned answer than he owes you something.

Every player owes every fan the courtesy of performing his best. Part of performing his best is being in the best possible physical condition!

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
If conditioning is his problem, then why was 2010 so bad for him when he was in the best shape of his career? Shouldn't have that been his best year by your logic?

He was in the best shape of his career in 2010? Source? Link?

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Every player owes every fan the courtesy of performing his best. Part of performing his best is being in the best possible physical condition!
Why do they owe you anything? Because you pay to watch them play a game?

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
He was in the best shape of his career in 2010? Source? Link?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-02-22/sports/ct-spt-0223-white-sox-chicago--20100222_1_bobby-jenks-shape-belts

Oh and how is that weight problem hurting C.C. Sabathia? Isn't he experiences long DL streaks and blowing games right and left too?

Perhaps Jenks problem this year was that people were able to hit the fastball. Any major leaguer can hit heat. It's the breaking pitches that Bobby couldn't get over. It forced him to throw the fastball and it got lit up. That comes down to mechanics. It's why he lights out for stretches of 15 appearances or so and then garbage for a few.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Why do they owe you anything? Because you pay to watch them play a game?

Bobby Jenks owes us nothing. He owes the organization that pays him something, but us nothing.

DumpJerry
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
This thread is Exhibit A is why MLB should have 12 month-long seasons. Keep the fans distracted from silliness.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
This thread is Exhibit A is why MLB should have 12 month-long seasons. Keep the fans distracted from silliness.

This is one of the few posts that makes sense in this thread.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-02-22/sports/ct-spt-0223-white-sox-chicago--20100222_1_bobby-jenks-shape-belts

Oh and how is that weight problem hurting C.C. Sabathia? Isn't he experiences long DL streaks and blowing games right and left too?

Perhaps Jenks problem this year was that people were able to hit the fastball. Any major leaguer can hit heat. It's the breaking pitches that Bobby couldn't get over. It forced him to throw the fastball and it got lit up. That comes down to mechanics. It's why he lights out for stretches of 15 appearances or so and then garbage for a few.

Jenks suffered a nagging calf injury. A minor, nagging calf injury is going to affect mechanics, which in turn would cause him to have less command of his breaking pitches.

A nagging calf injury very well could be the result of poor conditioning.

EDIT: It's also possible to lose weight but have your conditioning actually get worse, since muscle weighs more than fat.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Jenks suffered a nagging calf injury. A minor, nagging calf injury is going to affect mechanics, which in turn would cause him to have less command of his breaking pitches.

A nagging calf injury very well could be the result of poor conditioning.

Except for the fact he was conditioned this year. Far better than he had been in some years.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Except for the fact he was conditioned this year. Far better than he had been in some years.

It's possible to lose weight but be in worse shape. Muscle weighs more than fat.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Frater, you seem to know everything about why our pitchers are strugging after years of success. Please enlighten us on why Peavy gets injured. Is it his weight too? Why has Buehrle struggled after his no-hitters? I hope it isn't weight related.

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
It's possible to lose weight but be in worse shape. Muscle weighs more than fat.

That is true, but Jenks wouldn't have been slimmer had he lost muscle and replaced it with fat. Jenks was noticeably slimmer last season.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Frater, you seem to know everything about why our pitchers are strugging after years of success. Please enlighten us on why Peavy gets injured. Is it his weight too? Why has Buehrle struggled after his no-hitters? I hope it isn't weight related.

All I need to know is that the Sox refused to offer him arbitration and refused to offer him a contract. They didn't want him anymore, and the Sox know more about Jenks than anyone else does!

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 01:49 PM
That is true, but Jenks wouldn't have been slimmer had he lost muscle and replaced it with fat. Jenks was noticeably slimmer last season.

Were his legs stronger? Neither of us knows that, but based on the public record, we all know that he reported having calf problems, and missed a number of games due to that problem, and also had trouble with his mechanics, which led to him lacking command of his breaking pitches.

DumpJerry
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
For those of you who do not want to read this entire thread, I give this summary:
http://www.vertigoswirl.com/diffscans/VERTIGO.jpg

gobears1987
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM
All I need to know is that the Sox refused to offer him arbitration and refused to offer him a contract. They didn't want him anymore, and the Sox know more about Jenks than anyone else does!
1: Arbitration would've resulted in much too large of a salary for Bobby. You know that is case as Bobby has put together some good seasons.

2: Why shoud they have offered him a contract? He was going to cost too much in free agency and we knew it. $12 million over 2 years is overpaying for any relief pitcher not named Mariano Rivera.

Another point, the Sox also refused the same for Frank Thomas after 2005. It didn't mean he was a bad player. It just meant the Sox wanted to move on to another direction.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
1: Arbitration would've resulted in much too large of a salary for Bobby. You know that is case as Bobby has put together some good seasons.

2: Why shoud they have offered him a contract? He was going to cost too much in free agency and we knew it. $12 million over 2 years is overpaying for any relief pitcher not named Mariano Rivera.

Another point, the Sox also refused the same for Frank Thomas after 2005. It didn't mean he was a bad player. It just meant the Sox wanted to move on to another direction.

I never said Jenks was a bad player. I said he was poorly conditioned.

It's interesting that you bring up Frank Thomas. That's an interesting example. Frank has just missed most of the two previous seasons due to a foot injury. His weight put more stress on his foot, as well. I was on record as wanting him to return to the 2006 Sox, and I criticized the Sox for not re-signing him, even though he was 37/38 years old and clearly in decline. But even still, he went to Oakland, rehabbed his foot, and to help his foot heal quicker, LOST WEIGHT AND GOT IN BETTER SHAPE, and had an outstanding season.

I honestly and sincerely hope that Jenks, at age 29/30, uses not being retained by the Sox as motivation to lose weight and get in better shape and that he has a great 2011, not unlike Frank Thomas' 2006 with the Athletics. Why? Because as annoying as the Red Sox are, I would MUCH rather have them win the division than the despicable and detestable Yankees.

asindc
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM

It isn't, but I don't recall Sabathia having specifically addressed his weight affecting his performance like Jenks has.

NLaloosh
12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
I doubt it, Thome25 is just sick of everything Red Sox and Yankees like most of us.

Did he really say Red Sox and winning tradition in the same sentence?
When he was growing up, what did the Red Sox win?

That's just like when someone signs with the Cubs and they can shut up about tradition. What tradition? Losing?!

Red Sox and Cubs history is nothing alike. The Red Sox do have a great winning tradition. They didn't win the WS for a long time but they played in many WS. Not only that but they usually put a competitive team with a winning record on the field.

Conversely, the cubs haven't even played in a WS for nearly 70 years and they've had many many losing seasons in or around last place. They had 6 losing decades in a row - 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's!

thomas35forever
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
How the **** did this thread get to be so long?

Lip Man 1
12-23-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1224-rogers-bobby-jenks--20101223,0,5838218.column

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1224-rogers-bobby-jenks--20101223,0,5838218.column

Lip

I saw that too. And amid heaping much-deserved praise upon Jenks, Rogers admits letting Jenks go was the right move.

parlaycard
12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
How the **** did this thread get to be so long?

Exactly, this should be nominated for dumbest thread of the month

asindc
12-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Lip

I think that is a fair assessment for the most part. Jenks was certainly clutch during the postseason, and seemed to come through in the biggest games during the regular season, the last two seasons excepted.