PDA

View Full Version : Jared Mitchell question

bigcobra
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone know how is rehab is going, and what the chances are that he'll be called up this year? Any information is appreciated.

DirtySox
12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
His rehab went well enough that he played in the AFL last month where he was dreadful.

There is almost zero chance he is called up next year. I hope the Sox start him in W-S, but I have a feeling he's going to be in Birmingham.

cards press box
12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
His rehab went well enough that he played in the AFL last month where he was dreadful.

There is almost zero chance he is called up next year. I hope the Sox start him in W-S, but I have a feeling he's going to be in Birmingham.

I saw Mitchell play in the AFL All-Star game and he looked healthy. He played CF and seemed to run fairly well. Health is the key thing here. If Mitchell can run and play without pain, I expect that the baseball skills will ultimately be fine.

DumpJerry
12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
On The Score a few weeks back, they said he would be a good football player.

ghostface36
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
this dude is gonna ball out when he hits the majors if it wasn't for that injury i could have seen them sticking him in triple for a few weeks then calling him up

DumpJerry
12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
this dude is gonna ball out when he hits the majors if it wasn't for that injury i could have seen them sticking him in triple for a few weeks then calling him up
That is not what scouts are saying. They say "good athlete." Not exactly a ringing endorsement. These are the same people who feel he should be in football because of his speed. Maybe the Bears should pick him up.

Domeshot17
12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Mitchell is years away. The kid had to be completely broken down and rebuilt when we drafted him healthy, and we lost a year on that. We will be lucky if he develops into much at this point. He has 5 tools and no idea how to use most of them.

russ99
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Mitchell was Louisiana player of the year in baseball his senior year of HS.

He then played 2 years of football as a backup WR at LSU, then got permission from the football coach to switch to baseball his last year.

Despite his talent level, he only played baseball one year at the college level, so he's a bit behind the curve, skill wise. He did do well in the adjustment from aluminum to wood bats his first year in the Sox system. but the injury set him back further.

He has a lot to learn at the plate. The soonest I'd expect him to threaten a big league job would be 2013.

But most scouts see him as a 5-tool player in the mold of a Carl Crawford, so investing another 2-3 more years of development time would be well worth it.

Hopefully they'll start him in Birmingham this year and keep him there all season.

Domeshot17
12-21-2010, 10:40 PM

He then played 2 years of football as a backup WR at LSU, then got permission from the football coach to switch to baseball his last year.

Despite his talent level, he only played baseball one year at the college level, so he's a bit behind the curve, skill wise. He did do well in the adjustment from aluminum to wood bats his first year in the Sox system. but the injury set him back further.

He has a lot to learn at the plate. The soonest I'd expect him to threaten a big league job would be 2013.

But most scouts see him as a 5-tool player in the mold of a Carl Crawford, so investing another 2-3 more years of development time would be well worth it.

Hopefully they'll start him in Birmingham this year and keep him there all season.

Ive read more comparisons to Mike Cameron then Carl Crawford. Very unlikely he is going to hit for that high of an average. It would be nice to see him to learn to use his body to hit. A guy that big and strong, he could hit the ball a mile if he had any concept of squaring a ball up.

DirtySox
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Why Birmingham? AA competition was abundant in the AFL and he was severely over matched. Even in his season at Kanny he had some glaring weaknesses. Sup 35% K-rate. I really hope Winston-Salem is the highest he starts.

Daver
12-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Ive read more comparisons to Mike Cameron then Carl Crawford. Very unlikely he is going to hit for that high of an average. It would be nice to see him to learn to use his body to hit. A guy that big and strong, he could hit the ball a mile if he had any concept of squaring a ball up.
A guy that weighs a buck and a half can hit the ball a mile if he has the eye and the timing to do it, hitting a baseball doesn't have much to do with sheer strength, it can help, but only if you have the rest.

Corlose 15
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Why Birmingham? AA competition was abundant in the AFL and he was severely over matched. Even in his season at Kanny he had some glaring weaknesses. Sup 35% K-rate. I really hope Winston-Salem is the highest he starts.

You can't really hold his AFL stats against he he hadn't played in 5 months. His play in the AFL was really nothing more than to get him some at bats and get back into playing shape so he wasn't as far behind coming into the spring.

Randar68
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
You can't really hold his AFL stats against he he hadn't played in 5 months. His play in the AFL was really nothing more than to get him some at bats and get back into playing shape so he wasn't as far behind coming into the spring.

No kidding, guy spends the whole season rehabbing and then the first live pitching he sees outside of instructional ball is in the AFL against guys who were already ahead of him at AA and AAA and had a whole year of pitching before he faced them.

Not exactly setting the kid up for success.

DonnieDarko
12-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Just give him a year or two in the minors, then cut him short if need be. Spent a draft pick on him, might as well see what you can get out of him.