PDA

View Full Version : Paul Sent Down for Alomar


Viva Magglio
06-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Proof that we are run by a bunch of incompetents.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Proof that we are run by a bunch of incompetents.

Didn't Sandy go 0 fer in his rehab starts? What the Hell, even though I don't like him, right now I'd rather have Paul than Alomar up here.

:reinsy
"Were not benching that money"

FarWestChicago
06-30-2002, 06:49 PM
LMAO!!! Another FOV...

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Please, where in the hell has this uproar of support for Josh Paul come from? Jesus.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Please, where in the hell has this uproar of support for Josh Paul come from? Jesus.

You'd rather have Sandy playing than Paul? I said Paul sucks and he does but he's hitting now, which is a lot more than I can say about Sandy. But can't argue about it now, it's pointless, the decision has been made. But don't worry Sandy's knee's are just itching for another operation :D:

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
You'd rather have Sandy playing than Paul? I said Paul sucks and he does but he's hitting now, which is a lot more than I can say about Sandy. But can't argue about it now, it's pointless, the decision has been made. But don't worry Sandy's knee's are just itching for another operation :D:

Yeah, I would. I think his hot hitting was more of the pool table in Minnesota than his talent. I'm sure Sandy will get hurt again, it just wouldn't be White Sox baseball if he didn't.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Yeah, I would. I think his hot hitting was more of the pool table in Minnesota than his talent. I'm sure Sandy will get hurt again, it just wouldn't be White Sox baseball if he didn't.

What would that be number 9? 10?

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
What would that be number 9? 10?

I want to say 11 or 12, I think he's had like 8 on his right knee and a few on his left.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I want to say 11 or 12, I think he's had like 8 on his right knee and a few on his left.

Than I guess it's all up to which one goes out first righty of lefty :D:

ISUSoxfan
06-30-2002, 07:45 PM
Now we know why Mark Johnson is afraid to hit. Look what happened to Josh Paul when he did.

MattSharp
06-30-2002, 08:12 PM
Well I don't see what Paul could possibly do to make this team then. I mean he came up and hit well. And with Olivo on the horizon maybe Paul is gonna get traded.....

kevingrt
06-30-2002, 08:18 PM
When Dave Willis announced it he grunted and coughed then went on with no comment, kind of like all Sox fans feel!

But guys think, were you expecting different??

sox_fan_forever
06-30-2002, 09:06 PM
No, I was not expecting different. I knew they would send Paul down. However, I was hoping he would get a few more chances to see if he really could hit. Guess not...

baggio202
06-30-2002, 09:54 PM
if williams kept paul and either left sandy on the DL or cut him then he would have to admit it was a mistake to sign sandy in the first place..wouldnt surprise me if williams resigned him for next year at4 million just to try and justify the first signing...

ive liked sandy over the years and he has had a very good career but its over sandy so do the right thing and retire and let a young guy get in there thats outplaying you by a mile...let josh have his chance

duke of dorwood
06-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Paul did a great fill in job, but we cannot have 3 catchers. He will be back. Dont be surprised if MJ is traded. Remember, this regime left him off playoff roster in 2000. They are not in love with him

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
...Dont be surprised if MJ is traded. Remember, this regime left him off playoff roster in 2000. They are not in love with him

Any theories why this is? I've been scratching my head for nearly two years on this one, and still haven't a clue. Only Charles Johnson was a better defensive catcher than MJ. Niether Alomar or Paul are any better with the stick. Back in 2000 when the Sox were beating the crap out of everybody, MJ was the #1 starter. Later he was benched for CJ (perfectly reasonable), and then left off the playoff roster for Mr. Versatility (outrageous)!

Manuel and KW left him to rot at AAA most of last season, until it became obvious Josh Paul and Sandy Alomar were both complete busts. Now he struggles to get playing time, and never in the #9 slot that he succeeded so well in back in 2000.

Here's my best theory: the Sox organization is screwed up from the top down. The way they've handled Mark Johnson is the perfect example of this.

I'm open to hearing alternative theories.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Wait a minute I thought daver said that JP had to clear waivers before he went back to AAA I've read nothing about this. Did I misunderstand this part of it?

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2002, 08:58 AM
I would love to work up some indignation for the Paul move, but it's so hot out I'll save it for something that matters. He has proven himself to be a below average catcher. Still I would have liked to see him on the roster and Sandy on the DL until his hot streak passed.

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Wait a minute I thought daver said that JP had to clear waivers before he went back to AAA I've read nothing about this. Did I misunderstand this part of it?

Perhaps he had an option left, Daver said he didn't.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would love to work up some indignation for the Paul move, but it's so hot out I'll save it for something that matters. He has proven himself to be a below average catcher. Still I would have liked to see him on the roster and Sandy on the DL until his hot streak passed.

I agree. As long as Paul was hitting, why not leave Sandy's bum knees on the DL? He's certain to end up back on the DL before the season is over anyway (assuming no strike).

The Sox offense could use a kick-start, and Paul was providing it. However, I have no doubt this was a temporary phenomenon. His hitting would inevitably cool once the pitchers remember who this AAA slug is, and how they used to get him out regularly before.

Oh, and the opposing runners will begin stealing at will on him, and the wild pitches and passed balls will begin piling up, too.

Until these things started happening, leave Sandy on the DL. I'm guessing that's why Dave Wills was stunned by the news, too.

:jerry
"I only play the guys Mr. Reinsdorf is paying."

:KW
"That's why Todd Ritchie will be run out there every fifth day till his arm falls off."

:jaime
"Sounds familiar, doesn't it Sox Fans?"

soxrme
07-01-2002, 09:57 AM
I would have sent Mark Johnson down instead of Josh. Johnson is overated defensively and can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Josh at least shows some fire and can catch as well as Johnson.

Randar68
07-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Paul did a great fill in job, but we cannot have 3 catchers. He will be back. Dont be surprised if MJ is traded. Remember, this regime left him off playoff roster in 2000. They are not in love with him

WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!

Unless an everyday catcher is signed in the offseason when Sandy leaves, MJ is catching 60-75% of your White Sox games next year.

Please, are people so bored they have to pull this kind of utter crap outta their arses just to keep busy?

Soxheads
07-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Perhaps he had an option left, Daver said he didn't.


IIRC, it's the last year Paul can be optioned without going through waivers.

harwar
07-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
wouldnt surprise me if williams resigned him for next year at4 million just to try and justify the first signing...
Thats too funny ;)


Since were all sitting in the "i love josh paul" section this week, is it too late to get Julio Ramirez back in center field? Just asking. :)

Paulwny
07-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!

Unless an everyday catcher is signed in the offseason when Sandy leaves, MJ is catching 60-75% of your White Sox games next year.

Please, are people so bored they have to pull this kind of utter crap outta their arses just to keep busy?

Totally agree, Randar you're beating your head against a wall trying to explain the facts.

delben91
07-01-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny


Totally agree, Randar you're beating your head against a wall trying to explain the facts.

Randar, if you'd like to do some more venting, I could start a thread about making rowand an everyday starter over carlos or kenny :D:

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!

Unless an everyday catcher is signed in the offseason when Sandy leaves, MJ is catching 60-75% of your White Sox games next year.

Please, are people so bored they have to pull this kind of utter crap outta their arses just to keep busy?


I think Paul got quite a few turf hits on the pool table.

What are the odds of Lee Evans making the team next year? I know he's not that good, but we know how Williams likes to show off his "talent".

Randar68
07-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel



I think Paul got quite a few turf hits on the pool table.

What are the odds of Lee Evans making the team next year? I know he's not that good, but we know how Williams likes to show off his "talent".

IMO, Lee is a better offensive player than any one of our current catchers. However, he K's a lot, and is not a very good defensive catcher of game-caller. Case-in-point, Humberto Quintero was promoted from Winston-Salem to take Paul's job at AAA catcher while Sandy was on the DL. They promoted a guy from A ball to catch instead of an experienced guy in Evans.

IMO, Evans will be a career minor Leaguer. AAAA player. Olivo will be given a shot to make the squad next year to back up MJ. If he doesn't overtake Josh, we will see Josh and MJ for one more year.

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
IMO, Lee is a better offensive player than any one of our current catchers. However, he K's a lot, and is not a very good defensive catcher of game-caller. Case-in-point, Humberto Quintero was promoted from Winston-Salem to take Paul's job at AAA catcher while Sandy was on the DL. They promoted a guy from A ball to catch instead of an experienced guy in Evans.

IMO, Evans will be a career minor Leaguer. AAAA player. Olivo will be given a shot to make the squad next year to back up MJ. If he doesn't overtake Josh, we will see Josh and MJ for one more year.

I'm tired of the whole Josh Paul-MJ era. Pick one of them and lets go. If Olivo makes the team next year, would you start him over MJ?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!

Unless an everyday catcher is signed in the offseason when Sandy leaves, MJ is catching 60-75% of your White Sox games next year.

Please, are people so bored they have to pull this kind of utter crap outta their arses just to keep busy?

I'm guessing there are a few more people riding Voodoo's party bus?

:partybus

:versatile
"Hey now, I'M drivin'!"

Randar68
07-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
. If Olivo makes the team next year, would you start him over MJ?

No. He's our best catcher at throwing out runners, but he's also the least experienced and his game-calling is still not what it should be.

IMO, part of the reason Ulacia and Malone are struggling lies in Olivo's game-calling, although he doesn't catch every game.

He needs a year in AAA working with our stable of AAAA pitchers there. I think he's ready at the plate, as he K's, but he also walks quite a bit. He has better legs than Josh, and better power potential than either Paul or MJ.

His last obstacle is his defense/game-calling.

If he makes the big league squad next year, I would hope he catches about 1 out of every 5 games to get his feet wet and learn on the job without too much pressure.


I really can't imagine what this team is going to look like next year with LTP, Harris, Crede, and possibly Hummel and Olivo on the team.

We are once again going to be getting young all at once, instead of slowly filling our prospects into the lineup like NY does.

pudge
07-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!

Unless an everyday catcher is signed in the offseason when Sandy leaves, MJ is catching 60-75% of your White Sox games next year.

Please, are people so bored they have to pull this kind of utter crap outta their arses just to keep busy?

Hey now, there are two sides to every debate, and I understand the point about Paul's AAA stats this year, but didn't he get about the same amount of at bats as Johnson at the major league level last season and hit several points higher? All of his hits were not in Minnesota, he delivered a couple clutch two-out hits in Atlanta. Plus he adds speed. I personally like the idea of keeping Alomar on the DL. Before you go ranting on people for "utter crap" consider the other side a bit. Wasn't Paul chosen over Johnson for the 2000 play-offs? He must not be a total chump.

voodoochile
07-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Personally I think sending down Paul was a good decision. Now he can be traded at midseason and the Sox can point to the success he had while up to make him more marketable. Paul will never be the everyday starter (and I am thankful for that fact). He had a great run, just in time to make him marketable and now he can go away and hopefully bring something in return...

Randar68
07-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by pudge


Hey now, there are two sides to every debate, and I understand the point about Paul's AAA stats this year, but didn't he get about the same amount of at bats as Johnson at the major league level last season and hit several points higher? All of his hits were not in Minnesota, he delivered a couple clutch two-out hits in Atlanta. Plus he adds speed. I personally like the idea of keeping Alomar on the DL.

And how many times did he get thrown out at 3rd? If all you base ability and performance on is the results of their plate appearances, then they are about equal. Unfortunately for that idea, the catcher touches the ball on every play and tells the pitcher what to throw. They aren't the DH. Keeping Sandy on the DL to ride out his "hot" streak is one thing, replacing the guy who is going to catch a majority of games next year for a guy with less defensive ability and NO game-calling ability because of 18 AB's is LUDICROUS!

Originally posted by pudge
Before you go ranting on people for "utter crap" consider the other side a bit. Wasn't Paul chosen over Johnson for the 2000 play-offs? He must not be a total chump.

He IS a total chump. He was only on the roster because CJ was going to catch EVERY game. He was a pinch runner and an emergency catcher only.

At the risk of sounding like our dearly departed BMR, do you people even watch baseball games?



Cubbie Crack, here we come!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

pudge
07-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


And how many times did he get thrown out at 3rd? If all you base ability and performance on is the results of their plate appearances, then they are about equal. Unfortunately for that idea, the catcher touches the ball on every play and tells the pitcher what to throw. They aren't the DH. Keeping Sandy on the DL to ride out his "hot" streak is one thing, replacing the guy who is going to catch a majority of games next year for a guy with less defensive ability and NO game-calling ability because of 18 AB's is LUDICROUS!



No I'm not saying he's an everyday catcher either, although I just don't think it's *that* out of line to put him ahead of MJ. Believe me, I know his baserunning woes - I was at the game in Seattle when Ichiro pegged him at third. Ugh.

Randar68
07-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by pudge


No I'm not saying he's an everyday catcher either, although I just don't think it's *that* out of line to put him ahead of MJ. Believe me, I know his baserunning woes - I was at the game in Seattle when Ichiro pegged him at third. Ugh.

Both Sandy and MJ call every pitch of the games themselves. Josh does not. Does that say anything to you about the staff's opinion of his defensive/game-calling ability?


I am really through defending this point of view to a bunch of irrational posters. It's feast or famine around here, and some of the finicky posters can't decide whether or not Josh, Rowand, or Clayton should be voted into the HOF fisrt. Of course ahead of Frank too!

FarWestChicago
07-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


WHere do people get this? Honestly? MJ is superior in every aspect but "versatility" to Paul...his hotstreak was a fluke. He hit .243 with an OBP under .300 in triple-frickin'-A!This FOV bandwagon is beyond hysterical. :smile:

pudge
07-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Both Sandy and MJ call every pitch of the games themselves. Josh does not. Does that say anything to you about the staff's opinion of his defensive/game-calling ability?



Is this true? Do you have proof? I see MJ and Alomar look into the dugout for pitch signals an *awful* lot during games.

soxcatchtwins
07-01-2002, 01:35 PM
justin is the biggest white sox fan 5and under

Randar68
07-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by pudge


Is this true? Do you have proof? I see MJ and Alomar look into the dugout for pitch signals an *awful* lot during games.

Daver(I'm pretty sure anyways) and I have both been catchers in the past. I have talked to or heard from several several baseball people in the Sox organization.

MJ and Sandy look into the dugout for pitchouts, pickoff moves, intentional walks, etc. They actually call every pitch, but Joe Nossek calls all the rest of the game plan. This is why you will rarely see them look into the dugout when no runners are on.

Josh Paul looks into the dugout on EVERY pitch, even if nobody's on base.

Daver
07-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Daver(I'm pretty sure anyways) and I have both been catchers in the past. I have talked to or heard from several several baseball people in the Sox organization.

MJ and Sandy look into the dugout for pitchouts, pickoff moves, intentional walks, etc. They actually call every pitch, but Joe Nossek calls all the rest of the game plan. This is why you will rarely see them look into the dugout when no runners are on.

Josh Paul looks into the dugout on EVERY pitch, even if nobody's on base.

Randar is correct on this,and yes I was I caught Varsity for all four years of high school,starting every game while sporting a career BA of .191.

And I will admit to miscounting JP's eligibility years. :redneck

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Personally I think sending down Paul was a good decision. Now he can be traded at midseason and the Sox can point to the success he had while up to make him more marketable. Paul will never be the everyday starter (and I am thankful for that fact). He had a great run, just in time to make him marketable and now he can go away and hopefully bring something in return...

One would think they would deal him, but with this outift you never know.

doublem23
07-01-2002, 04:36 PM
No more Josh Paul?

Yes!

:versatile
But I'm so versatile!

baggio202
07-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Both Sandy and MJ call every pitch of the games themselves. Josh does not. Does that say anything to you about the staff's opinion of his defensive/game-calling ability?


I am really through defending this point of view to a bunch of irrational posters. It's feast or famine around here, and some of the finicky posters can't decide whether or not Josh, Rowand, or Clayton should be voted into the HOF fisrt. Of course ahead of Frank too!

it be nice if you would atleast consider the other person's POV before you totally trash them...here are 2 more points that you can totally trash before thinking but maybe someone else here might actually give these some serious thought...

as far as paul hitting lousy in charlotte...well for whatever reason it looks like josh might be one of these guys that hits better at the major league level than at the AAA level...he wouldnt be the first...the last two seasons (00 - 01) josh has hit .251 in charlotte and 271 in chicago in roughly the same amount at bats...he is a better major league hitter than a AAA hitter...i dont know why that is but for some guys when they get to the show it kicks them in gear a little more..so i would discount josh's AAA numbers as a reason not to keep him here and look at how he has hit the past to seasons with the sox as a reason to keep him...

but the main reason i keep josh is right now he is hot...and our season is right now..we lose 2 out of 3 to the tigers and there is no telling what williams will do...by thursday the dismantling of the sox could be underway if things dont go well for us this week...now we have to suffer with alomar at a very crucial time while he works on getting his timing back....josh paul was doing it now..and now is what we need...they should have left alomar on the DL atleast until josh proved one way or another whether this little hot stretch is for real or not...

Daver
07-01-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


it be nice if you would atleast consider the other person's POV before you totally trash them...here are 2 more points that you can totally trash before thinking but maybe someone else here might actually give these some serious thought...

as far as paul hitting lousy in charlotte...well for whatever reason it looks like josh might be one of these guys that hits better at the major league level than at the AAA level...he wouldnt be the first...the last two seasons (00 - 01) josh has hit .251 in charlotte and 271 in chicago in roughly the same amount at bats...he is a better major league hitter than a AAA hitter...i dont know why that is but for some guys when they get to the show it kicks them in gear a little more..so i would discount josh's AAA numbers as a reason not to keep him here and look at how he has hit the past to seasons with the sox as a reason to keep him...

but the main reason i keep josh is right now he is hot...and our season is right now..we lose 2 out of 3 to the tigers and there is no telling what williams will do...by thursday the dismantling of the sox could be underway if things dont go well for us this week...now we have to suffer with alomar at a very crucial time while he works on getting his timing back....josh paul was doing it now..and now is what we need...they should have left alomar on the DL atleast until josh proved one way or another whether this little hot stretch is for real or not...

Yeah forget the fact that he does nothing to help a stuggling rotation, makes stupid decisions on the basepaths,and can't defend the position.

Randar68
07-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


it be nice if you would atleast consider the other person's POV before you totally trash them...here are 2 more points that you can totally trash before thinking but maybe someone else here might actually give these some serious thought...

as far as paul hitting lousy in charlotte...well for whatever reason it looks like josh might be one of these guys that hits better at the major league level than at the AAA level...he wouldnt be the first...the last two seasons (00 - 01) josh has hit .251 in charlotte and 271 in chicago in roughly the same amount at bats...he is a better major league hitter than a AAA hitter...i dont know why that is but for some guys when they get to the show it kicks them in gear a little more..so i would discount josh's AAA numbers as a reason not to keep him here and look at how he has hit the past to seasons with the sox as a reason to keep him...

This is the same damn arguement I had with all the Fans Of Rowand about a month ago. Where have they all gone?

Paul is a 3rd catcher at best on the major league level. Throw away AAA stats against inferior opponents?

I have yet to see a single arguement that makes Paul a better option than Sandy or MJ other that "he's hot right now", which encompasses 18 AB's.



Originally posted by baggio202
but the main reason i keep josh is right now he is hot...and our season is right now..we lose 2 out of 3 to the tigers and there is no telling what williams will do...by thursday the dismantling of the sox could be underway if things dont go well for us this week...now we have to suffer with alomar at a very crucial time while he works on getting his timing back....josh paul was doing it now..and now is what we need...they should have left alomar on the DL atleast until josh proved one way or another whether this little hot stretch is for real or not...


For the most part, I have been lambasting the ones around here who want MJ sent down and Paul on the MLB roster. Leaving Sandy on the DL for another 15 days is one thing, and I don't necessarily disagree with that.

The average age/maturity level around here has gone through the floor over the last month. People have been jumping on the Clayton bandwagon, after Rowand bandwagon, and now Paul bandwagon.

Sorry, but there are about 10 people around here who I trust and respect their opinions when it comes to talent evaluation or player evaluations.

Every one of them so far is laughing along side me at all these people wanting to vote him into the HOF because of 18 AB's.

BTW, nobody with Josh Paul's # of AA and AAA AB's that I can ever think of has hit pronouncely better in the majors than they did in the minors.

This is like all the Blue Jays folks crowing about Scott Eyre's "Unbelieveable" spring training, etc, etc.....

Randar68
07-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
we lose 2 out of 3 to the tigers and there is no telling what williams will do...by thursday the dismantling of the sox could be underway if things dont go well for us this week

Oh yeah....


:chickenlittle

baggio202
07-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by daver


Yeah forget the fact that he does nothing to help a stuggling rotation, makes stupid decisions on the basepaths,and can't defend the position.

well it looks one bad decision against ichiro will forever haunt josh....i wonder if A's fans hold being thrown out by ichiro against terrance long the way sox fans do to josh???...i suppose you discard josh's stolen base and subsequent run scored up in minnesota??

and sandy is just so much better behind the plate..have you watched him throw this year???..he stinks..and offensively he has like 2 friggen walks...

im not a big josh paul defender...i dont think he is a long term answer behind the plate but right now he is playing better than any of our other catchers...i go with mark and josh by default...because alomar has been killing us all year..cant he see its time to retire???

baggio202
07-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


This is the same damn arguement I had with all the Fans Of Rowand about a month ago. Where have they all gone?

Paul is a 3rd catcher at best on the major league level. Throw away AAA stats against inferior opponents?

I have yet to see a single arguement that makes Paul a better option than Sandy or MJ other that "he's hot right now", which encompasses 18 AB's.






For the most part, I have been lambasting the ones around here who want MJ sent down and Paul on the MLB roster. Leaving Sandy on the DL for another 15 days is one thing, and I don't necessarily disagree with that.

The average age/maturity level around here has gone through the floor over the last month. People have been jumping on the Clayton bandwagon, after Rowand bandwagon, and now Paul bandwagon.

Sorry, but there are about 10 people around here who I trust and respect their opinions when it comes to talent evaluation or player evaluations.

Every one of them so far is laughing along side me at all these people wanting to vote him into the HOF because of 18 AB's.

BTW, nobody with Josh Paul's # of AA and AAA AB's that I can ever think of has hit pronouncely better in the majors than they did in the minors.

This is like all the Blue Jays folks crowing about Scott Eyre's "Unbelieveable" spring training, etc, etc.....

im not putting josh in the hall...i just think he is a better choice for catcher over sandy..dont you agree he is done???..

Randar68
07-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


im not putting josh in the hall...i just think he is a better choice for catcher over sandy..dont you agree he is done???..

After this year? IMO, yes. Right now, if health (relatively), is he a better option than Josh Paul??? IMO, without a doubt.

While Sandy hasn't been throwing guys out, that is only a microcosm of what defense from a catcher is all about.

If we go into next year with Josh and MJ as our platoon, it won't be pretty.

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Sorry, but there are about 10 people around here who I trust and respect their opinions when it comes to talent evaluation or player evaluations.


I know I'm not on that list. My evaluation of a player is either, he's good or he's bad.

delben91
07-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


This is the same damn arguement I had with all the Fans Of Rowand about a month ago. Where have they all gone?



:rowand
"One of these days I shall regain my status as the 'argument randar most despises to be involved in'.....victory shall be mine! <crashes into wall>"