PDA

View Full Version : Papelbon?

JohnTucker0814
12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
The Red Sox are interested in unloading Papelbon's contract for this year as they feel comfortable with Bard and now Jenks.

He's got a hefty salary, but do you think Sox brass would be interested in adding some money for 1 year of this guy?

He would give us some lightening at the closer role, move Thornton to where he's really good...

This would instantly make us favorites in my mind for at minimum the AL Central:

9th: Papelbon
8th: Thornton
7th: Santos/Crain
Others: Pena, Harrell??, ???

This would also allow us to get Sale ready as a starter and he could begin the season as the #5 guy in the rotation behind Danks, Jackson, Buehrle and Floyd.

Would you trade Viciedo straight up for 1 year of Papelbon??? That would be tough for me knowing Papelbon is gone after 1 year.

asindc
12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
1) Not unless they send money with him. Boston wants to get rid of him for the same reason the Sox wanted to get rid of Jenks.

2) Not for Viciedo. See # 1.

getonbckthr
12-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I would love it the only question is what would we need to give up? I thought I read a week or so ago they would trade for little assuming the other team took on all the money.

12-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I can't stand that guy and would even have a hard time rooting for him if he played for the White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I can't stand that guy and would even have a hard time rooting for him if he played for the White Sox.

What do you not like about him?

Noneck
12-19-2010, 05:16 PM

I doze off so many times between pitches, that it ruins my sleep habits.

asindc
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM

People who are jerks usually aren't well liked. That might have something to do with it. Ask Bobby Abreu what he thinks of him.

fox23
12-19-2010, 05:45 PM

On a superficial level, everything.

Fenway
12-19-2010, 06:04 PM
TAKE HIM

ST2Z-mqYTDo

He makes Larry Bird and Roger Clemens look warm and fuzzy

Tragg
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
No- they've been trying to dump Papelbon for 1.5 seasons. BUYER BEWARE

Lillian
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Where did you read that they want to unload Papelbon?
If they did, he would be a welcome addition, and one year at $9.35 million, with a high draft pick the following season. would be very inticing.

The guy was pretty much "lights out" again last year. except for a half dozen bad games, including one vs. us.

He had two bad back to back games in Colorado, but otherwise he was pretty good.

Having Sale in the rotation would be great. The Sox could throw 3 lefties in a series vs. the heavily weighted left handed bats of the Twins.

As long as the Palehose don't have to give up any good prospects. But I can't believe that Boston would just do a salary dump.

asindc
12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
If they did, he would be a welcome addition, and one year at $9.35 million, with a high draft pick the following season. would be very inticing.

The guy was pretty much "lights out" again last year. except for a half dozen bad games, including one vs. us.

He had two bad back to back games in Colorado, but otherwise he was pretty good.

Having Sale in the rotation would be great. The Sox could throw 3 lefties in a series vs. the heavily weighted left handed bats of the Twins.

As long as the Palehose don't have to give up any good prospects. But I can't believe that Boston would just do a salary dump.

Go to any Red Sox fan site. It's been a hot topic for well over a year. They are almost as disillusioned with him as we have been with Jenks.

Lillian
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Go to any Red Sox fan site. It's been a hot topic for well over a year. They are almost as disillusioned with him as we have been with Jenks.

Interesting, thanks. I understand that he's a bit of a 'jerk', but he has performed. Even last year, his numbers vs. RH hitters were pretty impressive: .189 BA against, with a .286 OBP.
I'd take that, any day.

I haven't followed his clubhouse reputation. Is he a good teammate?

This is an interesting article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Can-Jonathan-Papelbon-become-the-next-Mariano-Ri?urn=mlb-220556

SephClone89
12-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I hate the ****ing face he pulls before he throws a pitch.

Bucky F. Dent
12-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Only thing he has going for him is a scowl. His best days are two years behind him!

Brian26
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM

All over the place. It's pretty common knowledge in the baseball writing circle.

From a White Sox perspective, I have no idea why they would want to go after a guy that was replaced by the pitcher the White Sox just unloaded because they couldn't trust him for the money he was going to be due. I trust the Red Sox more than the White Sox on this one too. I'd stay far away from Papelbon.

JohnTucker0814
12-19-2010, 11:07 PM
All over the place. It's pretty common knowledge in the baseball writing circle.

From a White Sox perspective, I have no idea why they would want to go after a guy that was replaced by the pitcher the White Sox just unloaded because they couldn't trust him for the money he was going to be due. I trust the Red Sox more than the White Sox on this one too. I'd stay far away from Papelbon.

Wait a second... you think the Red Sox signed Jenks to replace Papelbon???

Jenks is their 7th inning guy, NOT THEIR CLOSER! They want to unload Papelbon because of his salary and because Bard makes minimum and is just as good.

Lillian
12-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Well, there seems to be little agreement on the subject. I can't find much beyond speculation. There aren't any actual reports out there that Epstein is actively trying to trade him.

To me, the big difference is one year vs. 2 or 3 years. I'd love to have him close next year, and then take the draft picks. He wants a big long term deal, and wouldn't accept a one year arbitration. Therefore, Chicago could offer him arbitration, with little risk that he wouldn't turn it down.

Fenway
12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/12/19/papelbon_is_all_business_and_so_are_the_sox/

Paps really ticked off Red Sox ownership with his 'excuse' about the 2007 World Series ball when he said "The dog ate it."

One thing about Paps, you know one or two pitches into a stint exactly what you are going to get.

russ99
12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, there seems to be little agreement on the subject. I can't find much beyond speculation. There aren't any actual reports out there that Epstein is actively trying to trade him.

To me, the big difference is one year vs. 2 or 3 years. I'd love to have him close next year, and then take the draft picks. He wants a big long term deal, and wouldn't accept a one year arbitration. Therefore, Chicago could offer him arbitration, with little risk that he wouldn't turn it down.

There's tons of speculation because Papelbon is in the same boat as Jenks, potentially vastly overpayed next season if they go to arbitration. Papelbon signed for $9.35M to avoid arbitration last offseason.

The closest to actual information on this is the report that Jenks signed, where it was mentioned that he may be given a chance to close in 2012.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Red Sox deal Papelbon at all, but who can afford a $11-12M closer?

If Kenny's going to spend, I'd prefer Soriano at $7-8M

ewokpelts
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
no

Mohoney
01-13-2011, 04:44 AM
TAKE HIM

ST2Z-mqYTDo

He makes Larry Bird and Roger Clemens look warm and fuzzy

Spare me. Everybody in your neck of the woods was ALL OVER Papelbitch in 2007.

Good luck with fat Bobby, and go Rays and go Yankees.

rdwj
01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I really only care if my closer can get people out - and Papelbon can do that better than all but a few. If he wants to take his time, make a funny face or do a silly dance, I REALLY don't care. Seems like a lot of hate over superficial things in this thread.

Taliesinrk
01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Shouldn't we be asking who we'd rather have Palpelbon vs. Jesse Crain? Granted, more things have to be taken into consideration (how $ much the Red Sox would pick up and what they'd ask in return), but as much as I like Santos, I'm not sure a career SS until last year is ready for a set-up (or if something bad happens w/ Sale in the rotation - closer) role on what's supposed to be a team that is, at minimum, competitive within the AL.

kittle42
01-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Shouldn't we be asking who we'd rather have Palpelbon vs. Jesse Crain? Granted, more things have to be taken into consideration (how $ much the Red Sox would pick up and what they'd ask in return), but as much as I like Santos, I'm not sure a career SS until last year is ready for a set-up (or if something bad happens w/ Sale in the rotation - closer) role on what's supposed to be a team that is, at minimum, competitive within the AL.

The answer is still obviously Crain, as he is the master of the Crain Kick - if do right, no can defense.