PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take To Get Zack Greinke?

cards press box
12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Does anyone else suspect that KW has explored trying to acquire Zack Greinke from the Royals? Two questions:

1. What would it take to acquire Greinke?

2. Given the price, would it be a good idea?

DumpJerry
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Too much.

Domeshot17
12-18-2010, 10:36 AM
We don't have nearly enough. The Royals want 4 elite prospects with 2 having the chance to be as good as Greinke. We don't have that. I suspect if we came to the table with Sale-Gordon-Vicideo it might come close but it still might be pretty light.

spawn
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
A miracle.

cards press box
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
We don't have nearly enough. The Royals want 4 elite prospects with 2 having the chance to be as good as Greinke. We don't have that. I suspect if we came to the table with Sale-Gordon-Vicideo it might come close but it still might be pretty light.

Too much.

Chris Sale, Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo would be way too much, if that is the price. Greinke is a top pitcher but, come on, he is not Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson.

I will say this -- the Royals may be asking for four elite prospects but they probably won't get that from anybody. The price will probably come down, especially if Greinke gets vocal about his desire to be traded.

soltrain21
12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Chris Sale, Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo would be way too much, if that is the price. Greinke is a top pitcher but, come on, he is not Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson.

I will say this -- the Royals may be asking for four elite prospects but they probably won't get that from anybody. The price will probably come down, especially if Greinke gets vocal about his desire to be traded.

It really wouldn't be a lot if, you know, our minors weren't complete dog****. We have no idea what Sale will be - and most teams would be willing to trade him because they have no idea what he will be and have other pitching prospects in the minors.

Us? We have one good hitting prospect and one good pitching prospect. It's awful.

soxfanreggie
12-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I highly doubt we take what we do have for the future to get him. If we did, we would really be going "all-in" for next year and might as well spend a bunch more money on top of it.

As we are right now, I am happy with the moves we have made will improve us over last year. If Peavy is healthy and Dunn does what he has done consistently over the past several seasons, we should run away with the Central.

DirtySox
12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Not a chance in hell.

It starts with Beckham which wouldn't be enough. Sale can't even be traded except as PTBNL until June. The farm system doesn't have a single blue chip trade prospect (except Sale). Dayan is an average prospect, and Mitchell still has tons of question marks, especially after his AFL showing. I don't think people understand how garbage the minor league system is. Couple that with the already absurd asking price being raised if he was to be dealt within the division, and likelihood he's acquired by the Sox is close to zero.

parlaycard
12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Sale isn't going anywhere.

Based on his salary, potential, and how he figures into the Sox plans for 2011, he is not tradable unless you get a player, or players who can take over what his role is going to be for 2011.

Greinke isn't worth the asking price. Is he a Johan Santana, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay type pitcher? Absolutely not.

Can he be an elite pitcher? maybe.

Can he be counted on to be an elite pitcher? I don't think so.

Only a team with deep, deep pockets will risk trading for Greinke.

gr8mexico
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
What about?
Gavin Floyd , Eduardo Escobar , Dayan Viciedo
For
Zack Greinke

Foulke You
12-18-2010, 01:15 PM
KC's asking for the moon right now but the closer it gets to Spring Training, the more likely their asking price could get reasonable. I still think it would take more from an AL Central team to nab him but anything is possible. As you said, the discussion would probably start with Beckham and Sale.

Standing Ovation
12-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Royals said they wouldn't trade him to an AL Central team.

Brian26
12-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Chris Sale, Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo would be way too much, if that is the price.

I agree. We're undervaluing our own prospects here. Greinke could be had for any two of those mentioned.

doublem23
12-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree. We're undervaluing our own prospects here. Greinke could be had for any two of those mentioned.

Sale and Beckham maybe, but I think you're overvaluing Dayan, who is still very raw, but since he is on the 40-man roster, his arb clock is running.

Our minor league system is terrible. I doubt we'd be able to make any package that the Royals would want.

JermaineDye05
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/107/1079891/boba-fett-20080508063426850_640w_1269549386.jpg

Lip Man 1
12-18-2010, 03:22 PM
1 True Love
2 Turtle Doves
3 French Hens
4 Calling Birds
5 Golden Rings
6 Geese A-laying
7 Swans A-swimming
8 Maids A-milking
9 Ladies Dancing
10 Lords A-leaping
11 Pipers Piping
12 Drummers Drumming

:tongue:

Lip

Fenway
12-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Braian Cashman asking the same question....but from what I read, Zach wants no part of the New York or Boston circus.

Texas has money to burn now so

JermaineDye05
12-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Braian Cashman asking the same question....but from what I read, Zach wants no part of the New York or Boston circus.

Texas has money to burn now so

I also hear the Yankees don't feel he's a fit for new Yankee Stadium.

HBaines03
12-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Could we get Greinke for Floyd, Viciedo & Flowers? If not, what else would we throw at them? Viciedo is blocked from playing right now, Floyd is a very solid young RH starter and they have more of a chance for Flowers than we do as he runs into the same issues as Viciedo. I would love Greinke and Boston is really loading up right now.

Noneck
12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
How does anyone thinking that the Sox may try to trade for him, know that the Sox are not on his 15 team block trade list for 2011?

soxnut1018
12-18-2010, 10:12 PM
What would it take? We're gonna need a lot of churros.

KMcMahon817
12-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Could we get Greinke for Floyd, Viciedo & Flowers? If not, what else would we throw at them? Viciedo is blocked from playing right now, Floyd is a very solid young RH starter and they have more of a chance for Flowers than we do as he runs into the same issues as Viciedo. I would love Greinke and Boston is really loading up right now.

I don't think there is any way that package would even come close, but if it could, I would sure hope KW wouldn't even think twice.

PalehosePlanet
12-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Greinke is also making 13 million per for the next two seasons. I wouldn't put it past KW to inquire, but we would have to free up some money to even ponder this scenario.

Also, I'm shocked that there haven't been any no-ex-Royals remarks yet.

guillen4life13
12-18-2010, 11:44 PM
If Greinke still has any head demons, it would be in his best interests to stay the hell out of Chicago. The booing if/when he has a bad stretch will have him either demanding a trade or quitting baseball altogether.

canOcorn
12-19-2010, 12:02 AM
What about?
Gavin Floyd , Eduardo Escobar , Dayan Viciedo
For
Zack Greinke

How about now chance. Viciedo has no value to them since they already have a far better DH. Hudson would have been a nice chip, as would Escobar, but it would have taken Beckham, too, and something additional. We just can't give that up and hope to be "all in" this year.

WhiteSox5187
12-19-2010, 06:14 AM
How about Teahen for Greinke straight up?

fox23
12-19-2010, 09:18 AM
It looks like it would take moving the team up north and renaming them the Brewers...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5935586

cws05champ
12-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Sale and Beckham maybe, but I think you're overvaluing Dayan, who is still very raw, but since he is on the 40-man roster, his arb clock is running.

Our minor league system is terrible. I doubt we'd be able to make any package that the Royals would want.
Does anyone here know...you CAN NOT trade Sale. Not won't, Can't. He will not be eligible to be traded until June (1 year after he was drafted).

Fenway
12-19-2010, 10:18 AM
According to Gammons it's

Cain, Escobar, Odirizzi, ptbnl for Greinke indeed pending medicals

sox1970
12-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Does anyone here know...you CAN NOT trade Sale. Not won't, Can't. He will not be eligible to be traded until June (1 year after he was drafted).

Doesn't that rule go out the window once he's added to the major league roster? If not, it should. Nevertheless, Sale won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

SOXSINCE'70
12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
A miracle.

I second that!

SOXSINCE'70
12-19-2010, 11:12 AM
How about Teahen for Greinke straight up?

What's Mike MacDougal up to?? Can we add him in the trade??:D:

cards press box
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, I suppose this thread is now a moot (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/brewers-acquire-zack-greinke.html) point, as the Brewers have apparently acquired Greinke.

doublem23
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM

ptbnl

hawkjt
12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I am pleased that Greinke is out of the AL Central,especially not with the Twins.

Goodbye,Zach...good riddance...and maybe our guys will get hit less now.

soxlady8
12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Mr. Soxlady8 (who is a Cardinal Fan ) is NOT HAPPY !!
The Brewers are gearing up to be pretty competitive in the NL Central.

doublem23
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, I suppose this thread is now a moot (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/brewers-acquire-zack-greinke.html) point, as the Brewers have apparently acquired Greinke.

Yeah, wow, no way we could have matched that haul. Not even close.

TDog
12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Too much.

Especially considering that he is a mentally and emotionally fragile pitcher. When you pay a price for a pitcher, you face the risk of physical injury limiting his effectiveness. I don't know that Greinke could be an effective pitcher, certainly as effective, for a contender.

Greinke might do OK for the Brewers if they don't seriously contend, but I seriously believe the Royals made out like a bandit on this deal.

Bucky F. Dent
12-19-2010, 02:45 PM
i am pleased that greinke is out of the al central,especially not with the twins.

Goodbye,zach...good riddance...and maybe our guys will get hit less now.

+1

trilobite_hives
12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, wow, no way we could have matched that haul. Not even close.

Yeah, maybe like Beckham, Mitchell, Sale would come close, but even then.. Glad to see Wacky Zach take a hike out of the AL Central.

I have a feeling I am going to really hate Lorenzo Cain at some point very soon. I can just imagine all the highlight reel catches he's going to make against us....

cws05champ
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
ptbnl

Yes, I know but a PTBNL must be executed within a 6 month period....and it usually does not take that much time because teams do not want the player to risk injury before the trade.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2010, 01:35 AM
This thread is now moot. The discussion can be continued in the thread in Talking Baseball.