PDA

View Full Version : How about a little Carlos Quentin love.

MikeKreevich
12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
There has been way too much ragging on Carlos on the forums this off season.
I have been a Sox fan for 57 years and honestly watch 150 games a year and I want him back and in our line up.
I'd like to start this thread with some stats I found.

2010 season HR/AB and RBI/AB

Josh Hamilton at bats per home run 16.2, at bats per RBI 5.18
Alex Rodriquez at bats per home run 17.4, at bats per RBI 4.17
Carlos Quintin at bats per home run 17.43, at bats per RBI 5.21
Mark Teixeira at bats per home run 18.2, at bats per RBI 5.56
Robinson Cano at bats per home run 21.59, at bats per RBI 5.74
Evan Langoria at bats per home runs 26.1, at bats per RBI 5.52
Nick Markakis at bats per home run 52.4, at bats per RBI 10.48

If your going to go negative, I can't stop you, but how about some love.

Konerko05
12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
<3 Carlos Quentin <3

soltrain21
12-17-2010, 10:00 PM
If he stays healthy I love the guy. I want so bad for him to be my favorite player. He just needs to step up. Maybe he will now knowing my fandom is on the line.

doublem23
12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
If he stays healthy I love the guy. I want so bad for him to be my favorite player. He just needs to step up. Maybe he will now knowing my fandom is on the line.

I agree, I thought we had a superstar when he broke out in 2008. I want Quentin to desperately be that prototypical #3 hitter and take this offense from "pretty good" to "downright devastating."

Imagine this lineup, with every single player clicking and hitting to the best of their abilities:

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
DH Dunn
1B Konerko
CF Rios
C Pierzynski
SS Ramirez
3B Morel

THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

The problem is the Quentin is injury prone and worse, seems to fuel his slumps with his own fiery personality. Even when he's doing well, it just seems so empty because we know how talented this guy is.

rdwj
12-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I like Q - he's just so freaking fragile. Every time he stretches for a ball or slides, I think he's going to break in half.

PalehosePlanet
12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
For whatever reason many posters at WSI believe that if Carlos isn't having an MVP worthy season, that he sucks. He won't become the stud we envisioned so he's worthless and could easily be replaced. Which, of course, is wrong.

Last years' .821 OPS season might very well be less than what he's capable of, but is still a pretty good year.

Bottom line: Not every player will be a star but can still be a solid run producer and contributor. Carlos, however, gets no slack in this regard. He must be a star, or he sucks. No middle ground --- where most players exist.

I sure as hell hope he isn't traded.

Foulke You
12-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Carlos is a beast when he is locked in. We saw that in 2008 and we caught a few glimpses of it in 2010 during June and July when he hit a combined 15HRs and 51RBIs. It's no coincidence that the Sox played their best baseball when he was locked in. 2008 showed he can be an MVP if he can get out of his own way. I honestly believe it is his brain that stops him more than the injuries.

BringHomeDaBacon
12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Anyone that thinks the Sox can upgrade in RF needs to look around the league and look at how many RF are out there that are better. There aren't many. Yes, his defense is a liability and he is injury prone but unless you think Shin-Soo choo or Ichiro Suzuki is magically going to appear in RF you would be hard pressed to find someone who is better and doesn't have issues of his own. Carlos was FOURTH among AL RF in OPS last year behind Shin-Soo, Bautista and Swisher. Most of the folks around here don't like Swisher so I don't know what the hell you Quentin naysayers freakin expect out there. The Sox have a top 3-5 AL RF on their team and it somehow isn't good enough. Sheesh.

Nelfox02
12-17-2010, 11:28 PM
His defense is......well we have all seen him out in RF.

That said, I think his bat could be great out of the 5 or 6 hole......even if he puts up numbers like we saw next year.

just keep him healthy

I still like him, a bit streaky but when he does get hot he has shown he can carry a line up

NLaloosh
12-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I agree with you. I don't know what the future will bring. But, I do know that Carlos Quentin's 2008 season was fabulous - far better than any season Adam Dunn has ever had.

So, Carlos is capable of being a huge difference maker for the Sox this season. I would not give up on him easily. He's still in his 20's.

doublem23
12-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Anyone that thinks the Sox can upgrade in RF needs to look around the league and look at how many RF are out there that are better. There aren't many. Yes, his defense is a liability and he is injury prone but unless you think Shin-Soo choo or Ichiro Suzuki is magically going to appear in RF you would be hard pressed to find someone who is better and doesn't have issues of his own. Carlos was FOURTH among AL RF in OPS last year behind Shin-Soo, Bautista and Swisher. Most of the folks around here don't like Swisher so I don't know what the hell you Quentin naysayers freakin expect out there. The Sox have a top 3-5 AL RF on their team and it somehow isn't good enough. Sheesh.

Sheesh, read the complaints people have about Carlos. Yeah, when he's on, he's on, but he's streaky as hell and he's more than just "injury-prone," in the last 2 years he's missed almost 100 games.

hawkjt
12-18-2010, 02:15 AM
I am a Carlos fan. I hope that Kenny keeps him with the Sox,no matter how much Cowley seems to want to have him traded. For some reason Joe keeps floating the rumors on Carlos on the block,and portraying him as such an eccentric that he hurts the team....I say BS.

I think he could break out and have a big year.

LITTLE NELL
12-18-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm not ready to give up on him but he is a head case and I would rather see him in LF.

hi im skot
12-18-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm not ready to give up on him but he is a head case and I would rather see him in LF.

So we can see Pierre's noodle arm in CF or RF?

Pass.

Also, I love me some TCQ.

LITTLE NELL
12-18-2010, 08:26 AM
So we can see Pierre's noodle arm in CF or RF?

Pass.

Also, I love me some TCQ.

Pierre was not bad last year but in a perfect world I would not mind an outfield of TCQ in LF, Curtis Granderson in CF and Rios in RF.

tstrike2000
12-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I really like Quentin, too but him being a liablility in RF, injury problems, and the fact he's also hit .236 and .243 the last two years overshadow a lot of things.

cws05champ
12-18-2010, 09:17 AM
He just needs some self affirmation: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me" :D:

SouthSideLove
12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Quentin's raw natural talent cannot be denied. That being said, injuries, outfield woes, and mental stability are all reasons why we should have dealt him awhile ago while his stock was still high.

Bobby Thigpen
12-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Sheesh, read the complaints people have about Carlos. Yeah, when he's on, he's on, but he's streaky as hell and he's more than just "injury-prone," in the last 2 years he's missed almost 100 games.
Our first baseman is streaky as hell too, but he doesn't seem to garner half the complaints that Quentin does about it.

Quentin's fine. Like one poster said, you'd be hard pressed to find too many guys that would be an all around upgrade. I just figured that the complaints about Carlos were just this site's personality. Complain about everyone until they're gone and then complain we got rid of them because they're obviously on their way to a HOF career.

asindc
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Our first baseman is streaky as hell too, but he doesn't seem to garner half the complaints that Quentin does about it.

Quentin's fine. Like one poster said, you'd be hard pressed to find too many guys that would be an all around upgrade. I just figured that the complaints about Carlos were just this site's personality. Complain about everyone until they're gone and then complain we got rid of them because they're obviously on their way to a HOF career.

You've been here before, haven't you?

russ99
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I have no problem with Carlos if he's putting up Quentin numbers instead of the Jack Cust-like performance he did this year.

He was badly hurt in 2009, so I'm willing to give him a break for that, but last year at the plate was a bad one for him. Sure the homers were nice, but what about all the other at-bats? OPS doesn't explain that away.

If getting beaned so much is making a difference, Carlos can do something about that. I haven't seen so much as a gesture to the pitcher, much less going towards the mound. If guys think they can back him off the plate with no recourse, then they're going to keep doing it.

As for defense, if we can live with Dye in RF, we can live with Quentin who has a much better arm. Besides, IMO, he'd be even harder on himself mentally if he were the DH.

Hopefully Carlos can get through his mental issues this year and put up a season more along the lines with what he's capable of.

That's the only real issue here. He's capable of so much, and has only shown a fraction of that the last two seasons.

hi im skot
12-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Pierre was not bad last year but in a perfect world I would not mind an outfield of TCQ in LF, Curtis Granderson in CF and Rios in RF.

Good luck landing Granderson.

DirtySox
12-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Good luck landing Granderson.

Good luck paying Granderson too.

Ron Karkovice
12-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Good luck something something as well

BringHomeDaBacon
12-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I have no problem with Carlos if he's putting up Quentin numbers instead of the Jack Cust-like performance he did this year.

He was badly hurt in 2009, so I'm willing to give him a break for that, but last year at the plate was a bad one for him. Sure the homers were nice, but what about all the other at-bats? OPS doesn't explain that away.

If getting beaned so much is making a difference, Carlos can do something about that. I haven't seen so much as a gesture to the pitcher, much less going towards the mound. If guys think they can back him off the plate with no recourse, then they're going to keep doing it.

As for defense, if we can live with Dye in RF, we can live with Quentin who has a much better arm. Besides, IMO, he'd be even harder on himself mentally if he were the DH.

Hopefully Carlos can get through his mental issues this year and put up a season more along the lines with what he's capable of.

That's the only real issue here. He's capable of so much, and has only shown a fraction of that the last two seasons.

Dude scored 73 runs and had 87 RBIs in only 131 games. You don't even need OPS or HRs to see that he had a productive year. And in case you're wondering, Jack Cust has never driven in that many runs.

Red Barchetta
12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I think this is where the great "Greg Walker" debate comes in and how a good hitting coach could help hitters with raw talent like Carlos.

I also think with the addition of Dunn, much of the self-imposed pressure Carlos put on himself will hopefully be removed.

If I was Ozzie, I would further remove the pressure and bat Carlos no higher than 6th in the order. Let him relax and focus on improving his defense.

I like Carlos and would hate to give up on him too early. However he is probably the only offensive trade bait we have available.

hawkjt
12-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Just heard DJ say on the Score that when he was still playing with the Sox in 1999, PK was far worse than Carlos in terms of craziness dealing with unsuccessful at bats. Said that without exception that PK would hammer the bat rack after a bad at bat. DJ said he matured out of it and that Carlos is also altering his behavior.

DonnieDarko
12-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Just heard DJ say on the Score that when he was still playing with the Sox in 1999, PK was far worse than Carlos in terms of craziness dealing with unsuccessful at bats. Said that without exception that PK would hammer the bat rack after a bad at bat. DJ said he matured out of it and that Carlos is also altering his behavior.

Believe it when I see it.

fox23
12-19-2010, 05:41 PM

I agree. And Pujols at 1st, Cano at 2nd, Mauer at C...

TheVulture
12-20-2010, 02:39 AM
I agree. And Pujols at 1st, Cano at 2nd, Mauer at C...

What if we could attach Ted Williams head to TCQ's body?

KMcMahon817
12-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I love Carlos. I have been clamoring all offseason that trading him now would be pointless....because it would. His value is down, so there simply is no way that KW could ship Quentin out and make this team better.

I agree with several posters so far about fans not cutting Carlos any slack. What is wrong with 26 homers and just under 90 RBI? Nothing. That is a very productive piece that any lineup would love to have. It's as if he has to be an MVP every year or the SOX should dump him.

His injuries have been infuriating, but I don't see any reason to not give him another shot in 2011. If he regains his value, look to trade him next offseason if you feel you can improve the club, but trading him now is not a good idea.

Let Q play; having Dunn around is only going to help.

chisox77
12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I love Carlos. I have been clamoring all offseason that trading him now would be pointless....because it would. His value is down, so there simply is no way that KW could ship Quentin out and make this team better.

I agree with several posters so far about fans not cutting Carlos any slack. What is wrong with 26 homers and just under 90 RBI? Nothing. That is a very productive piece that any lineup would love to have. It's as if he has to be an MVP every year or the SOX should dump him.

His injuries have been infuriating, but I don't see any reason to not give him another shot in 2011. If he regains his value, look to trade him next offseason if you feel you can improve the club, but trading him now is not a good idea.

I agree. Besides, I have his jersey, so TCQ has to be around a bit longer.

forrestg
12-30-2010, 02:31 AM
TCQ, besides having the power still has a great quick swing. he has the ability when is on to also get some well placed hits when we need them. Even though he's a power hitter he can reach out and get a few well placed hits.

TomBradley72
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Carlos gets the love he deserves. He's a 28 y.o. OF coming off a .243 season while being highly productive from a power/RBI perspective.
Only 26 RBI's after the All Star break.

As far as defense goes- he's "Bump Bailey" and needs to be in LF or DH- but our roster doesn't allow it- so he's pretty exposed as a RF.

khan
12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
If Carlos Tinoisamoa could move better than an aging Jermaine Dye, stay healthy, and adjust his approach at the plate appropriately, I think we'd all be heads over heels for him.

Unfortunately, Carlos Tinoisamoa can't move very well despite him being a young man, can't stay healthy, and still swings at sliders in the dirt. Hence, many fans [rightfully, IMO] do not have a man-crush for him.

russ99
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Sorry, but just because a guy hits 26 homers is no reason to cut him slack.

The same people who ragged on Podsednik hitting .260 now want to support Quentin hitting .240, even both had decent numbers (homers vs. steals) for the type of player they were.

Player A: .251 / 23 / 87 / .311 / .435
Player B: .277 / 12 / 63 / .404 / .399
Quentin: .243 / 26 / 87 / .342 / .479

Player A is Carl Everett in 2005, Player B is Tony Phillips in 1996. Neither were considered quality players, just complementary pieces. And neither had the injury issues that Quentin seemingly constantly has.

What we have in Quentin is a complementary slugger, which is a good role for him to help the 2011 Sox. Hopefully he can figure some things out this year and show a modest improvement over the last two years. To assume he can put up MVP numbers is wishful thinking at best.