PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

ShooterMcGavin
12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello, I just registered as a member. I was once a die-hard fan of the Sox, but a couple life changes forced me to pay much less attention to the Sox and the game. Fortunately, I'm now able to put a little more time into following my favorite team, though nothing near the level of when I was a die-hard fan.

Please update me on some Sox info that I'm ignorant to because of my hiatus.

1. D.J. Carrasco. He seemed to pitch decent for the Sox. Baseballreference.com (boy has that site changed for the better over the past few years) states he's with the Mets now. Why is D.J. no longer with the Sox?

2. Who will play 3B for the Sox in 2011?

3. I haven't followed the team religiously at any point since Carlos Quentin has been on the team, but I do remember his impressive hitting when he first joined the Sox, and that he has had an injury. What can we expect from CQ in 2011?

4. What will the bench look like? I respect Gregg Zaun's play against the Sox, and wouldn't mind him backing up AJP in 2011. He had a respectable year for MIL in 2010 playing 28 games: .265/.350/.392/.743.

pythons007
12-17-2010, 06:55 PM
That's TCQ to the laymen! LOL!

GlassSox
12-17-2010, 07:22 PM
:welcome:

mzh
12-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello, I just registered as a member. I was once a die-hard fan of the Sox, but a couple life changes forced me to pay much less attention to the Sox and the game. Fortunately, I'm now able to put a little more time into following my favorite team, though nothing near the level of when I was a die-hard fan.

Please update me on some Sox info that I'm ignorant to because of my hiatus.

1. D.J. Carrasco. He seemed to pitch decent for the Sox. Baseballreference.com (boy has that site changed for the better over the past few years) states he's with the Mets now. Why is D.J. no longer with the Sox?

2. Who will play 3B for the Sox in 2011?

3. I haven't followed the team religiously at any point since Carlos Quentin has been on the team, but I do remember his impressive hitting when he first joined the Sox, and that he has had an injury. What can we expect from CQ in 2011?

4. What will the bench look like? I respect Gregg Zaun's play against the Sox, and wouldn't mind him backing up AJP in 2011. He had a respectable year for MIL in 2010 playing 28 games: .265/.350/.392/.743.

1. IIRC, the Sox were open to bringing back Carrasco after a solid 2009, but apparently he wanted to start, and the Sox were not going to give him that opportunity, He ended up signing a 1 year deal with Pittsburgh, where he ended up in the bullpen anyway. He just signed with the Mets a few weeks ago.

2. After the failed Mark Teahen experiment of 2010, it appears that 3rd base will effectively be a spring training battle between farmhands Brent Morel and Dayan Viciedo.

3. TCQ is a major headcase. He's had a lot of trouble staying healthy the last few years, and is mind-numbingly inconsistent, however, when he is hot he is still quite dangerous. With the signing of Adam Dunn it seems much of the pressure will be off him and he should, if healthy, give us a solid 30-35 HR.

4. The Sox already resigned Ramon Castro, who had an excellent year, to back up AJ. The bench is looking like it'll be Omar Vizquel taking infield duties, Mark Teahen as the super sub who can play most infield and outfield positions, and Brent Lillibridge as the infielder pinch-runner type and emergency outfielder. The #1 backup outfielder remains to be seen.

Hope this answers your questions and welcome back to Sox fandom!

RowanDye
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Yea, the mzh hit most of the points. Good organizations should employ guys like Carrasco for minimum expense. Many think Morel has the leg up at 3B because of solid D. All hope that The Carlos Quentin hits 35 HR. And all hope that Ramon Castro continues hist torrid pace as the #1 backup catcher and #1 latin heartthrob.

ShooterMcGavin
12-17-2010, 07:51 PM

1. IIRC, the Sox were open to bringing back Carrasco after a solid 2009, but apparently he wanted to start, and the Sox were not going to give him that opportunity, He ended up signing a 1 year deal with Pittsburgh, where he ended up in the bullpen anyway. He just signed with the Mets a few weeks ago.

2. After the failed Mark Teahen experiment of 2010, it appears that 3rd base will effectively be a spring training battle between farmhands Brent Morel and Dayan Viciedo.

3. TCQ is a major headcase. He's had a lot of trouble staying healthy the last few years, and is mind-numbingly inconsistent, however, when he is hot he is still quite dangerous. With the signing of Adam Dunn it seems much of the pressure will be off him and he should, if healthy, give us a solid 30-35 HR.

4. The Sox already resigned Ramon Castro, who had an excellent year, to back up AJ. The bench is looking like it'll be Omar Vizquel taking infield duties, Mark Teahen as the super sub who can play most infield and outfield positions, and Brent Lillibridge as the infielder pinch-runner type and emergency outfielder. The #1 backup outfielder remains to be seen.

Hope this answers your questions and welcome back to Sox fandom!

Thanks for the information mzh! What a shame the Sox lost an inexpensive and decent bullpen option in Carrasco.

Hopefully TCQ (The Carlos Quentin?) will be consistent in the 5 spot.

I have no knowledge of either of the 3B farmhands you mentioned.

Ramon Castro did have a better season than Gregg Zaun last year, did so in more games, and is younger. He appears to be a suitable backup to AJP.

DumpJerry
12-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Brent Morel was pretty good last year. I'm not worried about Third.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I have no knowledge of either of the 3B farmhands you mentioned.

Morel is older and has less power, but has a better glove and decent plate discipline.

Viciedo is about 22 years old and has the potential to be a prime slugger, but has little defensive ability and is wild at the plate.

Daver
12-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I have little doubt Omar Vizquel will get the bulk of the starts at third.

doublem23
12-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Brent Morel was pretty good last year. I'm not worried about Third.

Morel was only here for a few weeks, the list of guys who made nice during basically garbage time (the Sox were basically out of it by early September) and then could never replicate that performance is endless. Morel is like the 3B out of necessity, unless JR wants to dig even deeper into his pockets.

I'm not saying Morel will automatically be bad, like say, the way some people predicted Teahen's subpar play last offseason, but he's far from a lock. He's got the leather to play in the Majors but there are a lot of questions about his bat. We shall see.

doublem23
12-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Morel is older and has less power, but has a better glove and decent plate discipline.

Viciedo is about 22 years old and has the potential to be a prime slugger, but has little defensive ability and is wild at the plate.

Viciedo is a 3B basically based on his supreme athleticism. I have no doubt his future is either at 1B, a COF spot, or, more likely, DH.

Remember, Mark Teixeira was a SS in college. When you're talented enough to even make the Majors, you're likely talented enough to play any position at inferior levels of baseball like the NCAA or Cuban League.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Morel was only here for a few weeks, the list of guys who made nice during basically garbage time (the Sox were basically out of it by early September) and then could never replicate that performance is endless. Morel is like the 3B out of necessity, unless JR wants to dig even deeper into his pockets.

I'm not saying Morel will automatically be bad, like say, the way some people predicted Teahen's subpar play last offseason, but he's far from a lock. He's got the leather to play in the Majors but there are a lot of questions about his bat. We shall see.

Understood, but I think the Sox can get away with trying Morel out for first month or two of the season, since he wouldn't be relied on to carry the offense, and can go up there without a ton of pressure on him offensively, since he's got Rios, Dunn, Konerko, and Quentin to back him up and shoulder more of the offensive load.

I'm not saying that he can get away with hitting .220, but if he hits .250 to .260 with good defense, that's all the Sox really need from him.

soxfanreggie
12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I have little doubt Omar Vizquel will get the bulk of the starts at third.

I'm with you Daver, at least for the start of the season.