PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE 12/19: Greinke Traded to Brewers

JermaineDye05
12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Hopefully it's not within the division.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Zack-Greinke-asks-Kansas-City-Royals-for-trade-fires-agent-121710

Bobby Thigpen
12-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Hopefully it's not within the division.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Zack-Greinke-asks-Kansas-City-Royals-for-trade-fires-agent-121710
Unless it's to the Sox.

pythons007
12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
The Royals are currently asking for the world plus the sun for Grienke. If it was a team within the division that was asking about him, it would have to include the universe plus more.

KRS1
12-17-2010, 07:17 PM
The Royals are currently asking for the world plus the sun for Grienke. If it was a team within the division that was asking about him, it would have to include the universe plus more.

Indeed, but it doesn't make me want him any less.

GlassSox
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM

We could give them one of Ozzie's sons. :redneck

soltrain21
12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
The Royals owe us Greinke for the years of ****ty Royals we've had to put up with on our team.

Red Barchetta
12-17-2010, 08:57 PM
The Royals owe us Greinke for the years of ****ty Royals we've had to put up with on our team.

I agree. Trade them back Teahen 1-for-1 and call it even.

doublem23
12-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I agree. Trade them back Teahen 1-for-1 and call it even.

I'd be willing to pick up all of Teahen's salary in that scenario.

y2j2785
12-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't have any links to post but if you search "Greinke" on twitter there is a lot of speculation about Greinke to the Brewers for Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, and Lorenzo Cain. It's also on rotoworld as well. Seems like pure speculation right now as none of the big name baseball insiders have commented on it yet.

Edit: Here is a link from Milwaukee. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fanblogs/112137964.html

ComiskeyBrewer
12-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I don't have any links to post but if you search "Greinke" on twitter there is a lot of speculation about Greinke to the Brewers for Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, and Lorenzo Cain. It's also on rotoworld as well. Seems like pure speculation right now as none of the big name baseball insiders have commented on it yet.

Edit: Here is a link from Milwaukee. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fanblogs/112137964.html

That would be a hard trade to do. The brewers would be trading two of their expected starters this year(Escobar at SS, Cain in CF), and Jeffress, who has a MONSTER arm and projects as a closer. There are also reports that odorizzi could be included. That's alot, as odorizzi is probably the brewers best pitcher not named Jeffress(he was milwaukee's Minor League Pitcher of the Year last year). Still, if Milwaukee can get a serviceable SS they might have turned into a very good team very quick. Doug Melvin must think this is a make or break year for the brewers, if he's willing to empty out the farm system for Greinke and Marcum.

mzh
12-19-2010, 01:16 AM
That would be a hard trade to do. The brewers would be trading two of their expected starters this year(Escobar at SS, Cain in CF), and Jeffress, who has a MONSTER arm and projects as a closer. There are also reports that odorizzi could be included. That's alot, as odorizzi is probably the brewers best pitcher not named Jeffress(he was milwaukee's Minor League Pitcher of the Year last year). Still, if Milwaukee can get a serviceable SS they might have turned into a very good team very quick. Doug Melvin must think this is a make or break year for the brewers, if he's willing to empty out the farm system for Greinke and Marcum.
He knows Prince is going to be gone after next year, which still leaves him with Escobar and Cain, but I'm guessing that he thinks once Prince and Possibly Braun are gone, there's going to be a total rebuild and with several years of not winning ****, they'll end up with the same situation with Cain and Escobar as they are now with Prince and possibly Braun.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-19-2010, 01:31 AM
He knows Prince is going to be gone after next year, which still leaves him with Escobar and Cain, but I'm guessing that he thinks once Prince and Possibly Braun are gone, there's going to be a total rebuild and with several years of not winning ****, they'll end up with the same situation with Cain and Escobar as they are now with Prince and possibly Braun.

Braun is signed for another 5 years, so i doubt he's worrying about him. Still, it's not a bad move, as Escobar can be replaced by another no hit, good range SS, and Gomez can replace Cain in CF. It's kind of nice to see Milwaukee go for broke(assuming this doesn't work, Grienke and Fielder draft picks will help rebuild the farm system pretty quick) The lack of National Media picking up this story makes me wonder if it's real. Tom Haudricourt tweeted that his source in KC couldn't confirm this either.

http://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/16389617762697216

bridgeportcopper
12-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Braun is signed for another 5 years, so i doubt he's worrying about him. Still, it's not a bad move, as Escobar can be replaced by another no hit, good range SS, and Gomez can replace Cain in CF. It's kind of nice to see Milwaukee go for broke(assuming this doesn't work, Grienke and Fielder draft picks will help rebuild the farm system pretty quick) The lack of National Media picking up this story makes me wonder if it's real. Tom Haudricourt tweeted that his source in KC couldn't confirm this either.

http://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/16389617762697216

According to SportsCenter, it's a done deal.

soxfan43
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
I think this looks like a good trade for both teams. Milwaukee has really improved their staff with Marcum and Greinke and can definitely make a run at the playoffs if they keep Prince. KC gets a solid SS and some more young talent.

soltrain21
12-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Building a nice team up in Milwaukee.

fox23
12-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Building a nice team up in Milwaukee.

They are doing exactly the best they can for a small market team. Make a run for the next year or two, and then fall back down once everyone leaves in free agency.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2010, 10:52 AM
This is a great trade for the Sox...gets two killers out of the division.

Lip

illini81887
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
In the past 3 years or so:
Johan Santana out of the division
CC Sabaitha out of the division
Cliff Lee out of the divsion
Zach Grienke out of the division

Now just need to get Verlander out

Patrick134
12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
So what day in July do the Brewers trade him to the Red Sox or Yankees ? Place your bets.

roylestillman
12-19-2010, 12:10 PM
This is a great trade for the Sox...gets two killers out of the division.

Lip

Sure, but it just means we'll have two new rookies that we never saw before that will shut us out and put themselves in contention for the Cy Young.

Brewers are a great fit for him.

soltrain21
12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
So what day in July do the Brewers trade him to the Red Sox or Yankees ? Place your bets.

Brewers will be in it all year.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Royle:

That only happens with the Twins!

:tongue:

Lip

thomas35forever
12-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Glad we don't have to face him anymore. A great pitcher traded from a crappy team in the Central just like Lee and Sabathia before him.

doublem23
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Am I the only one who remembers that we absolutely own Greinke?

JermaineDye05
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
That's the type of haul you're supposed to get for a player of this caliber, San Diego.

SOXSINCE'70
12-19-2010, 01:29 PM
The best part of this deal is not only does Greinke get traded to the NL Central, so does Yuniesky Betancourt, a Pale Hose killer royale!! :cool:

A. Cavatica
12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
That's the type of haul you're supposed to get for a player of this caliber, San Diego.

And Milwaukee still won the trade.

fox23
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM

No, I thought the same thing. I wouldn't go so far to say that we own him, but I feel like we can handle him better than anyone else in the central. I don't think this is going to help the Sox in the division race and I'm going to guess the east gets the wild card next year.

WhiteSox5187
12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I think it's a pretty good trade for KC and I really like that Escobar. But I also like Milwaukee a lot so I hope this works out for them.

johnnyg83
12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
We own Verlander, don't we?

The Royals will be really bad this year and next, but their minor league system is loaded ... Ted Kennedy loaded.

jdm2662
12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
We own Verlander, don't we?

Early in his career, yes. They used to rock him. The Sox haven't beaten Verlander in quite some time.

TDog
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Early in his career, yes. They used to rock him. The Sox haven't beaten Verlander in quite some time.

With Verlander, the White Sox used to get to him in the middle to late innings when he lost his effectiveness, either because he was losing a little bit as he worked farther into the game or because White Sox hitters adjusted and Verlander didn't adjust to those adjustments. Some of the success White Sox hitters had against Verlander related to White Sox starters keeping the games close until they could get to him.

Verlander in the last couple of years has improved tremendously as a pitcher because he can more consistently go deeper in close games. Verlander is no longer about pitch counts. He has developed into a starter who can shut down a team for eight or nine innings if necessary.

DumpJerry
12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
We have owned him in some games and he owned us in some.

DirtySox
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
My hangover was so severe I missed the Greinke trade.

Really like the haul for KC. The best farm system in baseball just got better. With the number 5 pick in the draft, and likely another near the top in 2012, and the Royals could be scary in coming years.

g0g0
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Gah! I felt a lump in my throat when I read that he had been traded to the NL Central. Ugh. :whiner:

cards press box
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Really like the haul for KC. The best farm system in baseball just got better. With the number 5 pick in the draft, and likely another near the top in 2012, and the Royals could be scary in coming years.

I agree. In a few years, KC might be poised to be what Tampa has been for the past three years.

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
My hangover was so severe I missed the Greinke trade.

I agree. In a few years, KC might be poised to be what Tampa has been for the past three years.

And if just a few of them pan out, in 2013 the Royals will contend for the Central, and in 2014 the Royals will have some studs to trade for some blue-chip prospects!

DirtySox
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Indeed.

The depth and quality of prospects in their system is astounding. Obviously that doesn't necessarily translate to success at the big league level, but the Royals could be in a very nice place in the next few years. They certainly will be much more entertaining to watch as well.

I wonder if they are inclined to move Soria next.