PDA

View Full Version : Could we have heard the last of Buck and McCarver?

Fenway
12-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Just heard this from a top NESN official.

NBC/Comcast have been approached by FOX to take over the final 3 years of the MLB contract which expires in 2013 and NBC appears to be interested.

FOX officials have stated that MLB is not working for them and they want to focus on the NFL and possibly the NHL. MLB doesn't care as long as they get paid what it owed to them.

FOX as we know slashed the pre-game show 2 years ago to cut costs.

Moving to NBC would knock Buck out as he would obviously stay with the NFL but McCarver could be out. Tim has worked for every network that carried MLB EXCEPT NBC.

The big plus of going to NBC is the cross-promotion MLB can do with the Today Show and Nightly News which FOX can't come close to matching.

I will keep you guys posted.

PaleHoser
12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Like.

Buck seems bored and McCarver needs to be put down. A move back to NBC would be a good thing.

If this happens, I wonder if NBC would consider broadcasting a World Series day game on a Sunday afternoon? I don't see them pre-empting their Sunday night national game, so baseball in the sunshine could be a good thing.

VenturaFan23
12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
:praying:

hdog1017
12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
If Tim McCarver no longer is the national voice of baseball, Santa finally listened to me.

Fenway
12-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Like.

Buck seems bored and McCarver needs to be put down. A move back to NBC would be a good thing.

If this happens, I wonder if NBC would consider broadcasting a World Series day game on a Sunday afternoon? I don't see them pre-empting their Sunday night national game, so baseball in the sunshine could be a good thing.

I think Ebersol would do that in a heartbeat...

FOX has been killed by short World Series the past few years..and this year saw World Series games lose to Sunday Night Football and Dancing With The Stars.

TheOldRoman
12-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Please let this happen. Let Buck be exclusively snarky and disinterested about football. Also, I would LOVE if Al Michaels did the playoffs again, but I'm not sure if he wants to do that or if NBC would take him off SNF for a month. I know Costas is polarizing, but I would even like him in the booth. The playoffs, and especially the World Series, need to be treated with respect and presented as "an event", not the XFL way Fox has presented it with flashing lights and robotic noises and effects for scoring changes.

Hitmen77
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
NBC was synonymous with baseball network coverage for something like 6 decades until MLB awarded the rights to CBS in the early 1990s (which was a travesty) and then on to Fox.

If NBC does get MLB back, I'd like to see them showcase more teams league-wide on their regular season coverage. Right now, all Fox is basically doing is showing me Sox and Cubs games that I could otherwise see with local announcers. If they're not doing a Sox or Cubs game on a particular week, it seems like they almost always are giving us the same old Yankees or Red Sox game instead. They're not really giving me a look at the rest of the league.

To get a good look at teams other than anyone playing the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, or Red Sox, MLB Network has been a godsend.

Ex-Chicagoan
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Please let this happen. Let Buck be exclusively snarky and disinterested about football. Also, I would LOVE if Al Michaels did the playoffs again, but I'm not sure if he wants to do that or if NBC would take him off SNF for a month. I know Costas is polarizing, but I would even like him in the booth. The playoffs, and especially the World Series, need to be treated with respect and presented as "an event", not the XFL way Fox has presented it with flashing lights and robotic noises and effects for scoring changes.

Agreed completely. I'd love to see Tony Kubek back, too... but that's not ever going to happen.

TheOldRoman
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
NBC was synonymous with baseball network coverage for something like 6 decades until MLB awarded the rights to CBS in the early 1990s (which was a travesty) and then on to Fox.

If NBC does get MLB back, I'd like to see them showcase more teams league-wide on their regular season coverage. Right now, all Fox is basically doing is showing me Sox and Cubs games that I could otherwise see with local announcers. If they're not doing a Sox or Cubs game on a particular week, it seems like they almost always are giving us the same old Yankees or Red Sox game instead. They're not really giving me a look at the rest of the league.

To get a good look at teams other than anyone playing the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, or Red Sox, MLB Network has been a godsend.I agree. It doesn't do much to have the same game but Fox broadcasting it instead of the local team affiliate. I hope they go back to a true "game of the week" (possibly on Saturday night) where a single game would be broadcast across the entire country. This would also hopefully get rid of the stupid blackout rules.

Noneck
12-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Agreed completely. I'd love to see Tony Kubek back, too... but that's not ever going to happen.

With Joe Garagiola SR.?

Fenway
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Here is a little story about Joe Buck that was told to me by Bill Webb who is FOX's main director (and also does the Yankees games for YES)

In 2004 - when it appeared certain Boston was going to win, FOX wanted to go to WEEI-Boston audio live and have Joe Castiglione's of the final out go live on FOX. Buck went into a massive snit.

A year later in Houston they wanted to use John Rooney and again Buck said no.

I mentioned that to Sean McDonough who said had CBS approached him to let Tom Cheek (Jay's announcer) do something in 1992 he would have happily said yes. But Sean's calls in both 2002 and 2003 were well received in Toronto.

Nixon bunts! Timlin on it! Throws to first . . . For the first time in history, the world championship banner will fly north of the border! The Toronto Blue Jays are baseball's best in 1992!

Well-hit down the left-field line! Way back and GONE! Joe Carter with a three-run homer! The winners and still world champions, the Toronto Blue Jays!

Cheek's radio call in Toronto was wonderful

"Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!

Buck hasn't had a memoriable World Series ending call YET!!!!.

he botched 2004

"Back to Foulke. Red Sox fans have longed to hear it: the Boston Red Sox are World Champions!"

Joe Castiglione nailed it

"Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first. And the Boston Red Sox are World Champions. For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball's world championship. Can you believe it?"

as did John Rooney a year later

"Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro. A ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it...he throws. Out, out, a White Sox winner and a world championship. The White Sox have won the World Series and they're mobbing each other on the field."

MeteorsSox4367
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Joe Buck needs an ego check. If not for his dad being who he was, Joe would be serving Budweiser in a bar in St. Louis.

I would definitely like to see baseball back on NBC.

If Fox does get hockey, please none of that glowing puck bull(bleep). I love hockey. Let the game alone. It's exciting enough without all the gimmicks and other crap.

As for Buck not wanting Rooney's call broadcast in 2005, Rooney with a head cold and laryngitis is 100 times the broadcaster Buck is.

"Out. Out. A White Sox winner and a world championship."

Rooney > Buck. Every day of the week.

tebman
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Amen! Fox's whole act is to turn every program into an overcaffeinated brawl. The hyped-up and overcompressed audio, the harsh primary colors, the constantly-rolling graphics, the intrusive animations on the screen...come on! There's no doubt that the old-boy networks like NBC needed competition but Fox does everything with a lampshade on its head, whether it's sporting events, the news, the live shows, or whatever.

I want to watch baseball. Let the game speak for itself. The sooner Fox gets out of the baseball-broadcast business, the better.

NardiWasHere
12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Awesome.

Fox has the worst sports coverage (especially for baseball) out of all the networks.

NBC Sports is great.

Fenway
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Vin Scully has said the most important words he has ever said on the air were..

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Brooklyn Dodgers are Champions of the World."

Nature of the beast now that in many cases local announcer lose out during the playoffs - Pat Foley comes to mind.

I think he would have done better than CBC last June - Where's The Puck???

Yy4UZbtxxkY

Dibbs
12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
This would be awesome.

soltrain21
12-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree. It doesn't do much to have the same game but Fox broadcasting it instead of the local team affiliate. I hope they go back to a true "game of the week" (possibly on Saturday night) where a single game would be broadcast across the entire country. This would also hopefully get rid of the stupid blackout rules.

MLB network has a Saturday night game.

PaleHoser
12-17-2010, 03:31 PM
One of the benefits of watching some classic games on MLB Network and iTunes is that I had completely forgotten that NBC often teamed the local broadcaster of the home team for a given World Series game with Curt Gowdy or Joe Garagiola for the broadcast. That's how Dick Stockton called Fisk's home run in '75, and Lindsey Nelson called some of the highlights from the '69 Series.

The home local broadcaster typically would call the middle third of the game IIRC. The local broadcaster has already watched and called 170+ games for the club that season and can provide some subtle commentary regarding tendencies that a national broadcaster can't pull from a stat sheet.

Having the local guy call the final inning of a clinching game would certainly add some zest to the event as well.

Daver
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
MLB returning to NBC would be great, the way Fox handles it is a joke.

asindc
12-17-2010, 03:59 PM

To get a good look at teams other than anyone playing the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, or Red Sox, MLB Network has been a godsend.

That was a travesty. I always got the impression that CBS only bid for MLB to keep it away from the other networks. It was more than obvious that their announcers, reporters, and producers had not done their homework on the game and the teams. When CBS finally gave it up, their execs all but admitted acquiring MLB was a big mistake for them.

Amen! Fox's whole act is to turn every program into an overcaffeinated brawl. The hyped-up and overcompressed audio, the harsh primary colors, the constantly-rolling graphics, the intrusive animations on the screen...come on! There's no doubt that the old-boy networks like NBC needed competition but Fox does everything with a lampshade on its head, whether it's sporting events, the news, the live shows, or whatever.

I want to watch baseball. Let the game speak for itself. The sooner Fox gets out of the baseball-broadcast business, the better.

But they are cool! You just don't get it!

tstrike2000
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM

I remember watching MLB on NBC in the 80's, sometimes with Bob Costas and Tony Kubek. I really liked it, especially compared to MLB on Fox. My only problem is Costas didn't pronounce Ozzie's name correctly, pronouncing his last name like Ghee-zhen.

jcw218
12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Joe Buck needs an ego check. If not for his dad being who he was, Joe would be serving Budweiser in a bar in St. Louis.

I would definitely like to see baseball back on NBC.

If Fox does get hockey, please none of that glowing puck bull(bleep). I love hockey. Let the game alone. It's exciting enough without all the gimmicks and other crap.

As for Buck not wanting Rooney's call broadcast in 2005, Rooney with a head cold and laryngitis is 100 times the broadcaster Buck is.

"Out. Out. A White Sox winner and a world championship."

Rooney > Buck. Every day of the week.

And twice on Sunday :tongue:!

TheOldRoman
12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I remember watching MLB on NBC in the 80's, sometimes with Bob Costas and Tony Kubek. I really liked it, especially compared to MLB on Fox. My only problem is Costas didn't pronounce Ozzie's name correctly, pronouncing his last name like Ghee-zhen.That is how Ozzie wanted it pronounced in the beginning. Apparently in Venezuela the double L is prounced like "zya" instead of sounding like a y as in other latin countries. Ozzie eventually gave up and accepted the Spanish/Mexican pronunciation of his name, saying "as long as they spell it correctly on my paychecks they can call me whatever they want." The same thing happened in 2009 when Alexei Ramirez said his name was actually pronounced "Alisay." After a few weeks of struggling he said, "Okay, you can call me Alexee again."

Medford Bobby
12-17-2010, 06:42 PM
OK I loved baseball on NBC as a kid, but isn't the whole game of the week a 60's tv thing when nobody had access to every MLB game played any where everyday....?:scratch:

Everybody bitches when blackouts might keep us from seeing a Sox game in Arizona or where ever??:o:

gobears1987
12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
I would love if they could swap the NHL and MLB. MLB broadcasts on NBC get Bob Costas instead of Buck and McCarver and NHL broadcasts on Fox lose Pierre McGuire. It's win-win! Fox getting the NHL would also hopefully mean no more Cup Final games on Versus.

ewokpelts
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I have a feeling TBS might jump in on hockey too.

Bucky F. Dent
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM

NBC/Comcast have been approached by FOX to take over the final 3 years of the MLB contract which expires in 2013 and NBC appears to be interested.

FOX officials have stated that MLB is not working for them and they want to focus on the NFL and possibly the NHL. MLB doesn't care as long as they get paid what it owed to them.

Moving to NBC would knock Buck out as he would obviously stay with the NFL but McCarver could be out. Tim has worked for every network that carried MLB EXCEPT NBC.

The big plus of going to NBC is the cross-promotion MLB can do with the Today Show and Nightly News which FOX can't come close to matching.

God Bless Us, Everyone!

tstrike2000
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
That is how Ozzie wanted it pronounced in the beginning. Apparently in Venezuela the double L is prounced like "zya" instead of sounding like a y as in other latin countries. Ozzie eventually gave up and accepted the Spanish/Mexican pronunciation of his name, saying "as long as they spell it correctly on my paychecks they can call me whatever they want." The same thing happened in 2009 when Alexei Ramirez said his name was actually pronounced "Alisay." After a few weeks of struggling he said, "Okay, you can call me Alexee again."

I....did not know that.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHJnXZcm3amfHzXPTepckh9eEcEy2DJ DodpohNrPzbPeD4CdH-

Frater Perdurabo
12-17-2010, 09:08 PM
I remember watching MLB on NBC in the 80's, sometimes with Bob Costas and Tony Kubek. I really liked it, especially compared to MLB on Fox. My only problem is Costas didn't pronounce Ozzie's name correctly, pronouncing his last name like Ghee-zhen.

That is how Ozzie wanted it pronounced in the beginning. Apparently in Venezuela the double L is prounced like "zya" instead of sounding like a y as in other latin countries. Ozzie eventually gave up and accepted the Spanish/Mexican pronunciation of his name, saying "as long as they spell it correctly on my paychecks they can call me whatever they want." The same thing happened in 2009 when Alexei Ramirez said his name was actually pronounced "Alisay." After a few weeks of struggling he said, "Okay, you can call me Alexee again."

I....did not know that.

IIRC from my high school and grad school Spanish classes, in the Castillian dialect of Spanish, the double-L is pronounced more like a soft "j," or a "zya."

In most other dialects of Spanish, the double-L is more of a "y" sound.

Fenway
12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
NBC had a love for the game

perfect example
A3OfRjfllgw

Brian26
12-17-2010, 11:39 PM

NBC did great with the Saturday afternoon game of the week. I grew up with Costas and Kubek doing the AL game and Vin and Joe doing the NL. That was baseball magic.

ABC had their hat in the ring too though, especially in the late 70s and early 80s. Go back and watch some of the highlights. Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, Don Drysdale and later Al Michaels all announced World Series games and the Monday night game of the week. Some of those ABC games were great. I loved Michaels' call of the Dave Henderson homer in '86 off Donnie Moore.

I'm excited about the possible move, but it may be more out of nostalgia than anything. The guys I just mentioned are no longer available (except for perhaps Costas and Michaels), and the way sports in general are covered now is much different than it was in the 80s. The magic of network games is also not like it used to be since we can all see hundreds of games a season on satellite.

Foulke You
12-18-2010, 01:19 AM

Excellent post. In addition to their obnoxious presentation style, their choice of broadcasters is awful. Buck's ego and bland delivery combined with McCarver's "Captain Obvious" comments are as bad as it gets. I also don't care for a lot of their "B" and "C" announce crews that often do White Sox Saturday games during the regular season. They use a lot of the vanilla PBP announcers that you can't tell apart. Thom Brenneman, Josh Lewin, and Kenny Albert all sound about the same to me. Mark Grace on color commentary drives me nuts because he is constantly cracking himself up and seems like he drinks 3 Red Bulls before every broadcast. Switching to NBC would be a welcome purge of the hot garbage that Fox puts in the booth.

kcsportscaster
12-18-2010, 03:47 AM

Please, please tell this HARDCORE baseball fan that what you're saying is true BECAUSE I AM BEYOND SICK OF FOX, ESPECIALLY BUCK AND MCCARVER!!!! Not to mention Fox ruining their NFL coverage also!!

Ranger
12-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Here is a little story about Joe Buck that was told to me by Bill Webb who is FOX's main director (and also does the Yankees games for YES)

In 2004 - when it appeared certain Boston was going to win, FOX wanted to go to WEEI-Boston audio live and have Joe Castiglione's of the final out go live on FOX. Buck went into a massive snit.

A year later in Houston they wanted to use John Rooney and again Buck said no.

I mentioned that to Sean McDonough who said had CBS approached him to let Tom Cheek (Jay's announcer) do something in 1992 he would have happily said yes. But Sean's calls in both 2002 and 2003 were well received in Toronto.

Nixon bunts! Timlin on it! Throws to first . . . For the first time in history, the world championship banner will fly north of the border! The Toronto Blue Jays are baseball's best in 1992!

Well-hit down the left-field line! Way back and GONE! Joe Carter with a three-run homer! The winners and still world champions, the Toronto Blue Jays!

Cheek's radio call in Toronto was wonderful

"Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!

Buck hasn't had a memoriable World Series ending call YET!!!!.

he botched 2004

"Back to Foulke. Red Sox fans have longed to hear it: the Boston Red Sox are World Champions!"

Joe Castiglione nailed it

"Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first. And the Boston Red Sox are World Champions. For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball's world championship. Can you believe it?"

as did John Rooney a year later

"Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro. A ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it...he throws. Out, out, a White Sox winner and a world championship. The White Sox have won the World Series and they're mobbing each other on the field."

Sorry, but I have to disagree with pretty much everybody here. While I can understand the anti-McCarver sentiments, Joe Buck is an excellent baseball announcer. He's not "disinterested", I can tell you that.

And as far as not having a "memorable call", I think that's an unfair way to judge the quality of the broadcaster, for one. Sometimes the moments themselves make the call great because you associate the moments with the call.

Second (and most importantly), there is something in common with all the examples you've given here. They're all radio calls. Of course, they're more descriptive, because they kind of have to be. If you're listening on the radio, you can't see it. Buck works in TV, he's not necessarily supposed to be talkative in the big moments. I think he's just as good as anybody in understanding that the picture tells the story in the huge moments...he doesn't have to. He makes the call and then gets the hell out of the way to let the picture and the crowd noise do the talking. He doesn't make himself the moment.

Ranger
12-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Excellent post. In addition to their obnoxious presentation style, their choice of broadcasters is awful. Buck's ego and bland delivery combined with McCarver's "Captain Obvious" comments are as bad as it gets. I also don't care for a lot of their "B" and "C" announce crews that often do White Sox Saturday games during the regular season. They use a lot of the vanilla PBP announcers that you can't tell apart. Thom Brenneman, Josh Lewin, and Kenny Albert all sound about the same to me. Mark Grace on color commentary drives me nuts because he is constantly cracking himself up and seems like he drinks 3 Red Bulls before every broadcast. Switching to NBC would be a welcome purge of the hot garbage that Fox puts in the booth.

And why do we think this would be any different on another network?

Foulke You
12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
And why do we think this would be any different on another network?
I don't recall being this annoyed when Bob Costas and company were calling the games on NBC. However, you are correct that there will likely be some crossover of some of the things I dislike. If they removed Buck and McCarver from the World Series, that would be reward enough. It's my #1 complaint about Fox.

Sorry Ranger, I don't share your view on Buck. He really does sound disinterested and snarky most of the time. Below is a link to an interview with Buck where he says he doesn't like baseball (too long and boring) and rarely watches any sports when he isn't calling a game. (He'd rather watch "The Bachelor") It's my opinion that Buck's lack of enthusiasm about the game of baseball comes out in his broadcasts.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html

Railsplitter
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Like "skedule" (American English) and "shedule" (British English) for "schedule"

RadioheadRocks
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I think he's just as good as anybody in understanding that the picture tells the story in the huge moments...he doesn't have to. He makes the call and then gets the hell out of the way to let the picture and the crowd noise do the talking. He doesn't make himself the moment.

If Buck is so "generous and benevolent", how do you explain his ****-fits over Castiglione handling the final call in '04 and Rooney in '05???

Hopefully this is GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE, BUCK AND MCCARVER... DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YA WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YA!!!

kba
12-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm excited about the possible move, but it may be more out of nostalgia than anything. The guys I just mentioned are no longer available (except for perhaps Costas and Michaels), and the way sports in general are covered now is much different than it was in the 80s. The magic of network games is also not like it used to be since we can all see hundreds of games a season on satellite.

The last season NBC did baseball was 2000, and their announcers were Costas and Joe Morgan. Both happen to be available now if NBC wanted to bring back that team.

As late as 2000, when NBC was sharing the baseball contract with Fox, NBC was still doing an "old-school" broadcast. No sound effects, very clean basic graphics, etc. NBC never adopted the constant "game status" box in the corner of the screen, which was already common on the other networks.

It would be interesting to see how they'd approach the game ten years later.

asindc
12-19-2010, 12:09 AM
The last season NBC did baseball was 2000, and their announcers were Costas and Joe Morgan. Both happen to be available now if NBC wanted to bring back that team.

As late as 2000, when NBC was sharing the baseball contract with Fox, NBC was still doing an "old-school" broadcast. No sound effects, very clean basic graphics, etc. NBC never adopted the constant "game status" box in the corner of the screen, which was already common on the other networks.

It would be interesting to see how they'd approach the game ten years later.

The NBC broadcasts of ND football games might be an indication. If so, then they will deliver close to what they used to in terms of no frills presentation.

vinny
12-19-2010, 08:51 AM
No more McCarver? It's a Christmas miracle! :wooty:

With Joe Garagiola SR.?

For real - bring back Vin Scully too.

Viva Medias B's
12-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Please, God, let this be true. Like most of you, I grew up on the NBC Game of the Week.

HQHAUJL7rdU

Viva Medias B's
12-19-2010, 09:21 AM
hZA2Dz7I1X8

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2010, 03:33 PM
hZA2Dz7I1X8

Great music. The instrumentation is a bit outdated now, but the tune is great. Hopefully they would re-record it and use it again!

Oblong
12-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Funny but McCarver's actually stopped bugging me. Maybe it's because he's starting to come across a bit looney so there's the "Crazy Uncle" aspect to it. For my TV I don't mind goofballs because I don't need them to tell me what's going on. I can see it. That's why Hawk doesn't bother me as a non sox fan because he's different.

Buck, and the rest of Fox, are just too polished, produced, and "professional". Not sure if that makes sense but it's how I feel. I like cheese.

NardiWasHere
12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with pretty much everybody here. While I can understand the anti-McCarver sentiments, Joe Buck is an excellent baseball announcer. He's not "disinterested", I can tell you that.

And as far as not having a "memorable call", I think that's an unfair way to judge the quality of the broadcaster, for one. Sometimes the moments themselves make the call great because you associate the moments with the call.

Second (and most importantly), there is something in common with all the examples you've given here. They're all radio calls. Of course, they're more descriptive, because they kind of have to be. If you're listening on the radio, you can't see it. Buck works in TV, he's not necessarily supposed to be talkative in the big moments. I think he's just as good as anybody in understanding that the picture tells the story in the huge moments...he doesn't have to. He makes the call and then gets the hell out of the way to let the picture and the crowd noise do the talking. He doesn't make himself the moment.

Ranger, you are totally wrong. Buck is horrible and he does make himself the moment, just in a different way.

I can't count how many times I've seen/heard Buck insert himself via holier than thou faux-outrage over unimportant crap that has nothing to do with the game.

He's obsessed with pointing out "controversy"... and the entire broadcast suffers from the same problem on Fox. They don't allow the games to sell themselves. Everything is squeezed through some story-telling/narrative prism.

Instead of showing the audience the game and letting it speak for itself, we get stories about curses.

Instead of letting the great play on the field take the stage, they give us a never-ending commentary on the officiating.

Instead of promoting all the teams and great players across the league we only hear NYY and BOS.

Instead of treating the fan/viewer with respect, they give us a talking cartoon baseball that explains what a curveball does.

They don't trust the natural drama of the sports they cover. As a result, they insert fake manufactured drama and it shows.

I read about a study that counted how many times different channels used a close up on a player's face. Fox was by far the leader. Why do you think that is? Fox isn't in the business of broadcasting sports, but trying to create reality tv. Its crap.

NardiWasHere
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Also, Ranger

Here's a great clip of Fox taking itself out of the game....

Apparently they are experimenting with putting dramatic music on like a soundtrack to the game... This is not doctored. Apparently music was being played the entire game unless a live play was happening.

JQu0ynlNtbg

soltrain21
12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Ranger, you are totally wrong. Buck is horrible and he does make himself the moment, just in a different way.

I can't count how many times I've seen/heard Buck insert himself via holier than thou faux-outrage over unimportant crap that has nothing to do with the game.

He's obsessed with pointing out "controversy"... and the entire broadcast suffers from the same problem on Fox. They don't allow the games to sell themselves. Everything is squeezed through some story-telling/narrative prism.

Instead of showing the audience the game and letting it speak for itself, we get stories about curses.

Instead of letting the great play on the field take the stage, they give us a never-ending commentary on the officiating.

Instead of promoting all the teams and great players across the league we only hear NYY and BOS.

Instead of treating the fan/viewer with respect, they give us a talking cartoon baseball that explains what a curveball does.

They don't trust the natural drama of the sports they cover. As a result, they insert fake manufactured drama and it shows.

I read about a study that counted how many times different channels used a close up on a player's face. Fox was by far the leader. Why do you think that is? Fox isn't in the business of broadcasting sports, but trying to create reality tv. Its crap.

Every single station for every single sport does what you just described. Not just FOX.

NardiWasHere
12-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Every single station for every single sport does what you just described. Not just FOX.

Fox is the worst.

I don't see a little animated tennis ball on NBC telling me about tennis basics when I watch Wimbledon.

TornLabrum
12-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Also, Ranger

Apparently they are experimenting with putting dramatic music on like a soundtrack to the game... This is not doctored. Apparently music was being played the entire game unless a live play was happening.

JQu0ynlNtbg

That background music reminds me of something produced by NFL films back in the '70s. I can heah John Facenda now.

ewokpelts
12-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Funny but McCarver's actually stopped bugging me. Maybe it's because he's starting to come across a bit looney so there's the "Crazy Uncle" aspect to it. For my TV I don't mind goofballs because I don't need them to tell me what's going on. I can see it. That's why Hawk doesn't bother me as a non sox fan because he's different.

Buck, and the rest of Fox, are just too polished, produced, and "professional". Not sure if that makes sense but it's how I feel. I like cheese.agreed. mccarver sucks still,but he 100 times better than buck.

soltrain21
12-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Fox is the worst.

I don't see a little animated tennis ball on NBC telling me about tennis basics when I watch Wimbledon.

They did that once and got rid of it. You act as if they are continuing to do it. They aren't.

downstairs
12-20-2010, 03:12 PM

I know we're in the minority, but I agree.

I actually like Joe Buck's baseball announcing. He has a great voice, and he tends to step out of the way and let the drama unfold on the screen. Its television, therefore you don't need overly dramatic calls.

Yes, there have been historic "calls" and those are a major part of the game's history.

I still get chills with his simple "back to the wall and this ball is gone" call of Pod's game 2 home run. Maybe it bores some people- to each their own. I thought it was perfect for TV.

gogosox675
12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't really have a problem with Joe Buck or Tim McCarver, but I think it is time for a new broadcast team for nationally-televised baseball. The Buck/McCarver team called their first World Series together in 1996 and have called every World Series since 2000. That's enough for me. It would really be nice if Jon Miller was hired as the main play-by-play man, but I know that's not going to happen.

gobears1987
12-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Also, Ranger

JQu0ynlNtbg

The only music that should ever accompany an NFL game is the NFL Films music of Sam Spence.

gobears1987
12-21-2010, 07:55 AM
That background music reminds me of something produced by NFL films back in the '70s. I can heah John Facenda now.

It doesn't remind me of NFL Films because the music sucks. The NFL Films music was music composed specifically for NFL Films and was always well used with the plays it accompanied.

I was born long after John Facenda died, but I grew up watching my dad's extensive NFL Films library with films narrated by him and the late Harry Kallas.

NardiWasHere
12-21-2010, 06:19 PM
They did that once and got rid of it. You act as if they are continuing to do it. They aren't.

They continue to do stupid stuff. Look at the video I posted of them trying to "add drama" to the game by playing dramatic soundtrack music DURING the game.

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2010, 10:14 PM

"The Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field".:rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
12-24-2010, 10:41 PM
NBC had a love for the game

perfect example
A3OfRjfllgw

Interesting choice you made here, Fens.
The Sox were all fired up to "do it again like they did last summer"
Detroit would start the 1984 season with their 35-5 burst out of the gates, to eventually win the World Series.
And this game was a Jack Morris no-hitter against our boys!

SMO
:gulp:

SOX LA Mikey
12-25-2010, 06:14 AM
yeah, I was at this game :(
game #2 of the season because I missed opening day.

FOX SPORTS SUCKS! -FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL
REASON #1: JOE BUCK

Interesting choice you made here, Fens.
The Sox were all fired up to "do it again like they did last summer"
Detroit would start the 1984 season with their 35-5 burst out of the gates, to eventually win the World Series.
And this game was a Jack Morris no-hitter against our boys!

Viva Medias B's
12-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Joe Buck should stay in St. Louis and do Cardinal baseball.

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
If NBC is indeed going to do baseball again, please, dear Lord willing, hire Vin Scully to do Play by Play of the World Series.:crossfingers::praying: