PDA

View Full Version : Thank God Edgar Renteria is Well Off Financially

IlliniSox4Life
12-17-2010, 02:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5928384

Mod edit: Please do not reproduce copyrighted material. You may paraphrase it.

I can't imagine the horror of having to choose playing Major League Baseball for only $1,000,000. Thank God he can afford living expenses without stooping to this level.

TommyGavinFloyd
12-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Well, I am barely a "thousand-naire" at this point, but I have to agree with him. He's the reigning World Series MVP and while that 9.5 million option is too steep, I don't see why he should be making half of what Dayan Viciedo will get this year. At least offer him 4 mil or so.

Gavin
12-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Well, I am barely a "thousand-naire" at this point, but I have to agree with him. He's the reigning World Series MVP and while that 9.5 million option is too steep, I don't see why he should be making half of what Dayan Viciedo will get this year. At least offer him 4 mil or so.

He barely hit over a .700 OPS during the season. It's cool that he helped win the World Series and all, but the Giants' organizational goal is to get to the World Series again, not pay Edgar Renteria what he thinks he's worth to be a substandard shortstop.

guillensdisciple
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Mo money mo problems

asindc
12-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I have no problem with his decision and the reason for it, but he is not worth what he thinks he is.

tstrike2000
12-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Like any player, if he doesn't like the offer, then find other suiters. If you don't get any other offers then stick to your "plan B" and go to private business, like he said.

cards press box
12-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I can't imagine the horror of having to choose playing Major League Baseball for only $1,000,000. Thank God he can afford living expenses without stooping to this level.

Hold on -- in any line of work, it's not what you make so much as what you make compared to what your peers make, particularly peers whose work is either as good or less good than your work. Let me put it this way, a mechanic working for repair shop who is paid half of what an inferior mechanic makes will likely be an unhappy mechanic.

Edgar Renteria's complaint, I think, is that he was offered a lot less than market value for his services. Renteria was MVP of the World Series and hit a clutch three-run homer off Cliff Lee to win the deciding game, so maybe he has a point.

Lamp81
12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Another World Series MVP thought he was worth more than he was being offered and wound up not playing in 2010. His name - Jermaine Dye.

Then you have another player, who was one of the game's greats, and decided he would continue to play for whatever he could get (500K). His name - Andruw Jones.

All 3 players, Dye, Jones, and Renteria have made enough money that should last them a lifetime. It is up to them, to price the amount that could get them off the couch to continue the grind of being a pro ballplayer.

soxfanreggie
12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Edgar Renteria's complaint, I think, is that he was offered a lot less than market value for his services. Renteria was MVP of the World Series and hit a clutch three-run homer off Cliff Lee to win the deciding game, so maybe he has a point.

One good game or 10 good at-bats shouldn't determine a contract. He has a point, but IMO! It isn't a good one. He is looking out for his interests just as the Giants are their own. Maybe he needs to find a new place to play or, more likely, retire.