PDA

View Full Version : Yanks Looking At Garcia?

Lip Man 1
12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Gail Fisher on Comcast Sports Chicago said tonight that the Yankees had asked for the medical records on Freddy Garcia.

Her written script used the words, Yankees - desperate - Freddy Garcia which I thought was a slap at Garcia personally.

Lip

soltrain21
12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm surprised we haven't signed him yet. We need him.

JermaineDye05
12-17-2010, 12:44 AM
They asked for the medical records?

Spoiler Alert:

:bong:

Zisk77
12-17-2010, 12:54 AM

Spoiler Alert:

Ooo, Their not going to like it when they find out Freddy was pronounced dead two years ago.:redneck

Nelson Foxtrot
12-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Spoiler Alert:

Isn't it just a case of certain fans thinking he looks like he might use that, rather than real evidence? It's not like we'll see this on Soxileaks:

"Patient complained of shoulder stiffness and requested medical marijuana for treatment. Listed his previous physician as 'My cousin's boy Nate.' Listed previous physician's address as 'his mom's garage.' Described physician as 'Not into that quack med school scam. He studied for two years in community college, majored in philosophy. Heavy ****, man, knows everything about everything. He's got an awesome lizard secretary and beanbag chairs in the waiting carport. Dude's even got a filing cabinet for all the meds. Total first class operation.' Patient also complained about bloodshot eyes and requested medical marijuana to treat that. Ranted about post-game spread not containing Cheetos. Built a bong out of my tongue depressors. Did not allow me to examine his shoulder."

I think his health is a legitimate concern. He's 35 and missed some starts this year. He threw a lot of innings in '05-'06 and missed most of the next three years. I still hope we resign him as a fifth starter until Peavy gets back, but I don't think I'd rely on him for much beyond that or long relief. "Desperate" does sound too harsh, though.

Bobotty13
12-17-2010, 03:27 AM
If I am not mistaking I think that reference was made because Garcia in fact tested positive for marijuana during the World Baseball Classic in 06. I could be wrong my memory is a bit hazy.

DrCrawdad
12-17-2010, 05:49 AM
If I am not mistaking I think that reference was made because Garcia in fact tested positive for marijuana during the World Baseball Classic in 06. I could be wrong my memory is a bit hazy.

"Garcia experienced a bit of controversy at the beginning of the 2006 season when he tested positive for marijuana during the World Baseball Classic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic)." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Garcia)

Freddy's memory is probably a bit hazy as well...

:)

ChiSoxGal85
12-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm surprised we haven't signed him yet. We need him.

I agree. Would have thought we might have wrapped him up already and relatively cheaply. Wonder if he"d be willing to work out of the bullpen?

Zisk77
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM

Freddy, is that you? :redneck

DumpJerry
12-17-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree. Would have thought we might have wrapped him up already and relatively cheaply. Wonder if he"d be willing to work out of the bullpen?
Freddy is not someone who would do well coming out of a bullpen. He does not have the skill set required to be a get-up-warm-up-in-5-minutes kind of pitcher. He is only useful as a starter.

ChiSoxGal85
12-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Freddy is not someone who would do well coming out of a bullpen. He does not have the skill set required to be a get-up-warm-up-in-5-minutes kind of pitcher. He is only useful as a starter.
I'd still like to see Freddy kept as a 5th/6th starter at the right price. If Peavy doesn't come back right away, Garcia can do it. I suspect Freddy is holding out for a full-time starting job somewhere, though.

DumpJerry
12-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I'd still like to see Freddy kept as a 5th/6th starter at the right price. If Peavy doesn't come back right away, Garcia can do it. I suspect Freddy is holding out for a full-time starting job somewhere, though.
I agree. The problem is that we don't have a crystal ball re: Peavy. If Peavy comes back (and I'm working on the assumption he is not coming back), what will we do? Sale is starter material and he would best serve the team in the rotation. I would not trade Gavin or Danks because that is giving up on the future. If we knew that Peavy was definitely not returning, then I would sign Garcia pronto. Since we do not know, it makes for a tricky situation (unless he is willing to be traded in July if Peavy is back by then).

trilobite_hives
12-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I think I somehow completely missed this entire marijuana story... This just makes Freddy even cooler.

DrCrawdad
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I think I somehow completely missed this entire marijuana story... This just makes Freddy even cooler.

Authorities are now tracing your IP address...

doublem23
12-17-2010, 09:43 AM

That's what people said about Jose Contreras, too.

peelwonder
12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Authorities are now tracing your IP address...

If they're tracing people for Mary Jane usage then they have alot more resources available than I thought.