:(:

Sad news about a baseball legend:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5509574

Viva Medias B's
08-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Hang in there, Bob!

TornLabrum
08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
The good news is that it sounds like he's feeling better. If I ever saw Feller pitch against the Sox on TV, I don't remember it. I'd love to have seen him in his prime.

Noneck
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I have heard many stories from my elders about him, I wish I could have seen him. Everyone goes eventually, I just hate to see one suffer before its ones time.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 11:09 PM
I have heard many stories from my elders about him, I wish I could have seen him. Everyone goes eventually, I just hate to see one suffer before its ones time.

I would hate to see anyone suffer and I wish Mr. Feller all the best, but he is 91 years old, so at the very least he has not been cheated and has led a very long and productive life.

Railsplitter
08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Sad, yes, but nobody can deny Rapid Robert has had a full life.

TDog
08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Sad, yes, but nobody can deny Rapid Robert has had a full life.

I had the opportunity to talk to Mr. Feller in 1994. I have a ball with his autograph big on the sweet spot, which I got through the function we were attending. The smallest autograph belonged to Bob Gibson, the last person to show up. Monte Irvin, I believe, is the only other Hall of Famer on the ball, which has the likes of Steve Garvey, John Mayberry, Richie Hebner, Dave Cash, Pat Kelly and such players (Rick Wise was there, but I've never looked for his autograph) and Roly de Armas, who was the White Sox bullpen coach at the time. I could have had Mr. Feller sign a ball all to himself if I had handed him a clean ball and $5.

Actually, 15 years ago he seemed a bitter old man who remembered the integration of the American League much differently than Larry Doby does. But he was one of the greatest pitchers who ever lived. I'm honored to have met him. I wish him well. He will be missed when he is gone.

chisox59
12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Bob Feller has been moved to hospice.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/08/feller.hospice.ap/index.html

thomas35forever
12-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Very sad news.:(:

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Very unfortunate. Glad I met him when I had the chance.

spawn
12-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Dude is 92 years old. He's lived a pretty long, full life.

fram40
12-09-2010, 09:56 PM
This is sad news. He is true baseball legend and old-timer from the 1930s. I saw the interview show he did with Bob Coastas on MLB Network. One of the best I have ever seen.

He pitched to Lou Gehrig. He said Lou couldn't hit a breaking ball (iirc)

Rockabilly
12-15-2010, 09:18 PM
RIP to one of the greatest pitchers of all time.

michned
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Mr. Feller has passed.

Link (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/bob-feller-1918-2010/)

DirtySox
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I think your smiley face is going the wrong way.

Edit: Someone fixed it.

GlassSox
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
One of the greats, may he rest in peace.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Sad, but at 92 years old he led a very full and rewarding life. RIP.

GoGoCrede
12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
It seems so soon from when he was first diagnosed. May he rest in peace. At least he is beyond suffering now.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
R.I.P Rapid Robert.

asindc
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Bob Feller was one of the first baseball players I read about. For that reason, I've always been interested in his story. RIP, Mr. Feller.

cbone
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40691712/ns/sports-baseball/

One of the greatest.

LongLiveFisk
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
RIP to a baseball legend.

:rip:

Viva Medias B's
12-15-2010, 10:07 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40691712/ns/sports-baseball/

One of the greatest.

Coverage (http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/) from the Indians page of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

:rip:
Requiescat in Pace, Bob

Lip Man 1
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Great pitcher, great man.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
12-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Bob Feller was one of the first baseball players I read about. For that reason, I've always been interested in his story. RIP, Mr. Feller.

Me too, I will always remember that great Indians pitching staff he was part of, especially the 1954 team that won 111 games.

NLaloosh
12-16-2010, 07:07 AM
I have a Bob Feller story:

When I was about 10 or 11 years old I begged my mother to take me to this baseball card show at the Hillside Holiday Inn. It was around 1973.

Bob Feller was there signing autographs. My family had recently taken a trip to Cooperstown and I had a small stack of photos of most of the HOFers(not that many at that time). So, I brought them along.

Times were much different then. Firstly, the autographs were free and as many as you wanted within reason. Also, Bob was so nice that he would actually have a conversation with each person in line.

Well, as I'm waiting I'm getting more and more excited and anxious because I never really met a famous person this close before. And, my mother really seemed pretty blase about it like she was waiting in line at the grocery store.

When I finally get up to the front of the line, Bob looks at me and smiles then he looks at my mother and his face lights up. He doesn't look at me again for about 5 minutes and he just starts talking to my mother. At frst, I don't know what's going on. After a few minutes I realize Bob Feller is flirting with my mother! Finally, he signs my photos and was really nice to me but it seemed like he did not want my mother to leave.

Later, I talked to my mom about it because I was blown away that this HOFer is giving my mom all of this attention. My mother doesn't seem to understand what the fuss is about. He's just some old guy to her!

Fenway
12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Met him on the field at Fenway 20 years ago before an Old-Timers Game - He said something to me that sounded odd but who am I to say he was wrong.

He said the problem with young pitchers today (1989) was aluminum bats saying young pitchers were blowing their arms out too early before they even went pro.

40 years later he will still bitter the Boston Braves beat him in Game 1 of the 48 World Series with a hidden ball trick. He never won a World Series game which bothered him.

illinibk
12-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Great pitcher, great man.

Lip
Very true. The man enlisted in the Navy the day after Pearl Harbor and gave up the prime of his career for this country. A good man indeed.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Very true. The man enlisted in the Navy the day after Pearl Harbor and gave up the prime of his career for this country. A good man indeed.

Feller for some reason thought Yogi Berra had soft duty during the war and gave Yogi grief about it. Turns out Mr. Berra was a gunner's mate at a place called Omaha Beach in 1944. Yogi just never wanted to talk about it.

Standing Ovation
12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Why you should never use a sharpie to sign a baseball...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOB-FELLER-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-HOF-INSC-AUTO-/280605030992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41555cfa50

Anyway, nice guy. Very sharp for his age. We had a nice conversation about collegiate baseball when I met him at his museum in Van Meter, about 4 years ago. If you're ever looking for something to do near Des Moines, I recommend visiting: www.bobfellermuseum.org (http://www.bobfellermuseum.org)

It was better than I expected. From time to time, they have autograph guests too.

downstairs
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Met him on the field at Fenway 20 years ago before an Old-Timers Game - He said something to me that sounded odd but who am I to say he was wrong.

He said the problem with young pitchers today (1989) was aluminum bats saying young pitchers were blowing their arms out too early before they even went pro.

40 years later he will still bitter the Boston Braves beat him in Game 1 of the 48 World Series with a hidden ball trick. He never won a World Series game which bothered him.

Firstly, at least he got a ring. Always makes me sad to see HoF'ers without rings.

Secondly, I have no idea how aluminum bats cause any issues with a pitcher?

Fenway
12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Firstly, at least he got a ring. Always makes me sad to see HoF'ers without rings.

I have no idea either but who am I to argue with Bob Feller on pitching :tongue:

TDog
12-16-2010, 06:22 PM

It is complicated, but it relates to the fact that alloy bats don't break and they are very forgiving. Even I can hit a pretty hard straight fastball at age 53 with a light alloy bat, and if I hit is on a part of the bat where a wood bat would break or wouldn't go anywhere (because I'm not going to center it as it would need to do with a wooden bat), the ball has a chance to shoot through or over the infield.

Pitchers find success not just in striking hitters out but in pitching to poor contact, i.e. breaking bats. You take away some of the bad contact, and pitchers have to do more with their pitches to get guys out. The emphasis on strikeouts is not a good thing for the longevity of many pitchers, although Bob Feller was a high-strikeout pitcher and Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson had some longevity. But Ryan came up before alloy bats were used and Johnson learned how to pitch well enough that he could get by without his fastball.

I got to meet Bob Feller and some of the things he said sounded like the rants of a bitter old man. I don't agree always with him. Larry Doby wasn't just another member of the team when he came up to the Indians, for example. But that, I believe that is what he was getting at with pitchers blowing out their arms because of alloy bats.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Here are Feller's own words - makes a lot of sense

http://books.google.com/books?id=ewLMKATa0gwC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=bob+feller+aluminum+bats&source=bl&ots=5LmtgDKzYB&sig=Oaqn

It is complicated, but it relates to the fact that alloy bats don't break and they are very forgiving. Even I can hit a pretty hard straight fastball at age 53 with a light alloy bat, and if I hit is on a part of the bat where a wood bat would break or wouldn't go anywhere (because I'm not going to center it as it would need to do with a wooden bat), the ball has a chance to shoot through or over the infield.

Pitchers find success not just in striking hitters out but in pitching to poor contact, i.e. breaking bats. You take away some of the bad contact, and pitchers have to do more with their pitches to get guys out. The emphasis on strikeouts is not a good thing for the longevity of many pitchers, although Bob Feller was a high-strikeout pitcher and Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson had some longevity. But Ryan came up before alloy bats were used and Johnson learned how to pitch well enough that he could get by without his fastball.

I got to meet Bob Feller and some of the things he said sounded like the rants of a bitter old man. I don't agree always with him. Larry Doby wasn't just another member of the team when he came up to the Indians, for example. But that, I believe that is what he was getting at with pitchers blowing out their arms because of alloy bats.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Bob Ryan writes a wonderful piece on Feller

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/12/16/feller_hard_and_fast/

Fenway
12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I guess Bob Feller was a fan of Howard Johnson's

http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2010/12/bob-feller-and-howard-johnsons-in.html

Fenway
01-28-2011, 05:47 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, MLB Network is again running Bob Costas' sit down with Bob Feller tonight (1/28) at 8:00 p.m Chicago time

illinibk
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, MLB Network is again running Bob Costas' sit down with Bob Feller tonight (1/28) at 8:00 p.m Chicago time

That was a really good interview, probably one of the best ever on MLB network. Feller was a great man, and it was nice to see him still very sharp when that interview was conducted. During that interview, I kept telling myself that if I could go back in time and watch one player, it would be Bob Feller, with Walter Johnson and Ty Cobb coming in a close second.