PDA

View Full Version : Malone coming up?


Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 05:49 PM
From the SouthTown:

One option could be to bring up pitcher Corwin Malone. The 21-year-old left-hander is 8-4 with a 4.11 ERA for Double-A Birmingham this season. He has a team-high 65 strikeouts in 87 2/3 innings pitched.

Malone "continues getting a lot better, and he's getting close (the a call-up)," Williams said.

I'd like to hear what our minor league experts think about this.

HawkDJ
06-30-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm no minor league expert but that would seem like a bad bad move. Malone hasn't been very consistent in AA it seems. Give him some more time I say!

Meanwhile Bill Simas has a 2.57 ERA in AAA Charlotte and we are not considering bringing him up?

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'm no minor league expert but that would seem like a bad bad move. Malone hasn't been very consistent in AA, so how would we expect him to do any good in the majors? Give him some more time I say!

Meanwhile Bill Simas has a 2.57 ERA in AAA Charlotte and we are not considering bringing him up?

They need starting pitching. I'd hate to see them have to send down Ginter, just to call up Malone. We shall see, what Williams and crew have in store.

HawkDJ
06-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


They need starting pitching. I'd hate to see them have to send down Ginter, just to call up Malone. We shall see, what Williams and crew have in store.

Or we could always give Ginter a shot at the rotation.

Anyways Malone pitches tonight so we'll see how he does.

Randar68
06-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the SouthTown:



I'd like to hear what our minor league experts think about this.

I'll keep it real simple....not a good move.

He was overmatched and probably not ready for MLB spring training. His K totals are down and his BB totals are up from last year. He's still not consistently throwing strikes. An August call-up when rosters expand is one thing, but as a starter before them is a REALLY bad idea.

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I'll keep it real simple....not a good move.

He was overmatched and probably not ready for MLB spring training. His K totals are down and his BB totals are up from last year. He's still not consistently throwing strikes. An August call-up when rosters expand is one thing, but as a starter before them is a REALLY bad idea.

Thought so. The last thing he needs is to come up here and have Nardi giving him ideas.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 07:40 PM
:crede
"Sonava....."

But yeah I do remember Corwin not looking to good during ST, and I remember saying I hope it doesnt effect him during the year, looks like it may have. But didn't Malone actually pitch well in one of the last ST games, I think the exhibition game at Pac Bell against the Giants?

kermittheefrog
06-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Amazingly horrible idea. He's got a piss poor K/BB ratio of 65/57. He's not getting it done at AA and he's in a great pitchers park where a lot of young starters in the Sox organization have found themselves.

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Amazingly horrible idea. He's got a piss poor K/BB ratio of 65/57. He's not getting it done at AA and he's in a great pitchers park where a lot of young starters in the Sox organization have found themselves.

So that's 2 votes from our minor league experts for keeping him down on the farm.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Anyone know what Danny Wrights AA Stats are compared to Malone's right now when he got called up last year?

kermittheefrog
06-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Anyone know what Danny Wrights AA Stats are compared to Malone's right now when he got called up last year?

Danny's stats were excellent. Good ERA, 1:1 K:IP, 3:1 K:BB. Exactly what you want from a prospect. Malone sucks in comparison.

Chisox_cali
06-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


Danny's stats were excellent. Good ERA, 1:1 K:IP, 3:1 K:BB. Exactly what you want from a prospect. Malone sucks in comparison.

And we all see what happened with him So Far....

Imagine what would happen with some one statistically worse, unless it's some kind of bizarro world where Malone is dominant when he comes up north.

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Danny's stats were excellent. Good ERA, 1:1 K:IP, 3:1 K:BB. Exactly what you want from a prospect. Malone sucks in comparison.

Why is Malone having such a tough time with his control this season?

Daver
06-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Why is Malone having such a tough time with his control this season?

Cause he should have spent another year in A ball.

HawkDJ
06-30-2002, 11:14 PM
In case you were wondering, Malone gave up 5 earned runs in 5 2/3 innings today in a loss. He gave up 4 walks and had 1 strikeout. I think he's ready!

duke of dorwood
06-30-2002, 11:43 PM
I trust WSI experts and never trust Williams. This move makes no sense if it is done.