PDA

View Full Version : Matt Guerrier signs 3-year, $12 million contract with LAD.

asindc
12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Here is the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5922480

Question for Sox fans-Would you have liked to see KW sign Guerrier to that contract?

kittle42
12-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Any loss to the Twins is our gain.

guillen4life13
12-15-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure. $4M smells like Linebrink, but Guerrier has been dominant in the AL for most of his career.

I'm glad he's not on the Twins anymore, and it would have been a nice addition on the Sox, but I'm just wary of giving relievers contracts like that.

dwitt76
12-15-2010, 01:54 PM

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
He came up with the Sox originally, right? Why did it not work out for him with the Sox in the first place?

EDIT: The Sox dealt him to Pittsburgh in March 2002 for Damaso Marte and Edwin Yan. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guerrma02.shtml)

doublem23
12-15-2010, 02:02 PM
He came up with the Sox originally, right? Why did it not work out for him with the Sox in the first place?

He got dealt to the Pirates for Damaso Marte at a time when we desperately needed a left-handed setup man in the bullpen (for reference, in 2002 when we aquired Marte, the other lefties who appeared in relief for the Sox were Kelly Wunsch, a full 2 years removed from his magical 2000 season, Mike Porzio, and Jim Parque).

Marte had 3 fine seasons for the Sox. Just one of those deals that worked out for both teams... If the Pirates had developed and kept Guerrier, of course, but they let him go after the 2003 season and Minnesota scooped him up.

Foulke You
12-15-2010, 02:07 PM
This is great news. Guerrier off the Twins and out of our league entirely! Now, let's hope Jesse Crain is next.

tstrike2000
12-15-2010, 02:12 PM

I want to say the same thing, but my main concern is wondering who they have taking his place.

TDog
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM

I don't think the Sox had any problem with him. I think they really wanted Damaso Marte, and with good reason. He was as good as southpaw relievers get in 2002 and 2003. He was good enough in 2002 that the then-manager talked about making him a starter in 2003 without inspiring laughs of derision. Once he started making more more than $1 million a year, he stopped being a very good reliever, but that didn't hurt his earning potential. The Yankees paid him $4 million to pitch less than 20 innings in 2010 and will pay him $4 million if he doesn't throw a pitch in 2011.

Fortunately, the Yankees are paying Boone Logan less to do the job Damaso Marte was supposed to do.

Foulke You
12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think the Sox had any problem with him. I think they really wanted Damaso Marte, and with good reason. He was as good as southpaw relievers get in 2002 and 2003. He was good enough in 2002 that the then-manager talked about making him a starter in 2003 without inspiring laughs of derision. Once he started making more more than $1 million a year, he stopped being a very good reliever, but that didn't hurt his earning potential. The Yankees paid him $4 million to pitch less than 20 innings in 2010 and will pay him $4 million if he doesn't throw a pitch in 2011.

Fortunately, the Yankees are paying Boone Logan less to do the job Damaso Marte was supposed to do.
I agree. Also, if memory serves, the Sox were grooming Guerrier as a starter and the Pirates also used him as one where he didn't have much success. Some guys are just better suited for the bullpen and Guerrier seems to be one of those guys.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
And the Twins get weaker.

NLaloosh
12-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I'd rather have Guerrier than Crain. Especially for the same money. But, I'd rather have Jenks than both of them.

Will he really cost much more money? Neither of these guys can close. Right now, the Sox don't have one pitcher that's been a closer for a whole season! I think they could probably get Bobby back for a 2 yr. $ 11 mil. deal.

Anyway, they need to sign a lefty for the pen now. I would love to see a lefty and Freddy added at this point.