PDA

View Full Version : The 20 greatest games of the past 50 years

Fenway
12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/greatest_games/index.jsp

Off the 50 nominated - I would have to go with 1991 Twins-Braves as everything was on the line.

2nd choice - The Bucky Dent game which had it all.

PKalltheway
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I picked Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, but you really can't go wrong with most of these.

Number two for me would be the '91 World Series, while number three would go to the one-game playoff between the Rockies and Padres in 2007. I'm biased a bit with that one, but that was possibly the most tense I have ever been watching a non-Sox related baseball game. I wanted the Rockies to win that one badly!

Hitmen77
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/greatest_games/index.jsp

Off the 50 nominated - I would have to go with 1991 Twins-Braves as everything was on the line.

2nd choice - The Bucky Dent game which had it all.

MLB network recently aired an interview with Bench, Perez, and Morgan and Bob Costas pointed out that the Oct. 1972 NLCS clincher with Bench's HR was the last inning of baseball ever played by Roberto Clemente. You can see Clemente in that video clip watch Bench's HR sail over the fence.

Fenway
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
What I remember most about the 78 Bucky Dent game was everybody in the park just sat down and didn't move for 3 hours....nobody wanted to miss anything.

DSpivack
12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
That 97 Game 7 is up there, too.

vinny
12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
As great a game as the '91 Twins-Braves game 7 was, it still hurts too much, nearly 20 years later, to watch, much less vote for it. I went for Bream's slide in 1992 against the Pirates in the NLCS.

Honorable mention to the D-Backs taking Rivera and the Yankees in 2001.

kittle42
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I refuse to honor any list without "C'mon, Timo!" on it.

Moses_Scurry
12-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The PODs World Series walk-off gets overlooked in my opinion. While I realize that pretty much only Sox fans would vote for it, I still think it deserves to be an option more so than some of those games. Who cares that Ryne Sandberg hit 2 homeruns off Bruce Sutter in a JUNE game??

Any world series game that has a walk-off HR should be included as an option in my opinion, even if it is an early game in the series. This is especially true if the team that has the walk-off goes on to win it all.

DSpivack
12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
The PODs World Series walk-off gets overlooked in my opinion. While I realize that pretty much only Sox fans would vote for it, I still think it deserves to be an option more so than some of those games. Who cares that Ryne Sandberg hit 2 homeruns off Bruce Sutter in a JUNE game??

Any world series game that has a walk-off HR should be included as an option in my opinion, even if it is an early game in the series. This is especially true if the team that has the walk-off goes on to win it all.

That the Sox swept does not help that.

dwitt76
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
The 08 blackout game is also overlooked. 1-0 pitching duel with a mammoth HR by Jim Thome.

dagame2005
12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
The 08 blackout game is also overlooked. 1-0 pitching duel with a mammoth HR by Jim Thome.

By far the best game I have ever attended in my life, in any sport. That includes the 2005 playoffs.

gogosox675
12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised Game 6 of the 1991 World Series isn't on the list. I suppose they wanted to limit it to one game per series.

vinny
12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised Game 6 of the 1991 World Series isn't on the list. I suppose they wanted to limit it to one game per series.
I felt so awful for Charlie Liebrandt after that game. And I still hate Kirby Puckett.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
What about Game 4 of the 2005 World Series? A 1-0 game with the go ahead run scoring in the eighth? Pretty good game if you ask me.

PaleHoser
12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Some of these games are available on iTunes for $1.99 if you want to watch them in their entirety.

A few that come to mind immediately -

1975 World Series Game 6
1979 Phillies/Cubs slugfest
1991 World Series Game 7

It's money well spent, particularly in the off-season when you need a fix. Search "Baseball's Best" to get the list of available games.

Woofer
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
An incredible amount of Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs games on this list. I guess that these are the only teams that play important games.

Moses_Scurry
12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
An incredible amount of Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs games on this list. I guess that these are the only teams that play important games.

I'm surprised that they didn't put every single Red Sox game of the 2004 postseason on there.

gogosox675
12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Some of these games are available on iTunes for $1.99 if you want to watch them in their entirety.

A few that come to mind immediately -

1975 World Series Game 6
1979 Phillies/Cubs slugfest
1991 World Series Game 7

It's money well spent, particularly in the off-season when you need a fix. Search "Baseball's Best" to get the list of available games.

I wish they had more White Sox games, though. I really want to buy the AL West clincher from 1993 but it isn't up there. Regardless, there are still a lot of good games.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2010, 02:43 PM

That is upsetting that there are so many Yankee, Red Sox and Cub games there but by and large I think MLB Network does a VERY good job of giving teams equal time and not just focusing solely on the Red Sox, Yankees or Cubs.

PKalltheway
12-15-2010, 06:47 PM
One game that unfortunately was left off their list was a September 2006 game between the Padres and Dodgers in L.A. Both teams were tied for first entering this particular game, and the Padres held a 9-5 lead into the bottom of the ninth, when the Dodgers hit four home runs in a row to tie the game. The Padres bounced back to take a 10-9 lead in the 10th, but in the bottom half of that inning, Nomar Garciaparra hit a game-winning, two-run homer for the Dodgers to win 11-10. I truly thought that was a game for the ages, and it was pennant-race baseball at its finest. :smile:

Woofer
12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
That is upsetting that there are so many Yankee, Red Sox and Cub games there but by and large I think MLB Network does a VERY good job of giving teams equal time and not just focusing solely on the Red Sox, Yankees or Cubs.

It might just be my Cubsession showing, but I find it very strange that only 4 games of the 50 listed happened during the regular season, and 3 of those games were just your average weird Cub game. I mean come on, the White Sox can't even get 1 game on this list? I could come up with dozens of great Sox games that I've been at myself.

downstairs
12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Just finished watching. Meh. Seems like they phoned it in. Yes, the Yankees have won a million pennants, so I accept them being on there as much as they were. But the Sandburg game? Come on.

And you're going to introduce crazy games like the 23-22 game (not sure if I got the score right there) then you need to look at games like the White Sox 25 inning game. Or just don't go there.

They spoke of context. Well, that puts the Podsednik Game 2 walk-off in there above quite a few others.

I don't know my way through every single game... but when I saw THAT MUCH Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets... I'm suspicious.

Oh well, at least we all agree that the greatest NFL game was last year's Super Bowl ;)

Madvora
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Game 2 of the 2005 World Series was not only one of the best because of the Podsednik game winning home run, but also the Konerko grand slam and top of the 9th come back by the Astros that also included a play at the plate. You couldn't ask for anything more.

RadioheadRocks
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Pods' should be up there based on shock value alone. :D:

TommyJohn
12-15-2010, 10:03 PM

That the Sox swept does not help that.

What about Game 4 of the 2005 World Series? A 1-0 game with the go ahead run scoring in the eighth? Pretty good game if you ask me.

Yes, but.........where was the drama, PEOPLE???????????????? This isn't the Yankees and Red Sox we're talking about here.

Count me out of this one. Yawn and yawn. And I agree on not understanding why the "Sandberg Game" gets such love. It was a regular season June game, for chrissakes. The 23-22 slugfest I can see.

If I were in charge of this, I would do it the way that they ran the "Geatest Player in Franchise History" vote. List great games on each team's website and ask the fans to vote on what they feel was the greatest game in team history. But I guess this is greatest MLB games.

RadioheadRocks
12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
And I agree on not understanding why the "Sandberg Game" gets such love. It was a regular season June game, for chrissakes. The 23-22 slugfest I can see.

IIRC this was an NBC Game of the Week, and it seemed to be the flashpoint in the Cubs' run in 1984.

TommyJohn
12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Oh well, at least we all agree that the greatest NFL game was last year's Super Bowl ;)Isn't every year's Super Bowl always the greatest NFL game ever played?????

DSpivack
12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Isn't every year's Super Bowl always the greatest NFL game ever played?????

No, most of them in the 90s sucked.

Woofer
12-16-2010, 08:56 AM
IIRC this was an NBC Game of the Week, and it seemed to be the flashpoint in the Cubs' run in 1984.

The game was in May of 1979, and was a week day game. It was on after school.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 09:36 AM

The Sandberg game was on NBC but not in Chicago - Saturday, June 23, 1984

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1984/B06230CHN1984.htm

The 1979 game was a weekday

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197905170CHN

SouthSideLove
12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Leave it to Bob Costas to infuse a little east coast bias into what could have been a phenomenal program. There were at least ten games for each decade that I could have hand picked that would have had more meaning than the ones selected for this show.

I am a big fan of MLB Network, don't get me wrong. But what did you expect with Costas and Tom Verducci of SI in the driver's seat? A complete inundantion of Yankees and Red Sox games that were snoozers. Very disappointing.

russ99
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm glad the 5th game of Mets Vs. Astros in 1986 made it, that was the best game I ever saw.

No excuse whatsoever for Sandberg, and how is the stupid Bartman game greater that the Pods walkoff game???

And if a guy touching a baseball in play is so exciting, where's the Yankees/Orioles game from 96?

Fenway
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Leave it to Bob Costas to infuse a little east coast bias into what could have been a phenomenal program. There were at least ten games for each decade that I could have hand picked that would have had more meaning than the ones selected for this show.

I am a big fan of MLB Network, don't get me wrong. But what did you expect with Costas and Tom Verducci of SI in the driver's seat? A complete inundantion of Yankees and Red Sox games that were snoozers. Very disappointing.

The NYY-Bos game that SHOULD be on the list is from 2004 regular season when Jeter dove into the stands for a ball. The game WAS a classic.

asindc
12-16-2010, 10:27 AM
The NYY-Bos game that SHOULD be on the list is from 2004 regular season when Jeter dove into the stands for a ball. The game WAS a classic.

Juan Uribe is on the phone. He wants to talk to you about what he did on Oct. 26, 2005.

DSpivack
12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Juan Uribe is on the phone. He wants to talk to you about what he did on Sept. 26, 2005.

:scratch:

When he went 0-3 in a 4-3 loss to the Tigers?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200509260.shtml

:tongue:

RadioheadRocks
12-16-2010, 04:47 PM

My response was to the poster's inquiry about the "Sandberg game", not the 23-22 game.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 06:22 PM
The Sandberg game had quite the umpiring crew -

HP - Doug Harvey, 1B - Joe West, 2B - Jerry Crawford, 3B - Bob Davidson

vinny
12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
The Sandberg game had quite the umpiring crew -

HP - Doug Harvey, 1B - Joe West, 2B - Jerry Crawford, 3B - Bob Davidson

They should have let Harvey cover the whole field and sent those other three clowns home.

TommyJohn
12-16-2010, 08:44 PM
The Sandberg game was on NBC but not in Chicago - Saturday, June 23, 1984

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1984/B06230CHN1984.htm

It most definitely WAS on in Chicago. I watched it!

TommyJohn
12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
No, most of them in the 90s sucked.I was referring to the breathless media blather we seem to get after every Super Bowl about how it was One of the Greatest Games of All Time.

Fenway
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
It most definitely WAS on in Chicago. I watched it!

But not the NBC feed - you saw it on WGN

NBC as a rule could not televise games in the home market back then -that is why you always had the A game and B game

Scully and Joe G were the A team
Costas and Kubek the B team

Woofer
12-16-2010, 09:03 PM
My response was to the poster's inquiry about the "Sandberg game", not the 23-22 game.

Sorry about the confusion. I reread your post after I posted and realized that.

TommyJohn
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
But not the NBC feed - you saw it on WGN

NBC as a rule could not televise games in the home market back then -that is why you always had the A game and B game

Scully and Joe G were the A team
Costas and Kubek the B teamI watched it on NBC. Costas and Kubek were the announcers, I remember Costas's home run call. It was most definitely on NBC. The White Sox were on Game of the Week in 1984 as well.

ChicagoG19
12-17-2010, 08:42 AM
By far the best game I have ever attended in my life, in any sport. That includes the 2005 playoffs.

I feel the same way.

Fenway
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I watched it on NBC. Costas and Kubek were the announcers, I remember Costas's home run call. It was most definitely on NBC. The White Sox were on Game of the Week in 1984 as well.

I will have to research when NBC was allowed into a home market...

I remember one afternoon NBC was supposed to televise White Sox at Boston on WMAQ but there was a rain delay and NBC went to the other game and even though the game in Boston finally started NBC never went back. Costas just gave a couple of updates.

Back in the 70's I was working summer relief at WBZ-TV which was then NBC in Boston. Baltimore-Red Sox was the Monday Night Game but we could not carry it and the network sent us a game at Houston.

The game in Houston finished in about 2 hours and Jim Simpson said good night...we called NBC Broadcast Operations in NY and asked if can we go to Fenway and were told NO. ( The game was not being televised locally by WSBK ) so...we found something to fill the 60 minutes to the 11 PM news.

Now it is 11:25 PM and we look up at the NBC monitor and the Red Sox are still playing...so we call NY again asking for a seperate feed for Carson. NBC says no again.

Somebody in projection said they found 30 minutes of fill and we put it on the air....

turned out to be the second reel of a Tarzan movie.....

Westinghouse who owned WBZ read the riot act to NBC the next morning and from then on the home market could pick up the end of the A feed.

Oblong
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I finally watched it last night. Definately some head scratchers. I could do without more than one game from a particular series. The ones that jump out at me as not being worthy:

Twins @ Yankees in 2009 ALDS.... I didn't even remember it a year later. What's so special about this? How many other playoff series have big homers late in the game?
Blue Jays @ Phillies in 1993 WS where they scored six in the 8th.
Cardinals @ Cubs in 1984 Sandberg homering twice.
Yankees @ Royals in 1977 ALCS

I just didn't see anything that special about these games that we haven't seen lots of other games.

The "Bartman" game to me isn't notable for Bartman. That's just the tip of hte iceberg.

Chez
12-17-2010, 03:04 PM
by far the best game i have ever attended in my life, in any sport. That includes the 2005 playoffs.

+1.

downstairs
12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Pods' should be up there based on shock value alone. :D:

Exactly. That's why Ozzie Smith's WS home run was up there. Yeah, Smith is a much better player, and hadn't hit a HR in like 1,500 chances... but still the Pods game in 2005 was a better *game* and Costas went to great lengths to explain that they were focusing hard-core on the game, not the individuals.