PDA

View Full Version : Contingency plan

A. Cavatica
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
While it is nice to have Dunn on board, I'm not convinced that this team was just a DH away from contending. We don't know what we're going to get from 3 starting pitchers and 4-5 regulars, we don't have a closer, and our manager isn't getting any smarter.

So let's say the first half doesn't go well. (Think 2010 without the miraculous hot streak.) It'll be time to think about the future.

Who would you NOT make available at the deadline?

Here's my list: Sale, Beckham.
Quentin, Rios, Ramirez, Floyd, Danks, & Thornton could all be had for the right price.

The first half had better go well, or we won't recognize this team in August...

DumpJerry
12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I can't remember the last time you had anything good to say about Ozzie.

soltrain21
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Can we, um, not talk about this RIGHT now?

A. Cavatica
12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I can't remember the last time you had anything good to say about Ozzie.

When was the last time he won a game with a managerial move?

Daver
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
While it is nice to have Dunn on board, I'm not convinced that this team was just a DH away from contending. We don't know what we're going to get from 3 starting pitchers and 4-5 regulars, we don't have a closer, and our manager isn't getting any smarter.

So let's say the first half doesn't go well. (Think 2010 without the miraculous hot streak.) It'll be time to think about the future.

Quentin, Rios, Ramirez, Floyd, Danks, & Thornton could all be had for the right price.

Today is December 14th, spring training is still two months away, and you are bringing this up now?

Why not wait until at least the non roster invitees are announced?

Brian26
12-14-2010, 08:21 PM
While it is nice to have Dunn on board, I'm not convinced that this team was just a DH away from contending. We don't know what we're going to get from 3 starting pitchers and 4-5 regulars

Actually, we don't know what we're going to get from anybody. No team does. However, there's reason for optimism. On paper, this team looks solid except for the very back end of the bullpen.

SOXfnNlansing
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Every December 99.9% of cub fans think they will win the WS the following season. On here it seems like 25% think the Sox will get off to a slow start and have to dump players in July :scratch:

spawn
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/105611/thumbs/s-SETH-AND-AMY-large.jpg

You're gonna start your dark cloud posts this early? Really? Really?

soxfanatlanta
12-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Wow. I thought I was a pessimist.

JermaineDye05
12-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Off the top of my head...

September 22nd in Oakland last year.

Sox were down 3-2 in the 9th with two outs and a man on second. He pinch hit Kotsay who tied the game with a single. Ozzie then pinch ran Beckham for Kotsay and pinch hit Teahen for Brent Morel. Teahen hit the game winning double.

soltrain21
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Sox were down 3-2 in the 9th with two outs and a man on second. He pinch hit Kotsay who tied the game with a single. Ozzie then pinch ran Beckham for Kotsay and pinch hit Teahen for Brent Morel. Teahen hit the game winning double.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/whuddupsquaz/storm-trooper-pelvic-thrust.gif

A. Cavatica
12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Actually, we don't know what we're going to get from anybody. No team does. However, there's reason for optimism. On paper, this team looks solid except for the very back end of the bullpen.

Yes, it does. But the title of the thread is "contingency plan". With some posters over in WTS eager to trade a starter to the Yankees, I think it's important for the Sox to hold onto them now, but keep the Yankees on speed dial if things don't go as planned.

russ99
12-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Well I was going to post a snide remark about 10.3.2010, but that's response is soo much better. :cool:

Anyway, it's possible things could go poorly next year, and the result would be Ozzie and Kenny would be fired. Then we'd have a bad team for a few years, but who wants that?

2011 is a new season, everyone's buried the hatchet for the most part and we shored up the biggest hole of last season, which was DH.

I'd like to think that our lineup with a full season of Morel, Beckham out of his slump, Quentin having a relatively healthy season and our best starting staff in 5 years (with or without Peavy) we have a heck of a chance to make up those 6 games on the Twins and also make up the few more we'd need to beat them in 2011 with a healthy Moreau and Nathan.

If anything, we should be cautiously optimistic about the Sox chances and see how they do for the first month before wondering about who's going to get dumped.

A. Cavatica
12-14-2010, 08:58 PM

And on 9/22, I gave credit where credit is due.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2626250&highlight=Ozzie#post2626250

Bobby Thigpen
12-14-2010, 09:04 PM

You must be on crack.

Ozzie's the worst manager ever.

The White Sox won a World Series despite him.

If the Sox had someone besides Ozzie, they would've won the last 6 World Series running!

:rolleyes:

spawn
12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
You must be on crack.

Ozzie's the worst manager ever.

The White Sox won a World Series despite him.

If the Sox had someone besides Ozzie, they would've won the last 6 World Series running!

:rolleyes:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_r3aauv06yaU/SdwfUPC0igI/AAAAAAAAASY/bRijVAaAvvQ/s400/superfans.jpg

A minimum 8-peat my friend!

dickallen15
12-14-2010, 09:12 PM

KC is going to suck. Cleveland is going to suck. Minnesota and Detroit each have about half a team right now. If spring training started tomorrow, and as its been pointed out, its over 2 months away, the White Sox currently are sitting pretty. I think even you would have to admit that.

DumpJerry
12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

I just canceled my season tickets.

spawn
12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm never going to another game.

kittle42
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I would suggest merging this thread with a thread at the Red Sox fan site talking about how Carl Crawford could be a bust, Dustin Pedroia is headed for career-ending injury, Josh Beckett's ERA will be over 7.00, and Jonathan Papelbon is going on a season-long journey to Tibet to find his chi.

asindc
12-14-2010, 09:21 PM
KC is going to suck. Cleveland is going to suck. Minnesota and Detroit each have about half a team right now. If spring training started tomorrow, and as its been pointed out, its over 2 months away, the White Sox currently are sitting pretty. I think even you would have to admit that.

If spring training started tomorrow, almost everyone in baseball would be shocked.:smile:

Seriously, though, I'm feeling better at this point as a Sox fan than I would be if I was a Detroit or Twinkee fan. Both of them are looking for at least one starter and have similar bullpen issues that we have. Detroit is counting on being able to re-sign Maggs and the Twinkees have Alexi Casilla as their starting SS. Joe Nathan is 36 coming off a severe injury. I'm liking the fact that the Sox' only hole to fill is the easiest one to fill.

DumpJerry
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
If spring training started tomorrow, almost everyone in baseball would be shocked.:smile:
If Spring Training started tomorrow, I'm running to the doctor because I just lost two months of my life.

SouthSideLove
12-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, there are a lot of pessimists out there. While Ozzie is no Torre, Madden, or La Russa, he is better than 25 other MLB managers. He's won a World Series within the last decade, and has a .529 winning percentage as manager since 2004. I'll take it.

Yes, the Sox have some areas to improve, notably the bullpen. However, like others have said, we need to be patient and reserve judgment until Spring Training. Odds are Kenny isn't done wheeling and dealing, and even if he is there will be some young guns coming up the ranks who will be of service.

We got rid of Jenks (head case), LinkSTINK, and essentially replaced Kotsay with Adam Dunn. We have a young infield, and our arrow is pointed up in a division that is aging. My money is on the Sox. Trust me, we're doing better than most teams out there this offseason.

Frater Perdurabo
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm never going to another game.

I just burned my Sox gear and slit my wrists.

spawn
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I just burned my Sox gear and slit my wrists.
I just bought Cubs season tickets.

:duck:

Zisk77
12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Why the hell are people so eager to rebuild (suck). Cavatica are you secretly Jerry Krause?!:o:

asindc
12-14-2010, 09:46 PM

I just became a Boston f... oh hell, I can't type it, even in jest.

MARTINMVP
12-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Perhaps, after a few of :gulp::gulp::gulp:

Taliesinrk
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM

too far.

soxlady8
12-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I know we need Bullpen help , but we are in better shape
than alot more TEAMS for this upcoming season --

glass is half FULL !

parlaycard
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM

I think the Phillies expect to have some pretty good pitching.

Ranger
12-15-2010, 03:42 AM

What does that even mean? This isn't football.

Ah, reason.

asindc
12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I think the Phillies expect to have some pretty good pitching.

We also expect to have some pretty good pitching. So does Boston. So does SF. So does St. Louis. The question is, however, do you know for certain that any team will? In other words, would you bet your next paycheck that Roy Oswalt makes it through the season without a significant injury?

parlaycard
12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
We also expect to have some pretty good pitching. So does Boston. So does SF. So does St. Louis. The question is, however, do you know for certain that any team will? In other words, would you bet your next paycheck that Roy Oswalt makes it through the season without a significant injury?

I would bet more than my next paycheck that the Phillies have good pitching.

Roy Oswalt could get shot dead tomorrow and the Phillies still have the best pitching staff in baseball.

spawn
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Roy Oswalt could get shot dead tomorrow and the Phillies still have the best pitching staff in baseball.

The Giants have a pretty strong rotation themselves.

asindc
12-15-2010, 10:28 AM

I agree with everything you stated in bold but none of it is a certainty. By the way, some Philly fans are concerned with Rollins' two-year long slump, Utley's frequent injuries, Howard's steady decline in production, their bullpen, and how they are going to replace Werth's production. Yet, they are optimistic about the season. I don't see any reason why we can't be optimistic.*

*This statement is not meant as an invitation to accuse me of saying the Sox are as good on paper as Philly, or that we are more or less likely to fill our remaining holes than they are.**

**I would like to think that the above disclaimer was already understood without having to state it, but of that I am much less confident in that than the Sox' chances in 2011. By the way, none of this is directed at you personally, parlaycard.

parlaycard
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree with everything you stated in bold but none of it is a certainty. By the way, some Philly fans are concerned with Rollins' two-year long slump, Utley's frequent injuries, Howard's steady decline in production, their bullpen, and how they are going to replace Werth's production. Yet, they are optimistic about the season. I don't see any reason why we can't be optimistic.*

*This statement is not meant as an invitation to accuse me of saying the Sox are as good on paper as Philly, or that we are more or less likely to fill our remaining holes than they are.**

**I would like to think that the above disclaimer was already understood without having to state it, but of that I am much less confident in that than the Sox' chances in 2011. By the way, none of this is directed at you personally, parlaycard.

When your rotation is Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hammels and Roy Oswalt.

You could have the CUbs lineup and still win it all.

You won't need to score many runs to win ball games.

Jimmy Rollins will not hinder their chances.

asindc
12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
When your rotation is Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hammels and Roy Oswalt.

You could have the CUbs lineup and still win it all.

You won't need to score many runs to win ball games.

Jimmy Rollins will not hinder their chances.

Yes, you (meaning Philly with its rotation and the Cubs lineup) could win it all. No argument here. No argument about the strength of their rotation. No argument about Philly still having good pitching even if they lose Oswalt. No argument about Philly expecting pretty good pitching at all. But the question is, once again, do we know for sure that they will get good pitching this year?

Stoky44
12-15-2010, 12:01 PM
What do you think the parade route is going to be next year after winning the WS. Also will the Sox be known as Chicago's best team after winning the next 5 WS in a row? How awesome is it going to be having Baseball's best power hitter ever and homerun king in Dunn. When do you see Dunn hitting his 80 HR this year. I am so pumped to have a 30 game winner on the south side too, I can't believe Buehrle finally broke the 20 game mark, but wow was I surprised to see him with 30 wins.

Hey if we are going to have a ridiculous plan about how to dump this team and trade away talent in December (after clearly making moves to add to the team) I figured I would go in the other direction.

downstairs
12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree the original post is a bit cynical, but its fair to say our relief/closer situations need to be addressed.

Beyond that I like the team as-is.

Ranger
12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree the original post is a bit cynical, but its fair to say our relief/closer situations need to be addressed.

I'm pretty sure everyone has been acknowledging that since the winter meetings. Everyone including the team.

kittle42
12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone has been acknowledging that since the winter meetings. Everyone including the team.

But we so need to be reminded every time we get happy about something, obviously!

delben91
12-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Yes, but is that a reason to be planning for a white-flag-like dismantling next summer before we even get to spring training?

A bullpen in need of a couple of arms in December does not equate to a failed season.

tstrike2000
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, there are a lot of pessimists out there. While Ozzie is no Torre, Madden, or La Russa, he is better than 25 other MLB managers. He's won a World Series within the last decade, and has a .529 winning percentage as manager since 2004. I'll take it.

I'm not gonna follow in any Ozzie bashing, but let's not overdo it.

DumpJerry
12-15-2010, 06:57 PM
There are fans and front office employees of thirty MLB teams who would say this and they are all correct.

If my GM spent the early part of the free agency season (November-Winter Meetings) signing bullpen pitchers, I would go on strike and not go to any games. Why do you think most of the relievers who are free agents are unsigned? Because they are failures who are almost always a risky signing (otherwise, their teams would give them extensions).

To worry about your team's bullpen before March 25th is not worth the loss of sleep and appetite.

sullythered
12-15-2010, 07:04 PM
There are fans and front office employees of thirty MLB teams who would say this and they are all correct.

If my GM spent the early part of the free agency season (November-Winter Meetings) signing bullpen pitchers, I would go on strike and not go to any games. Why do you think most of the relievers who are free agents are unsigned? Because they are failures who are almost always a risky signing (otherwise, their teams would give them extensions).

To worry about your team's bullpen before March 25th is not worth the loss of sleep and appetite.

Exactly. Bullpen pitchers are an absolute crapshoot, and throwing money at them is usually bad business (see; Linebrink, Scott). You just don't know what you're gonna get year to year with anybody but Mariano. If there is an area of the team that I'm comfortable taking a shot on unproven players and picking up cheap options, it's the pen. Very happy we addressed other issues first.

Ranger
12-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Exactly. Bullpen pitchers are an absolute crapshoot, and throwing money at them is usually bad business (see; Linebrink, Scott). You just don't know what you're gonna get year to year with anybody but Mariano. If there is an area of the team that I'm comfortable taking a shot on unproven players and picking up cheap options, it's the pen. Very happy we addressed other issues first.

I'm sure I've written this here a number of times, but I don't think ALL relievers are crapshoots, though I do think the majority are. I estimate the percentage of uncertainty on 60-70% of all relievers. Aside from the best setup men and closers in teh game, you really don't know what you'll get from most of these guys.

sullythered
12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm sure I've written this here a number of times, but I don't think ALL relievers are crapshoots, though I do think the majority are. I estimate the percentage of uncertainty on 60-70% of all relievers. Aside from the best setup men and closers in teh game, you really don't know what you'll get from most of these guys.

That's probably a pretty close estimate, but even so, that's a WAY bigger percentage of "who know's what you're gonna get" type players than position players or starting pitchers. My assertion that the other stuff should be addressed first still stands. I like how we have attacked this offseason so far.

SI1020
12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
KW looks to me like he's in one of his aggressive modes. Let's see how it all shakes down before we get too high or low on the 2011 White Sox. I'm hardly an optimist by nature, yet I say so far so good.

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
A bullpen in need of a couple of arms in December does not equate to a failed season.

Yes it does! Yes it does!

Now, let me excuse myself to change my panties. I just tinkled in them.

:)

soltrain21
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Alright. What can we get for Crain?

SouthSideLove
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm not gonna follow in any Ozzie bashing, but let's not overdo it.

Look at the numbers...529 winning percentage since 2004. 600 managerial wins in 7 years. That's 85 wins in a season, which in this division has been competitive during this past decade. I challenge you to find other managers in the entire league, with the same tenure as Ozzie, who have done better.

Rohan
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Possibly one of the most pointless threads of the year.

A. Cavatica
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Just about everyone who posted in this thread owes me an apology.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Don't hurt yourself patting your own back.

SI1020
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM
The OP did get piled on pretty badly.

soltrain21
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM

Have a cookie with "nobody cares" sprinkles on it.

DumpJerry
05-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Nope.
:welcome:

cws05champ
05-06-2011, 11:29 PM

Uhh...Thanks for being right?? I guess... we're horrible, but congratulations on all your success, you smell terrific.

Daver
05-06-2011, 11:38 PM

No, I don't.

chaotic8512
05-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Uhh...Thanks for being right?? I guess... we're horrible, but congratulations on all your success, you smell terrific.

Thanks, now I have the "if I had been drinking out of the toilet, I might have been killed" quote stuck in my head. :D:

ma-gaga
05-07-2011, 12:27 AM

aaaand, what do you owe the rest of us?

DumpJerry
05-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Seeing as it is you who jinxed the team, I think you are the who owes an apology and then some.:angry:

Bucky F. Dent
05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Seeing as it is you who jinxed the team, I think you are the who owes an apology and then some.:angry:

Well turned, sir.

SI1020
05-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Funny comment by DJ, as he often does. That being said the original poster only stated what if, not that the Sox definitely would tank. People got mad at him for even suggesting the possibility of a bad start. Now that the Sox have exceeded even the worst pessimists predictions he catches hell again. It's kind of funny when you read all the vitriol in the Sox Clubhouse directed at everyone from JR on down to the hot dog vendor. I'm reminded of the old biblical quote about a prophet not being without honor except among his own people. You know some smart businesses have people whose job is to anticipate worst case scenarios and to design fall back plans just in case. I wonder if their coworkers give them as hard a time as A. Cavatica is getting here.

DumpJerry
05-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Funny comment by DJ, as he often does. That being said the original poster only stated what if, not that the Sox definitely would tank. People got mad at him for even suggesting the possibility of a bad start. Now that the Sox have exceeded even the worst pessimists predictions he catches hell again. It's kind of funny when you read all the vitriol in the Sox Clubhouse directed at everyone from JR on down to the hot dog vendor. I'm reminded of the old biblical quote about a prophet not being without honor except among his own people. You know some smart businesses have people whose job is to anticipate worst case scenarios and to design fall back plans just in case. I wonder if their coworkers give them as hard a time as A. Cavatica is getting here.
He revived a thread from almost six months ago to draw attention to his comment. I'm sure nobody remembered this thread existed until he revived it.

Scottiehaswheels
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Gotta love hubris.

A. Cavatica
05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
He revived a thread from almost six months ago to draw attention to his comment. I'm sure nobody remembered this thread existed until he revived it.

Actually, in another thread someone posted "I cannot imagine that anyone could have imagined this fiasco" and that's why I revived the thread. It is the GM's job to have imagined this fiasco, and if I could have, then so could he.

I happen to believe JR and KW knew that they were taking one last, big gamble -- hence the slogan "all in". I think they knew the gamble might fail. I think there is a contingency plan -- KW and Ozzie ride off into the sunset, accompanied by a fire sale -- and JR is just trying to figure out when the plan kicks in.

ShooterMcGavin
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM

I like your style.

GlassSox
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Actually, in another thread someone posted "I cannot imagine that anyone could have imagined this fiasco" and that's why I revived the thread. It is the GM's job to have imagined this fiasco, and if I could have, then so could he.

I happen to believe JR and KW knew that they were taking one last, big gamble -- hence the slogan "all in". I think they knew the gamble might fail. I think there is a contingency plan -- KW and Ozzie ride off into the sunset, accompanied by a fire sale -- and JR is just trying to figure out when the plan kicks in.

My bad, so sorry to punish everyone for being the "someone" who caused this thread to be revived. JR is so stupid to spend all this money for something that was sure to fail.

kufram
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM

The original poster's original post was spewed upon at the time. I might have even done a bit of spewing myself although I don't remember it. I do remember thinking that a dh is not a silver bullet, though. You are to be commended for foreseeing the apocalypse, but to think apologies would be forthcoming is to fail to understand wsi-land.

Golden Sox
05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
The White Sox will add to their team at the trading deadline and then go on to the Playoffs and win another World Championship. There will be dancing in the streets on the great South Side of Chicago this October.