PDA

View Full Version : Metrodome...

shingo10
12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Somewhere, Hawk Harrelson is celebrating the fact that part of the Twinkie Dome has collapsed. This was his fantasy the last 7 years the Sox played there.

Too bad the Sox didn't get off on the right foot at Target Field either. Oh well, this year will be different. Go Sox!

SOX ADDICT '73
12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Somewhere, Hawk Harrelson is celebrating the fact that part of the Twinkie Dome has collapsed. This was his fantasy the last 7 years the Sox played there.

Too bad the Sox didn't get off on the right foot at Target Field either. Oh well, this year will be different. Go Sox!
This is like finding out that the guy who used to beat you up in high school just got hit by a bus.

Fox just showed some beautiful footage of the roof collapsing from inside the stadium. Looks like their security cameras film in HD!

Patrick134
12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Everytime a horrible multi-purpose lame excuse for a baseball stadium collapses, an angel gets its wings.

BleacherBandit
12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
The snow was really coming down the past two days here. I woke up and all of the buzz was centered around how the Metrodome was done for the rest of the Vikings' season. Bwahahahaha.

chisoxfanatic
12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
The snow was really coming down the past two days here. I woke up and all of the buzz was centered around how the Metrodome was done for the rest of the Vikings' season. Bwahahahaha.
Do they think it will be ready for next Monday's Bears game?

I'd really love to hear what Hawk has to say about this...They should get him on CTL tomorrow!

Whappeh
12-12-2010, 03:21 PM

I'd really love to hear what Hawk has to say about this...They should get him on CTL tomorrow!

I don't see how it could even remotely be ready in one week.

downstairs
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM

As long as the snow is gone, it looks easy to stitch up. Its not like the snow that leaked in did any damage internally. The roof is a freaking plastic bag... some duct tape should fix it up fine ;)

DumpJerry
12-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Early on during its Reign of Terror, the Dome collapsed during a Twins/Angels game. A microbust during a heavy thunderstorm came straight down on it and popped the one-way vents cause the air to escape. They did an immediate evacuation of the stadium and the Twins forfeited the Angels. My girlfriend was at the game and said it scared the **** out of everyone since the sky really was falling (not to mention the speakers which weigh several tons each were swaying back and forth).

The Twins played a game the next night at the Dome.

downstairs
12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Early on during its Reign of Terror, the Dome collapsed during a Twins/Angels game. A microbust during a heavy thunderstorm came straight down on it and popped the one-way vents cause the air to escape. They did an immediate evacuation of the stadium and the Twins forfeited the Angels. My girlfriend was at the game and said it scared the **** out of everyone since the sky really was falling (not to mention the speakers which weigh several tons each were swaying back and forth).

Are you sure they forfeited? I'm not able to look it up, but a few months ago I looked up a list of all games that have been forfeited in baseball's modern era, and that doesn't ring a bell.

How is that situation any different than any old rain storm. Just play it another day. Forfeits (in modern times) seem reserved for times when the team "diserves" it, so to speak. Generally when fans get out of control. Its more of a punishment.

MisterB
12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Are you sure they forfeited? I'm not able to look it up, but a few months ago I looked up a list of all games that have been forfeited in baseball's modern era, and that doesn't ring a bell.

How is that situation any different than any old rain storm. Just play it another day. Forfeits (in modern times) seem reserved for times when the team "diserves" it, so to speak. Generally when fans get out of control. Its more of a punishment.

It was on April 14, 1983 and it wasn't a forfeit. The collapse happened before the game started and it was postponed and made up in a doubleheader on August 1st.

DumpJerry
12-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, it was a long time ago, so my memory of how it was handled by MLB is rusty.

However, it is a similar situation to today in that the roof had to be repaired and ready the next day. They did play the 4/15/83 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN198304150.shtml) game.

Another time the snow caused the roof to go bye-bye was during the first winter it existed. A wet, heavy snow fell (one of those spring snows that is high moisture) and they realized that, despite being in MINNESOTA, there was no snow removal system or plan for the roof! They sent a guy up in a Bobcat front-end loader to push the snow off. Well, the Bobcat's blade caught a seam and tore it cause the air to escape and the roof to deflate. They had to rescue the Bobcat guy before he fell a few hundred feet and then the Bobcat. They went to the drawing board to come up with a way to remove snow and came up with a plan......a bunch of employees with very, very long handled-squeegees stood on the side walk and pulled the snow off. High tech.

C-Dawg
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Right now would be a good time to fire up some bulldozers and knock down the rest of the place. It would make a good parking lot!

DumpJerry
12-12-2010, 09:01 PM
:hawk
Today should be a national holiday.

This is the second best day of my life after the first time I met Carl Yaztrzemski. Did I mention I used to play baseball with Yaz? Yeah, it's true.

Jacob Nelson Fox
12-12-2010, 09:15 PM

I remember the incident you described happened sometime when I lived in St. Paul, which was April 1984 to September 1994. Was the April 1983 collapse snow related? This incident was a thunderstorm. I remember the film of those giant speakers swinging to and fro :o:

doublem23
12-12-2010, 09:44 PM

The last time the roof collapsed, it was in use in 4 days.

Its why the Metrodome has its trademark "baggy" to begin with. It's Teflon held up by air pressure, maybe not the sturdiest material in the world, but very easy and inexpensive to repair. I have no doubt if the Vikings were in the race for the division and next week's game with the Bears really meant something, they'd have that place ready to go.

DumpJerry
12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
The last time the roof collapsed, it was in use in 4 days.

Its why the Metrodome has its trademark "baggy" to begin with. It's Teflon held up by air pressure, maybe not the sturdiest material in the world, but very easy and inexpensive to repair. I have no doubt if the Vikings were in the race for the division and next week's game with the Bears really meant something, they'd have that place ready to go.
I'm thinking the Vikes are losing several million bucks in revenue by not having the game at home this week. The stands at Ford Field tomorrow will be full of Detroit people who will be allowed in for free. I'm sure the Lions (or whomever owns Ford Field) are getting some "consideration" for use of the stadium. Then there is all the lost wages of the people who gameday at and around the Dome.

They're going to make sure they don't lose out on two home gates, that would be 25% of the regular season down the financial drain.

C-Dawg
12-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm thinking the Vikes are losing several million bucks in revenue by not having the game at home this week. The stands at Ford Field tomorrow will be full of Detroit people who will be allowed in for free.

They were talking about it on CNN, and someone asked the reporter what should fans do if they have tickets. The answer was, if you've got a flight to Minneapolis, you should call your airline and get the flight changed to Detroit.

I guess they forgot most of the people holding tickets aren't actually from NY...

ewokpelts
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
the lions are proably getting the parking gate(nfl didnt say it was free parking) and any concessions (minus the last minute overtime for the workers). and it'll probably help a future super bowl bib to see the facility rush back into service asap. while a blizzard was hitting detroit.

12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
This might have been covered but is the hole and tears in the middle of the Teflon roof different from past times when it has just deflated?

Nellie_Fox
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I guess they forgot most of the people holding tickets aren't actually from NY...Pfft. Midwesterners. Who cares?

C-Dawg
12-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Pfft. Midwesterners. Who cares?

We're just "flyover territory" to those East Coasters...

AzureJazzMan
12-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I cannot believe that no one has posted the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uscBJn0p0

Fenway
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Somebody at FOX was thinking

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-12-12-metrodome-roof-fox-sports_N.htm

Nellie_Fox
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I cannot believe that no one has posted the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uscBJn0p0It's in another thread.