PDA

View Full Version : Over the Years, What Has Been The Best SOX Catch Phrase

Red Barchetta
12-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm working on a project with my son and I'm curious what the most well know SOX catch phrase or marketing campaign is the most well known.

I'm Thinking "The South Side Hit Men". I'm also considering "Good Guys Wear Black", however I would like one that is more timeless and represents the White Sox.

Thanks!

parlaycard
12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm working on a project with my son and I'm curious what the most well know SOX catch phrase or marketing campaign is the most well known.

I'm Thinking "The South Side Hit Men". I'm also considering "Good Guys Wear Black", however I would like one that is more timeless and represents the White Sox.

Thanks!

He Gone

thomas35forever
12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Win or Die Trying. We did win the whole thing with it after all.

NardiWasHere
12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
It's Time.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Win or Die Trying. We did win the whole thing with it after all.
Have to agree, though GGWB will always be one of my favorites. I had a Harley Davidson t-shirt with that phrase on it back in the late '80s. Little did I know...

Red Barchetta
12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I'm looking for the catch phrase that is pretty universal and would be know outside of Chicago.

The project that I am working on with my son is for a school project about his favorite sports team. We live near Sarasota, FL. so I want to use something that helps define the White Sox.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I'm looking for the catch phrase that is pretty universal and would be know outside of Chicago.

The project that I am working on with my son is for a school project about his favorite sports team. We live near Sarasota, FL. so I want to use something that helps define the White Sox.
A White Sox catch phrase universally known outside of Chicago? I hope your son is getting extra credit points for degree of difficulty!

Red Barchetta
12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
A White Sox catch phrase universally known outside of Chicago? I hope your son is getting extra credit points for degree of difficulty!

Exactly! Last year one of his classmates listed the Cubs. "Holy Cow" was the catch phrase and most of the kids/parents recognized it. One of the winners was a "Florida Gators" display (for obvious reasons), however I'm trying to work on the originality angle as the judges base the grade and awards on how original each child's display is and what media they use for the display.

I know it's going to be tough, however it's pretty open in terms of what we can and cannot do for the project. We're thinking about adding the "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" song by Steam as part of the display.

WhiteSox5187
12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I think I like "South Side Hitmen" the most because that was a phrase that was just concocted by someone in the media or the fans, there was no massive research study with thousands of dollars spent researching it. That and Winning Ugly were just sort of used and became popular almost over night and perfectly described those teams. Win or Die Trying was very good though.

gr8mexico
12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Black Sox!

TDog
12-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks!

A lot of people believed the South Side Hit Men tag limited the representation of the team. While the Cubs were a Chicago team, the White Sox were a Southside-of-Chicago team. Of course, it only applied in 1977, when the Sox actually hit well. In 1976 and 1978 they fielded miserable offensive teams. The White Sox were shut out twice in September 1977 (not before that all season) when they played really bad baseball, so apparently South Side Hit Men only applied for a few months in the '70s,

Catch phrases often are different from marketing campaigns, of course. The best catch phrases develop or are adopted by players and/or fans. Win or Die Trying was a marketing campaign, and it worked because the White Sox won. Winning Ugly was a comment by a rival manager that was adopted. Winning helps make a marketing catch phrase work. Not winning almost guarantees that it won't.

In 2010, the Giants catch phrase was Torture because that's how one of their announcers described what fans were being put through with so many one-run especially 1-0 games. Fans and the media picked up on it. The official marketing campaign was There's Magic Inside as the street banners hanging from the street lights on The Embarcadaro proclaimed in orange and black. And while it was a magical season, fans will remember torture.

The all-time worst White Sox marketing campaign was It's Time. It's time they start winning, I heard someone say leaving the park in 2001. Angry Young Men applied to the 1970 Sox. You'd be angry too if you lost all the time.

Most marketing campaigns usually end up sounding silly.

Red Barchetta
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
A lot of people believed the South Side Hit Men tag limited the representation of the team. While the Cubs were a Chicago team, the White Sox were a Southside-of-Chicago team. Of course, it only applied in 1977, when the Sox actually hit well. In 1976 and 1978 they fielded miserable offensive teams. The White Sox were shut out twice in September 1977 (not before that all season) when they played really bad baseball, so apparently South Side Hit Men only applied for a few months in the '70s,

Catch phrases often are different from marketing campaigns, of course. The best catch phrases develop or are adopted by players and/or fans. Win or Die Trying was a marketing campaign, and it worked because the White Sox won. Winning Ugly was a comment by a rival manager that was adopted. Winning helps make a marketing catch phrase work. Not winning almost guarantees that it won't.

In 2010, the Giants catch phrase was Torture because that's how one of their announcers described what fans were being put through with so many one-run especially 1-0 games. Fans and the media picked up on it. The official marketing campaign was There's Magic Inside as the street banners hanging from the street lights on The Embarcadaro proclaimed in orange and black. And while it was a magical season, fans will remember torture.

The all-time worst White Sox marketing campaign was It's Time. It's time they start winning, I heard someone say leaving the park in 2001. Angry Young Men applied to the 1970 Sox. You'd be angry too if you lost all the time.

Most marketing campaigns usually end up sounding silly.

I agree. That's why I'd like to stick with something that was born out of the fanbase vs. a marketing campaign and something that has had longevity.

For example, the "Winning Ugly" catch phrase to me only represents the 1983 season. Same with "It's Time" which I agree was a pretty silly marketing campaign.

Even to the casual baseball fan, the White Sox are more closely associated with the South Side of Chicago. This was evident in the World Series of 2005 both with the Sports Illustrated articles as well as the broadcast representation. Right or wrong, compared to the Cubs, the White Sox have a blue collar/South Side of Chicago image.

Whenever I mention I'm from Chicago, most people say, "Oh Cubs fan", which I immediately correct!

SOX ADDICT '73
12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Exactly! Last year one of his classmates listed the Cubs. "Holy Cow" was the catch phrase and most of the kids/parents recognized it. One of the winners was a "Florida Gators" display (for obvious reasons), however I'm trying to work on the originality angle as the judges base the grade and awards on how original each child's display is and what media they use for the display.

I know it's going to be tough, however it's pretty open in terms of what we can and cannot do for the project. We're thinking about adding the "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" song by Steam as part of the display.
I don't know how well known outside of Chicago the Hawk-isms "He Gone", "Grab Some Bench", and "You Can Put It on the Boooooard, YES!" are, but they'd be in the same category of Harry's "Holy Cow", wouldn't they? Not in terms of notoriety, of course, but in the sense that they're neither marketing campaigns nor slogans, but true catch-phrases.

If you're looking for a song tie-in, what about "Don't Stop Believin'"? You might even get Steve Perry himself to show up for the presentation!

parlaycard
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't know how well known outside of Chicago the Hawk-isms "He Gone", "Grab Some Bench", and "You Can Put It on the Boooooard, YES!" are, but they'd be in the same category of Harry's "Holy Cow", wouldn't they? Not in terms of notoriety, of course, but in the sense that they're neither marketing campaigns nor slogans, but true catch-phrases.

If you're looking for a song tie-in, what about "Don't Stop Believin'"? You might even get Steve Perry himself to show up for the presentation!

The Tigers used that when they went to the World Series as well

CHISOXFAN13
12-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Loved "Win or Die Trying."

MeteorsSox4367
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I've always been partial to "2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.":D:

Winning Ugly was cool as was Win or Die Trying.

Has anyone mentioned The Hawk Wants You?

LITTLE NELL
12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
From the late 60s; "THE SOX WILL RISE AGAIN".

Bobby Thigpen
12-11-2010, 07:36 PM
My favorite Sox phrases-
1. Win or Die Trying
2. Good Guys Wear Black- IIRC other teams like the Raiders adopted this as well
3. South Side Hitmen
4. The Kids Can Play
5. Winning Ugly

pearso66
12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
My favorite was always Good Guys Wear Black. Although if you want to go for well known, I'd go for "You can put it on the board, YES!!". It is a Hawkism but "Holy Cow" is from Harry Carray.

soxnut1018
12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Don't stop now, boys!

DonnieDarko
12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Good Guys Wear Black and Win or Die Trying are my favorites.

slavko
12-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Remember Pearl Harbor.....naagh.

Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.....naagh.

Go-Go Sox.....before your time.

But not before mine.

Lamp81
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
1984 - Let's Do It Again
2006 - Again

Unfortunately, the Sox didn't come through either year.

LongLiveFisk
12-11-2010, 11:50 PM
1984 - Let's Do It Again
2006 - Again

Unfortunately, the Sox didn't come through either year.

:welcome:

I guess the Sox should probably lay that one to rest then.

gobears1987
12-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Win or die trying will always have a special place in my heart.

doublem23
12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Win or die trying will always have a special place in my heart.

For sure, but my favorite all time will probably always be "Good Guys Wear Black."

Most baddest assed marketing campaign ever.

MARTINMVP
12-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I remember at 8 years old, thinking how cool the Sox were because of their uniforms and the entire "Good Guys wear Black" tagline. I wasn't a Sox fan back then, but I really wanted to be because I was still young enough - I just didn't have their games on TV.

Red Barchetta
12-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Right now it's between "Good Guys Wear Black" and "The Southside Hitmen". We might use both...

kittle42
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Obviously, "The Kids Can Play," complete with Jerry Manuel's wretched radio voiceovers.

tstrike2000
12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Winning Ugly.

wassagstdu
12-13-2010, 12:01 PM
"Win or Die Trying" is my favorite, but a close second is "Only One Stat Matters: W." Both from 2005, but I think One Stat better characterized the team effort that year. Win or Die is not one you want to remember in April or May lately.

beasly213
12-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Good Guys Wear Black
and I think "Sox Pride" was a slogan right?

I remember the "Us" and "Them" commericals that ended with "Sox Pride"

Lip Man 1
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
"Win or Die Trying" by far.

Lip

Rohan
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Win or Die Trying... Although, if we hadn't won I think we'd all feel the opposite.

downstairs
12-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Some of Hawks phrases are indeed known. I see them either played directly or mocked on ESPN highlights all the time.

Nothing is as big as "Holy Cow" of course... but if you're looking at the White Sox alone, its the hawkisms.

"He gawn" and "put it on the board... yes" specifically.

Fenway
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't think this will win

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Chicago-White-Sox-Baseball-Schedule-Budweiser-/310245656476?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item483c15079c&x=47&y=4#ht_586wt

gogosox675
12-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Good Guys Wear Black is my favorite, Win or Die Trying is a close second.

SouthSideLove
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
The all-time worst White Sox marketing campaign was It's Time.

I strongly disagree. This past season's "It's Black and White" was particularly weak (not to mention an undercurrent of polarization for a city with a history of segregation and racial inequity).

Dan H
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Angry Young Men is my favorite which dates me. There were some great billboards with it. Good thing it wasn't Win or Die Trying because that team would have died numerous deaths. Angry Young Men actually were only code words for a team that had no proven talent. They did prove a lot by losing 106 games.

downstairs
12-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Addition to my point above:

Last night ESPN had a (stupid) segment on "home run hitters" in football. Basically a nickname for an explosive runner. Whatever. But it wasn't about baseball at all. Anyway, during the segment they threw the "You can put it on the board... yes" soundbite from Hawk.

So its certainly somewhat recognizable aside from the White Sox and clips of the White Sox.

RF/DH#3
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Or you can use Hawk's, "You Gotta be BLEEPIN' ME!!!"

RowanDye
12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I think 'Ozzie Claus' is really going to catch on:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13066619&topic_id&c_id=cws&tcid=fb_video_13066619 (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13066619&topic_id&c_id=cws&tcid=fb_video_13066619)

soltrain21
12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
"Just wait till we hit our stride."

Circa 2006-2008.

SOXSINCE'70
12-16-2010, 09:01 PM
"You can put it on the boooooaarrrrd,YYYYYESSSS!"

veeter
12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I think I like "South Side Hitmen" the most because that was a phrase that was just concocted by someone in the media or the fans, there was no massive research study with thousands of dollars spent researching it. That and Winning Ugly were just sort of used and became popular almost over night and perfectly described those teams. Win or Die Trying was very good though.Great post, couldn't agree more. AND those two phrases have withstood the test of time and still appear on shirts and stuff today. Most of the others are forgotten about right away.

WinningUgly!
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
"That's a White Sox Winner!":)

RowanDye
12-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I think 'Ozzie Claus' is really going to catch on:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13066619&topic_id&c_id=cws&tcid=fb_video_13066619 (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13066619&topic_id&c_id=cws&tcid=fb_video_13066619)

I guess I should have started a new thread...

Falstaff
12-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Go-Go White Sox! Go-Go White Sox!
song and slogan from the Luis Aparicio days,
late 60's I guess. Really captures the run
and gun style of play back then, gets the crowd
momentum going like runaway train; probably
lifted attendance too. I was there.

haganaga
12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Not my favorite, but I have a soft spot for, "White Sox baseball. Brand new, old fashioned fun."

Juice16
12-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Not sure if I have a favorite, but last year in my opinion was the worst. The whole White Sox Baseball, It's Black and White along with those terrible commercials to me was painful to watch and listen to.

35th&Florida
12-29-2010, 11:44 PM
all of these are great suggestions, but to get to the heart of the project (something universal) i have to think that BLACK SOX hits the nail on the head for being well known outside the fan base.

even if the phrase correlated with the cheapness of the owner. from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

Black Sox

Although many believe the Black Sox name to be related to the dark and corrupt nature of the conspiracy, the term "Black Sox" may already have existed before the fix. There is a story that the name "Black Sox" derived from parsimonious owner Charles Comiskey's refusal to pay for the players' uniforms to be laundered, instead insisting that the players themselves pay for the cleaning. As the story goes, the players refused and subsequent games saw the White Sox play in progressively filthier uniforms as dust, sweat and grime collected on the white, woolen uniforms until they took on a much darker shade. Comiskey then had the uniforms washed and deducted the laundry bill from the players' salaries.

On the other hand, Eliot Asinof in his book Eight Men Out makes no such connection, mentioning early on to filthy uniforms but referring to the term "Black Sox" only in connection with the scandal.

NSFWSoxFan
12-30-2010, 01:09 AM
"Disco Sucks"

And, on the same night, "Holy Cow!"