PDA

View Full Version : Angels sign LHP Scott Downs to 3-year, $15M deal

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-10-2010, 10:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5907430

Well, that's one reliever off the board. $5M a year, though? That's a pretty steep price, especially for a 34-year old reliever with a career 3.79 ERA.

TheVulture
12-10-2010, 10:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5907430

Well, that's one reliever off the board. $5M a year, though? That's a pretty steep price, especially for a 34-year old reliever with a career 3.79 ERA.

He was converted to relief in 2006 and his ERA since is around 2.50. The fact he's 34 has little bearing on his worth.

Zisk77
12-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I like Downs but that deal seems Linebrinkian to me.:o:

slavko
12-10-2010, 11:11 PM
And you thought we were in a crapshoot to get some 'pen talent without bucks to spend? This makes it even harder. Someone better be real smart here, Kenny.

Boondock Saint
12-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Between Thornton and Sale (and Randy Williams, if you want to count him), we've got enough lefties. We've only got Pena and Santos for righties.

doublem23
12-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Between Thornton and Sale (and Randy Williams, if you want to count him), we've got enough lefties. We've only got Pena and Santos for righties.

The Sox released Williams, didn't they?

Boondock Saint
12-11-2010, 01:15 AM
The Sox released Williams, didn't they?

You're right, my mistake.

TDog
12-11-2010, 03:37 AM
I hope that isn't reflective of the market this offseason for veteran relief pitchers because that sounds like a silly contract.

asindc
12-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I hope that isn't reflective of the market this offseason for veteran relief pitchers because that sounds like a silly contract.

It is a silly contract. I get the impression that LAAAAA signed this contract out of spite, to drive up the price of relievers since they were shut out of the big guns (i.ei, Crawford). There is no way Downs is worth $5 million a year, and no reason to sign him now. LAAAAAAAA, have fun negotiating with Beltre and Boras.

TheVulture
12-12-2010, 05:15 PM

If Kerry Wood can get a ten million dollar a year deal, it sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'd take Downs every day of the week over Wood.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2010, 07:04 PM
T-Dog:

The market is set by what a team considers is a reasonable price. If they are willing to pay the price, it's "reasonable" to them and that's all that matters.

Pitching is always the single most important and expensive commodity out there.

Lip

Foulke You
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
It is a silly contract. I get the impression that LAAAAA signed this contract out of spite, to drive up the price of relievers since they were shut out of the big guns (i.ei, Crawford). There is no way Downs is worth $5 million a year, and no reason to sign him now. LAAAAAAAA, have fun negotiating with Beltre and Boras.
I think the Tigers set the market for top relievers this offseason with the big contract they gave Benoit.