PDA

View Full Version : Sox Exploring TCQ Trade

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Multiple sources confirmed that the Sox are actively looking to trade Quentin for a package w/bullpen help, but "are asking a lot so far.'' less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/13367789993590784) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)

My concern is who goes in RF if Quentin leaves? I'd hate the thought of seeing Teahen in the everyday lineup again. If we could somehow work a deal with Colorado that gets us Dexter Fowler, go for it.

spawn
12-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Has Cowley been right about anything so far this offseason?

Boondock Saint
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Multiple sources confirmed that the Sox are actively looking to trade Quentin for a package w/bullpen help, but "are asking a lot so far.'' less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/13367789993590784) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1130468780/9-15_20Lachat_20cowley_201_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)

My concern is who goes in RF if Quentin leaves? I'd hate the thought of seeing Teahen in the everyday lineup again. If we could somehow work a deal with Colorado that gets us Dexter Fowler, go for it.

1) Dexter Fowler is a pipe dream.

2) AJ/Teahen/Morel isn't the worst 7/8/9 in the world.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM

:thumbsup:

He did say that "What Jerry wants, Jerry gets."

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 06:14 PM

We already don't know what we're getting from Morel. We know that Teahen is bad. If Morel turns out to be bad, I'd hate to have two automatic outs in the lineup. Also, Teahen's defense isn't necessarily an upgrade over Quentin.

spawn
12-10-2010, 06:15 PM
:thumbsup:

He did say that "What Jerry wants, Jerry gets."

He also said the Sox were moving on to plan B. :wink:

TheOldRoman
12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
He also said the Sox were moving on to plan B. :wink:And as part of that he was pitching "Jerry is going to step in and make it happen." In reality, multiple reputable media outlets reported that due to personal feelings for Konerko Jerry removed himself completely from negotiations.

To answer your earlier question, no, Cowley has not been right about one single thing yet this offseason.

If the Sox do move Quentin there have to be several moves to come. I don't think the Sox are going to go into the season with Teahen the staring RF.

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2010, 06:20 PM
He also said the Sox were moving on to plan B. :wink:

I think he has announced every possibility with everything that could happen, "The Sox are going to sign Dunn and Konerko, no wait! They won't sign Paulie! No wait! THey will, but AJ is going! No wait! AJ is staying but Konerko is gone! No wait, they'll sign Paulie! No they won't! What Jerry wants Jerry gets."

DirtySox
12-10-2010, 06:25 PM
If the Sox do move Quentin there have to be several moves to come. I don't think the Sox are going to go into the season with Teahen the staring RF.

I sure hope there would be further moves. I wonder if they are considering resigning Andruw to split time in RF with Teahen.

spawn
12-10-2010, 06:26 PM
And as part of that he was pitching "Jerry is going to step in and make it happen." In reality, multiple reputable media outlets reported that due to personal feelings for Konerko Jerry removed himself completely from negotiations.

Yep. From what I've read, he only got involved to say he wasn't going to be involved. Hahn did the heavy lifting.

chunk
12-10-2010, 06:28 PM

AJ/Teahen/Morel/Pierre is a very weak 7891.

DickAllen72
12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't give much credence to anything Cowley reports.

gr8mexico
12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm sure a team like the A's,Nationals or Orioles would be willing to pay a fair price to get TCQ because no one wants to just go there and play.
But I'm hoping that the Sox can get something done with the Cardinals before trading TCQ

KMcMahon817
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM

If Quentin is traded exclusively for BP help, that is incredibly moronic in my opinion. Let's just trade a guy who can hit 25 home runs and have 80 RBI while missing 50 games for a couple of BP arms that could easily be found in FA. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
If Quentin is traded exclusively for BP help, that is incredibly moronic in my opinion. Let's just trade a guy who can hit 25 home runs and have 80 RBI while missing 50 games for a couple of BP arms that could easily be found in FA. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

it says "a package w/bullpen help"

I don't think KW is going to trade Carlos just for BP help. I'm sure he wants other players involved too, preferably an outfielder.

Kenny can't use free agency because the team is "tapped out" as he says.

sullythered
12-10-2010, 06:44 PM
AJ/Teahen/Morel isn't the worst 7/8/9 in the world.

Is "not the worst in the world" really what we should be striving for? I want outstanding, not passable. Relief pitching is a complete crapshoot. There's only one relief pitcher you can really count on, and I don't think the Yankees are trading him. I would never give up an everyday starter or starting pitcher for relief help.

Taliesinrk
12-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I know a former Sox OF'er who's a FA and would be cheap.....

[/begin mocking me now]

Dibbs
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM

It would be pretty close.

dickallen15
12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
If Quentin was traded and no replacement acquired, Viciedo is going to play RF, if not right away, he will be playing RF in Charlotte to begin 2011.

thomas35forever
12-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Get a big haul for a semi-big player. That is all.

KMcMahon817
12-10-2010, 07:20 PM
it says "a package w/bullpen help"

I don't think KW is going to trade Carlos just for BP help. I'm sure he wants other players involved too, preferably an outfielder.

Kenny can't use free agency because the team is "tapped out" as he says.

I realize that the payroll is "tapped out". I don't think an extra 3 million or so to sign two decent bullpen guys is going to be that big of a problem. Definitely not a big enough problem to trade TCQ over.

And that package would be pretty underwhelming if it included major league ready BP arms...considering whatever else we get would probably not be major league ready.

Don't trade Carlos. It's not worth it...give him one more shot. He's going to have a monster season.

ChicagoG19
12-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Colby Rasmus and Jason Motte. Go get it done Kenny.

BringHomeDaBacon
12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I realize that the payroll is "tapped out". I don't think an extra 3 million or so to sign two decent bullpen guys is going to be that big of a problem. Definitely not a big enough problem to trade TCQ over.

And that package would be pretty underwhelming if it included major league ready BP arms...considering whatever else we get would probably not be major league ready.

Don't trade Carlos. It's not worth it...give him one more shot. He's going to have a monster season.

I completely agree with all of the above. If they're "all in" it would hardly make sense to trade a promising player entering his prime to save a few million.

And I agree that AJ/Teahen/Morel/Pierre is pretty damn weak - that's a large chunk of the lineup.

spawn
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Everyone, let's remember...this is all according to Joe Cowley. We know how often he's been correct this offseason. Remember, he said AJ was close to signing with the Blue Jays hours before he re-signed with the Sox.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Everyone, let's remember...this is all according to Joe Cowley. We know how often he's been correct this offseason. Remember, he said AJ was close to signing with the Blue Jays hours before he re-signed with the Sox.

Truth was AJ was close to signing with the Dodgers too.

BadBobbyJenks
12-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Well AJ himself said it was pretty close to him going there.

soltrain21
12-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Well AJ himself said it was pretty close to him going there.

Yeah. He said he had already called his mom to tell her he was playing for the Dodgers next year.

Brian26
12-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah. He said he had already called his mom to tell her he was playing for the Dodgers next year.

Wrong team, wrong division, wrong league, wrong country. Hey, at least Cowley knew the color of the unis. Wait- the Blue Jays don't even wear blue anymore. Epic fail by Cowley.

Tragg
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
We're signing Dunn only to have Teahen in RF?
Yikes!!!

doublem23
12-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Yikes!!!

It is an improvement over having Kotsay DH and Teahen play 3B.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 09:07 PM
It is an improvement over having Kotsay DH and Teahen play 3B.

The thing is that at least with Carlos, you know you're going to get some offense to back-up the defense.

soltrain21
12-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Yikes!!!

I think if we trade TCQ then Floyd gets moved for an outfielder.

asindc
12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Truth was AJ was close to signing with the Dodgers too.

Too? More like instead of.

russ99
12-11-2010, 12:11 AM
AJ/Teahen/Morel/Pierre is a very weak 7891.

Hooey. Name a team that has a good 7-8-9-1.

By it's nature, due to the watered-down talent level in the league, everyone has question marks.

Besides, I wouldn't consider A.J. and Pierre weak by any means. Certainly they'd be considered average, but not weak.

I wouldn't mind a Quentin deal, due to his subpar year the last two seasons and his $4-5M arb figure to come, but we better get a good piece and more than a bullpen arm in return.

guillen4life13
12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
At this point I really think you just hold on to Quentin and hope he can revert to form. 2008 type production would be a boon, but somewhere between 2010 and 2008 will work considering the rest of the power in the lineup. If he reverts to form, ride him out for the season and reevaluate a year from now. Maybe you trade him then when his value is high, or you keep him for the long haul.

I'd hate for the Sox to trade Quentin for some average relief help, only to see him bounce back with a strong season at the plate.

guillensdisciple
12-11-2010, 03:07 AM
If Quentin ever reverts to 2008 form, you guys can pencil this team as the most dangerous offensive club in the history of baseball.

Not a chance in hell we would be averaging less than 5 runs a game.

Now that I think about it, Quentin is worth the gamble. PLease find bullpen help elsewhere.

gr8mexico
12-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Why trade TCQ Now?
I'm sure the Sox can trade Mark Teahen for just a bullpen pitcher and it would also free up some little money by doing that.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-11-2010, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Quentin traded, but I'd prefer that he isn't. I think adding Dunn is going to help him be more relaxed. Putting him lowering the gives the Sox a dangerous bat that can go on a tear at any time. Not to mention the team would be that much better if he returns to form. But depending on the return, I think it might be worth the gamble of losing. But don't trade him to get reliever help. Like someone else said, Teahen could probably get a decent average arm out of some team.

SephClone89
12-11-2010, 06:40 AM
If Quentin ever reverts to 2008 form, you guys can pencil this team as the most dangerous offensive club in the history of baseball.

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you kidding me? Lay off the hyperbole.

CHISOXFAN13
12-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Why trade TCQ Now?
I'm sure the Sox can trade Mark Teahen for just a bullpen pitcher and it would also free up some little money by doing that.

You think it's that easy to trade a guy with a bad contract who doesn't do much of anything?

I wish.

CHISOXFAN13
12-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Not a chance in hell we would be averaging less than 5 runs a game.

Now that I think about it, Quentin is worth the gamble. PLease find bullpen help elsewhere.

I'd take Boston's lineup over ours to start even if that did happen.

TomBradley72
12-11-2010, 10:10 AM
ANY scenario that has Mark Teahen as a regular at any position is a bad scenario. He's the "Scott Linebrink" of position players.

Bucky F. Dent
12-11-2010, 10:18 AM
If we were to move TCQ, who's to say that Jordan Danks won't take his place as opposed Mackowierrrrr Teahen.

soltrain21
12-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Not his style.

Konerko05
12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
If we were to move TCQ, who's to say that Jordan Danks won't take his place as opposed Mackowierrrrr Teahen.

While not exactly a person, I'd say his .685 OPS and 151 SO in AAA.

Or maybe everyone, except you.

Boondock Saint
12-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Not his style.

True, but I'm sure that Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, and the rest of murderer's row are still laughing that notion off.

getonbckthr
12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I wonder instead of trading Quentin if we were to take a bad contract coming back with a cheap premier reliever if we could move Teahen? I guess what i'm thinking is:

Sox trade: Floyd, Teahen and a prospect (Danks?)
Cubs trade: Fukudome and Marmol.

Fukudome becomes yes a very expensive 4th outfielder/defensive replacement but his contract is only for this year and is offset a little by Marmol who I think doesn't hit arbitration until after next year. Sure for the Cubs they lose a guy like Marmol but with the Teahen/Fukudome switch they basically cut the financial responsibility in half. Oh ya they get Floyd who may be thier staff ACE. For the Sox you get an electric closer on the cheap allowing Thornton to be in the role he is best in. Rotation wise you run out:
Buerhle, Danks, Sale, Jackson and resign Garcia on the cheap. Once Peavy returns he automatically returns to rotation and either Sale or Garcia bounce to the bullpen depending on who is more effective.

russ99
12-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I wonder instead of trading Quentin if we were to take a bad contract coming back with a cheap premier reliever if we could move Teahen? I guess what i'm thinking is:

Fukudome becomes yes a very expensive 4th outfielder/defensive replacement but his contract is only for this year and is offset a little by Marmol who I think doesn't hit arbitration until after next year. Sure for the Cubs they lose a guy like Marmol but with the Teahen/Fukudome switch they basically cut the financial responsibility in half. Oh ya they get Floyd who may be thier staff ACE. For the Sox you get an electric closer on the cheap allowing Thornton to be in the role he is best in. Rotation wise you run out:
Buerhle, Danks, Sale, Jackson and resign Garcia on the cheap. Once Peavy returns he automatically returns to rotation and either Sale or Garcia bounce to the bullpen depending on who is more effective.

Interesting idea.

I doubt the Cubs would go for it (especially the Marmol part) or that anyone has real interest in Teahen, but that's the kind of creative move Kenny would need to make without adding payroll.

Maybe another team would give us their setup man and a one-year bad contract for something similar.

Personally, I think putting Sale, Infante (who had a nice Sept. call-up this year) and Harrell in the pen would give us similar numbers to the low-end group of FA relievers out there. Bring back Freddy to stopgap the 5th starter job until Peavy's ready and we're set. Much less risky than trading proven big league talent to add a guy to the pen.

Lyle Mouton
12-11-2010, 10:59 AM
People can stop calling Danks a prospect anytime now.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
People can stop calling Danks a prospect anytime now.

Jordan Danks is still 100% the definition of "prospect".

getonbckthr
12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Exactly. What else would i call him?

RealFan
12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I think folks need to recognize that when "Danks" and "prospect" are used together that is always a reference to the younger brother Jordan.

Lyle Mouton
12-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Exactly. What else would i call him?

I think folks need to recognize that when "Danks" and "prospect" are used together that is always a reference to the younger brother Jordan.
Prospect implies that one has a future. Saying "trade X + Y and a prospect" is not the same as "X + Y and organizational filler like Jordan Danks."

kittle42
12-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Everyone knows that.

People criticizing the use of "prospect" are saying that Jordan Danks has no value.

sullythered
12-11-2010, 11:23 AM

So, essentially Floyd for Marmol? No, thanks. I'll take a good starter over a very good reliever any day.

RealFan
12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Everyone knows that.

People criticizing the use of "prospect" are saying that Jordan Danks has no value.

Oh. My bad then. I've seen this "Danks" confusion on other threads and I thought that is what we had here too.

sox1970
12-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Time will tell, but for now, KW is saying false.

http://twitter.com/davandyck/status/13627784962248704

guillensdisciple
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Yep. Kinda kidding- kinda not. Just excited about where that would lead I guess.

KMcMahon817
12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

I am glad he gets it.

JohnTucker0814
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Would anyone do a Quentin for Michael Young trade? Young would solve our #2 spot in the order and solidify 3b???

We could then use Viciedo in RF if we needed to and have the "young" guy in RF instead of at 3B???

EMachine10
12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Would anyone do a Quentin for Michael Young trade? Young would solve our #2 spot in the order and solidify 3b???

We could then use Viciedo in RF if we needed to and have the "young" guy in RF instead of at 3B???
Morel is our 3B, not Viciedo.

spawn
12-11-2010, 01:04 PM

What does Van Dyck know? Everyone knows Cowley has his finger on the pulse of the Sox organization, no matter what KW says.

DickAllen72
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Dave van Dyck quotes KW as saying, "It's been written that we're shopping Carlos Quentin. That's a lie."

He goes on to say that three teams asked about Quentin at the winter meetings but he has not had one single conversation with anyone since and that the Sox will add to their relief pitching without trading CQ.

In effect KW is calling Cowley a liar. It seems when Cowley isn't trying to stir up garbage against players or management personnel he doesn't like by reporting gossip, he's reporting false rumors about trades or signings that never occur.

spawn
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Dave van Dyck quotes KW as saying, "It's been written that we're shopping Carlos Quentin. That's a lie."

He goes on to say that three teams asked about Quentin at the winter meetings but he has not had one single conversation with anyone since and that the Sox will add to their relief pitching without trading CQ.

In effect KW is calling Cowley a liar. It seems when Cowley isn't trying to stir up garbage against players or management personnel he doesn't like by reporting gossip, he's reporting false rumors about trades or signings that never occur.
Looks like he's keeping his offseason streak of getting nothing right alive.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Scout just confirmed that KW is hoping Quentin can land him "a Carlos Lee-type return.'' Lee was traded for Pods and Vizcaino in 2004. less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/13676742837272576) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

If that's true, I'd take it.

If the deal is not there will then explore moving Viciedo or Teahen, but know that the return won't be as much. less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/13677016180072448) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

getonbckthr
12-11-2010, 02:33 PM
The Joe Cowley-Kenny Williams rivalry is a funny one to follow.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Whatever Kenny does, I hope he doesn't resort to trading with the Royals again. Nothing good has come out of it for us.

PalehosePlanet
12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
We already have a Vizcaino type in Pena, and we already have a Pods type in Pierre. Sounds like Cowley is full of ****, per usual. Especially since KW stated we're not trading anyone from the starting offense for bullpen help.

soltrain21
12-11-2010, 02:41 PM
We already have a Vizcaino type in Pena, and we already have a Pods type in Pierre. Sounds like Cowley is full of ****, per usual. Especially since KW stated we're not trading anyone from the starting offense for bullpen help.

I don't think he meant trying to get those two exact type of players. Just a "2 for 1" type of swap.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't think he meant trying to get those two exact type of players. Just a "2 for 1" type of swap.

To be more specific, an outfielder to go along with the reliever that Kenny wants. Obviously Kenny doesn't want Teahen starting either.

DickAllen72
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Of course if KW can get a quality OFer and a quality relief pitcher for CQ he would make that trade. Doesn't take a baseball genius nor an "insider" to tell us that.

PalehosePlanet
12-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Michael Young is making 15 million per year for the next three years and is already 34 years old. There is a reason why he's on the block.

Gavin
12-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Joe Cowley's tweets are copyrighted. Please don't get this website in trouble by posting them.

Ron Karkovice
12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Joe Cowley's tweets are copyrighted. Please don't get this website in trouble by posting them.

?

JohnTucker0814
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Morel is our 3B, not Viciedo.

I didn't say Viciedo was our 3B, I said our "young" guy (morel/3b, Viciedo/RF) would be in RF instead of at 3B. If we can "afford" to have 1 youngster in the line-up, would it be better to have Viciedo or Morel?

NardiWasHere
12-11-2010, 09:46 PM

?

Is this a joke?

Nellie_Fox
12-12-2010, 01:50 AM
I think folks need to recognize that when "Danks" and "prospect" are used together that is always a reference to the younger brother Jordan.I think folks need to say Jordan Danks when they mean Jordan Danks. The responsibility for clear communication is on the sender, not the receiver.

gobears1987
12-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Can people just stop posting Joe Cowley tweets for the reason that they are always most inaccurate tweets on the organization. Cowley should be relegated to the Roadhouse with North and a certain former columnist who is now unemployed. Cowley does not deserve any attention and is known to just post bull****. I think he was that poster we had here a few years back who claimed to hear Kenny on the phone at an airport.

Hitmen77
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1212-white-sox-chicago--20101211,0,3361646.story

Here's the Van Dyck article. It says that KW acknowledges the need to get 1 or 2 relievers and that a trade may occur, but not at the expense of the starting lineup.

hi im skot
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM

:rolling:

AzureJazzMan
12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
There are 2 teams that immediately come to mind for me, with regard to having a NEED for a Carlos Quentin type of guy, that I haven't heard much chatter about (oddly enough) with regard to our Sox. The first is the Rays who will be pretty desperate for some pop in their lineup this coming season, and the other team is the Rangers who still need a DH that can actually roam the OF.

Both teams have pitching depth and may be willing to do a deal with us.

KMcMahon817
12-13-2010, 06:54 PM
There are 2 teams that immediately come to mind for me, with regard to having a NEED for a Carlos Quentin type of guy, that I haven't heard much chatter about (oddly enough) with regard to our Sox. The first is the Rays who will be pretty desperate for some pop in their lineup this coming season, and the other team is the Rangers who still need a DH that can actually roam the OF.

Both teams have pitching depth and may be willing to do a deal with us.

TCQ for relievers would be an epic failure.

guillensdisciple
12-14-2010, 01:08 AM
By the way, Quentin only played in 131 games last year. If he plays a full season, I think 30 home runs and 100 rbi's are not out of the question. Sure as hell is good production for a guy in the 6 hole.

doublem23
12-14-2010, 01:28 AM
TCQ for relievers would be an epic failure.

Depends on if you can replace him or not. Trading TCQ for bullpen help and then turning to Mark Teahen... Silly. Trading TCQ for bullpen help and bringing in an MLB-quality RF... Good move.

NLaloosh
12-14-2010, 01:41 AM
How about Joe Blanton and his 2 yr. $ 17 mil. contract and Domomnic Brown for Carlos Quentin?

Lillian
12-14-2010, 06:38 AM
How about Joe Blanton and his 2 yr. $ 17 mil. contract and Domomnic Brown for Carlos Quentin?

I like it. Moreover, the Phillies might actually go for that deal. They're looking for a Right handed power hitting outfielder, to replace Werth, and they want to dump Blanton's salary.
However, which pitcher then gets traded, and for what?

How about that Buerhle to the Yankees idea? But maybe we take Granderson instead of Gardner. Granderson helps make up the loss of Quentin, better than Gardner would. Moreover, the Yankees would be much more likely to trade him than Gardner.

Your outfield is Dominic Brown in LF, Granderson in CF, and Rios in RF. That is a great defensive outfield.
Vs. LHP you could sit Granderson, put Viciedo in LF, Rios in CF and Brown in RF

The savings on Quentin and Buerhle would pay for Granderson, Blanton and Brown, and leave a little money left over this year for a reliever or two.

Zisk77
12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I like it. Moreover, the Phillies might actually go for that deal. They're looking for a Right handed power hitting outfielder, to replace Werth, and they want to dump Blanton's salary.
However, which pitcher then gets traded, and for what?

How about that Buerhle to the Yankees idea? But maybe we take Granderson instead of Gardner. Granderson helps make up the loss of Quentin, better than Gardner would. Moreover, the Yankees would be much more likely to trade him than Gardner.

Your outfield is Dominic Brown in LF, Granderson in CF, and Rios in RF. That is a great defensive outfield.
Vs. LHP you could sit Granderson, put Viciedo in LF, Rios in CF and Brown in RF

The savings on Quentin and Buerhle would pay for Granderson, Blanton and Brown, and leave a little money left over this year for a reliever or two.

Mark has a no trade clause and said the cardinals and whitesox are the only 2 teams he will play for before he retires.

soxyess
12-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Can people just stop posting Joe Cowley tweets for the reason that they are always most inaccurate tweets on the organization. Cowley should be relegated to the Roadhouse with North and a certain former columnist who is now unemployed. Cowley does not deserve any attention and is known to just post bull****. I think he was that poster we had here a few years back who claimed to hear Kenny on the phone at an airport.

Kenny on the phone at the airport? What was that about? I missed that post

Lillian
12-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Mark has a no trade clause and said the cardinals and whitesox are the only 2 teams he will play for before he retires.

Well, I guess that pretty well shoots down that idea.
Moreover, I just realized that the Yankees don't really have any other outfielders to replace any one of the current crew, if traded.
Not that the Yankees wouldn't just open the check book and sign someone.

Lyle Mouton
12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I like it. Moreover, the Phillies might actually go for that deal.
No, not even close.
By the way, Quentin only played in 131 games last year. If he plays a full season, I think 30 home runs and 100 rbi's are not out of the question. Sure as hell is good production for a guy in the 6 hole.Not if those statistics are coupled with piss-poor defense.

peelwonder
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
No, not even close.
Not if those statistics are coupled with piss-poor defense.

Piss Poor is being kind. Quentin is brutal in the field. He makes Carlos Lee look like a Gold Glove winner.

spawn
12-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Piss Poor is being kind. Quentin is brutal in the field. He makes Carlos Lee look like a Gold Glove winner.

Please. Carlos Lee was worse than Quentin will ever be.

russ99
12-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Carlos Lee has a really short LF porch in Houston. I'd say they were about the same, with Carlos having a better arm.

Carlos going the expected 550 AB is the issue here. Seemingly he can't do that.

Then add his sub .250 BA, and we can do better if we can replace him with similar power numbers.

cws05champ
12-14-2010, 09:43 AM

We all know he is not good out there, but I believe he and Beckham are the key to the offense this year. If Beckham breaks out and Quentin can relax and revert to 140 GP, 30-33HR's, this offense will be really really good. I think we can suffer with his defense for that offensive production from a guy making less than $6M.

doublem23
12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
We all know he is not good out there, but I believe he and Beckham are the key to the offense this year. If Beckham breaks out and Quentin can relax and revert to 140 GP, 30-33HR's, this offense will be really really good. I think we can suffer with his defense for that offensive production from a guy making less than $6M.

I agree, the key to Carlos' game will always be his offense. When he's mashing the ball to a .900+ OPS, he looks like a stud out there. When he's sulking and slumping, he looks like the worst fielder in the game.

The Cell has a small outfield with very smooth angles, it's not a hard RF to play once you get used to the wind patterns. Add that we have an athletic CF who can still cover a lot of ground and you can really hide Carlos in RF so long as he's hitting the ball.

KMcMahon817
12-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Depends on if you can replace him or not. Trading TCQ for bullpen help and then turning to Mark Teahen... Silly. Trading TCQ for bullpen help and bringing in an MLB-quality RF... Good move.

Well yes, I suppose. But that requires another trade if KW is "tapped out". The savings from trading Quentin will be very minimal. If the SOX get relievers in return, they sure as hell better be damn good ones, and they will probably make what TCQ does anyway.

I wish I knew how to double quote, but I also agree with your latest post, doub. If TCQ is hitting, his defense is excusable. Let's give him one more year.

doublem23
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Well yes, I suppose. But that requires another trade if KW is "tapped out". The savings from trading Quentin will be very minimal. If the SOX get relievers in return, they sure as hell better be damn good ones, and they will probably make what TCQ does anyway.

I wish I knew how to double quote, but I also agree with your latest post, doub. If TCQ is hitting, his defense is excusable. Let's give him one more year.

:hijacked:

To use the double quote feature, you have to click the Multi-Quote Function button. It is located in the lower right corner of every post. It looks like this when not selected:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

When you click the button, it changes to this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/multiquote_on.gif

You must select every post you wish to Multi-Quote (I'm sure there is a maximum but I don't know what it is). Then, click the Quote button on the last one you selected and all the posts you want to quote will appear in your message box.

Tip: the messages will appear in the order in which you select them, not neccessarily in chronological order. Of course, you can copy and paste messages around once you get to the Message box, but if you start at the bottom of a thread and work your way up, you will quote stuff backwards.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

KMcMahon817
12-14-2010, 02:55 PM
:hijacked:

To use the double quote feature, you have to click the Multi-Quote Function button. It is located in the lower right corner of every post. It looks like this when not selected:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

When you click the button, it changes to this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/multiquote_on.gif

You must select every post you wish to Multi-Quote (I'm sure there is a maximum but I don't know what it is). Then, click the Quote button on the last one you selected and all the posts you want to quote will appear in your message box.

Tip: the messages will appear in the order in which you select them, not neccessarily in chronological order. Of course, you can copy and paste messages around once you get to the Message box, but if you start at the bottom of a thread and work your way up, you will quote stuff backwards.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Why thank you, sir. :tiphat:

SoxNation05
12-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Carlos Lee has a really short LF porch in Houston. I'd say they were about the same, with Carlos having a better arm.

Then add his sub .250 BA, and we can do better if we can replace him with similar power numbers.

You probably should have used last names to differentiate the two.

asindc
12-14-2010, 04:47 PM

I disagree. I think Carlos has the better arm.

spawn
12-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Well, you're wrong. Carlos does.

BlackandWhiteSox
12-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Well, you're wrong. Carlos does.

:lol: nice, I had to sign-in just to appreciate that one. Well done.