PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey: stereotype exagerrator?

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2002, 12:37 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-020629morrisseyatcubssox.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dh eadlines

Is this what the Tribune is going to do forever and ever? Write about insulting, negative crap like this (and the Sox's future salary dilemmas) every time they spank the Baby Bears?

DVG
06-30-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-020629morrisseyatcubssox.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dh eadlines

Is this what the Tribune is going to do forever and ever? Write about insulting, negative crap like this (and the Sox's future salary dilemmas) every time they spank the Baby Bears?

Notice how Cub fans are always praised, lionized and romantic-
ized as the best fans in all sports, but Sox fans are always
sneered at as a bunch jealous, negative jerks. We are also
sneered at whenever we see articles like this and holler that
the media is biased against the team. You won't see any
articles featuring snarly Cub fans who want us to disappear
any time soon. I guarantee they are out there, though.

For my own part, I know some Cub fans who are great people.
I don't want them to disappear. Morrissey is slime.

doublem23
06-30-2002, 06:39 AM
Just like those scumbags not to provide an email address, too.

Bucktown
06-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Stereotype? You have to be kidding me. This is dead-on accurate. Has anyone ever read this message board? I sometime think that Sox fans hate the Cubs more than the love the Sox. Of course that isn't saying much because I question if many Sox fans really love the Sox. They seem to enjoy complaining about them more than rooting for them.

Don't get me wrong, I put myself in that group. My two favorite teams are the Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs. Doesn't everyone feel that way? What's wrong with writing a light-headted work about it?

When I read this article I laughed out loud. He has hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't call it unbiased either. He did refer to Cub fans as "cell phone carrying brie eaters."

oldcomiskey
06-30-2002, 10:20 AM
someone once asked me who I hated to get beat by the worst--I answered immediatley---the north side AA team-----because you expect to be beat by the Yankees---I dont even live in the City anymore but I hate what the Cubune has done------its in my opinion that Sox fans are actaully MORE loyal to their team because we wont show up if the team is bad--therefore forcing management to make a decision----I know they aint made a good one in years---probably the last great one was Albert Belle---and that blew up in JRs face

guillen4life13
06-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
someone once asked me who I hated to get beat by the worst--I answered immediatley---the north side AA team-----because you expect to be beat by the Yankees---I dont even live in the City anymore but I hate what the Cubune has done------its in my opinion that Sox fans are actaully MORE loyal to their team because we wont show up if the team is bad--therefore forcing management to make a decision----I know they aint made a good one in years---probably the last great one was Albert Belle---and that blew up in JRs face

i know that i'm not one who really knows about this (i wasn't really a fan of baseball at the time... but).

really what was the problem with Albert Belle in Chicago? In 1998 he had arguable his best year (not counting 1994... and god knows what would have happened if the season had continued). he hit .328 with 49 HR's... came 2nd in the homerun race and the rbi race with 152 RBI. only problem was that that's when Frank Thomas went into his 2 year funk.

really what was the whole deal at the time? was it just a conflict between Thomas and Belle over leadership of the team, or was it a money issue?

Bucktown
06-30-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

i know that i'm not one who really knows about this (i wasn't really a fan of baseball at the time... but).

really what was the problem with Albert Belle in Chicago? In 1998 he had arguable his best year (not counting 1994... and god knows what would have happened if the season had continued). he hit .328 with 49 HR's... came 2nd in the homerun race and the rbi race with 152 RBI. only problem was that that's when Frank Thomas went into his 2 year funk.

really what was the whole deal at the time? was it just a conflict between Thomas and Belle over leadership of the team, or was it a money issue?
As I recall Belle, was a clubhouse plague. Certainly there was no chemistry between him and Frank. In Belle's great year he didn't really come on until the team was out of the race. He had many chances at the beginning of the year to establish the Sox as a contender, but he didn't come through. After the team was out of it he began padding his stats. Sort of like Clayton last year.

guillen4life13
06-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown

As I recall Belle, was a clubhouse plague. Certainly there was no chemistry between him and Frank. In Belle's great year he didn't really come on until the team was out of the race. He had many chances at the beginning of the year to establish the Sox as a contender, but he didn't come through. After the team was out of it he began padding his stats. Sort of like Clayton last year.

i see. reminds me of another chicago outfielder that is still in chicago.
:shammy
"who me?"

all: "yes you!"
shamME: "couldn't be!"

doublem23
06-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Nah, I always thought Morrissey was an idiot. Now I have proof.

Gee willikers, he talked to how many Sox fans? 5? 6? There's basis for scientific fact.

CLR01
06-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Just like those scumbags not to provide an email address, too.

RMorrissey@tribune.com

RKMeibalane
06-30-2002, 12:49 PM
I state for the record that I love the Sox more than I hate the Cubs. In fact, it is because I love the Sox that I have developed hatred for that minor leauge team on the North Side.

Here is the difference between Sox and Cubs fans, as I see it. Sox fans are, in some respects, similar to parents who get upset with their children when they've misbehaved. It's obvious that the parents love their children, but they feel that action must be taken to ensure that a lesson is learned. For example, if Frank pops out with two men on base, people get upset with him. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't like Frank. It has more to do with the fact that they want Thomas to do well because it will help the team, and they are upset when he doesn't.

Cubs fans, on the other hand, are similar to parents who allow their children to get away with everything. They make excuses and blame everyone else for what's going on, instead of excepting the fact that they need to discipline their children. If a five-year-old boy breaks a window, his parents might say something like, "Oh, well. They shouldn't have put the windown in that spot when they built the house." This happens all too often with Cubs fans, who blame everyone but the players for all the crap on the field. Most recently, they have accused PK of using steroids because he's had two diferent two-homer games against them.

Viva Magglio
06-30-2002, 09:34 PM
First, he posts a column saying Konerko's days here are numbered because of Reinsdorf's frugality. Now, he is stereotyping us as hate mongers more preoccupied with hating the Cubs than supporting our team. What gives?

CLR01
06-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
First, he posts a column saying Konerko's days here are numbered because of Reinsdorf's frugality. Now, he is stereotyping us as hate mongers more preoccupied with hating the Cubs than supporting our team. What gives?

I thought rogers wrote the Konerko piece.

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I thought rogers wrote the Konerko piece.

He did.

CLR01
06-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He did.

See and i didnt even read the POS's story. Come on viva, we expect better.