PDA

View Full Version : Will The Crawford/Red Sawx Deal End Up being Carlos Beltran Part 2?

Thome25
12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I know it's early but, IMO the Crawford-to-the-Red Sawx deal will end up being the Sawx version of the Mets' Carlos Beltran deal.

We're talking about two guys with similar playing styles and similar hype once they hit the FA market.

I think the Red Sawx will end up regretting this deal before it's all over just like the Mets do with the Beltran deal.

CPditka
12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Maybe in years 5,6,7... but not in years 1-4.

See also: Alphonso Soriano.

kobo
12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Exactly what I was going to say.

asindc
12-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Yeah, the early returns on various baseball boards have Soriano's name coming up most often. At least Crawford is not Teahen or Dunn-awful at defense.

TheVulture
12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Where's the "will he be lazy now?" thread for Jason Werth and Troy Tulowitzki?

Foulke You
12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I think this deal will almost certainly hurt Boston in years 5, 6, and 7 because Crawford's game is based on his legs. Crawford doesn't have enough power to slide over to DH if his speed game fails him. If Crawford starts to slow down or gets hurt in the middle part of that deal, they will be paying $20 million for a DH who only hits 15-18HRs a year.

sullythered
12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I concur with the sentiments here. It will be all sunshine and roses for the first few years, but once his legs start to go, the deal will hurt them.

sullythered
12-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Also, Beltran has been injured, but in his full seasons, he's been a damn good player.

Dibbs
12-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I like Crawford, but I can't figure out how he is worth $20m in years 1 and 2 let alone years 6 and 7.

PalehosePlanet
12-10-2010, 12:18 AM
I know it's early but, IMO the Crawford-to-the-Red Sawx deal will end up being the Sawx version of the Mets' Carlos Beltran deal.

We're talking about two guys with similar playing styles and similar hype once they hit the FA market.

I think the Red Sawx will end up regretting this deal before it's all over just like the Mets do with the Beltran deal.

I kept hearing this over the last few weeks, but I just don't see the comparison between these two players.

Beltran was a middle of the order, switch hitting run producer, and a very good defensive CF. A 30/30 type 5 tool player.

Carl Crawford is an excellent top of the lineup speed merchant and a good LF.

No disrespect to Carl Crawford, but he's no Carlos Beltran. Not by a long shot.

NLaloosh
12-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Incredible. Only on this site is Adam Dunn a great ball player and Carl Crawford's abilities are questioned.

There must be some great hallucinogenics going around Chicago.

Boondock Saint
12-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Incredible. Only on this site is Adam Dunn a great ball player and Carl Crawford's abilities are questioned.

There must be some great hallucinogenics going around Chicago.

It's not hard to understand that they're two players with completely different skill sets. Athletes start to lose speed around the age of 30. Power stays for much longer. All the Sox need Dunn to do is hit the ball hard. Much of Crawford's value is tied to his speed, i.e., his defense and base stealing ability.