PDA

View Full Version : Which Boston Outfielder Do You Want?

Lillian
12-09-2010, 03:57 AM
The Red Sox will almost certainly look to trade either Cameron or Drew.
Their outfield is set with Crawford, Ellsbury, and either Drew or Cameron.

I suspect that they would like to move Drew because he has the bigger salary, and is another left handed hitter, in a lineup overweighted with left handed hitters.
That doesn't fit the prototypical Fenway Park line up.
Ellsbury, Crawford, A. Gonzales, and "Big Papi" are enough left handed bats, with Ryan Kalish waiting in the wings.
They don't need Drew.

Drew is only owed one year, but it's a big number; $14 million.
If the White Sox could unload both Pierre and Teahen (almost $10 million combined), they might be able to take on most of Drew's salary, with a little help from Boston.
If Pierre and Teahen could net a bullpen arm or two, that would be a bonus.

How good is Drew's defense?
Would Boston prefer to unload Cameron instead?
He is also owed just one year, but at only $7.25 million, which is just half of Drew's salary.

I know Cameron's defense is good, in fact, I suppose that you could argue that he'd be better in CF, with Rios moving back to RF.
Chicago would probably want some salary relief from Boston, if they took on Cameron's contract.

Either player could accomplish the following:
1) Fix our outfield defense.
2) Not involve any long term commitments.
3) Probably not require giving up any significant young talent.
4) Not cost any draft picks.
5) Get Draft pick when either one declines arbitration next year.
6) And lastly, move Pierre.:D:

I'd love this lineup:

CF Rios
3B Vizquel/Morel (Morel bats 9th when playing)
1B Konerko
DH Dunn
LF Quentin
RF Drew
SS Ramirez (Bats 2nd vs LHP)
C A.J.
2B Beckham

How likely is this scenario?

Zisk77
12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
The Red Sox will almost certainly look to trade either Cameron or Drew.
Their outfield is set with Crawford, Ellsbury, and either Drew or Cameron.

I suspect that they would like to move Drew because he has the bigger salary, and is another left handed hitter, in a lineup overweighted with left handed hitters.
That doesn't fit the prototypical Fenway Park line up.
Ellsbury, Crawford, A. Gonzales, and "Big Papi" are enough left handed bats, with Ryan Kalish waiting in the wings.
They don't need Drew.

Drew is only owed one year, but it's a big number; $14 million.
If the White Sox could unload both Pierre and Teahen (almost $10 million combined), they might be able to take on most of Drew's salary, with a little help from Boston.
If Pierre and Teahen could net a bullpen arm or two, that would be a bonus.

How good is Drew's defense?
Would Boston prefer to unload Cameron instead?
He is also owed just one year, but at only $7.25 million, which is just half of Drew's salary.

I know Cameron's defense is good, in fact, I suppose that you could argue that he'd be better in CF, with Rios moving back to RF.
Chicago would probably want some salary relief from Boston, if they took on Cameron's contract.

Either player could accomplish the following:
1) Fix our outfield defense.
2) Not involve any long term commitments.
3) Probably not require giving up any significant young talent.
4) Not cost any draft picks.
5) Get Draft pick when either one declines arbitration next year.
6) And lastly, move Pierre.:D:

I'd love this lineup:

CF Rios
3B Vizquel/Morel (Morel bats 9th when playing)
1B Konerko
DH Dunn
LF Quentin
RF Drew
SS Ramirez (Bats 2nd vs LHP)
C A.J.
2B Beckham

How likely is this scenario?

First, Boston would have to eat some of his salary.

Secondly, While Drew is a talent, he makes TCQ look like the paragon of health by comparison.

Third, who is our leadoff hitter then?

I'd pass on this notion.

I'd pass on this idea.

DumpJerry
12-09-2010, 07:26 AM
If the BoSox are willing to eat 95% of his salary, I would accept that Crawford kid. I hear he's a clubhouse cancer.

Lillian
12-09-2010, 07:35 AM
First, Boston would have to eat some of his salary.

Secondly, While Drew is a talent, he makes TCQ look like the paragon of health by comparison.

Third, who is our leadoff hitter then?

I'd pass on this notion.

I'd pass on this idea.

I agree with you regarding Boston having to "eat" some of Drew's salary, which I stated in my post.

So, Drew has a history of being injured a lot. I didn't know that.

Rios could lead off.

I really love Drew's OBP.
You didn't answer my question about Drew's defense. Is he a good right fielder? How is his arm?

If you would pass on Drew, what about Cameron, who is really more likely to be moved, anyway?

asindc
12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
I agree with you regarding Boston having to "eat" some of Drew's salary, which I stated in my post.

So, Drew has a history of being injured a lot. I didn't know that.

Rios could lead off.

I really love Drew's OBP.
You didn't answer my question about Drew's defense. Is he a good right fielder? How is his arm?

If you would pass on Drew, what about Cameron, who is really more likely to be moved, anyway?

1) Drew's defense is average, but he does have a plus arm.

2) I'd rather have Pierre than Cameron at this point, especially since Pierre is the better player now (I know you don't agree, but still) and he costs less.

3) Cameron is more likely to be moved since only a GM who is on an exceptional spending spree would take more than half of Drew's salary on given what he can give you at this point. And I think taking half of it is stretching it.

I would have preferred either Granderson or Gardner, but I hope that goes without saying. Having to choose between Drew and Cameron, I prefer Drew if Boston eats at least 60% of his salary. Otherwise, nope.

Lillian
12-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Well, someone will surely be leaving that crowded, and expensive outfield.
I just thought maybe there was a possible fit there for the Palehose, in that we could use a defensive upgrade.
Maybe not.

Red Barchetta
12-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't think we move Pierre who led the league in SBs last season and is a hard-working gamer. I like him.

TCQ and Teahen I believe are trade bait for the right combination. Throw in Floyd if we by some miracle land Cliff Lee (who is reviewing the Yankees proposal as we speak). Heck if we get Lee, Buehrle is even trade bait.

doublem23
12-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't think we move Pierre who led the league in SBs last season and is a hard-working gamer. I like him.

TCQ and Teahen I believe are trade bait for the right combination. Throw in Floyd if we by some miracle land Cliff Lee (who is reviewing the Yankees proposal as we speak). Heck if we get Lee, Buehrle is even trade bait.

Juan Pierre ran over the OP's dog or something...

cws05champ
12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
This is a horrible idea...who's to say they don't keep all their OF's? Cameron is versatile enough to play all positions and Drew is usually out for 1/4 of the season anyway. they both only have 1 year left on their deals so it's not a stretch for Boston to keep them. We don't need corner OF's that both have health issues (Drew, TCQ)...we need some consistency and a speed threat at the top with our boppers in the middle, which we already have.

And Boston doesn't have any relievers to trade, they are looking for BP help not looking to trade it.

spawn
12-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Juan Pierre ran over the OP's dog or something...

No kidding. I'm trying to understand why the OP keeps trying to convince us that Alex Rios is a leadoff hitter, but oh well.

BringHomeDaBacon
12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Drew and Quentin? That's 2/3 of the all china doll team OF. Maybe we should go ahead and trade Rios for Carlos Beltran while we're at it.

spawn
12-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Drew and Quentin? That's 2/3 of the all china doll team OF. Maybe we should go ahead and trade Rios for Carlos Beltran while we're at it.

OK...this made me laugh. :rolling:

Balfanman
12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Like Pierre or not he was very good defensively last season, other than his arm. An outfield of Quentin - LF, Rios - CF, & Drew - RF is not only worse defensively than last years, it is much more likely to be spending a lot of time on the DL. I'm not sure that it will wind up being any better offensively either.

No thank you.

russ99
12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I see the Red Sox holding on to Cameron, because they were so snakebit last season with OF injuries. It's not like they have any kind of budgetary limitations, obviously...

IMO, the move they'd be more apt to make is Kalish (who's now blocked) for a better setup man to replace Okajima.

Besides Juan Pierre's only getting $5M this year from us to lead off thanks to the Dodgers' generosity.

Even if the Red Sox take stupid pills and trade Drew for Pierre and Teahen, the money doesn't work out. Not to mention Rios at leadoff would be a waste.

Lillian
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Of course, the Red Sox would have no interest in Pierre or Teahen. I never suggested that.
My suggestion was to try to dump those two players elsewhere.

How anyone can argue that the offense of Quentin, Rios and Drew, would not be better than Pierre, Rios, and Quentin just baffles me.
J. D. Drew has a career OBP of .387 and a .500 slugging %.
To say Pierre, with his .341 OBP and his .316 slugging %, is a better offensive player is to be grossly over valuing stolen bases.

Look, let me try to explain one last time that I am not advocating Rios as a lead off hitter because I think that he is better in that role than Pierre.
My argument is that the Sox could benefit from an upgrade in their outfield defense. I know that Pierre had a surprisingly good defensive year last season, but when you combine his weak arm, and Quentin's eratic play in RF, that outfield is not good defensively.

Moreover, this team could use an outfielder with a lot better OBP.

Rios becomes my lead off guy, by default. If Pierre is replaced by a good outfielder with a high OBP, there wouldn't be any place for him on the starting team.

Unlike many here, I would not give up on Quentin, as he is the only current White Sox hitter who could likely provide protection for Dunn.
Who would you bat 5th if Quentin was traded?

If Drew is not going to be available, or would not be affordable, that's a legitimate point, but to reject the idea that the Sox should try to upgrade outfield defense and OBP as absurd is not a very tenable argument.

kittle42
12-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, sigh....yet another effort to get us all to send Juan Pierre to the showers. Especially effective is such an argument when OP admits to not having any knowledge of Drew's injury history (which anyone who pays decent attention to baseball knows about). This is not the first such argument in which OP has admitted to not really having any knowledge of players from other teams except for looking up stats.

Give up the anti-Pierre crusade.

russ99
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Of course, the Red Sox would have no interest in Pierre or Teahen. I never suggested that.
My suggestion was to try to dump those two players elsewhere.

How anyone can argue that the offense of Quentin, Rios and Drew, would not be better than Pierre, Rios, and Quentin just baffles me.
J. D. Drew has a career OBP of .387 and a .500 slugging %.
To say Pierre, with his .341 OBP and his .316 slugging %, is a better offensive player is to be grossly over valuing stolen bases.

Look, let me try to explain one last time that I am not advocating Rios as a lead off hitter because I think that he is better in that role than Pierre.
My argument is that the Sox could benefit from an upgrade in their outfield defense. I know that Pierre had a surprisingly good defensive year last season, but when you combine his weak arm, and Quentin's eratic play in RF, that outfield is not good defensively.

Moreover, this team could use an outfielder with a lot better OBP.

Rios becomes my lead off guy, by default. If Pierre is replaced by a good outfielder with a high OBP, there wouldn't be any place for him on the starting team.

Unlike many here, I would not give up on Quentin, as he is the only current White Sox hitter who could likely provide protection for Dunn.
Who would you bat 5th if Quentin was traded?

If Drew is not going to be available, or would not be affordable, that's a legitimate point, but to reject the idea that the Sox should try to upgrade outfield defense and OBP as absurd is not a very tenable argument.

The leadoff discussion is a good one, since it's doubtful Juan will be back after next year.

At that point, we'd need to figure out LF, since we could acquire a player for LF or RF, or try to move Viciedo's bat there.

The other part of the equasion is Quentin, if he has another subpar year he could be gone, if not, we need to find a place for him while Dunn and Konerko have 1B/DH tied up.

Mitchell may be ready by next spring, but then how do we fit Mitchell, Rios, Quentin and Viciedo into a crowded OF?

IMO, Rios' bat is better for us at #3 or #6. If we end up with an OF of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin in 2012, who leads off?

Could Beckham handle it? Maybe Alexei if he can somehow become even more patient at the plate?

ewokpelts
12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
pierre is somewhat cost controlled, as the dodgers threw money in his trade to the sox.

sides, why get rid of one of the few guys that was mostly consistent in 2010?

as for your initial post, i say neither. let the red sox choke on those contracts.

KMcMahon817
12-09-2010, 11:45 AM
This is the kind of **** we had to read all last offseason in regard to Juany. OBP and especially slugging percentage mean very little to Juany's game. The guy earned the right to have the fans respect in every aspect of his game (minus first month). Sox lose ten more games last season in my opinion if Pierre is not around and Rios leads off. Juan is a very important piece to a winning club, especially with the new middle of the SOX lineup.

Boondock Saint
12-09-2010, 11:50 AM
This is the kind of **** we had to read all last offseason in regard to Juany. OBP and especially slugging percentage mean very little to Juany's game. The guy earned the right to have the fans respect in every aspect of his game (minus first month). Sox lose ten more games last season in my opinion if Pierre is not around and Rios leads off. Juan is a very important piece to a winning club, especially with the new middle of the SOX lineup.

Also, Pierre's defense in LF was better than expected last year.

Zisk77
12-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Think od JD drew as Iron pyrate. It looks like gold, but is essentially worthless.

palehozenychicty
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I keep Pierre. If you can get Drew for little money, sure. We can use Q and Teahen for a reliever or somethin.

12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd rather take Bill Hall as a bench/utility guy. He was valuable for the Red Sox last year when their entire team went on the DL.

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I thought I heard on MLB Network (or maybe I read it here) that the Red Sox were looking to move to Ellsbury. I'd love to get him here, I don't know much about his defense, but if he could play center and you could move Rios over to right, that would be okay by me.

wulfy
12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Ellsbury is a better fit in the National League.

soxinem1
12-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Pierre is also durable.

I'd say 'None Of The Above' is my pick. Unless it is for Colby Rasmus, our OF is set.

Next stop: BULLPEN!!!

SoxFanEarl
12-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Teahen is not going anywhere unless we pay the majority of his contract to the assuming team....and that aint gonna happen. Pierre is just too valuable now. I am predicting a monster year for Pierre at the plate and on the base paths. With that lineup, pitchers can't afford to be too picky pitching to Pierre to keep him off the bases. And then when he gets on, they are going to be too consumed whats staring at them 60'6" away. What a fantastic problem to have!!!

TCQ, Teahen, and Floyd....and getting Lee?? That would be some stocking stuffer!!! But I think h*ll will freeze over, and global warming will go away before that happens. Also, the Sox are not ever ever ever going to entertain another long term contract for a pitcher....look at what happened with Peavy....and they were always afraid to give out long term contracts to pitchers. Lets just hope that some American League team is in dire need of a DH...and Teahen comes up on their radar. Heck, I think there are quite a few of us Sox fans that would buck up to pay Teahen's way outta town! :D

hawkjt
12-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Clearly, the Red Sox have a surplus of outfielders,but Drew is a china doll,so I say pass.

As has been said,Juany had a very solid year,and I like him in the lead-off spot. Very hard worker,consistent,and great clubhouse guy. Quiet leader type. Leave Juan alone!!

Thome25
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't want any Boston outfielder whether we trade CQ or not.