PDA

View Full Version : Plan F: Fielder that is.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I posted this in the first Konerko thread. Figured it deserved its own pending on what Heyman is saying

#brewers (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23brewers) resigned they cant sign prince longerm. fielded calls from #chisox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23chisox), #dodgers (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23dodgers), #rangers (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23rangers), others. gauging the market 33 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/12261454858162176) via web Retweeted by 12 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)

It could be that he's saying the Sox have called the Brewers back about Prince. Or he could just be restating the fact that the Sox had called Milwaukee, which they did prior to signing Dunn.

Sargeant79
12-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I love Fielder's bat, but I'm not sure he is a viable option now. That would mean two left handed 1B/DH guys. Don't get me wrong, I would take it...but it doesn't seem to make sense from the standpoint of constructing your everyday lineup.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I love Fielder's bat, but I'm not sure he is a viable option now. That would mean two left handed 1B/DH guys. Don't get me wrong, I would take it...but it doesn't seem to make sense from the standpoint of constructing your everyday lineup.

From an offensive standpoint, it's pretty damn good. Gives the Sox two guys who are a pretty good bet to hit around 40 HR and drive in 100.

whitesoxfan1986
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Who cares, you could potentially have 2 guys in your lineup give you 90 HR and 200 RBI. Who gives a **** if they're both left handed.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Who cares, you could potentially have 2 guys in your lineup give you 90 HR and 200 RBI. Who gives a **** if they're both left handed.

I think the concern is that neither are very good at 1B.

12-07-2010, 05:35 PM

I think that the offensive production that they would bring would negate the lack of defense they have.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I think that the offensive production that they would bring would negate the lack of defense they have.

I agree. I don't think Prince is THAT terrible at 1B. Looking at Paulie, he wasn't necessarily Derek Lee over there.

BadBobbyJenks
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Oi, we finally got a left handed power bat and now having 2 would be a problem?

whitesoxfan1986
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
While true the 40/100 outweighs that. If you could have 2 guys who are almost sure bets for 40/100, but neither of them could play defense worth a lick, and at that they both play the least demanding defensive position, and on any given day you could stick either of them at DH, why does it matter? Is defense at 1B, besides picking the ball out of the dirt, really that important when that guy hits 40 HR and drives in 100?

Sargeant79
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Not saying "Don't do it, bad idea". I'm saying, it just seems an odd way to construct a team. And yes, the defensive part is a concern because they are both really DHs.

That said, I would take the offensive production in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to deplete the rotation and give up Floyd for a guy who would only be here 1 year though, and I doubt we have the prospects to entice the Brewers to pull the trigger otherwise.

SoxSpeed22
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Any package will have to start with Floyd or Danks. The only problems I have with it are what will that do for the pitching staff and if we can keep Fielder. I would love to see it, but I think whoever gets him will overpay.

asindc
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
If we could get the Fresh Prince of the Brewers without giving up any starting pitching, Beckham, or Alexei, I'm good with it.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
If we could get the Fresh Prince of the Brewers without giving up any starting pitching, Beckham, or Alexei, I'm good with it.

That, I don't think is a possibility.

Sargeant79
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
While true the 40/100 outweighs that. If you could have 2 guys who are almost sure bets for 40/100, but neither of them could play defense worth a lick, and at that they both play the least demanding defensive position, and on any given day you could stick either of them at DH, why does it matter? Is defense at 1B, besides picking the ball out of the dirt, really that important when that guy hits 40 HR and drives in 100?

Yes it is. Having a bad defensive first baseman can make your entire infield defense bad. Konerko has saved the Sox multiple outs per game with his glove over the years.

asindc
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
That, I don't think is a possibility.

I don't either, but I'm guessing that KW wants to give PK that impression.

BringHomeDaBacon
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
People are worried about Fielder's defense? Gimme a ****ing break.

Besides, after a couple of months listening to Hawk and you'll think he's great. Just like you think Paulie's a great defender and AJ's a great baserunner.

Also, if they offered Beckham for Adrian Gonzalez they may make a similar offer to the Brew Crew.

Sargeant79
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
People are worried about Fielder's defense? Gimme a ****ing break.

I worry about everyone's defense who is on the field. Certain players can offset it to varying degrees by what they bring to the table offensively. Obviously, Fielder's fielding woes can be forgiven to some extent, but ideally he is a DH. My only point was that we just went out and signed the exact same guy a week ago, so we would have two DHs masquerading as First Baseman.

Also, if they offered Beckham for Adrian Gonzalez they may make a similar offer to the Brew Crew.

They might, but I don't think that would be a good idea unless they sign Fielder to an extension, which they won't .

Domeshot17
12-07-2010, 06:38 PM
First base defense is highly overrated. If you have a bad defensive 1b who can't hit okay, but Prince Fielder hasn't hurt the Brewers at all at first. Who is going to have a better career, Prince, or Doug Mankiewitcz? Or Dunn or JT Snow?

whitesoxfan1986
12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
First base defense is highly overrated. If you have a bad defensive 1b who can't hit okay, but Prince Fielder hasn't hurt the Brewers at all at first. Who is going to have a better career, Prince, or Doug Mankiewitcz? Or Dunn or JT Snow?
Thank you. 1B is the most offensive position of all offensive positions on the baseball diamond. If you can't hit for power and drive in runs, you don't stick, no matter how good you are at defense.

Daver
12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you. 1B is the most offensive position of all offensive positions on the baseball diamond. If you can't hit for power and drive in runs, you don't stick, no matter how good you are at defense.

Mark Grace?

soltrain21
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Mark Grace?

Doug Miekn what's his face.

Foulke You
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Mark Grace?
Lyle Overbay has stuck around for a while too and he isn't a big time power bat.

whitesoxfan1986
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Mark Grace?
Well wasn't he an incredible hitter for average? He was already on the Diamondbacks before I started watching baseball seriously. I guess incredible average hitters are an exception to the rule.

Domeshot17
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Lyle Overbay has stuck around for a while too and he isn't a big time power bat.

Overbay has to play a lot of OF now because his bat can't plat at first. Terrible Example.

Daver
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM

How many error does Alexei have with Dunn playing first?

Domeshot17
12-07-2010, 06:58 PM

I don't think it really adds that many more. We are talking about major league first basemen, most can pick it. We aren't talking about a defense first position. If Dunn or Fielder costs the Sox 5 runs over a season because of missed throws versus a Derek Lee but drive in 25-30 more runs, its a big big positive.

Sargeant79
12-07-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm not saying don't get Fielder if you have the opportunity to do so without significantly weakening the rotation. But we're going to have to agree to disagree on the importance of first base defense.

Exactly.

Domeshot17
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
At some point you have to have someone who can drive in runs. You guys make it sound as if Dunn or Fielder can't scoop balls out of the dirt. I don't think you realize that any decent division 2 college firstbaseman can scoop most throws out of the dirt. Prince isn't a bad defensive 1b at all. People think because he is a fat guy he must suck and he has really good hands at first. His range is limited, he doesn't move left to right well, but I don't think we would even notice the difference.

Noneck
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM

I remember how the other a. ramirez turned into adequate fielder from being a butcher, when D. Lee came to cubs. Dunn would have the opposite effect on Alexei, not to a butcher but to the point that he would never be in consideration for a gold glove. (yea I know he probably wont anyway, as long as jeter is around)

One of my favorite 1st baseman was Jim Spencer, he was a great defensive 1st baseman and sort of a banjo hitter but had a 15 year career. Defense at 1st does matter, well actually defense all over does really matter.

BringHomeDaBacon
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Lyle Overbay? Jim Spencer?

What's the point? That we should have Ross Gload play first?

TheVulture
12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Of course 1st base isn't a defense first position - that doesn't mean bad defense there won't hurt you. Any position on the field can give up runs with bad defense.

NardiWasHere
12-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Where the hell am I?

This thread makes no sense on many levels...

Prince Fielder's defense is a non-issue. Worrying about that is like a starving person going to a restaurant to nourish themselves but not ordering a sandwich because they are concerned about the calories from the mayo.

Also, I doubt we'd ever get Prince. He's a Boras client. In order to give up what is necessary to acquire him, we'd want to extend him. Don't all Boras clients decline that?

Mark Grace didn't hit for power, but the dude could still hit.

Lyle Overbay sucked.

getonbckthr
12-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Some people in this thread make me think Doug Mienkiewitz is the best 1B ever.