PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank at Soxfest

salty99
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
FOR the low price of $275 on top of the Soxfest pass and hotel cost and only on a photo provided by the Sox.

Boondock Saint
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
FOR the low price of $275 on top of the Soxfest pass and hotel cost and only on a photo provided by the Sox.

:rolling:

Hahahaha... **** that noise. What a ripoff.

salty99
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes the MVP passes for other autograph sessions and all that jazz are also included.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
FOR the low price of $275 on top of the Soxfest pass and hotel cost and only on a photo provided by the Sox.he may have an autograph contract that only allows the sox to have him like this.

salty99
12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
he may have an autograph contract that only allows the sox to have him like this.

Yes I'm sure he does.

salty99
12-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Mark Buehrle, Mark Teahan, Ramon Castro, Morel, Santos, Walker, Nieves, and Cox also added to the list.

Nelfox02
12-07-2010, 12:23 PM
not exactly what I had in mind for him being there, but at least he will be there

I wonder what the pic is? I wish there was a way to see it before agreeing to pay the fee for this

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
just went to www.whitesox.com/soxfest (http://www.whitesox.com/soxfest) and sure enough, it mentions that he has a contract with an autograph house. so this package is his way of being at soxfest and signing for the fans.

not a bad package, when you realize you get 3 premium autographs, and the various other perks.,

salty99
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
just went to www.whitesox.com/soxfest (http://www.whitesox.com/soxfest) and sure enough, it mentions that he has a contract with an autograph house. so this package is his way of being at soxfest and signing for the fans.

not a bad package, when you realize you get 3 premium autographs, and the various other perks.,

Mark Buehrle, Carlos Quentin, and Dye in the past all had contracts and they signed without an added fee. The 3 premium autographs really don't mean much beacuse you can get those without an MVP pass anyway. I do wonder what this extra seminar is going to be.

Nelfox02
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I figured if he did show you would have the usual stuff like "no inscriptions/no 500 HR items/etc

but to not be able to sign anything except a photo they are handing out (again wish I could see this photo in advance) is a bit surprising to me

shenk16
12-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I would agree that it isn't quite worth it. I'll take my chance getting Big Frank at spring training or elsewhere.

Standing Ovation
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
What a slap in the face. They're better off not even having him there. Its supposed to be a fan friendly event. The package is just a bunch of crap they threw together to try to make it seem attractive. And to not even give you the choice of what to get signed? Wow. Add that $275 into the weekend room/passes/parking prices and you're better off flying to AZ for spring training. Sun, warmth, live baseball, free autographs vs. lines, Palmer House and snow. Easy choice.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Mark Buehrle, Carlos Quentin, and Dye in the past all had contracts and they signed without an added fee. The 3 premium autographs really don't mean much beacuse you can get those without an MVP pass anyway. I do wonder what this extra seminar is going to be.buehrle wont sign "perfect game" or "no hitter" on his stuff.

frank's on a different level than quentin or dye. future hall of famers can and will get paid more for thier exclusive rights being sold to steiner, tri-star or mounted memories.

also, soxfest has insanely long lines for autographs. being guranteed frank and two "premium" players(guys like thome, dunn, buehrle, konerko) is a good deal considering you get better chances at other players.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
What a slap in the face. They're better off not even having him there. Its supposed to be a fan friendly event. The package is just a bunch of crap they threw together to try to make it seem attractive. And to not even give you the choice of what to get signed? Wow. Add that $275 into the weekend room/passes/parking prices and you're better off flying to AZ for spring training. Sun, warmth, live baseball, free autographs vs. lines, Palmer House and snow. Easy choice.aside from frank, the mvp pass has been around since 2008. and it sell.s you be suprised how many familes take part in this.

salty99
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
buehrle wont sign "perfect game" or "no hitter" on his stuff.

frank's on a different level than quentin or dye. future hall of famers can and will get paid more for thier exclusive rights being sold to steiner, tri-star or mounted memories.

also, soxfest has insanely long lines for autographs. being guranteed frank and two "premium" players(guys like thome, dunn, buehrle, konerko) is a good deal considering you get better chances at other players.

have you been there lately? I have gotten 99% of the players there including the premium guys without an MVP pass.

eriqjaffe
12-07-2010, 01:24 PM
also, soxfest has insanely long lines for autographs. being guranteed frank and two "premium" players(guys like thome, dunn, buehrle, konerko) is a good deal considering you get better chances at other players.I bet the line for Teahen will be the longest.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
have you been there lately? I have gotten 99% of the players there including the premium guys without an MVP pass.ok. but how many hours have you wasted getting them sitting in a line so that you can get a wristband to stand...ina line.

and hopw many guys did you buymrush by the hotel exit for an autograph as he's heading out to eat/drink?

and of course, my old favorite. the kid goin in line at a seminar, just to ask for player x's autograph.

crap gets old after a while.

i'm not really talking about you, but bringing up the crap i dont like about auto hounds @ soxfest.

i have gotten a lot of items through ebay. certified auto cards of current and former players. I got a konerko auto for 4 bucks. SHIPPING included. in 2009.

salty99
12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
ok. but how many hours have you wasted getting them sitting in a line so that you can get a wristband to stand...ina line.

and hopw many guys did you buymrush by the hotel exit for an autograph as he's heading out to eat/drink?

and of course, my old favorite. the kid goin in line at a seminar, just to ask for player x's autograph.

crap gets old after a while.

i'm not really talking about you, but bringing up the crap i dont like about auto hounds @ soxfest.

i have gotten a lot of items through ebay. certified auto cards of current and former players. I got a konerko auto for 4 bucks. SHIPPING included. in 2009.

Yes but you still didn't answer when the last time you were there. Actually I haven't heard the kid asking for a graph thing in a couple years now.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes but you still didn't answer when the last time you were there. Actually I haven't heard the kid asking for a graph thing in a couple years now.i was there in 2010. as well as every year since 2001.

the kid scam was last seen in 2009. I may not have been at a seminar in 2010 where it happened.
the bum-rush the stage 2.1 seconds after the seminar thing still happened.

i stopped waiting in line for autos a long time ago. again, it's cheaper to seek the autos on thie rown.

salty99
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
i was there in 2010. as well as every year since 2001.

the kid scam was last seen in 2009. I may not have been at a seminar in 2010 where it happened.
the bum-rush the stage 2.1 seconds after the seminar thing still happened.

i stopped waiting in line for autos a long time ago. again, it's cheaper to seek the autos on thie rown.

OK, but signed certified cards off e-bay or wherever hold no interest for me personally.

ewokpelts
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
OK, but signed certified cards off e-bay or wherever hold no interest for me personally.my free time is worth a lot to me. especially since i would be taking off work to go to soxfest.

salty99
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
my free time is worth a lot to me. especially since i would be taking off work to go to soxfest.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them per say, just not my cup of tea.

soxinem1
12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
have you been there lately? I have gotten 99% of the players there including the premium guys without an MVP pass.

I always refused to wait in lines for autographs when I went.

In 2005 we got AJ, PK, Dye, Goose Gossage, and others just by walking up to them when they got done with the seminars.

And for $275 a person, I'd just as soon go to Arizona with NO LINES for autographs from not just White Sox players, but other big leaguers as well, if that is your thing.

It is amazing how corporate this has become. The fun has all but evaporated.

If I can walk up to Ferguson Jenkins and get his autograph for free at the Taste of Chicago, to hell with ever paying for them, especially with restrictions on what type of souvenirs they can sign.

Nelfox02
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I am just surprised that he wont sign anything, other than a generic issued 8 x 10.......like I posted earlier I expected no 500 HR stuff/inscript, maybe no jerseys and large flats.....but to not only restrict the item but use Frank to boost the sales of the MVP pass? sucks

I talked to a few contacts with the Sox today, they basically told me that the issued picture will be an "action shot of Frank from his playing days" they were unwilling/unable to give me any other detail, I asked if those details would be available by Monday (when the package goes on sale) and they just repeated the action shot line....I dont see how anyone would be willing to plunk down 275 w/o knowing exactly what they are getting singed

I guess I credit the sox for at least making this info known well in advance, in the past their approach was to wait until the last minute to spring this type of **** on you...

We Treat'em
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I forked over for the VIP in 2006 my premiums Konerko :D: and Javier VasqueZ :mad: IMO not worth the extra dough got everyone I wanted (Buehrle post PG, Thome, JD) I've got to admit I'm kinda disappointed Big Frank isn't more accessible, but what ya gonna do ?

BainesHOF
12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
What a slap in the face. They're better off not even having him there.

Exactly.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Sox need to make money somehow after this offseason. I don't see anything wrong with this. I won't pay for it, but I know other fans will.

Nelfox02
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Sox need to make money somehow after this offseason. I don't see anything wrong with this. I won't pay for it, but I know other fans will.

From everything I have ever heard regarding Sox Fest, all proceeds go to White Sox Charities

I am VERY curious to see how many people shell out for the Big Hurt VIP......I am going to assume quite a few.....

ChiSoxGirl
12-13-2010, 07:43 AM
From everything I have ever heard regarding Sox Fest, all proceeds go to White Sox Charities

I am VERY curious to see how many people shell out for the Big Hurt VIP......I am going to assume quite a few.....

Well, you can count me among those SoxFest attendees who will not be participating in this VIP experience. As much as I'd love to finally get to meet Frank Thomas after all these years, $275 is way too steep for me. I'm having a hard enough time scraping together the cash to attend SoxFest alone; I can't double the amount of money needed to also meet the Big Hurt that weekend. However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if my roommate for that weekend participates in this, and that'd be fine with me.

ewokpelts
12-13-2010, 10:07 AM

not so. "some" proceeds go to CWS Charities.

yazz32
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I am curious if anyone in WSI bought this already or not. The link seemed broken. I'm on the fence on this but just wanted to see after all the taxes
what the damage would be...

HomeFish
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
buehrle wont sign "perfect game" or "no hitter" on his stuff

Will he sign a ticket stub from his perfect game?

Nelfox02
12-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Will he sign a ticket stub from his perfect game?

probably, yes

last year, despite some posted restrictions, he singed anything PG related, just would not inscribe

this year at Picnic in the Park he was insisting on personlizing PG items....but I saw some people where he did not do that....no idea what his position will be at Sox Fest.....

salty99
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
probably, yes

last year, despite some posted restrictions, he singed anything PG related, just would not inscribe

this year at Picnic in the Park he was insisting on personlizing PG items....but I saw some people where he did not do that....no idea what his position will be at Sox Fest.....

He didn't personalize anything on fan appreciation day.

HomeFish
12-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

The "July 23, 2009, Sox v. Tampa" printed on the ticket is all the inscription I need. And I can't imagine anyone has a problem with players wanting to make sure that their autograph is for a fan and not for immediate resale.

TheCommander
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
probably, yes

Why was he burning people's items? :D:

Nelson Foxtrot
12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I think the other extras must be a huge factor in the price. Frank did a signing at the Sun-Times Sports Collectibles Convention back on November 20th in Rosemont. In addition to the $10 daily admission, here were the fees:

FRANK THOMAS (11:30am-1pm)
"The Big Hurt" - 93'94 AL MVP
*Courtesy of MAB Celebrity Services
Flats/Balls/Equip - $89
Bats/Jerseys/500 HR Items - $139
Inscriptions - $29
PHOTO-OP - $149

MARTINMVP
12-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Last year after Sox Fest finished, I vowed that I would go to my first this winter.

Maybe next year...

ewokpelts
12-14-2010, 09:24 AM
probably, yes

this year at Picnic in the Park he was insisting on personlizing PG items....but I saw some people where he did not do that....no idea what his position will be at Sox Fest.....personalizing and inscriptions are two different things. at lest in autographs.

personalize: "to joe, Mark Buehrle"

inscriptions: : "Mark Buehrle PG 7/23/09"

ewokpelts
12-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I think the other extras must be a huge factor in the price. Frank did a signing at the Sun-Times Sports Collectibles Convention back on November 20th in Rosemont. In addition to the $10 daily admission, here were the fees:

FRANK THOMAS (11:30am-1pm)
"The Big Hurt" - 93'94 AL MVP
*Courtesy of MAB Celebrity Services
Flats/Balls/Equip - $89
Bats/Jerseys/500 HR Items - $139
Inscriptions - $29
PHOTO-OP - $149
BINGO!

He has an autograph contract that is worth a lot of money. His Soxfest AUTOGRAPH appearnace was structured so that it dosent affect his convnetion price. He of course will ber at Soxfest anyways, as a member of the CSN teams, and as a Sox Ambassador.
I know the arrangement sucks for some, but it could be worse. He could pull a sosa and not show up to fan events(unless contractually obliged)

ewokpelts
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info.

The "July 23, 2009, Sox v. Tampa" printed on the ticket is all the inscription I need. And I can't imagine anyone has a problem with players wanting to make sure that their autograph is for a fan and not for immediate resale.well, the fact that buehlre is gettign paid by a third party a hefty sum to inscribe autograph photos for them plays a big role.

ewokpelts
12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Last year after Sox Fest finished, I vowed that I would go to my first this winter.

Maybe next year...
you can still get soxfest tickets for $35 for a one day pass.