PDA

View Full Version : Is Frank the answer??

Paulwny
08-06-2001, 07:38 AM
With the total lack of basic baseball, advancing base runners, going deep into the count, how or who will change the batters attitudes? We all think the offense will improve with Big Frank back next year but how many RBI's will he have if no one is on base?

JM or somebody or something must penetrate into the player's minds and emphasize the importance of situational hitting or next year's offense will be as anemic as this years.

This anemia started at the end of last season, through the play-offs and continued this year. This team still has ~ 8 weeks to get the offense in sync if it doesn't I'm not optimistic about next year.

I don't think one man (Frank) is the total answer and I don't know what the answer is to change the mind set of the players.

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 07:53 AM
I think that the team feeds off Frank, when he is rolling the team is as well. If you look at the Seattle series last year Frank admitted his swing was messed up because he was trying to hit homers to catch Glaus for the AL Homerun crown. And in turn the rest of the team tried to pick him up and looked to fall into the same habit of trying to hit a homer every time they were batting (Ray Durham). I agree that this team needs to learn how to walk and get on base more often. And putting a stop to the dumbass base running would be nice to. I think with Frank back the offense will improve because Frank takes a ton of pitches and he walks which helps the guys behind him.

delben91
08-06-2001, 07:59 AM
I think with Frank back the offense will improve because Frank takes a ton of pitches and he walks which helps the guys behind him.

Yeah, Frank is the guy everyone else takes their cue from. With him back, Maggs, Carlos, Paul, etc won't feel as much pressure. Also, I think if Rowand can keep up his current pace, or even something mildly comperable to it, his OBP will be a big jump from Singleton's. So the offense will definately improve with Frank back, the question is how much. If our young pitching keeps coming along as it is, I'm pretty comfortable with where we are. Though I can't say I'd argue with another bat, maybe a leadoff guy.....

Paulwny
08-06-2001, 08:03 AM
I agree, the team feeds off Frank but which Frank will return? It's time these guys learned fundamental baseball and remember what they were doing last year when they had big innings without having to hit the long ball.

harwar
08-06-2001, 09:56 AM
In my humble opinion,one thing is for sure.Next year we get a BIG HURT back with a new & improved attitude(a whole year away from the game can do that for a guy).What concerns me is WILL he be able to hit?A whole year off,with a major injury and hes'what 34 years old?Man,i always loved the guy(was totally bummed when people at comiskey booed him).And although we should have a solid pitching staff,i believe we sink or swim next year by what big frank does.

Bmr31
08-06-2001, 10:37 AM
This may sound crazy but i say trade big frank. The core of the team is much younger than he is, and we have a surplus of 1B/DH, type players. If we could get a solid catcher and or leadoff hitter for frank, id deal him.

voodoochile
08-06-2001, 10:44 AM
That better be one heck of a Catcher AND a topnotch leadoff hitter. Frank makes the whole team better, because no one wants to pitch to Maggs, Carlos and Paulie with men on base consistently. Frank in the 3 hole causes Ray and the #2 hitter to get way more fastballs, and when they reach base then the other pitcher HAS to pitch to Frank, a man who has over 70 career 1st inning HR's to his name and the whole thing snowballs. Trade Frank? It would have to be one heck of a deal...

Also, remember, as a 10-5 man, Frank can refuse any trade, of course JR could counter by invoking the diminished skills clause in his contract and forcing Frank to seek alternative employment, but then The Sox would not only lose the best bat in their lineup, but would tick off the only shoe in HOF'er on the team, and JR is very conscious of his image these days...

Bmr31
08-06-2001, 10:47 AM
VOODOO, i love frank and we would have to get a lot for him before id be willing to deal him. The basis of my statement is, its going to be a few years before the sox are ready to win it all, because of their youth. By that time, frank will be around 37. Id look to deal him now, for younger talent.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2001, 11:11 AM
You never get equivalent value for a player like Frank Thomas. Sure, Seattle appears to have done well in spite of losing several superstars, but they've added superstars too, starting with Ichiro.

I would be far quicker to pull the trigger on trading guys like Konerko, Liefer, or Lee than I would Frank Thomas.

BTW, if Singleton is signaling that another team has offered a trade to the Sox and that team is offering something of value, I say ship him out as soon as possible. Singleton is a #4 outfielder and those guys come a dime a dozen. Especially #4 outfielders with holes in their swings as bad as Chris's.

"Mr. Borchard, your table is nearly ready."

voodoochile
08-06-2001, 11:14 AM
I don't think it weill take that long. Or at most two years before the Sox are ready to compete for the pennant and beyond. This team has gained a ton of experience and has learned how to fight and win under adverse circumstances, we just don't have the horses and experience to get it done this year. They may be as little as a veteran starter from being ready to play for the pennant next year (supposing Frank comes back and is up to form). Talent is in line, no waiting, let's get busy and grab the division by the throat. Next few years it is all about the Sox and Twins and it will be soooo sweet to see the Toons fall apart or get dismantled... I will be *****...

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
BTW, if Singleton is signaling that another team has offered a trade to the Sox and that team is offering something of value, I say ship him out as soon as possible. Singleton is a #4 outfielder and those guys come a dime a dozen. Especially #4 outfielders with holes in their swings as bad as Chris's.

:gun
Hello remember me?