PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye

Taliesinrk
12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to this (w/ 100% confidence), but is there any chance (I'm talking "Dumb and Dumber" odds here) that the Sox could bring back JD (perhaps maybe if Andruw Jones walks - even though JD can't play CF)?

I really think he's going to have a productive year (not monstrous) and with Quentin's injury concerns, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to consider dealing Quentin for a solid 3B and/or RP and sign Dye. I realize this will never happen and I'm not even hoping it will, but I guess this post is mostly about me not completely understanding why the Sox let Dye go after a couple bad months. While he's only getting older, I predict a solid season from Dye... I think having an entire season off at his age will be undervalued when considering how much his health will benefit. How it affects his timing/hitting remains to be seen, but Dye is a solid hitter, and I have faith he'll be able to get back in a groove... with the Sox, it always seemed to be his bat speed/health that was the concern.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Cmon' Man!

Taliesinrk
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Cmon' Man!

Yeah I know - I hope it doesn't turn into those responses (although I know I would've put something similar). I merely wanted to start a thread to talk about the fact that I think Dye will have a major league job this season, and that whoever signs him is going to get a good return on him. But since there's no news on him, I didn't know how to start it.

chisoxjtrain
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Cmon' Man!

Agreed

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I just don't see him getting a contract. He is now a year removed from the game. I'd feel bad for him, but he really brought this upon himself with his demands. He wanted to play for a contender and wanted far more money than he deserved.

It's crazy he went from taking a reduced contract from us to ending with him complaining about Alex Rios and then going into free agency with ridiculous demands after an AWFUL second half

Taliesinrk
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I just don't see him getting a contract. He is now a year removed from the game. I'd feel bad for him, but he really brought this upon himself with his demands. He wanted to play for a contender and wanted far more money than he deserved.

It's crazy he went from taking a reduced contract from us to ending with him complaining about Alex Rios and then going into free agency with ridiculous demands after an AWFUL second half

I hear you, but from what I've read/heard, that seems to be his former attitude. It sounds like he's had a change of heart and is telling people money isn't the factor now. It's hard to know what to trust, but I see this as being plausible - a 37 year-old realizing it may be his last shot, and just wants to play for a contender (I'd hope he's earned enough money over his career).

If you consider him also saying he'd play 1B now (and I'd imagine be open to full-time DH), you have to think his health would be better suited over the course of a full season.

The Dude
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
no

beasly213
12-08-2010, 03:25 PM
No...Andruw Jones can play the OF. JD can't.

Taliesinrk
12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
JD can hit for a full season... Jones can't. If the Sox felt that they had to deal Quentin for relievers, I would think a Jones/Dye signing would make sense. Unfortunately, they're both RH-hitters, but Jones's ability to play all OF positions and the fact that it would allow for both to get rest actually makes a lot of sense.

I would probably rather see Quentin on the team, but at the moment, the BP is awfully scary (both because a lack of total arms, as well as no proven closer).

soltrain21
12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
JD can hit for a full season... Jones can't. If the Sox felt that they had to deal Quentin for relievers, I would think a Jones/Dye signing would make sense. Unfortunately, they're both RH-hitters, but Jones's ability to play all OF positions and the fact that it would allow for both to get rest actually makes a lot of sense.

I would probably rather see Quentin on the team, but at the moment, the BP is awfully scary (both because a lack of total arms, as well as no proven closer).

JD can? He didn't the last time we saw him, and that was BEFORE he took a year off from baseball.

Chez
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Realistically, I expect the Sox to fill the 4th OF spot with someone at or near the MLB minimum salary. I think A. Jones/Boras will be able to command more than that from another team. Given that both Dunn and Teahen can play the corners (albeit not well), our 4th OF has to be able to play CF. Jones is a good fit, but probably out of the Sox price range.

The Immigrant
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
JD can hit for a full season...

C'mon Man!