PDA

View Full Version : Former Blue Jays GM Pat Gillick elected to the Hall of Fame

PKalltheway
12-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Congrats to Gillick, a well-deserved honor. Won three titles as a GM, including two with Toronto and one with Philly.

I also found it interesting that Marvin Miller (the former leader of the players' association) fell one vote short, despite him requesting to not be on the ballot. George Steinbrenner also missed getting elected to the Hall as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof11/news/story?id=5890610

Oblong
12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Steinbrenner will be an interesting topic over the years considering he's been banned from baseball twice.

Viva Medias B's
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
For those of you wondering if Ron Santo missed this one, his group is slated for selection in 2011.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Marvin Miller's response: "A long time ago, it became apparent that the Hall sought to bury me long before my time, as a metaphor for burying the union and eradicating its real influence. Its failure is exemplified by the fact that I and the union of players have received far more support, publicity, and appreciation from countless fans, former players, writers, scholars, experts in labor management relations, than if the Hall had not embarked on its futile and fraudulent attempt to rewrite history. It is an amusing anomaly that the Hall of Fame has made me famous by keeping me out."

Regardless of what you think of him personally his impact on the game was far more profound that Gillick, Steinbrenner or anybody else on the ballot.

Lip

Fenway
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Gillick got one my votes in the WSI poll

Gammons on NESN says Miller not getting in is a disgrace.

Steinbrenner lack of support is a mild surprise but the man responsible for making NYY great isn't in either - Jacob Ruppert

Tom Yawkey only got in as his widow paid for the HoF's addition.