PDA

View Full Version : Brewers acquire Shawn Marcum

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/brewers-acquire-shaun-marcum.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Good acquisition.

Pablo_Honey
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Wow, this deal could turn out UGLY for the Brewers. Marcum can't stay healthy at all and his throwing motion really isn't helping with that. I'm surprised that Anthopoulos pried away Lawrie with Marcum. Great trade for the Jays, who needs more bona-fide bats in their system.

chunk
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
If the Jays got Lawrie +, they officially got a better deal than the Padres did for Gonzalez.

palehozenychicty
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I think the Jays win this joust. Even if Laurie doesn't develop into a second baseman, he could play somewhere in the diamond. The jury is out on Lind and Hill. Marcum had a solid year in '10, but he's not durable.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I think the Jays win this joust. Even if Laurie doesn't develop into a second baseman, he could play somewhere in the diamond. The jury is out on Lind and Hill. Marcum had a solid year in '10, but he's not durable.

Easily. Lawrie was a guy i have been following since the brewers drafted him. He's a 20 year old(turns 21 in January) who had a .797 OPS in AA last year. He was supposed to start in AAA next year, and i thought would replace Rickie Weeks at 2nd after next year. However, this trade signals that the brewers must be close to an extension with weeks(or they better be), or else there is no reason to trade his replacement. To get a sub 4 ERA pitcher out of the AL, even with the injuries, will help the brewers big time.

Still, i'm just happy it wasn't one of the brewers pitching prospects, as Milwaukee has seemingly been able to develop hitting prospects at will under Melvin.

Foulke You
12-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Marcum is a solid pitcher and the Brewers needed starting pitching BADLY. I could see Marcum "Hulking up" in the NL Central if he stays healthy. I don't know the prospect well enough to comment but sometimes you need to part with a good prospect to get something in return. If the Brewers add one more solid starter to go with Gallardo, Marcum, and Wolf, they could be right in the thick of the NL Central race.

chunk
12-06-2010, 12:46 AM
It's interesting to note that AA really wanted to draft Lawrie but he was taken one pick before AA could get him. Seems AA is to prospects that KW is to old vets.

SoxNation05
12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know if it will be better for the Brewers, but with their rotation after Gallardo... A sub 4 ERA in the AL will fit in great.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Marcum is a solid pitcher and the Brewers needed starting pitching BADLY. I could see Marcum "Hulking up" in the NL Central if he stays healthy. I don't know the prospect well enough to comment but sometimes you need to part with a good prospect to get something in return. If the Brewers add one more solid starter to go with Gallardo, Marcum, and Wolf, they could be right in the thick of the NL Central race.

The Brewers have some very good minor leaguers who could be ready by mid season, but i'd prefer to let them get AAA experience til september. However, you make a great point. As a #2, Wolf was horrible. However, having a guy around 4 ERA as a #3 guy isn't that bad. One or two more pieces and this could be a decent team again.

Foulke You
12-06-2010, 01:24 AM
The Brewers have some very good minor leaguers who could be ready by mid season, but i'd prefer to let them get AAA experience til september. However, you make a great point. As a #2, Wolf was horrible. However, having a guy around 4 ERA as a #3 guy isn't that bad. One or two more pieces and this could be a decent team again.
The Reds showed last year that you don't need an embarrassment of pitching riches to win the NL Central, you just need to have a decent rotation to go with your offense. Could the Brewers win a World Series with one more pitcher? Probably not. However, I could definitely see them being good enough to win the Central.

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Really like the Lawrie pick up by Toronto. Not a huge Marcum fan though.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Wonder what this means we could try Floyd for? Jays got a pretty nice haul.

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Wonder what this means we could try Floyd for? Jays got a pretty nice haul.

That's what I was thinking.

Maybe Floyd plus a minor leaguer is closer to landing Rasmus than we think!

Who's up for Floyd + Quentin for Rasmus, then take the money saved and sign Cliff Lee??

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
That's what I was thinking.
Who's up for Floyd + Quentin for Rasmus, then take the money saved and sign Cliff Lee??

So which of Quentin/Holliday/Berkman will be playing CF for the Cards?

ComiskeyBrewer
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Doug Melvin said today that this was the "first step" in improving the starting pitching. I expect at least one more move(trade or signing).