PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal speculates Sox may be a dark horse for Cliff Lee

Rockabilly
12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Cliff-Lee-free-agent-could-have-surprise-teams-after-him-this-offseason-120410

I believe KW was after Lee last season.

spawn
12-05-2010, 12:34 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Cliff-Lee-free-agent-could-have-surprise-teams-after-him-this-offseason-120410

I believe KW was after Lee last season.

Pure speculation on Rosenthal's part. I changed the thread title because it was bull****. Seriously, you really need to stop posting these misleading threads.

balke
12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
You can never have too much pitching - but that would be too much pitching. Sale doesn't seem to want to be a permanent relief pitcher - I can't see the Sox bringing in any starters.

Noneck
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I can't see the Sox bringing in any starters.

Unless they plan on moving some already on the club.

Domeshot17
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
The only way this makes sense is if we trade Buehrle and Quentin to the Cards for Rasmus. That scenerio opens up enough money to resign PK and Lee. That said, I don't see any of that happening outside resigning PK which I think is about a coin flip now.

Boondock Saint
12-05-2010, 12:42 PM
That qualifies as reporting? "I think that maybe, possibly, there's a sleeper team in the bidding for Cliff Lee, because that's what always happens, and I think it might be the Sox just because."

This is beyond pathetic.

Noir
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Rosenthal merely pointed out what we already know: KW leaves no stone unturned. See his pursuit of Roy Halladay last year as evidence. I would be surprised if he didnt start kicking the tires on Lee.

soltrain21
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Pure speculation on Rosenthal's part. I changed the thread title because it was bull****. Seriously, you really need to stop posting these misleading threads.

What was the original?!

Brian26
12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
This is really one step away from Phil Rogers' 11-player/front office trade scenario between the Cubs and Sox. The Sox are not going to get Cliff Lee.

Brian26
12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Rosenthal merely pointed out what we already know: KW leaves no stone unturned. See his pursuit of Roy Halladay last year as evidence. I would be surprised if he didnt start kicking the tires on Lee.

The Halladay speculation occured before he acquired Peavy. Add the Edwin Jackson contract on top of that.

spawn
12-05-2010, 12:59 PM
What was the original?!

"The White Sox are a dark horse to get Cliff Lee". Nowhere does Rosenthal's say that. He says there is a mystery team, and speculates which teams they may be.

soltrain21
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
"The White Sox are a dark horse to get Cliff Lee". Nowhere does Rosenthal's say that. He says there is a mystery team, and speculates which teams they may be.

Ha. I read the article. Not even close to what is happening. Classic.

No way we get Cliff lee. I do see us, however, Getting Garcia on the very cheap.

SephClone89
12-05-2010, 01:38 PM
The Halladay speculation occured before he acquired Peavy. Add the Edwin Jackson contract on top of that.

No, I'm pretty sure KW was also after Halladay last season. I remember making a thread about it in the spring.

Jpgr91
12-05-2010, 01:49 PM
That qualifies as reporting? "I think that maybe, possibly, there's a sleeper team in the bidding for Cliff Lee, because that's what always happens, and I think it might be the Sox just because."

This is beyond pathetic.

This is really one step away from Phil Rogers' 11-player/front office trade scenario between the Cubs and Sox. The Sox are not going to get Cliff Lee.

I think you guys are taking this article way too seriously. Rosenthal pretty much says he is just messing around. These quotes are directly from the article:

"Here, then, are five teams that could repeat, could at least dream of grabbing Lee."

"I don't have any information that any of these clubs actually is pursuing Lee. I'm well aware that for some, his expected average salary of $23 million to $25 million would be out of range. I'm just mapping out scenarios, playing a little GM."

Brian26
12-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I think you guys are taking this article way too seriously. Rosenthal pretty much says he is just messing around.

I understand that he's messing around, and that's precisely why Phil Rogers was taken to task a few weeks ago. Same situation.

cws05champ
12-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I understand that he's messing around, and that's precisely why Phil Rogers was taken to task a few weeks ago. Same situation.
These guys are in the business, and should know better. Sure KW is unpredictable, but when have the Sox ever given more than 4 years to any pitcher....let alone 6 years that Lee is seeking. Oh and $23M per is not the Sox M.O. either.

Brian26
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
The chairman is not going to head into 2011 with a $150 million payroll.

A. Cavatica
12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
The only way this makes sense is if we trade Buehrle and Quentin to the Cards for Rasmus. That scenerio opens up enough money to resign PK and Lee. That said, I don't see any of that happening outside resigning PK which I think is about a coin flip now.

Buehrle and Quentin would be twice what Rasmus is worth. Buehrle straight up, maybe.

Noir
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

He did it before AND after acquiring Peavy IIRC

cards press box
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM

And, to be fair, Rosenthal prefaced his speculation on the Sox' possible interest in Lee with the caveat that if Sox re-sign Paul Konerko, they are not even going to "kick the tires" on Lee. I suspect that the Sox will sign Paulie this week, thus ending any speculation on Lee.

Of course, with Jayson Werth signing with the Nats and the Adrian Gonzalez deal falling through (at least temporarily), the Red Sox do concern me a little bit with their need for a right handed bat. In the final analysis, though, I just don't see Konerko leaving the Sox. Hopefully, I'm right.

thomas35forever
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
We're not the Yankees. We can't afford him, especially after the Dunn deal. And yes, there is such a thing as a starting pitching surplus, which is not necessarily good.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
The Sox would have to have a deal in place for Gavin Floyd or Buehrle, and even then they probably wouldn't have the money to get Cliff.

I, for one (and I'm the only one), am waiting for Kenny to shock the world by getting Tim Lincecum.

Ranger
12-05-2010, 07:23 PM

There is a difference, though, when you consider the tendencies of both writers.

Brian26
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
There is a difference, though, when you consider the tendencies of both writers.

I don't disagree with you.

SoxNation05
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM

I doubt Rockabilly used proper capitalization.

guillensdisciple
12-06-2010, 01:16 AM
I know it won't, but if it did I think I would buy season tickets immediately in the front row and put myself in debt. That would be insane.

SoxNation05
12-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I know it won't, but if it did I think I would buy season tickets immediately in the front row and put myself in debt. That would be insane.

Let me know where these first row season ticket options are.

guillensdisciple
12-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Let me know where these first row season ticket options are.

Stuh Hub every game?

Red Barchetta
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Lee would be incredible. Close Paulie, sign Lee, package either Buehrle or Floyd with Quentin for some bullpen or OF help and then figure out some way to unload Teahen and we would be set.

I know it's Monday morning, however I can dream! :tongue: