PDA

View Full Version : Update: Adrian Gonzalez trade to Red Sox official. For real this time.

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/red-sox-padres-talking-adrian-gonzalez-trade.html)

I will be astonished if Clay Buccholz or Jacoby Ellsbury are not part of the deal.

thomas35forever
12-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Well, Papi can't go on forever.

BigHurt3515
12-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Gonzalez goes to Boston basically means Beltre is not coming back.
What do you think of the White Sox getting him for a year or 2. Better then Teahen and gives Moral another year in the minors

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 01:25 AM
What do you think of the White Sox getting him for a year or 2. Better then Teahen and gives Moral another year in the minors

Doubtful if we sign Konerko.

DirtySox
12-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/red-sox-padres-talking-adrian-gonzalez-trade.html)

I will be astonished if Clay Buccholz or Jacoby Ellsbury are not part of the deal.

I've read that San Diego only wants prospects in the deal. I'd imagine the package starts with Casey Kelly.

SoxNation05
12-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Good. The less suitors for Paulie the better.

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 02:55 AM
I've read that San Diego only wants prospects in the deal. I'd imagine the package starts with Casey Kelly.

Good call.

Dan Hayes (@NCTPadres (http://twitter.com/NCTPadres)): Adrian Gonzalez trade would involve only minor leaguers from BOS, including Casey Kelly. Says deal is very close. about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/10954053202739200) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Retweeted by 18 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/745581640/MLBTR-main-twittericon0310_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
mlbtraderumors (http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)
MLB Trade Rumors

Foulke You
12-04-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm surprised the Friars would trade Gonzalez after being a contender for much of 2010 and missing the playoffs by 1 game. Trading him for prospects basically says to their fans that they are giving up on 2011 doesn't it?

kravdog
12-04-2010, 04:06 AM

If we are really going all in, why not? I like the idea a lot.

soxnut1018
12-04-2010, 05:45 AM
From Buster Onley's Twitter:
The Red Sox are far enough along in the conversation that they are trying to work out a new contract with Adrian Gonzalez.

Fenway
12-04-2010, 07:58 AM
It appears Theo has finally gotten the player he covets

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/12/04/sox_padres_talk_gonzalez/?p1=Upbox_links

Buster Olney from ESPN now tweets

From Buster Olney:"Sources: The San Diego Padres and Boston Red Sox are on the verge of finishing an Adrian Gonzalez deal. Players all agreed to.""The Red Sox are far enough along in the conversation that they are trying to work out a new contract with Adrian Gonzalez."

CSN reports Gonzalez in Boston to be checked out on Sat

VenturaFan23
12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, Papi can't go on forever.

But he's the face of baseball according to espn during the home run derby last year! :rolleyes:

DonnieDarko
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
A part of me still feels sad, as I really coveted Adrian Gonzales. Oh well, at least he won't hurt us TOO badly when we face the Red Sox.

I hope. >_>

Fenway
12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
But he's the face of baseball according to espn during the home run derby last year! :rolleyes:

I am indeed

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1219.snc4/155192_1676644668680_1014362077_31824692_4689551_n .jpg

DonnieDarko
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM
...David "Arias"? Can someone explain to me why in the world he changed his last name to Ortiz, then?

Fenway
12-04-2010, 11:11 AM
...David "Arias"? Can someone explain to me why in the world he changed his last name to Ortiz, then?

Papi's full name is David Ortiz Arias.

He was signed originally by the Mariners who listed him as David Arias. Spanish naming custom gives people two surnames. The first is the dad's first surname. The second is the mom's first surname. The Mariners did not know that.

In 1996, the Mariners received Dave Hollins from the Twins for a player to be named later. Later that season, the Mariners announced that the player to be named laterwould be Arias. When he arrived in Minnesota, he informed the team that he preferred to be listed as "David Ortiz," making him, quite literally, a player to be named later.

Fenway
12-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Red Sox get off cheap

It appears the Red Sox will obtain Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres for RHP Casey Kelly, 1B Anthony Rizzo and CF Rey Fuentes.

That's two former first-round picks and three players with tremendous upside. However. The Red Sox will gain five draft picks in a deep 2011 draft as free-agent compensation. They will get two picks for Victor Martinez, two for Adrian Beltre and one for Felipe Lopez in addition to their own.

DonnieDarko
12-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I knew about that Hispanic naming thing, but I didn't know how he came to be listed as "Arias" instead of Ortiz. Thanks. More random trivia for the brain!

Fenway
12-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Now Boston is going all out for Carl Crawford - as are the Yankees

DirtySox
12-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Pretty decent haul. Still a 4th player involved though.

TheOldRoman
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
The Red Sox, the Padres, and now Adrian Gonzalez can all go **** themselves. I wish them all the worst.

DirtySox
12-04-2010, 12:38 PM
The Red Sox, the Padres, and now Adrian Gonzalez can all go **** themselves. I wish them all the worst.

Funny, those are my feelings too.

thomas35forever
12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Geez man. Don't be such a hater.

DonnieDarko
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Honestly. Did you think we had a shot at Adrian Gonzales? That was a pipe dream if I've ever seen one.

sullythered
12-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Funny, those are my feelings too.

Me too.

A. Cavatica
12-04-2010, 12:49 PM
If we could get Beltre for the same price as Konerko, that would be a major upgrade.

soltrain21
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Honestly. Did you think we had a shot at Adrian Gonzales? That was a pipe dream if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, this would have had to happen before Hudson and quite a few others were gone.

Dick Allen
12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Red Sox, Yankees, Yankees, Red Sox, ESPN, blah blah blah. **** them all.

Domeshot17
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
With all the injuries they had last year, this move has to put Boston as the early favorites to win it all. Probably the best rotation in baseball with a very good offense now. Yikes.

soltrain21
12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
With all the injuries they had last year, this move has to put Boston as the early favorites to win it all. Probably the best rotation in baseball with a very good offense now. Yikes.

Meh. Bring it.

Hitmen77
12-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Say hello to ESPN's new favorite player. He's on the Red Sox, so now he's relevant! Maybe he's on Ken Burns's radar screen now too.

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Let them extend Adrian. That's one less competing team for Albert.

Brian26
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Red Sox get off cheap

It appears the Red Sox will obtain Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres for RHP Casey Kelly, 1B Anthony Rizzo and CF Rey Fuentes.

Mixed feelings on this one for me. It's another example of the rich getting richer on the East Coast, but you have to admire their player development and scouting that they're consistently able to bring up top notch players to fill gaps (Lester, Ellsbury, Buchholz, Lowrie) and then trade away others like Hanley for Beckett and Lowell.

Tip of the cap to the Carmines. See you in the ALCS.

Brian26
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Let them extend Adrian. That's one less competing team for Albert.

Pujols will stay in St. Louis.

russ99
12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm a bit shocked that the Red Sox didn't have to give up any of their younger big leaguers for Gonzalez, like Buchholz, Bard, Lowrie, etc.

IMO, the Padres would have been better served if they waited until the deadline.

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Pujols will stay in St. Louis.

That's my hope (Well, actually my hope is that Kenny gets him for Mark Teahen, but yeah). With the Red Sox out of the picture, it becomes more likely.

Fenway
12-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Mixed feelings on this one for me. It's another example of the rich getting richer on the East Coast, but you have to admire their player development and scouting that they're consistently able to bring up top notch players to fill gaps (Lester, Ellsbury, Buchholz, Lowrie) and then trade away others like Hanley for Beckett and Lowell.

Padres are getting three good prospects

http://www.soxprospects.com/

Granted Boston spends..but in the AL East what choice do they have. Still they pretty much spend to the tax limit and stop...NYY doesn't care.

You have to feel for Tampa...they developed great players but that market will not support them -

This year they drew - 1,864,999 23,024(avg) 52.6% of seats

If they can't draw with the team they have had the past 3 years they are sunk ( it isn't The Trop as much as the location )

kittle42
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Taking an objective look at things, I think the Red Sox are more despicable than the Yanks and Cubs.

SoxNation05
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Jed Lowrie ia a top notch player?

An organization should be happy they traded away the best SS in the MLB?

TheOldRoman
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Geez man. Don't be such a hater.Hater? Okay. There are 28 other teams in baseball the Padres could have gotten a ****ty return from for Gonzalez. Instead, their former Red Sox protege GM bent over for Theo and accepted a horrible deal to make the Red Sox better. I mean, they couldn't have traded him for the friggin Mets or Nationals or something? Of course, this comes on the heels of the Padres, who had slashed and burned and expected to lose 100 games last year, accidentally competing and nearly winning the division. Their GM wanted to make sure to dump Gonzalez before the season so the Padres wouldn't, God forbid, compete again and preclude him from trading Gonzalez at the deadline. Nice message to the fans, *******. If only the Padres could get a new stadium, they would be able to comp... oh, wait...

Screw them all. And now that Gonzalez is on Boston, I would be very pleased if he failed to hit another homer for the rest of his career.

sullythered
12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Taking an objective look at things, I think the Red Sox are more despicable than the Yanks and Cubs.

Absolutely. And their fans are insufferable knuckleheads who think that their history is more important than anybody else's. (Though, not ALL of them are, Fenway:D:)

spawn
12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Hater? Okay. There are 28 other teams in baseball the Padres could have gotten a ****ty return from for Gonzalez. Instead, their former Red Sox protege GM bent over for Theo and accepted a horrible deal to make the Red Sox better. I mean, they couldn't have traded him for the friggin Mets or Nationals or something? Of course, this comes on the heels of the Padres, who had slashed and burned and expected to lose 100 games last year, accidentally competing and nearly winning the division. Their GM wanted to make sure to dump Gonzalez before the season so the Padres wouldn't, God forbid, compete again and preclude him from trading Gonzalez at the deadline. Nice message to the fans, *******. If only the Padres could get a new stadium, they would be able to comp... oh, wait...

Screw them all. And now that Gonzalez is on Boston, I would be very pleased if he failed to hit another homer for the rest of his career.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brian26
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Jed Lowrie ia a top notch player?

An organization should be happy they traded away the best SS in the MLB?

Too bad you missed my point. You're trying to nitpick, and you're doing a horrible job of it.

An organization should be happy they're scouting, drafting and developing top notch talent, whether they keep those guys in the organization or use them as bargaining pieces to fill in gaps. Whether or not they would take back the Hanley trade is beside the point. They paid a premium for Beckett and Lowell, and those two helped the Red Sox win the World Series 2007.

Lowrie had 9 HRs and batted .287 last year in 55 games. He was rumored to be part of the Buehrle deal in 2007. Kid has a lot of potential.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Minor league player Cody Kirkland's fiance' works out here at ISU in sports information. She's a baseball fan and we were talking about this before the game this afternoon.

She said Cody's agent tells all his clients that you don't sign with the Padres unless you have no other options available to you.

That's too bad, beautiful stadium...great weather. Lousy ownership.

Lip

12-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Hater? Okay. There are 28 other teams in baseball the Padres could have gotten a ****ty return from for Gonzalez. Instead, their former Red Sox protege GM bent over for Theo and accepted a horrible deal to make the Red Sox better. I mean, they couldn't have traded him for the friggin Mets or Nationals or something? Of course, this comes on the heels of the Padres, who had slashed and burned and expected to lose 100 games last year, accidentally competing and nearly winning the division. Their GM wanted to make sure to dump Gonzalez before the season so the Padres wouldn't, God forbid, compete again and preclude him from trading Gonzalez at the deadline. Nice message to the fans, *******. If only the Padres could get a new stadium, they would be able to comp... oh, wait...

I agree! I'm a very pissed off adopted Padres fan. Awful deal for Adrian. They couldn't get Buchholz or Ellsbury???

12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm a bit shocked that the Red Sox didn't have to give up any of their younger big leaguers for Gonzalez, like Buchholz, Bard, Lowrie, etc.

IMO, the Padres would have been better served if they waited until the deadline.

Exactly! Why would you send that message to your fans before the year even starts? Especially after competing the entire season in 2010?

spawn
12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Exactly! Why would you send that message to your fans before the year even starts? Especially after competing the entire season in 2010?
That's what is the most surprising to me. You've basically told your fanbase "I know we almost won the division last seasson, but we're going to make sure it doesn't happen this season." Also, it not only sends the wrong message to your fanbase, it's sends the wrong message to the Padres players themselves. It tells them ownership has no intention on trying to put a winning product on the field.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
102605:

My guess is that to the Padres ownership, maximizing profit (and revenue sharing money) trumps the possibility of competing. That's the problem with revenue sharing. It rewards lousy ownership (see Pirates, Pittsburgh and Marlins, Florida)

Lip

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
FWIW: Apparently this deal isn't done yet

Red Sox have a window to negotiate an extension. That window closes 2 pm ET tomorrow.

chunk
12-04-2010, 10:33 PM
SI_JonHeyman: there is optimism the gonzalez trade will happen. but on the of chance it doesn't, #padres will keep him and won't field offers. #redsox

in other words

Jed Hoyer: Yea I am literally admitting that this was just a deal for my buddy Theo

JermaineDye05
12-04-2010, 10:36 PM
SI_JonHeyman: there is optimism the gonzalez trade will happen. but on the of chance it doesn't, #padres will keep him and won't field offers. #redsox

in other words

Jed Hoyer: Yea I am literally admitting that this was just a deal for my buddy Theo

Yeah, that really does speak volumes.

Nelfox02
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
went to a local bar to catch the end of the Kentucky-Carolina game and saw on the scrolling crawl on the bottom of a tv tuned to espn "sox agree in principle for a trade for Adrian Gonzalez".......I nearly died, thought KW pulled of something epic and then realized it was likely the red, not white sox involved....confirmed a few seconds later

in any event, did anyone not expect the Red Sox to do something such as this during the off season? whether this trade goes thru or not they arent finished

it is what it is, happens every year with Bo Sox and NYY.....and I dont see any reason it will stop anytime soon

chunk
12-04-2010, 11:44 PM
went to a local bar to catch the end of the Kentucky-Carolina game and saw on the scrolling crawl on the bottom of a tv tuned to espn "sox agree in principle for a trade for Adrian Gonzalez".......I nearly died, thought KW pulled of something epic and then realized it was likely the red, not white sox involved....confirmed a few seconds later

in any event, did anyone not expect the Red Sox to do something such as this during the off season? whether this trade goes thru or not they arent finished

it is what it is, happens every year with Bo Sox and NYY.....and I dont see any reason it will stop anytime soon

It's not the trade that is so shocking, it's that a former Red Sox exec traded one of the best players in baseball, who also happens to be extremely cheap, for a package worse than the first Swisher trade, possibly only dealt with the Red Sox and didn't field offers from other teams, and won't accept offers from other teams if the current deal falls through. If that's not collusion I don't know what is.

VenturaFan23
12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Amen, brother.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Same situation where the former Pirates GM (maybe he's still there) wouldn't trade with the Sox because he used to work for Cleveland.

It is what it is, just like in real life.

Lip

TommyJohn
12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Same situation where the former Pirates GM (maybe he's still there) wouldn't trade with the Sox because he used to work for Cleveland.

It is what it is, just like in real life.

Lip

This is true. Hell, look how many deals the KC A's did with the Yankees back in the day. And before that the Browns and White Sox seemed to have an exclusive "deal only with each other" contract. It is also how the Cubs managed to acquire Ryne Sandberg-Dallas Green knew him from the Phillies organization, and was able to deal with them because he had been their manager.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Still no extension with the Bo-Sox and Gonzalez. I would absolutely love it if this trade just completely busted and he stayed in San Diego.

asindc
12-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Still no extension with the Sox and Gonzalez. I would absolutely love it if this trade just completely busted and he stayed in San Diego.

What about any progress between Gonzalez and Boston?

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
What about any progress between Gonzalez and Boston?

Thanks for the heads up.

dakuda
12-05-2010, 02:24 PM
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11498648068165632

What is the point of having a deadline, if the 'situation' can make it nonexistent? A deadline is a deadline, it shouldn't matter which team and/or player is involved.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 02:31 PM
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11498648068165632

What is the point of having a deadline, if the 'situation' can make it nonexistent? A deadline is a deadline, it shouldn't matter which team and/or player is involved.

But it's the Red Sox. Everybody loves them

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 02:43 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman) Jon Heyman
Source; gonzalez deal fell thru
47 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11505519348940800) http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg
#redsox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23redsox) just could not reach deal w a-gon. #padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23padres)
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11505751629500416)
Lol.

**** you Boston.

spawn
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Source; gonzalez deal fell thru
47 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11505519348940800)

#redsox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23redsox) just could not reach deal w a-gon. #padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23padres)
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11505751629500416)

Lol.

**** you Boston.
:rolling:

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
:rolling:

+10000000000000000000000

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cws05champ
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Awsome.....but you never know, maybe they get together at the Winter meetings this week.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
This seriously made my day.

hi im skot
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
So much for it being "official", eh?

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Awsome.....but you never know, maybe they get together at the Winter meetings this week.

Yea, it's far from over. I just really hate Boston. I'd love nothing more for Beltre to sign elsewhere and some other team swoop in and nab Adrian from the Padres leaving the Sawx empty handed.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Yea, it's far from over. I just really hate Boston. I'd love nothing more for Beltre to sign elsewhere and some other team swoop in and nab Adrian from the Padres leaving the Sawx empty handed.

I'm rooting for the Cubs on this one.

DumpJerry
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
He wants to see if Konerko signs with the White Sox before he closes the White Sox door.......

VMSNS
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
This is seriously hilarious. I can just imagine Sawx Nation glued to their computers/TVs right now and just freaking out. I would love to see the Sawx miss out of Adrian, and see Beltre sign elsewhere. Lee not signing with NYY would be the cherry on top. :D:

Regardless, this deal just didn't make much sense to me. San Diego fielded a pretty good team last season that just barely missed the playoffs. Why would they trade him now, especially when he'd have more value at the deadline? Also, why would they only want prospects in return and no current MLB players like Ellsbury or Bard?

TheOldRoman
12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
If the teams were close but couldn't get a deal done, that is one thing. However, Gonzalez refused Boston's offer of a contract extension. In that case, I can't imagine Boston trying to trade for him again unless it's at the deadline and they give up less with no plans to resign him.

Pablo_Honey
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
As long as neither Yankees or Red Sox gets A-Gon, I'm happy. Enough with their money-bought dominance.

spawn
12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
If the teams were close but couldn't get a deal done, that is one thing. However, Gonzalez refused Boston's offer of a contract extension. In that case, I can't imagine Boston trying to trade for him again unless it's at the deadline and they give up less with no plans to resign him.
According to Olney:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN) Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN)

Says rival talent evaluator: if Gonzalez plays out season with sd, five teams will bid on him--and then he'll get teixeira money.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN) Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN)

Some rival execs think it is fair for gonzo to expect teixera money, in current market.

Seems the Red Sawx didn't want to give Gonzalez Texeira time and money.

TheOldRoman
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
According to Olney:
Seems the Red Sawx didn't want to give Gonzalez Texeira time and money.
Maybe San Diego trades him at the deadline, where some teams would probably trade for him without expecting to sign him to an extension. I think he will get Teixeira money next season. My point was, I don't this is one of the trades where it almost got done and the teams will revisit it later in the offseason. Gonzalez turning down the offer for an extension pretty much means the Red Sox wouldn't bother to revisit the trade.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
The downside to this is now that brings the Red Sox back into the picture with Konerko.

DSpivack
12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
The downside to this is now that brings the Red Sox back into the picture with Konerko.

Konerko grew up a Red Sox fan in Rhode Island, right?

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
hearing #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) still working hard on a-gon. reached on their cells, theo epstein and larry lucchino declined comment. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11567876590800896) via web Retweeted by 11 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
Jon Heyman

I thought there was a deadline. . .

spawn
12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
hearing #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) still working hard on a-gon. reached on their cells, theo epstein and larry lucchino declined comment. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11567876590800896) via web Retweeted by 11 people
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
Jon Heyman

I thought there was a deadline. . .
There was a deadline as far as an extension was concerned. They could still do the trade without it.

A. Cavatica
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
White Sox made a bid for Gonzalez before signing Dunn, says Cafardo:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/12/a-gon_gone.html

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
White Sox made a bid for Gonzalez before signing Dunn, says Cafardo:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/12/a-gon_gone.html

Wait, we couldn't match the garbage that Boston was offering?

I say garbage because that's what everyone's reaction was when they heard the proposed players.

If they were garbage, I guess it just means that our garbage is not nearly as desirable as Boston's.

g0g0
12-05-2010, 07:03 PM
i'm rooting for the cubs on this one.

+1

Daver
12-05-2010, 07:03 PM

I say garbage because that's what everyone's reaction was when they heard the proposed players.

If they were garbage, I guess it just means that our garbage is not nearly as desirable as Boston's.

Have you taken a good squint at the Sox farm system lately?

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Have you taken a good squint at the Sox farm system lately?

Yes. I know our farm system is dreadful at the moment. I wasn't being serious. Should have used teal.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Source: Gonz contract hangup was over years. Rival GM: If #RedSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23RedSox) try to offer lesser players for 1 year of Gonzo, then MORE #Padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Padres) #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB) half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/11574149180817408) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter) Retweeted by 1 person
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/533041789/Kenny_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken Rosenthal

...#Padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Padres) should involve other clubs. GM's point is that #Padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Padres) should NOT sell low. #RedSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23RedSox) #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB) half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/11574382551891968) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter)
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/533041789/Kenny_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Ken Rosenthal

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
still some optimism the a-gon deal could happen. deadline came and went but mlb allows for leniency with deals of this magnitude. less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11581395910533120) via web

You mean deals involving the Red Sox?

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
A gon is now a red sox less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11582400098209792) via web Retweeted by 2 people
Jon Heyman

:angry::angry:

So much for deadlines.

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
A gon is now a red sox less than 20 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11582400098209792) via web Retweeted by 2 people
Jon Heyman

:angry::angry:

So much for deadlines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/Vader.jpg

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 07:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/Vader.jpg

My sentiments exactly.

This is total BS.

cLyxmD_UAK4

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I wonder if its the same package, if an extension was reached, or if Boston went ahead with the deal confident they can lock up Adrian even if they surpassed the original extension window.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, once again, on the plus side, the Red Sox are officially out of the Konerko sweepstakes.

Rockin Robin
12-05-2010, 08:04 PM
My sentiments exactly.

This is total BS.

How do you figure?

God, the amount of whining here about Boston/NYY/ESPN is insufferable.

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
How do you figure?

I blame Fenway.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
How do you figure?

Okay, I'll admit, I did act out irrationally. However, if it turns out that the Red Sox negotiated an extension after the deadline passed, then I'll be ticked.

On that note . . .

Hearing #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) satisfied a multiyear deal can be arranged w a-gon. have common ground on parameters. No extension will be announced now. half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11587518281551873) via web Retweeted by 8 people

doublem23
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
How do you figure?

:violin:

Yeah, it's great for baseball when 2 teams basically can stack their rosters with any players they want.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2010, 08:12 PM
:violin:

Yeah, it's great for baseball when 2 teams basically can stack their rosters with any players they want.

And flaunt the rules, there was a deadline. Evidently that deadline doesn't extend towards the Red Sox.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Appears #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) will add about 7 yrs at about $23 mil per to a gon's $6 mil '11 salary. But no extension will be announced yet. half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11589791975997440) via web Retweeted by 2 people
Jon Heyman

Daver
12-05-2010, 08:18 PM
And flaunt the rules, there was a deadline. Evidently that deadline doesn't extend towards the Red Sox.

I can't count on both hands how many trades have gone through after the trade deadline has passed.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
I can't count on both hands how many trades have gone through after the trade deadline has passed.

I know that they give an extension to teams who are working on details as the deadline passes, but honestly, it seems like Bud will make more exceptions to the Yankees and Red Sox than anyone else. He's even talking about expanding the god damned playoffs so they have a better shot of getting in.

spawn
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Again, the deadline was for the extension of his contract. They made the deal without the contract extension.

Pablo_Honey
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Appears #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) will add about 7 yrs at about $23 mil per to a gon's $6 mil '11 salary. But no extension will be announced yet. half a minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11589791975997440) via web Retweeted by 2 people
Jon Heyman

Oh poor Cardinals. Pujols might as well break 30 mil threshold at this pace.

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh poor Cardinals. Pujols might as well break 30 mil threshold at this pace.

Yeah, but, at least they won't have the Yankees or Red Sox competing for his services now.

asindc
12-05-2010, 08:33 PM

IMO, it is more accurate to say that the Sox were not given a chance to match the garbage Boston offered. And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with them getting an extension to get the deal done.

Pablo_Honey
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but, at least they won't have the Yankees or Red Sox competing for his services now.
True but there will always be desperate teams willing to roll out some serious dough, Yankee$ and $awx be damned.

DirtySox
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
IMO, it is more accurate to say that the Sox were not given a chance to match the garbage Boston offered. And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with them getting an extension to get the deal done.

I don't think the package was garbage personally. Some think it is a bit underwhelming though. Rizzo is the best hitting prospect in the system, and Kelly is the best pitcher. Kelly has tons of potential and scouts love his stuff. The numbers haven't shown it yet though, especially this year. He has top of the rotation potential certainly. I'm kind of meh on Fuentes though.

chunk
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM

Fairly certain it's more a combination of Hoyer's hubris and desire to only work with the Red Sox.

I don't think the package was garbage personally. Some think it is a bit underwhelming though. Rizzo is the best hitting prospect in the system, and Kelly is the best pitcher. Kelly has tons of potential and scouts love his stuff. The numbers haven't shown it yet though, especially this year. He has top of the rotation potential certainly. I'm kind of meh on Fuentes though.

Kelly is a good prospect, but is still a huge project.

Rizzo's ceiling is Adam LaRoche.

Fuentes is a dime a dozen type prospect most systems have.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Like in life, money taks and BS walks...

Lip

Fenway
12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Deal is 7 years for $23M but will not be 'signed' until after Opening Day for accounting reasons.

Red Sox playing head games with media and they have managed to knock Pats-Jets to the background.

This is a BASEBALL town.

chunk
12-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Deal is 7 years for $23M but will not be 'signed' until after Opening Day for accounting reasons.

Red Sox playing head games with media and they have managed to knock Pats-Jets to the background.

This is a BASEBALL town.

"Accounting reasons" is code for "we don't get hit with the luxury tax if we wait until after ST to sign it.

Fenway
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
"Accounting reasons" is code for "we don't get hit with the luxury tax if we wait until after ST to sign it.

You have no idea how angry fans were in NE after 2 PM...the owner has been tweeting about Liverpool FC blah blah....

Now we hear Boston may have a second big announcement tomorrow (Crawford??)

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
You have no idea how angry fans were in NE after 2 PM...the owner has been tweeting about Liverpool FC blah blah....

Now we hear Boston may have a second big announcement tomorrow (Crawford??)

Kill me already if that's true.

Pablo_Honey
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Meh, if Werth signing was any indication, I'd assume the Sawx will be stuck with a lenghty expensive contract on a guy whose main asset is his speed which does not withstand aging that well. Could end up being their Soriano contract so to speak. Hopefully it's Crawford and not somebody like Cliff Lee. Now THAT would have me loading up my shotgun.

Fenway
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM

I am with some media friends tonight digesting what has happened....

Red Sox are very PR savy and they want to take back control from the Patriots. Biggest NFL game of year tomorrow in Foxborough and media is all baseball.

Because of the accounting they could very well go after Lee...

Remember tickets go on sale Dec 11th here

Stay tuned

JermaineDye05
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I am with some media friends tonight digesting what has happened....

Red Sox are very PR savy and they want to take back control from the Patriots. Biggest NFL game of year tomorrow in Foxborough and media is all baseball.

Because of the accounting they could very well go after Lee...

Remember tickets go on sale Dec 11th here

Stay tuned

You're saying that the Red Sox would purposely set a specific date to acquire two huge players for HUGE money, purely to take attention away from the Patriots?

That doesn't make a lot of sense, hardly any really.

Fenway
12-05-2010, 10:16 PM
You're saying that the Red Sox would purposely set a specific date to acquire two huge players for HUGE money, purely to take attention away from the Patriots?

That doesn't make a lot of sense, hardly any really.

No it doesn't BUT this is Boston.

NESN ratings were way down in 2010, WEEI is no longer top dog in Boston sports radio, WBZ-FM (CBS owned - Pats flagship) now ahead in all demos.

Pats TV ratings this year are beyond huge..CBS has assigned Nantz and Simms to 6 games Pats this year (7 next week in Chicago)...

Ticket sales are moot, both teams sell out...it is all media at this point

chunk
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Found this on another forum

One of my best friends and co-workers was Casey Kelly's high school tutor and when I told her about him being the centerpiece in a trade for a really good player, she said, "Well he still reads at a fourth-grade reading level so he better hope this baseball thing works."

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 12:12 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/262579268/sherman3_normal.jpg
Joelsherman1 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1) Joel Sherman
#Cubs (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Cubs) and #Whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Whitesox) were other serious bidders trying with #Padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Padres) for Gonzalez.
34 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Joelsherman1/status/11830218104770560)

Not sure what the Sox were bidding with. If the Pads only wanted prospects, we didn't match up well at all.

tstrike2000
12-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Good for the Red Sox and good for my fantasy team as I have both AGon and Casey Kelly.

Rockabilly
12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
https://twitter.com/jorgearangure

For the money that Gonzalez is going to sign for. I would rather have Dunn

Nelfox02
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I feel bad for Padres fans....wonder what the vibe is in SD for on this....

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I feel bad for Padres fans....wonder what the vibe is in SD for on this....

From what I've read from a video game sports message board I go to, they don't even see a point in being a fan of the team anymore. Why bother? There is no reason to like anyone on the team, they will just get traded anyway.

That's their thought process.

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Hearing #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox) made 2nd best offer to #padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23padres) for a-gon. Once they were told no, they went for dunn.
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11849034285195264)

Weird. I wonder if Adrian would have been receptive to an extension? If not the package wouldn't be the same strength as what Boston offered one would assume.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Hearing #chisox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23chisox) made 2nd best offer to #padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23padres) for a-gon. Once they were told no, they went for dunn.
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/11849034285195264)

Weird. I wonder if Adrian would have been receptive to an extension? If not the package wouldn't be the same strength as what Boston offered one would assume.

Viciedo? Floyd? Danks? Beckham? Wonder what was involved.

CPditka
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Im guessing (purely guessing) Floyd + Viciedo + Flowers

doublem23
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM

It is interesting, considering the Padres recieved 0 Major League players in this deal from Boston, what they possibly could have been offered by the Sox.

chunk
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
It is interesting, considering the Padres recieved 0 Major League players in this deal from Boston, what they possibly could have been offered by the Sox.

Seen a few tweets that the Padres turned down deals that did include Major league players, so take that for what it's worth.

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/318621659/bobs_twittericon_normal.jpg
BNightengale (http://twitter.com/#%21/BNightengale) Bob Nightengale
#mlb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23mlb) #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox) #redsox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23redsox) The Chicago White Sox were runner-up in the Adrian Gonzalez derby, offering IF Gordon Beckham and prospects.
42 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/BNightengale/status/11888902755319808)

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
#mlb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23mlb) #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox) #redsox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23redsox) The Chicago White Sox were runner-up in the Adrian Gonzalez derby, offering IF Gordon Beckham and prospects.

And they took the Red Sox deal?!?!?!

TheOldRoman
12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
42 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/BNightengale/status/11888902755319808)I don't believe they would offer Beckham, I think that is speculation. They supposedly wouldn't trade Becks for Gonzalez last year, no way they make that trade and have no 2B, instead of just sign a 1B/DH and keep Beckham.

doublem23
And they took the Red Sox deal?!?!?!

Jed Hoyer's a former Red Sox Assistant GM. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

DirtySox
I don't believe they would offer Beckham, I think that is speculation. They supposedly wouldn't trade Becks for Gonzalez last year, no way they make that trade and have no 2B, instead of just sign a 1B/DH and keep Beckham.

I don't think it makes sense unless Kenny would be locking him up long-term, similar to Boston. Beckham and more for 1 year of Adrian isn't too appetizing.

TheOldRoman
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't think it makes sense unless Kenny would be locking him up long-term, similar to Boston. Beckham and more for 1 year of Adrian isn't too appetizing.Even if they did lock him up, they still wouldn't have a DH, they would need a new 2B, and have considerably less money to spend. No way they would make that trade.

WhiteSox5187
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Whoa. I'm glad they took the Red Sox deal. I think Beckham and Alexei can be a great double play combo for a couple of years, both offensively and defensively.

DirtySox
12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Whoa. I'm glad they took the Red Sox deal. I think Beckham and Alexei can be a great double play combo for a couple of years, both offensively and defensively.

Ballantini isn't buying the rumor at all. Who knows though.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Even if they did lock him up, they still wouldn't have a DH, they would need a new 2B, and have considerably less money to spend. No way they would make that trade.

Adam Dunn says hello.

JermaineDye05
12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
If the Padres did indeed turn down a package that included Beckham, that points more to collusion.

However, I'm glad it got denied. We would have had a gaping hole at 2B. Plus, I really think Gordon's gonna be something special.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
If the Padres did indeed turn down a package that included Beckham, that points more to collusion.

However, I'm glad it got denied. We would have had a gaping hole at 2B. Plus, I really think Gordon's gonna be something special.

...Like Gonzalez already is? If we sign Gonzalez to an extension than I take that deal in a heartbeat.

DSpivack
12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
...Like Gonzalez already is? If we sign Gonzalez to an extension than I take that deal in a heartbeat.

My concern would be devoting $23 million of payroll to one player hampering the team from filling other holes.

soltrain21
12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
My concern would be devoting $23 million of payroll to one player hampering the team from filling other holes.

I understand it's a lot of money - but to hold onto a player HOPING they will turn into something that could be somewhat comparable to an already established player who is still young seems kind of...not a great idea.

I'd rather take Gonzalez mashing at our park. But it doesn't matter anyway.

TheOldRoman
12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Adam Dunn says hello.The report was that the Sox tried to trade for and extend Gonzalez first and then signed Dunn after they found out it was a nepotism trade. Besides, they wouldn't have had money to sign Dunn after giving Gonzalez $23 million a year.

JermaineDye05
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
The player to be named later was Eric Patterson.

Wow.

This deal just becomes more and more a joke

Got a confirmation from #Padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Padres) that they've acquired Eric Patterson from #RedSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23RedSox). He's player to be named from Adrian Gonzalez deal. #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB) 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/NCTPadres/status/15499466605862912) via web from San Carlos, San Diego (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=San%20Carlos,%20San%20Diego) Retweeted by 17 people
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/631291058/HayesMug_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/NCTPadres)
NCTPadres (http://twitter.com/NCTPadres)

Boondock Saint
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Can't MLB do something about this? It's obviously collusion.

guillensdisciple
12-16-2010, 04:08 PM
The hell, why didn't the Sox take part in this?

The White ones.

asindc
12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
The hell, why didn't the Sox take part in this?

The White ones.

Because the Sox don't have a relationship with SD's FO that the 'Red ones' do.

guillensdisciple
12-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Because the Sox don't have a relationship with SD's FO that the 'Red ones' do.

This smells worse than the NBA free agency coup from the summer.

VMSNS
12-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Man, Jed Hoyer gave Theo a really nice Chirstmas present.

I know there isn't exactly any way to prove that it's collusion, but the MLB should really do something about this.

Daver
12-16-2010, 05:04 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Can't MLB do something about this? It's obviously collusion.

It would be virtually impossible to prove.

Lyle Mouton
12-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Why didn't we partake? Because we don't have the prospects.

VMSNS
12-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Why didn't we partake? Because we don't have the prospects.

We offered Gordon Beckham and supposedly Viciedo + others.

JermaineDye05
12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
MLB is not gonna do anything.

They were so distraught after neither the Red Sox or Yankees were in the World Series, that they decided to make sure that it doesn't happen again in 2011.