PDA

View Full Version : The Bench

LITTLE NELL
12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
As of now, Omar and Castro are the only sure things. Who is the 4th outfielder, do we bring back Andruw Jones? How about Lillibridge?
I think it may be too early to give up on Teahen as he can help in RF and at 3B especially if Morel flops

sox1970
12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
As it stands, pretty good guess it's Lillibridge, Vizquel, Teahen, and Castro.

hi im skot
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
What's Andruw Jones' status? I'd love to see him back next year.

DirtySox
12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
What's Andruw Jones' status? I'd love to see him back next year.

I think De Aza might be in the mix for that position. After Jones' really great 2nd half, I expect Boras to get him a decent deal somewhere.

russ99
12-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I think De Aza might be in the mix for that position. After Jones' really great 2nd half, I expect Boras to get him a decent deal somewhere.

Castro, Lillibridge and Vizquel are set.

If Kenny can deal Linebrink, he can deal anyone. So we still may get out from under Teahen's contract.

De Aza could be the OF backup, but we could also be in on an experienced OF bat late in the offseason. Could Kenny maybe nab Damon for under $2M?

PalehosePlanet
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
There are good, cheap bench players available on the market also.

Matt Diaz and Ryan Church, to name a couple.

Chez
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not ready to rule out a spot for Viciedo -- especially if Konerko signs elsewhere.

salty99
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM
4 outfielder Jordan Danks?

JB98
12-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Why do people think Lillibridge is a lock?

If Morel wins the 3B job, Vizquel and Teahen are both bench players. That makes Lillibridge redundant.

I think the bench will be Teahen, Vizquel, Castro and De Aza.

They need a backup OF who can handle all three positions. De Aza might be the guy. I suppose Lillibridge can play CF in a pinch, but I think he's got his work cut out to make the roster.

LoveYourSuit
12-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Why do people think Lillibridge is a lock?

If Morel wins the 3B job, Vizquel and Teahen are both bench players. That makes Lillibridge redundant.

I think the bench will be Teahen, Vizquel, Castro and De Aza.

They need a backup OF who can handle all three positions. De Aza might be the guy. I suppose Lillibridge can play CF in a pinch, but I think he's got his work cut out to make the roster.

A Jones can still play a good enough CF to get by. I would keep him. This way you have a little bit of thump on the bench from the right side.

beasly213
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd bring back Jones for sure. If anything he can play either LF or RF in the late innings.

Also figure Teahan becomes the super sub. Although as of right now third base is an open competition so who knows where he'll end up.

DirtySox
12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I'd bring back Jones for sure. If anything he can play either LF or RF in the late innings.

Also figure Teahan becomes the super sub. Although as of right now third base is an open competition so who knows where he'll end up.

Jones was damn fine as a bench player last year, especially in the 2nd half. I'd love to have him back, but I think the Sox are going to go cheap at the 4th OF spot. Same with at least one bullpen arm. My prediction is De Aza is the 4th OF and one of Infante or Carter will be in the pen.

Mingo
12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I suspect the signing of Dunn may make A. Jones' return less likely. I'm thinking Ozzie would rather have De Aza as if 4th outfielder. Dunn could fill in for RF with De Aza subbing in CF and LF. Though - I certainly wouldn't cry is A. Jones returns instead.

If Konerko signs - we might see Teahan shuffled somewhere - and a pitcher like Floyd traded for younger talent.

Ultimately - I think the Sox would do well to strike a balance between the Ozzie ball of last year and the big bopper lineup of previous teams. With Rios, Beckham, Ramirez and Pierre - they have a fair number of guys who can run, with Rios, Konerko and Dunn they would have a very solid power component to fit the home field and with Morel, Ramirez, Beckahm, Konerko, Pierre and Rios -they have a much better avg. defense.

hawkjt
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I suspect the signing of Dunn may make A. Jones' return less likely. I'm thinking Ozzie would rather have De Aza as if 4th outfielder. Dunn could fill in for RF with De Aza subbing in CF and LF. Though - I certainly wouldn't cry is A. Jones returns instead.

If Konerko signs - we might see Teahan shuffled somewhere - and a pitcher like Floyd traded for younger talent.

Ultimately - I think the Sox would do well to strike a balance between the Ozzie ball of last year and the big bopper lineup of previous teams. With Rios, Beckham, Ramirez and Pierre - they have a fair number of guys who can run, with Rios, Konerko and Dunn they would have a very solid power component to fit the home field and with Morel, Ramirez, Beckahm, Konerko, Pierre and Rios -they have a much better avg. defense.

yes, I would not mind Andruw back,but doubt it happens.

I liked our new-found speed last year and I agree that we can have a mix this year.

Juan- fast,best base stealer in the league
Gordo- fast, good base runner
Alex- fast,good base stealer, with power.
PK- power and hitting,no speed.
Dunn- power and on base, with ok speed
Carlos- power, with ok speed
AJ- will hit for average,no speed,good baserunner generally.
Alexei- speed to burn
Morel- good speed.

Omar- sneaky speed
Lillibridge- burner
Teahen- average speed,but not slow.
Castro- good power,no speed.

That is a roster with good power,but also good speed.
For me,only question is batting averages...must hit better.

Zisk77
12-04-2010, 12:29 PM
yes, I would not mind Andruw back,but doubt it happens.

I liked our new-found speed last year and I agree that we can have a mix this year.

Juan- fast,best base stealer in the league
Gordo- fast, good base runner
Alex- fast,good base stealer, with power.
PK- power and hitting,no speed.
Dunn- power and on base, with ok speed
Carlos- power, with ok speed
AJ- will hit for average,no speed,good baserunner generally.
Alexei- speed to burn
Morel- good speed.

Omar- sneaky speed
Lillibridge- burner
Teahen- average speed,but not slow.
Castro- good power,no speed.

That is a roster with good power,but also good speed.
For me,only question is batting averages...must hit better.

Actually Teahen has better than average speed, he runs very well for a big man. In fact, I'd bet he's faster than Beckham.

russ99
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Jones was damn fine as a bench player last year, especially in the 2nd half. I'd love to have him back, but I think the Sox are going to go cheap at the 4th OF spot. Same with at least one bullpen arm. My prediction is De Aza is the 4th OF and one of Infante or Carter will be in the pen.

No thanks, we can do better than Andruw Jones for what's sure to be a much larger salary to sign him for 2011.

His first half (bad) numbers of .210/.323/.446 were in 186 AB, his second half (OK) numbers of .272/.380/.565 were in 92 AB. Which Andruw will show up in 2011?

I think DeAza has a real shot, but they still need a veteran bench bat.

KMcMahon817
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
No thanks, we can do better than Andruw Jones for what's sure to be a much larger salary to sign him for 2011.

His first half (bad) numbers of .210/.323/.446 were in 186 AB, his second half (OK) numbers of .272/.380/.565 were in 92 AB. Which Andruw will show up in 2011?

I think DeAza has a real shot, but they still need a veteran bench bat.

I don't know if it would be much of an upgrade over De Aza, but Fred Lewis was non-tendered by the Jays. He has good speed, has some pop and is a solid outfielder. I wouldn't mind the SOX looking into him as a fourth outfielder.

soxinem1
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Castro, Lillibridge and Vizquel are set.

If Kenny can deal Linebrink, he can deal anyone. So we still may get out from under Teahen's contract.

De Aza could be the OF backup, but we could also be in on an experienced OF bat late in the offseason. Could Kenny maybe nab Damon for under $2M?

I'm not sure about Lillibridge being set. He hit worse than an AL pitcher the last two months (esp. with all the K's he racked up), figures to get little time at 2B/SS, was only in the OF for a few innings, and that little Steve Sax imitation he kept doing on throws to 1B from 2B was quite scary.

I think they need a better backup OF option. Taking a chance on De Aza might work, but I do not see how Johnny Damon fits in the plans of the 2011 White Sox, even if Konerko does not re-sign.

Rikirk
12-06-2010, 04:04 AM
What happened to Kotsay?

LITTLE NELL
12-06-2010, 05:01 AM
What happened to Kotsay?

I'm not a Kotsay hater and will get some static on this but if used the right way like in 2009 he could help.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Nell:

I agree and would also add Teahan to the same comment. They are not starters, period...yet far to often they were starting three or four times a week.

These are bench guys, pinch hitters, defensive subs, double switch type guys (when playing interleague games) and that's all.

Lip

Rikirk
12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
So Kotsay could be used as a 3rd string 1st baseman or DH right?
Im not a Kotsay hater either but all signs concerning Mark point to "has been".
Just my opinion.