PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams is Da Man!

DumpJerry
12-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Come on, you have admit it.
Dunn-here
AJ-here
Linebrink-not here

And he isn't done.

spawn
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Come on, you have admit it.
Dunn-here
AJ-here
Linebrink-not here

And he isn't done.
He's the worst GM in all of baseball. He should've been fired after 2005. Dunn is a strikeout machine. AJ's best years are behind him and isn't worth .02 let alone 8 million over two years. And Linebrink was never given the chance to succeed. the only thing he can do to save this horrible offseason he's having is by letting Konerko walk and platoon either Dunn or Teahen at first base.

I can't believe I said all of that with a straight face. :rolling:

sullythered
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
If his big talk about Paulie comes to fruition and Kenny gets him back here, I'm all in.

DumpJerry
12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
He's the worst GM in all of baseball. He should've been fired after 2005. Dunn is a strikeout machine. AJ's best years are behind him and isn't worth .02 let alone 8 million over two years. And Linebrink was never given the chance to succeed.
You left out how he destroyed Brian Anderson.

Oh wait, you did detail that.

hawkjt
12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
He even talked AJ and Dunn into deferring some of their money to free up space for a PK bid.

Well done,Kenneth!!

ChiSoxGirl
12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
He even talked AJ and Dunn into deferring some of their money to free up space for a PK bid.

Well done,Kenneth!!

:thumbsup: Come on home, Paulie... we're all here waiting for ya! :smile:

ChiSoxGal85
12-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Well done,Kenneth!!

+1!!! C'mon back, Paulie...you know you want to!

on a side note, with all this Sox activity, Is it a coincidence that MLB network is running "The Club" repeats right now? :smile:

ChiSox81
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
If his big talk about Paulie comes to fruition and Kenny gets him back here, I'm all in.

Thats the rub. If we don't resign Konerko, then this baseball team is no better and probably worse then we were last year. I am waiting till Konerko resigns before I get too excited.

Noneck
12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I will wait until the whole painting is complete. Right now, Paul >or = Dunn, AJ=AJ, -Jenks + -Putz < -Linebrink, 2011 < 2010 at the moment.

asindc
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I will wait until the whole painting is complete. Right now, Paul >or = Dunn, AJ=AJ, -Jenks + -Putz < -Linebrink, 2011 < 2010 at the moment.

:scratch: My head hurts.

Pablo_Honey
12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Paulie better be thinking of coming back here now that Kenny and Jerry are putting all the chips in and calling the right moves. This team wants him back and they've shown it.

hi im skot
12-03-2010, 03:28 PM

I was told there would be no math.

sox1970
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I think Reinsdorf is the man today. Kenny's lucky he got the money to spend.

asindc
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I think Reinsdorf is the man today. Kenny's lucky he got the money to spend.

Having the money to spend does not fully account for the AJ and Linebrink deals.

Noneck
12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
:scratch: My head hurts.

Yea, It was silly. Paul is better than or equal to Dunn. Losing Linebrink doesnt make up for the loss of Jenks and Putz. AJ is AJ. So at this point the Sox are worse off than last year. I know, the total piece of work is not complete but until it is, its only wait and see, not a big slap on Williams back yet.

hi im skot
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Yea, It was silly. Paul is better than or equal to Dunn. Losing Linebrink doesnt make up for the loss of Jenks and Putz. AJ is AJ. So at this point the Sox are worse off than last year. I know, the total piece of work is not complete but until it is, its only wait and see, not a big slap on Williams back yet.

Putz isn't gone yet.

asindc
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM

I don't mean to say that you don't have a legitimate point, I just didn't understand your formula.:tongue:

doublem23
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Having the money to spend does not fully account for the AJ and Linebrink deals.

Sure it does. KW painted himself into a real bad corner coming into this off-season. The Sox's payroll every year since the World Series had been hovering around $100 M. If Jerry had said that's your budget, we'd be in big, big trouble. The Sox didn't need to sign AJ, we have in houe options, but they're terrible. Same with Linebrink. We're still going to pay $1.5 M for him this year, plus now find another arm to take his spot.

KW is doing a good job with the extra resources he's been alotted, but the guy who authorized that to save KW from some of the ****ty deals he's made in the past 12-18 months is Da Chairman.

asindc
12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Sure it does. KW painted himself into a real bad corner coming into this off-season. The Sox's payroll every year since the World Series had been hovering around $100 M. If Jerry had said that's your budget, we'd be in big, big trouble. The Sox didn't need to sign AJ, we have in houe options, but they're terrible. Same with Linebrink. We're still going to pay $1.5 M for him this year, plus now find another arm to take his spot.

KW is doing a good job with the extra resources he's been alotted, but the guy who authorized that to save KW from some of the ****ty deals he's made in the past 12-18 months is Da Chairman.

I'll give you the $1.5 mil from the Linebrink deal (though I still think KW could have still made that deal without the increase in payroll by targeting a younger reliever who could be signed at or below $4 mil), but nothing about the increased payroll was necessary to signing AJ to a lower salary than previous years.

doublem23
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
but nothing about the increased payroll was necessary to signing AJ to a lower salary than previous years.

Well, yeah, but the Sox have also taken on a lot of big salaries over the past few years that are only increasing, not to mention the arbitration process that Danks and Quentin are going through, their raises in 2011 would have probably eaten all of AJ's old salary alone.

As russ has been pointing out in his salary update thread, with only about 1/2 their roster signed and under contract for the upcoming season, the Sox were already pushing the $100 M mark, which has been the rough budget they've been working with for player salaries for the past 1/2 decade. The only reason KW is able to go out and make these good to outsanding moves of the past few days is because JR has allowed him to start spending money.

asindc
12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Well, yeah, but the Sox have also taken on a lot of big salaries over the past few years that are only increasing, not to mention the arbitration process that Danks and Quentin are going through, their raises in 2011 would have probably eaten all of AJ's old salary alone.

As russ has been pointing out in his salary update thread, with only about 1/2 their roster signed and under contract for the upcoming season, the Sox were already pushing the $100 M mark, which has been the rough budget they've been working with for player salaries for the past 1/2 decade. The only reason KW is able to go out and make these good to outsanding moves of the past few days is because JR has allowed him to start spending money.

Of course that's true, but finding a suitor for Linebrink and getting AJ to take a pay cut were not given. KW still has to make the deals happen. For the record, I'm not popping champagne corks yet, as there still is a lot of work to do.

guillensdisciple
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Said in the press conference that he trusts the fans to back him up in the raise in revenue, and I for one think it's about time we did. I expect White Sox fans to show up in bigger numbers this season, and I intend on getting a 13 game plan either individually or with another fan. This is not a bull**** attempt anymore, the White Sox are trying and we have to back our club up.

WhiteSoxFTW
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
The biggest part is that Kenny got AJ to structure his $8 million dollar deal to pay out $2 million in year 1 and $6 million in year 2. Kenny said in the news conference that Dunn did something similar. KW said he made it clear to both guys they want to win and they want PK back.

Both Dunn and AJ are on board, and so is Jerry and Kenny. How much more love can they show PK?! :D:

DirtySox
12-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Kenny will be getting even more love once he signs Putz. I have a good feeling.

wassagstdu
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I would rather have had Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford, but Dunn is a huge win. At some point in 2011 I would not be surprised to be saying that re-signing AJ was as big a plus or bigger than signing Dunn. Saving some of Linebrink's salary is gravy, and of course signing Konerko will be the next step. Even at this stage I think KW has solidified his status as one of the great Sox GMs ever. Maybe not yet Frank Lane great, but getting there.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Kenny will be getting even more love once he signs Putz. I have a good feeling.

And if he can get rid of Teahen .....:worship:

Corlose 15
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
And if he can get rid of Teahen .....:worship:

Why do people feel that Mark Teahen is the single greatest force preventing the Sox from being successful?

The Teahen vitriol is reach Rob Mackowiak levels.

doublem23
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Why do people feel that Mark Teahen is the single greatest force preventing the Sox from being successful?

The Teahen vitriol is reach Rob Mackowiak levels.

Because Mark Teahen is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful

Corlose 15
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Because Mark Teahen is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful

Do you honestly feel that getting rid of Teahen is a priority for getting this team back into the playoffs? At this point he's probably going to be a super-sub and you feel in that role he's still going to prevent the Sox from being successful?

A. Cavatica
12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
All this and we aren't going to address the team's biggest hole.

:fireozzie

spawn
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM

How original.

KMcMahon817
12-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Do you honestly feel that getting rid of Teahen is a priority for getting this team back into the playoffs? At this point he's probably going to be a super-sub and you feel in that role he's still going to prevent the Sox from being successful?

No. He sucks, but won't hurt the team much if he is only playing a few times a week as a super sub. I actually think he could be pretty useful in that role.

Pablo_Honey
12-03-2010, 08:19 PM

No. He sucks, but won't hurt the team much if he is only playing a few times a week as a super sub. I actually think he could be pretty useful in that role.
The biggest problem with Teahen is his contract. He's getting paid Linebrink money to be our bench player and yet he provides nothing besides "versatility" which translates to "he can't play any position well so might as well throw him anywhere." Kenny's working with an ever increasing payroll and any sort of salary relief like the Linebrink trade will help us getting better players.

Eh, I thought the Sox brass made it clear that they'd live with Ozzie and Kenny for one more year. Surely you didn't expect them to get rid of him now?

Corlose 15
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
The biggest problem with Teahen is his contract. He's getting paid Linebrink money to be our bench player and yet he provides nothing besides "versatility" which translates to "he can't play any position well so might as well throw him anywhere." Kenny's working with an ever increasing payroll and any sort of salary relief like the Linebrink trade will help us getting better players.

Eh, I thought the Sox brass made it clear that they'd live with Ozzie and Kenny for one more year. Surely you didn't expect them to get rid of him now?

Kenny said at the press conference today that they're still in a position to add Konerko, and a relief pitcher as needed. I don't think Teahen's contract is going to be a problem.

DirtySox
12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Good read on Kenny, the Sox, and the past few days:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=5881177

Pablo_Honey
12-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Kenny said at the press conference today that they're still in a position to add Konerko, and a relief pitcher as needed. I don't think Teahen's contract is going to be a problem.
Of course it won't be a huge problem and won't stop Kenny from pursuing other guys. Afterall, Jerry feels like spending some so a bad Mark Teahen contract won't slow him down.

BUT this team has no place for an overpaid benchwarmer who provides absolutely nothing for the team. That's why people want him gone badly. Linebrink was fine for the role he played - his price tag just happened to be way too high for that role. Same thing with Teahen. I am not saying getting rid of Teahen is an absolute priority but it is one of the things Kenny could and should definitely do.

Tragg
12-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Good offseason signing of Dunn and others so far this year.

Not so good the last couple.

His strength is that he isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

soxfanatlanta
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM
He paid Atlanta to take Linebrink.

He got a mighty left handed bat in Dunn which was needed.

He is keeping AJ around for two more years, which is the right thing to do considering what is out there.

All good moves, indeed. He deserves some serious kudos right now, and I'll leave it at that.

doublem23
12-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Still, Hudson + Richard + several prospects + $20 mill >>>>>> Peavy +Jackson

Yawn. The Sox are apparently opening the checkbook, so the money really doesn't seem to be as big a deal, unless, of course, you're an investor in the team. And there's really no guarantee that Hudson + Richard are actually > than Jackson + Peavy. They might be, but it's not like we haven't seen Sox pitching prospects get shelled.

A. Cavatica
12-03-2010, 10:34 PM

No, I just think it's colossally stupid of the Sox to have not gotten rid of Ozzie at the end of the season.

thomas35forever
12-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Kenny's done well, but don't give him the Executive of the Year award just yet. I only care about results.

Mingo
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I remember reading Paul Konerko getting quoted as saying 'I'm not going to give a home town discount.' Kenny Williams is calling Paulie's bluff big time. He has in the nicest possible way manuevered Paulie into considering his proposal knowing players on the team he is captain of - have foregone salary on their deals to give KW room to offer Konerko his new contract. In addition, Kenny has made it look like the only missing piece in a World Series contender team is the return of Paul Konerko - and he will have big time protection in the lineup for the rest of his White Sox career. The Media has bought the whole story line like an unexpected Christmas present. I don't know how it will all work out on the field, but Kenny Williams has pulled off a master manipulation.

Go White Sox!

hawkjt
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Of course it won't be a huge problem and won't stop Kenny from pursuing other guys. Afterall, Jerry feels like spending some so a bad Mark Teahen contract won't slow him down.

BUT this team has no place for an overpaid benchwarmer who provides absolutely nothing for the team. That's why people want him gone badly. Linebrink was fine for the role he played - his price tag just happened to be way too high for that role. Same thing with Teahen. I am not saying getting rid of Teahen is an absolute priority but it is one of the things Kenny could and should definitely do.

A lot of fans were saying the same thing about Alex Rios last year at this time. I think there is a good chance that Teahen can settle in this year,in year 2, and be a productive lefty hitter. He can play first and give PK a break vs tough righties, same with Carlos in right field.
With Juan,AJ,Adam Dunn and Teahen,the Sox can throw 4 lefties out there vs tough righties...throw in Omar,and you have decent balance vs righties.

I am not a huge fan of Teahen,and if he was dealt I would be ok,but I am willing to see if he comes back to form this year, in an injury-free year.
last year he broke his finger and it messed him up right from the beginning.

hawkjt
12-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Good read on Kenny, the Sox, and the past few days:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=5881177

Cowley will be disapointed to hear that Kenny and Ozzie ''greeted each other warmly on Thursday''...Joe is so invested in the Ozzie vs Kenny wars,he refuses to believe that they can work together again...sorry Joe, you are full of crap.

And for those who insist that Jerry does not spend freely on the Sox to win....wrong. Reinsdorf spends freely,and hopefully wisely,which is the tougher part. Sox fans have to show up this year.

DonnieDarko
12-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Depending on how pricey tickets are, I will go to at least two games next year...which is one more than I did last year.

gobears1987
12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Let's hope Kenny gets it done because I want to hear this song at the park next year.

tiko56p9sto

soltrain21
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Let's hope Kenny gets it done because I want to hear this song at the park next year.

tiko56p9sto

He actually held a press conference at the end of the season to say he was changing walk up music. Really, this makes a lot more sense.

447yaU_4DF8

HomeFish
12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
That's cool; are there any other YouTube videos up like that? I'd love to see a Shingo Takatsu tribute video with his entrance music (which, after years of searching, I was able to get an MP3 copy of)

tstrike2000
12-04-2010, 02:05 PM

My monitor powered itself off after your post appeared.

Frankfan4life
12-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Thats the rub. If we don't resign Konerko, then this baseball team is no better and probably worse then we were last year. I am waiting till Konerko resigns before I get too excited.Totally witcha. Hopefully the Dunn signing will be an incentive for Konerko to come around.

SI1020
12-05-2010, 09:38 AM
His strength is that he isn't afraid to pull the trigger. It's also his weakness. KW is compelled to swing for the fences, and as such he'll have his share of strikeouts. He's always been streaky, and it's time for him to go on another roll. It looks like he just might be doing that.

SephClone89
12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Depending on how pricey tickets are, I will go to at least two games next year...which is one more than I did last year.

You know, you can find tickets for around $10 at some places...just saying that going to a baseball game doesn't have to be this massive investment that people think it is. Especially since you live in the city.

DonnieDarko
12-05-2010, 12:39 PM
You know, you can find tickets for around $10 at some places...just saying that going to a baseball game doesn't have to be this massive investment that people think it is. Especially since you live in the city.

Places like StubHub, right? Yeah, I discovered that last year AFTER I went to that one game (sadly, I couldn't afford the time, money or emotional investment after that first game of the last homestand against the Twins...ugh!), and if I can find decent seats for less than 20 a pop, I'll definitely consider going to more games.