PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo passes away

keloms
12-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Just heard on WGN Radio that Cubs radio announcer Ron Santo has passed away after a battle with cancer. He was 70. :(:

ZombieRob
12-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Listening to Grobstien. He's saying the flagship is saying Ron Santo has died:o: Edit I guess it's been confirmed. Bladder Cancer R.I.P Ron. There was another thread made in talking baseball at the same time i made this. So please delete or merge.

rookieroy
12-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Not good news to wake up to, that's for sure.

jlim
12-03-2010, 05:34 AM
RIP Ron. :(:

1908<2005
12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Rip.

Rikirk
12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
The guy seemed like a genuinely decent guy. Shame they did not let him into the HOF...

Godspeed Ron.

1908<2005
12-03-2010, 06:03 AM
RIP Ron

Probably shouldn't have put it in WTS.

Boondock Saint
12-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Wow. Didn't know he was in such bad shape. RIP.

SephClone89
12-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Holy ****. Didn't see this one coming.

Terrible broadcaster, but obviously very important to the city and Cubs fans. RIP

VenturaFan23
12-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I didn't even know he had bladder cancer. I knew about the diabetes of course. RIP Ron :(:

34rancher
12-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Ron Santo passed away overnight at age 70. I may not have liked him as a broadcaster, but he was a good man. Enjoyed every conversation I ever had with him. RIP buddy.

DrCrawdad
12-03-2010, 07:20 AM
For having "Juvenile" (Type 1) Diabetes, Santo lived a long, rich life. Of course for Santo's family and his vast number of friends & fans it was not long enough.

I always thought it would be fun to buy a Ron Santo 1974 White Sox home jersey and wear it to Crosstown Games.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtj6VdaBzIBwWLIGTazdHHBY30ujO5H AmAJxKtdtCdT0XP1ks4nw

I'll share what I thought was a funny story about Santo. 1999 (ok, I'm not certain of the year but it was before 2002 and after 1998) the Cubs are playing a midweek afternoon game at Wrigley in the spring. That particular day it was raining, cold and very windy. In spite of the conditions, they went ahead with the game, as teams often do. So where I was working at the time they had the Cubs game blasting on the sound system. I faxed the WGN Cubs radio booth a question asking Santo how he was able to hold his toupee down in that wind. Low and behold Santo reads the fax on the radio. You could tell at first he was ticked off then he started to have fun with it. I wish I had a recording of his comments and while I don't think he was a good broadcaster, nor funny (as folks often a ledge), his comments that day sure were funny to me.

I have to admit to not being a fan of Santo's and frankly didn't care at all about his getting into Hall of Fame in fact I found the constant whining and campaigning by Santo and his supporters aggravating, BUT I respect what he accomplished (especially in view of his diabetes). And on that cold, wind spring day when Santo read my fax I gained an appreciation for the broadcaster and the man.

Juice16
12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Very sad to see someone go so young. RIP Ron.

Thome25
12-03-2010, 07:30 AM
RIP Ron Santo. God rest your soul.

jamokes
12-03-2010, 07:41 AM
RIP...........he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Viva Medias B's
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
:rip:
Requiescat in Pace, Ronnie

:santo

GoGoCrede
12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Had no idea he was sick. Unfortunate news to wake up to. Rest in peace.

robertks61
12-03-2010, 08:01 AM
R.I.P. Ron.

johnnyg83
12-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I found him annoying at times, but the man loved his team and made for some great schadenfreude moments (for me) in the booth.

RIP, you will be missed.

ChiSoxGirl
12-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I woke up at 5:30 this morning, like usual for a Friday, and turned on the TV in my bedroom as I made my bed. When I saw the "BREAKING NEWS: Ron Santo Dies" headline at the bottom of the screen, and heard Peggy Kusinski talking about Santo, I was like :mg:. I knew he missed a handful of road trips last season, but had no idea he had bladder cancer. It was very surprising news and I feel for my friends who are Cub fans.

gobears1987
12-03-2010, 08:20 AM
The guy seemed like a genuinely decent guy. Shame they did not let him into the HOF...

Godspeed Ron.

He's another one for the Hall of Pretty Good. I hope he doesn't get inducted as a posthumous honor because it just further waters down Cooperstown.

That being said, RIP Ron. You were a great person and had a tough deck dealt to you in the latter part of your life. You always handled it well though and did what you loved.

aryzner
12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Wow. RIP Ron Santo.

g0g0
12-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Very sad to hear this. The man was respected and loved by the Cubs and fans, and gave everything he had for the organization. He was a fighter on and off the field. Another link to some of the good times for Cubs baseball gone too early. RIP Ron. :(:

russ99
12-03-2010, 08:40 AM
That's sad.

RIP, Ron, and condolences to his family.

Not thrilled with the way he was he broadcast voice of the Cubs as a vocal fan, but that doesn't diminish what he did as a ballplayer and his very brave struggle against his disease costing him limbs, and his heroism in becoming a public face in the fight for a cure.

Ron also played for the Sox in 1973, but by then the disease was affecting his play, so we can't hold that year's performance against him.

tstrike2000
12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Rest in peace Ron.

dwitt76
12-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Rip #10

twentywontowin
12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Can't say I'm particularly broken up at the news considering the stories I've heard of his personal life (drinking heavily despite his medical condition, rude to fans), but anytime someone dies, it's a sad day. Especially of cancer, which is a cruel disease.

RIP Santo, say hi to Harry for the Sox fans.

TheOldRoman
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
My condolences to his family. From what I've heard, Santo was a good guy.

I would like to take the opportunity to rip the Hall of Fame. I imagine he will make it in in 2011 now that he has died, as the groundswell of support will be even bigger. The Hall of Fame is a joke, as is their selection process. Why would dying make him a better candidate? I wasn't alive when Santo played and can't say if he deserves to be there or not, but if he DOES deserve to be in the Hall, why would these *******s wait until after he died and not let him enjoy his enshrinement? If he doesn't deserve to be in, fine. But if he does deserve to be in, he should have been in 20 years ago.

Law11
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Sad news to wake up to thats for sure. I know a freind of mine with very close ties to Ron and his family. (His dad played for the Cards back int he day) Told me a long time ago that Ron said "F the HOF , I dont want them voting me in when Im dead".

Say what you what but the guy was the genuine article.

asindc
12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
RIP, Mr. Santo.

Fenway
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP Ron

SI1020
12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
He's another one for the Hall of Pretty Good. I hope he doesn't get inducted as a posthumous honor because it just further waters down Cooperstown.

That being said, RIP Ron. You were a great person and had a tough deck dealt to you in the latter part of your life. You always handled it well though and did what you loved. Santo was better than pretty good. He was a top of the line third baseman in his prime, one of the best ever I saw at stopping the sharply hit ball down the line. I have no doubt that if the Cubs had hung on in 69 and taken the pennant he would now be in the Hall along with teammates Jenkins, Williams and Banks. I agree that the HOF has many questionable enshrinees, but Santo was equal to or better than many of them. My condolences to his friends, family and Cub fans. Whatever his faults the man dearly loved his team, and fought through a lot of physical problems with strength and perseverance.

SoxGirl4Life
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
RIP Ron.

salty99
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
RIP Ron Santo.

LongLiveFisk
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I was sad to hear the news. I know as Sox fans, many of us would sometimes take little jabs at him, but he was definitely unique and a big part of baseball on the north side. I imagine they will get the statue started over there.

And I agree about the HOF thing. If you didn't want him when he was alive, don't put him in now just because he's gone.

RIP, Ron.

FielderJones
12-03-2010, 11:22 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-ron-santo-chicago-cubs-obit,0,1699814.story

QueerGirrl
12-03-2010, 12:20 PM

A sad day for baseball fans. RIP Ron.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Thinking a lot of things about Ron Santo but this story from Carlos May to me in an interview comes to mind.

It was early in the season, the Sox were playing at home and it was cold out, Santo was DH'ing that night and May said he was back in the clubhouse for whatever reason.

He comes out to the dugout and asks Dick Allen what the opposing pitcher was throwing since he was getting ready to hit. May said Allen looked at him and said, "if you had your ass out here with us you'd know what he was throwing..."

Santo was not popular among his teammates with the Sox and according to some even when he played with the Cubs. Always sorry to hear when a player passes but I have wondered if things would have been easier for him if he'd taken care of himself after being told about his illness instead of drinking heavily which made the condition worse and if he's stop "crying" about the HOF situation.

Two voters for the Hall told me they'd never vote for him under any circumstances because of his complaining about the process and his situation.

Maybe now in death his spirit will find some peace.

Lip

soxinem1
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Thinking a lot of things about Ron Santo but this story from Carlos May to me in an interview comes to mind.

It was early in the season, the Sox were playing at home and it was cold out, Santo was DH'ing that night and May said he was back in the clubhouse for whatever reason.

He comes out to the dugout and asks Dick Allen what the opposing pitcher was throwing since he was getting ready to hit. May said Allen looked at him and said, "if you had your ass out here with us you'd know what he was throwing..."

Santo was not popular among his teammates with the Sox and according to some even when he played with the Cubs. Always sorry to hear when a player passes but I have wondered if things would have been easier for him if he'd taken care of himself after being told about his illness instead of drinking heavily which made the condition worse and if he's stop "crying" about the HOF situation.

Two voters for the Hall told me they'd never vote for him under any circumstances because of his complaining about the process and his situation.

Maybe now in death his spirit will find some peace.

Lip

My sympathies to the cub family and Santo's too, and +1 on the posting.

We never want to see someone die but don't use it as an excuse to do something you opposed when they were alive.

whitem0nkey
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I feel for his fans and his family, but your opinion of him while he was alive should not change after his death. and I will applaud the money he raised for diabetes.

thomas35forever
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Whether you're a Cubs or a White Sox fan and regardless of what you thought of him as a broadcaster, you can't deny that he went through a lot of struggles and did so courageously. He seemed like a good guy too. RIP Ron.:(:

Nellie_Fox
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
He comes out to the dugout and asks Dick Allen what the opposing pitcher was throwing since he was getting ready to hit. May said Allen looked at him and said, "if you had your ass out here with us you'd know what he was throwing..."I can't tell who the "he" and "him" in this context is. Was he talking to May or Santo?

LongLiveFisk
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't tell who the "he" and "him" in this context is. Was he talking to May or Santo?

I read it a couple of times and I had the same issue but in the context of the whole post, he had to be talking to Santo. I don't think the other way would have made much of a point. But I'm sure Lip will clarify.

JB98
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM
When I was a sportswriter out in Sterling, I had a chance to interview Ron when he appeared at a local Sherwin-Williams store to sign autographs for the fans.

It was a good interview. He gave candid, honest answers to my questions. I enjoyed talking to him and got a pretty good story out of the deal.

Whenever I think of Santo, I think of that conversation I had with him that day in the Sherwin-Williams store. He had the same passion for the Cubs that many of us have for the Sox. I respect that.

RIP, Ron.

twentywontowin
12-03-2010, 01:46 PM
When I was a sportswriter out in Sterling, I had a chance to interview Ron when he appeared at a local Sherwin-Williams store to sign autographs for the fans.

It was a good interview. He gave candid, honest answers to my questions. I enjoyed talking to him and got a pretty good story out of the deal.

Whenever I think of Santo, I think of that conversation I had with him that day in the Sherwin-Williams store. He had the same passion for the Cubs that many of us have for the Sox. I respect that.

RIP, Ron.

Flip side story, I'm talking to a guy at work today who is a huge Cubs fan. Family owned a sign making business and made up some signs specifically for Santo with his picture on them. The guy had an extra one made and asked to get it signed, and Santo said no.

Guy goes to his friend, big executive for WGN/Tribune and he sets up a meeting with Santo to get it signed. The guy I work with shows up, and Santo blew him off.

Fenway
12-03-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/cursed/haunted/images/santo-shea%20curse.jpg

SoxThunder
12-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Cubs baseball has now claimed the life of two broadcasters: Harry and Ron.

It won't be the same listening to Cubs games on the radio. He will be missed.

Pablo_Honey
12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a friend with a Type 1 diabetes and it's painful to watch him struggle through it from time to time. Can't believe Ron Santo managed to have such a good career for someone with that kind of condition. Rest in peace.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Nellie:

Sorry for the confusion. In the story Santo is asking Dick what the pitcher is throwing when Allen made his remark about being here in the dugout in the cold instead of back in the heated clubhouse. The story was told to me by Carlos May.

Lip

JB98
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Flip side story, I'm talking to a guy at work today who is a huge Cubs fan. Family owned a sign making business and made up some signs specifically for Santo with his picture on them. The guy had an extra one made and asked to get it signed, and Santo said no.

Guy goes to his friend, big executive for WGN/Tribune and he sets up a meeting with Santo to get it signed. The guy I work with shows up, and Santo blew him off.

Every prominent sports figure in the world at one point or another has said 'no' to an autograph or blown somebody off. That's just how it is.

There are stories out there like this about literally every single athlete. Never kid yourself otherwise.

twentywontowin
12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Every prominent sports figure in the world at one point or another has said 'no' to an autograph or blown somebody off. That's just how it is.

There are stories out there like this about literally every single athlete. Never kid yourself otherwise.

I'm well aware. But to blow off the same guy twice, especially when requested by senior management?

JermaineDye05
12-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I feel especially bad since he never got the chance to see the Cubs win the WS.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 03:40 PM
But he got to see the Sox win one...does that count? (Never forget he was a White Sox in 1974)

:smile:

Lip

g0g0
12-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm well aware. But to blow off the same guy twice, especially when requested by senior management?

Real classy. Sounds like an ass to go around Santo after he said no to try and force him to do it through upper management. I would have blew him off too...

LITTLE NELL
12-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Back when I watched him play. I always thought that he was probably after Eddie Matthews the best third baseman I had seen and should be in the HOF. He was as good as anyone on the slow roller and picking it up with his throwing hand and nipping the runner at 1st base.
One of the things that hurt his election in the hall was the clicking of the heels back in 69 after a Cubs win and I'm sure many of the NY writers resented that and had good memories. I know I hated it.

Noneck
12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
One of the things that hurt his election in the hall was the clicking of the heels back in 69 after a Cubs win and I'm sure many of the NY writers resented that and had good memories. I know I hated it.
And on the other hand, Ozzie Smiths gymnastic moves probably helped him get into the Hall. Popularity contests are never fair.

LITTLE NELL
12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
And on the other hand, Ozzie Smiths gymnastic moves probably helped him get into the Hall. Popularity contests are never fair.

Ozzie did it before the game as he reached his posistion, not in celebration of a win. In this day and age no one would give Santo's heel clicking a second thought but back in 69, thats another story.

gogosox675
12-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Say what you want about his broadcasting skills (or lack thereof), his love for the Cubs was unparalleled by anyone except for maybe Ernie Banks. RIP, Ron.

asindc
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Ozzie did it before the game as he reached his posistion, not in celebration of a win. In this day and age no one would give Santo's heel clicking a second thought but back in 69, thats another story.

I'm surprised that anyone would have cared in 1969.

downstairs
12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Real classy. Sounds like an ass to go around Santo after he said no to try and force him to do it through upper management. I would have blew him off too...

Exactly... especially since he requested a physical meeting with Santo? I don't fault Santo for not hitching a ride out to someone's office to give them an autograph.

I never understood the fetish with autographs... unless you're an actual collector and take your collection seriously.

Whenever I run into someone famous I usually just say hello, maybe shake their hand, and if they're in the mood to strike up a conversion I let them.

SI1020
12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised that anyone would have cared in 1969. Oh times have changed quite a bit, believe me. The histronics in all of sports we take for granted today were seen as poor sportsmanship and boorish once upon a time.

Nellie_Fox
12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh times have changed quite a bit, believe me. The histronics in all of sports we take for granted today were seen as poor sportsmanship and boorish once upon a time.Absolutely true.

LITTLE NELL
12-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh times have changed quite a bit, believe me. The histronics in all of sports we take for granted today were seen as poor sportsmanship and boorish once upon a time.

Exactly, if anybody did a curtain call or stood and admired a HR with Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale on the mound, that guy would have a ball in his ear the next time up.

Red Barchetta
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Exactly, if anybody did a curtain call or stood and admired a HR with Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale on the mound, that guy would have a ball in his ear the next time up.

I read a story about Don Drysdale where he was pitching his last game of the season and an opposing runner stole second base during the later innings with his team down by a lot of runs. Apparently, Drysdale turned around on the mound and gave him a cold stare.

The next season, the first time this runner faced Drysdale, he was hit. :D:

I agree about the showboating, taunting, admiring, etc. The NBA and NFL are still worse IMO than MLB, however it's tough teaching your kids how to play sports with grace when they watch how the pros act. :(:

Hitmen77
12-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I remember the Royals complaining when Sox hitters would do "curtain calls" to the fans in 1977. They apparently saw it as showboating. Nowadays, those curtain calls seem like part of the game.

SephClone89
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Okay, but Ruth was a showboater. Tipping his cap while rounding the bases, etc. It's the same idea.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that baseball history wasn't static. It was prone to shifts and ebbs and flows much like the rest of history.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Jeff Torborg has the classic story of catching Drysdale one day against the Giants. Willie Mays stepped in and completely forgetting who was on the mound, starting digging a hole in the batter's box with his right foot.

When Willie realized who was on the mound, Torborg said he asked for time, got it and filled in the hole!

Drysdale is watching all this.

When the game resumed, Torborg said, the first pitch from Drysdale knocked Willie flat on his rear end.

Now THAT's baseball!

Lip

Oblong
12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I gotta say Santo was better than I thought. I never really looked at his stats. I was born in 73 so never saw him play. I only knew him as the Cubs broadcaster and a guy whining about not being in the HOF. He had a damn good career. Classic borderline HOFer if you ask me. If he were in he'd be far from the worst guy in but there's also guys I would put in ahead of him.

RIP

slavko
12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Jeff Torborg has the classic story of catching Drysdale one day against the Giants. Willie Mays stepped in and completely forgetting who was on the mound, starting digging a hole in the batter's box with his right foot.

When Willie realized who was on the mound, Torborg said he asked for time, got it and filled in the hole!

Drysdale is watching all this.

When the game resumed, Torborg said, the first pitch from Drysdale knocked Willie flat on his rear end.

Now THAT's baseball!

Lip

I've never seen anyone get out of the way of a pitch like Willie, God bless him. Insanely quick reaction time. Great story. Guys nowadays just let themselves get hit, but not upstairs.

Where did bad sportsmanship in sports start? I think Muhammad Ali was part of it and he admitted to being a pro wrestling fan and getting much of his act from growing up watching it. Still less of it in baseball which is part of why I love the game.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Oblong:

Santo certainly brought out the "passion" in people regarding the Hall of Fame. Case in point. This summer when I was in Chicago I met with a former player while attending a Sox game. We talked for about twenty minutes while watching the game.

This individual was a contemporary of Santo, played in numerous All Star Games, won multiple World Series, played against him a few seasons when he was in the N.L. Somehow the conversation got around to him and he wasn't hiding his feeling about him. What I remember was him very passionately saying something along these lines. "Santo in the Hall of Fame? What BS! He was a god damned .260 hitter..."

I started laughing and he then said a few other rather uncomplimentary things about him.

It really was funny.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2010, 10:13 PM

His teammates would feel Gibson or Drysdale's wrath as well.
If someone had homered off one of them "back in the day",
the odds were the next batter was going to hit the dirt as well.

Viva Medias B's
12-03-2010, 10:59 PM
The funeral arrangements (http://www.wgnradio.com/wgnam-ron-santo-visitation-funeral-arrangements,0,6819793.story) for Ron Santo have been announced:

There will be a public visitation for Ron at Holy Name Cathedral (http://holynamecathedral.org/) (North State Street at Superior Street) on Thrusday, December 9, beginning at 4:00 p.m.
A Mass of the Resurrection will be offered for Ron at Holy Name Cathedral at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, December 10. There will be limited seating available for the general public.

Brian26
12-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Exactly... especially since he requested a physical meeting with Santo? I don't fault Santo for not hitching a ride out to someone's office to give them an autograph.

I never understood the fetish with autographs... unless you're an actual collector and take your collection seriously.

Whenever I run into someone famous I usually just say hello, maybe shake their hand, and if they're in the mood to strike up a conversion I let them.

I think I've read that Ron would sign anything for a small, humble donation to his charitable organization. This is just a silly story, and I don't blame Santo for blowing him off the second time either.

Fenway
12-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I gotta say Santo was better than I thought. I never really looked at his stats. I was born in 73 so never saw him play. I only knew him as the Cubs broadcaster and a guy whining about not being in the HOF. He had a damn good career. Classic borderline HOFer if you ask me. If he were in he'd be far from the worst guy in but there's also guys I would put in ahead of him.

RIP

Bill James is one of Santo's biggest backers - he points out that Santo hit .287 in his career with men on base, as opposed to .269 with the bases empty. He homered as often with men on base as with the bases empty. He did tend to fade late in the season, perhaps because he was playing every day, or perhaps related to his diabetes.

bridgeportcopper
12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Oblong:

Santo certainly brought out the "passion" in people regarding the Hall of Fame. Case in point. This summer when I was in Chicago I met with a former player while attending a Sox game. We talked for about twenty minutes while watching the game.

This individual was a contemporary of Santo, played in numerous All Star Games, won multiple World Series, played against him a few seasons when he was in the N.L. Somehow the conversation got around to him and he wasn't hiding his feeling about him. What I remember was him very passionately saying something along these lines. "Santo in the Hall of Fame? What BS! He was a god damned .260 hitter..."

I started laughing and he then said a few other rather uncomplimentary things about him.

It really was funny.

Lip

How is Moose doing? :wink:

Nellie_Fox
12-04-2010, 01:44 AM
I agree about the showboating, taunting, admiring, etc. The NBA and NFL are still worse IMO than MLB, however it's tough teaching your kids how to play sports with grace when they watch how the pros act. :(:I was watching one of the rounds of the Little League World Series this year. One of the kids hit a home run. He did a very demonstrative bat flip, then stood at home plate watching it while peeling off his batting gloves before starting a slow walk toward first. Little League. I immediately turned it off.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Oblong:

It really was funny.

Lip

That's great. I'm guessing that was Moose? Funny guy.

gobears1987
12-04-2010, 06:22 AM
How is Moose doing? :wink:

My thoughts exactly.

tick53
12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Rest in peace Ron. :(:

Johnny Mostil
12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
He was a god damned .260 hitter

Closer to .280, and more precisely .277. But I'd agree not a HoF player.

I hope nobody calls me a goddamn (of all words!) anything the day after I die. Maybe I'm just being a goddamn pious ******* here.

Medford Bobby
12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
One of my few lasting images of Santo was in the Cubs club house with the team celebrating (2007) and having a beer with the guys....that would be like Ed Farmer acting as if were with the players on the field all year long getting sprayed on and chugging a Bud can.... :scratch:

Frontman
12-04-2010, 11:21 AM
While I never thought he was a good broadcaster; he certainly was a solid player, and he did a TON of work for diabetes research. He also stood as a symbol for those who have diabetes (or any disease or handicap for that matter.) That whatever you have, whatever challenges you may face; face them head on and don't stop from trying to achieve what you want to do. Santo played professional baseball with Type I diabetes; in an era that didn't have the medical technology and understanding that we have today.

He certainly gave it his all; and even with the loss of both his legs to the disease; he stood tall.

I for one feel the city lost one of our own yesterday.

RIP Ron.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Johnny:

The conversation with the player took place in July, just for clarification.

Lip

kittle42
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I just passed by Wrigley Field and there is an entire line of flowers and other things at the front of the stadium for Santo, surrounded by about 15 people taking photos.

viagracat
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
The thing about Santo I'll always respect, besides his work on behalf of finding the cure, is that he absolutely didn't give a damn about his style in the broadcast booth. He said what he thought, plain and simple. Semantics didn't mean anything to the guy. He really was the voice of the average fan. Now he aggravated me, but that's primarily because I'm a die-hard Sox fan who has little use for the Cubs. If he were a Sox announcer I probably would've related to him a lot more, and there was nothing funnier on the radio anywhere than him when the Cubs were blowing a game. You're not going to see too many more guys like him on the radio.

I saw him play back in the day; he was a hell of a good defensive third baseman and he obviously had power. He probably would be in the HOF today if not for his reputation as a hot dog with a short fuse as a player. Those who vote have long memories.

The guy was one of a kind, and I'll miss him for that.

Viva Medias B's
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Did anyone see the Ron Santo funeral yesterday? I thought Pat Hughes' tribute to Santo was pretty good.

ernie14
12-12-2010, 12:23 AM
REST IN PEACE

Is he being cremated?

keloms
12-12-2010, 03:41 AM
REST IN PEACE

Is he being cremated?

Yes, according to an ESPN report, he was going to be cremated and his ashes scattered at Wrigley Field.

ewokpelts
12-12-2010, 11:40 AM
One of my few lasting images of Santo was in the Cubs club house with the team celebrating (2007) and having a beer with the guys....that would be like Ed Farmer acting as if were with the players on the field all year long getting sprayed on and chugging a Bud can.... :scratch:broadcasters travel with the team. they essentially are parts of the team, even though thier job is in a booth.

you dont think hawk celebrates with the guys when the sox win a playoff berth?

Viva Medias B's
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes, according to an ESPN report, he was going to be cremated and his ashes scattered at Wrigley Field.

Not to get technical, but Ron Santo's cremated remains are supposed to be interred and not scattered. Ron was a Catholic, and the Catholic Church does allow Catholics to be cremated, even though it preferrs non-cremation. However, the Church requires (http://www.catholiccemeterieschicago.org/faq.php) that cremated remains be interred in a niche or a grave.