PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Singleton wants out.

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 07:49 AM
From the Daily SouthTown:
Singleton's ready, willing to move on
Monday, August 6, 2001
By Joe Cowley
Staff writer
His voice is still calm and his demeanor remains low-key. But White Sox center fielder Chris Singleton might be close to the breaking point where his role with the team is concerned.
When rookie Aaron Rowand began getting playing time in center field ahead of Singleton a couple of weeks ago, Singleton met with Manager Jerry Manuel and got the answers he wanted to hear.

"Anything that I may have thought was cleared up with simple conversation with the manager," Singleton said July 23. "I think I had your basic general concerns that a player has. I want to be a team player, but I also want to play."

Singleton believed at the time that the Sox were simply evaluating the 23-year-old Rowand. Singleton, 28, thought the situation would play itself out in his favor, and he expected to get his starting job back.

That hasn't happened, and it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Rowand started his sixth straight game in center field Sunday, and Singleton is playing an extended waiting game.

"I'm in the stage that all I can say is I have to see how the next couple of months play out," Singleton said. "I've got less than 60 days left in the season. Anything from now or after that ... we'll see. I guess I have no comment. There's a deeper side to this, but I can't comment on it.

"I hope Aaron plays well. I really do. Through him playing well, it gives me an opportunity in other ways. This center field job out there is not the only center field job in the game."

Singleton, in his third season with the Sox, is hitting .271 with three home runs and 21 RBI, and he has a disappointing .297 on-base percentage.

After hitting a home run Sunday to go 1-for-4, Rowand is batting .293 with three homers and 11 RBI in 208 fewer at-bats than Singleton has. The key stat in Rowand's favor is his on-base percentage of .387.

With the non-waiver trade deadline behind them, the Sox can move Singleton this season only if he clears waivers. Singleton sounds as if he would welcome a trade.

"I think it would be a very possible thing if the White Sox are willing," he said. "The ball is in their court. If they were to (keep me as a fourth outfielder), then I would have to have a pretty solid agreement. But that's basically what they're saying now. Do I accept that? No. Am I looking to do something else? Yes. Or go somewhere else? Very much so.

"Some type of decision is going to be made here in the future. Things will be coming to a head here soon, and then we won't have to speculate any longer."

Iguana775
08-06-2001, 09:13 AM
well, KW, what are you wait for?? lets make a deal. prolly wont be able to get too much out of him in the offseason but there really is no use for him here if he doesnt want to be the 4th OFer

Bmr31
08-06-2001, 11:44 AM
BUH BYE Chris....