PDA

View Full Version : Sox Expected to Non-Tender Jenks

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
This should shock no one. The non-tender deadline is tonight.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/2848/source-sox-expected-to-nontender-jenks

salty99
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I am shocked!

asindc
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
:smile::smile::smile:

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
It's also worth noting that there is a chance Pena might be non-tendered as well.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm shocked.

I though they were going to shoot him instead.

soxfanatlanta
12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I though they were going to shoot him instead.

Like Old Yeller?

asindc
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Like Old Yeller?

Except in this case, the kid (Ozzie) would not be standing by crying "Don't shoot 'em Pa" to the dad (KW).

Noneck
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Saying goodbye to Jenks and Pena, not being able to sign Putz opens up a massive bullpen hole. Thornton and 2nd year man Santos and then what? I dont think throwing Sale in this pot would be the right thing to do for this kid. This bullpen is now the scariest hole for next year.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Saying goodbye to Jenks and Pena, not being able to sign Putz opens up a massive bullpen hole. Thornton and 2nd year man Santos and then what? I dont think throwing Sale in this pot would be the right thing to do for this kid. This bullpen is now the scariest hole for next year.
Putz has not signed with anyone, so how can you say the Sox were not able to sign him?

Noneck
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Putz has not signed with anyone, so how can you say the Sox were not able to sign him?

What I have read is that he is getting a lot of interest and wants 3 years. It sounds like he wants a Linebrink type contract. Hope I am wrong but if not , major danger ahead.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM

From most accounts it seems that Sale will be starting next year. Also, we still aren't sure about Pena. It's just that he's starting to cost a bit of money, and it's very comparable to the Carrasco situation. But yes, there are certainly bullpen holes to fill. I suspect at least one of those holes will be filled internally by one of Carter/Infante/Harrell.

doublem23
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Because we also have no payroll flexibility.

I'm not ready to say good-bye to Putz, maybe he'll give us a break and a small discout for allowing him to revitalize his career last year when nobody wanted him, but if he's after the payday, he gone.

mjmcend
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Because we also have no payroll flexibility.

I'm not ready to say good-bye to Putz, maybe he'll give us a break and a small discout for allowing him to revitalize his career last year when nobody wanted him, but if he's after the payday, he gone.

I would bet that he also wants a shot to close. He can get that here now that Jenks is gone. How much of a pay cut he would be willing to take to close is anyone's guess, though.

russ99
12-02-2010, 12:32 PM
It's also worth noting that there is a chance Pena might be non-tendered as well.

Depends if one of the prospect relievers are ready to step up. Pena's got a decent arm, but I don't know if he's worth $1.75-2M.

Candidates for this spot: Aquino, Braun, Santeliz, Infante, Carter.

With Putz, I think the Sox would bring him back to compete for closer with Thornton and Santos, as long as he's signed for below a closer's salary which starts at $6.5M

soxinem1
12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be against bringing Octavio Dotel back. For what he was signed for last year it would actually be reasonable.

Not sure about Thornton as an everyday closer. It is common knowledge he does not bounce back well.

I do believe you can pretty much color Putz gone. I can see 3 years, $21 million being paid by his next team.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't be against bringing Octavio Dotel back. For what he was signed for last year it would actually be reasonable.

Not sure about Thornton as an everyday closer. It is common knowledge he does not bounce back well.

I do believe you can pretty much color Putz gone. I can see 3 years, $21 million being paid by his next team.

I would not mind Dotel either.

I think building a good bullpen is all about luck. Take it one year at a time and see what happens. Don't fall into another Linebrink disaster.

2005 should remind us about how lucky one can get with the bullpen in one year. Then guys can breakdown and suck the following year.

DirtySox
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Depends if one of the prospect relievers are ready to step up. Pena's got a decent arm, but I don't know if he's worth $1.75-2M.

Candidates for this spot: Aquino, Braun, Santeliz, Infante, Carter.

With Putz, I think the Sox would bring him back to compete for closer with Thornton and Santos, as long as he's signed for below a closer's salary which starts at $6.5M

I wouldn't count on Braun personally. Also, Santeliz is a minor league free agent currently. But yes, there are some internal options with Carter and Infante near the top of the list. Infante has the best stuff out of those options though.

gr8mexico
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
The Sox shoud be looking to bring back D.J Carrasco.
He was just non tendered.

thomas35forever
12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Sad, but it had to be done. He doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank or maybe he just needs a change in atmosphere.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
It happened.
Continue discussion here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124696).