View Full Version : SoxFest 2011 Thread

JermaineDye05
12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Per Scott Merkin

http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/statuses/10055826622382081

http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/statuses/10056033846173697

http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/statuses/10056157242589184

Current: Beckham, Jackson, Lillibridge, Pierre, Alexei, Sale, Ozzie, Baines

Former: Roberto Hernandez, Jose Valentin, along with the usual suspects Ron Kittle, Bill Melton, and Minnie Minoso.

I think it's cool that Jose Valentin will be there. I was always a fan of his offense.

Naturally this is all subject to change as SoxFest is still over a month away.

salty99
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Nice start to the list, keep them coming.

tstrike2000
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I'll go if Valentin still has the stache.

salty99
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20101201&content_id=16236468&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I'll go if Valentin still has the stache.

Stone Fingers!!!

tstrike2000
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Stone Fingers!!!

It'll be good to see him...assuming stache present.

JermaineDye05
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Stone Fingers!!!

I wasn't around WSI when Valentin was here. I assume that nickname refers to his horrible defense, no?

Nelfox02
12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
was really hoping to see The Big Hurt on the intial schedule.......really hoping he is added at some point..........

Daver
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I wasn't around WSI when Valentin was here. I assume that nickname refers to his horrible defense, no?

Horrible is not what I would use to describe Valentin's defensive skills.

Brian26
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Jose could have nine errors and three strikeouts in the game and still send everyone home happy with a walkoff blast. It was hard not to like him.

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

That wasn't his official nickname... just one that my good friend, tstrike2000 bestowed upon him. :tongue:

Lowell80
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I can't wait---do I need to bring anything---

konerko 14
12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I can't wait---do I need to bring anything---
if you're interested in getting autographs you could bring stuff to get signed, but they have a lot of things you can buy there and get signed.

LongLiveFisk
12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Jose could have nine errors and three strikeouts in the game and still send everyone home happy with a walkoff blast. It was hard not to like him.

IIRC, he was also a Cub killer. :tongue:

DumpJerry
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
IIRC, he was also a Cub killer. :tongue:
So is Soriano.

tstrike2000
12-02-2010, 07:29 AM
That wasn't his official nickname... just one that my good friend, tstrike2000 bestowed upon him. :tongue:

Yes, defense was not his strong suit, but like Brian26 said, it was hard not to like him.

Nelfox02
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I wonder what attendance will be this year, I have already heard from several regulars that are not going.....

Always seems like Sox Fest is packed.....especially Saturday.....

parlaycard
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I wonder what attendance will be this year, I have already heard from several regulars that are not going.....

Always seems like Sox Fest is packed.....especially Saturday.....

Im sure some of the "regulars" will want to skip Soxfest this year.

With Adam Dunn being signed, AJ being resigned, and Paulie possibly coming back, Soxfest should be pretty boring.

Sockinchisox
12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Dunn, Konerko and AJ will all be at SoxFest.

salty99
12-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice additions, hopefully they keep them coming still plenty of names out there.

Nelfox02
12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Nice additions, hopefully the keep them coming still plenty of names out there.

current players I am thinking good shots at seeing Danks and Quentin (if arb gets resolved in time) along with Floyd and Thornton are the most likely.....all others I am considering long shots at this point.

hopefully a few other former players are added as well

great to see Dunn on the list, really looking forward to this event

salty99
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
current players I am thinking good shots at seeing Danks and Quentin (if arb gets resolved in time) along with Floyd and Thornton are the most likely.....all others I am considering long shots at this point.

hopefully a few other former players are added as well

great to see Dunn on the list, really looking forward to this event

Yeah it would be nice if Rios or Vizquel come, but it looks unlikely. I wonder if they even invite guys like Harrell, Flowers, Infante, DeAza, etc.

shenk16
12-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I agree about Vizquel and Rios. Vizquel was actually really friendly at spring training last year and signed a lot and I was able to get Rios a couple of times as well.

Nelfox02
12-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree about Vizquel and Rios. Vizquel was actually really friendly at spring training last year and signed a lot and I was able to get Rios a couple of times as well.

Both guys were very friendly when I met them at Picnic in the park last season. I had heard quite a few negative things about Rios in terms of fan interactation before he got here, but he was cordial at Picnic and very friendly with my son when we met him at one of the kids days.

All of that said, I would list both of them as doubtful for Sox Fest

Nelfox02
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I wonder if they even invite guys like Harrell, Flowers, Infante, DeAza, etc.

I would guess they do? I mean, in the past you have seen young guys like Owens, Wasserman, Adam Russell, Nix etc. there. These were guys that in some cases had a marginal shot to make the club out of Zona.....

ewokpelts
12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Sox should invite as many former players as they can. There are quite a few that live in the area but never get on the auto lists.

I remember being told that John Cangelosi had to buy a ticket to go to soxfest one year, and only signed becuase Bo Jackson saw him and had him join him on stage.

salty99
12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Sox should invite as many former players as they can. There are quite a few that live in the area but never get on the auto lists.

I remember being told that John Cangelosi had to buy a ticket to go to soxfest one year, and only signed becuase Bo Jackson saw him and had him join him on stage.

I've been wondering the same thing for years and Bo and John are business partners.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I can't even begin to imagine how hectic it's going to be this year. I think I'll skip this year because I really don't feel like fighting with people to meet Dunn. I got 4 years to meet him.

ewokpelts
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I've been wondering the same thing for years and Bo and John are business partners.cubs convention has always had a TON of former players show up. even mark grace showed up a few years ago, and he works for arizona!

hawks convetion has a lot of signers as well. there's no reason not to have a soxfest loaded with former players. i bet it wont be hard to get guys to committ when you throw a free hotel room and a decent appearance fee.

Brian26
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
cubs convention has always had a TON of former players show up. even mark grace showed up a few years ago, and he works for arizona!

The publish the list in the Tribune every year before the event, and I'm always amazed at how many players they have lined up. However, keep in mind the Cubs Convention is run entirely differently than Soxfest. I prefer the current model the Sox use.

ewokpelts
12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
The publish the list in the Tribune every year before the event, and I'm always amazed at how many players they have lined up. However, keep in mind the Cubs Convention is run entirely differently than Soxfest. I prefer the current model the Sox use.How is it run differently?

salty99
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
How is it run differently?

The only thing I know is that they have a scratch off ticket system for autographs for most of the big names.

CLUBHOUSE KID
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
The only thing I know is that they have a scratch off ticket system for autographs for most of the big names.

Blackhawks have that and people dislike it.

Nelfox02
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Blackhawks have that and people dislike it.

dont blame them. I mean, there are some annoying flaws in the set up of Sox Fest, but at the end of the day you can meet any player you really want to meet.....might have to spend a lot of time waiting, but you can meet that player

I hope Sox Fest never adopts any of that scratch card/raffle bull****

Brian26
12-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Salty is correct.

At Soxfest, you can hypothetically get any player you want if you get in line at the appropriate time. You probably won't get EVERY player, but you should be able to get ANY player as long as you plan accordingly.

At the Cubs Convention, the autographs work on a lottery system, so you're not guaranteed to get anybody you want.

shenk16
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Has anybody heard when the schedule of events is going to be released? I know it is typically a few weeks before Soxfest so I figure it should be soon.

salty99
01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Has anybody heard when the schedule of events is going to be released? I know it is typically a few weeks before Soxfest so I figure it should be soon.

More like 1-2 days before the event. I'm surprised single day tickets haven't been put on sale yet.

gobears1987
01-03-2011, 11:55 AM

I attended one such game where he had a walk-off in extras. Everyone left the ballpark chanting "Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose!" down the ramps.

Nelfox02
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
More like 1-2 days before the event. I'm surprised single day tickets haven't been put on sale yet.

Agree---expect it to be out Wed 1-19 at the earliest

hoping there will still be some additions.....Danks and Quentin should be late adds if the arbitration situation is squared away in time. I am hoping Crain, Floyd, and Thornton sign on. Another former player or two would be nice.......

shenk16
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping to hear that Rafael Soriano will be there!

salty99
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Jesse Crain has been added and it looks like they extended the Big Hurt package to those who purchase a hotel package by Jan. 10th. Obviously it didn't sell out yet.

shenk16
01-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Not sure if anyone has been discussing this on here yet, but I realized yesterday that the Ozzie Guillen Roast is on the opening day of Soxfest (21st). I wonder how many players/coaches will not be there on the first night because of this?

ewokpelts
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Jesse Crain has been added and it looks like they extended the Big Hurt package to those who purchase a hotel package by Jan. 10th. Obviously it didn't sell out yet.You can BUY the big hurt package if you have a hotel reservation/soxfest pass purchase by 1/10.

salty99
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
You can BUY the big hurt package if you have a hotel reservation/soxfest pass purchase by 1/10.

Yes originally you had to purchase your hotel in early December to qualify for this, but they moved the deadline.

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Jesse Crain has been added and it looks like they extended the Big Hurt package to those who purchase a hotel package by Jan. 10th. Obviously it didn't sell out yet.

anyone know where to find an updated list of players scheduled to attend? the Sox website still doesn't have Konerko, Dunn, Crain and AJ listed on the Soxfest page, even though the Sox have already said they will be there.

salty99
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
anyone know where to find an updated list of players scheduled to attend? the Sox website still doesn't have Konerko, Dunn, Crain and AJ listed on the Soxfest page.

Yeah I wonder if anybody even looks at the website in the offseason more than once a month.

salty99
01-06-2011, 04:48 PM
From an e-mail I got from the Sox:

"Along with Beckham, Buehrle, Crain, Dunn, Konerko and Pierzynski, the following current and former team members are scheduled to attend: Ozzie Guillen, Harold Baines, Don Cooper, Jeff Cox, Ramon Castro, Roberto Hernandez, Edwin Jackson, Ron Kittle, Brent Lillibridge, Minnie Minoso, Brent Morel, Juan Nieves, Juan Pierre, Alexei Ramirez, Mark Salas, Chris Sale, Sergio Santos, Moose Skowron, Mark Teahen, Frank Thomas, Matt Thornton, Jose Valentin and Greg Walker. Broadcasters Ed Farmer, Hawk Harrelson, Darrin Jackson and Steve Stone."

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
i typically check it everyday. i guess it's just a habit now. Salty, where did you see that Crain was added?

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
From an e-mail I got from the Sox:

"Along with Beckham, Buehrle, Crain, Dunn, Konerko and Pierzynski, the following current and former team members are scheduled to attend: Ozzie Guillen, Harold Baines, Don Cooper, Jeff Cox, Ramon Castro, Roberto Hernandez, Edwin Jackson, Ron Kittle, Brent Lillibridge, Minnie Minoso, Brent Morel, Juan Nieves, Juan Pierre, Alexei Ramirez, Mark Salas, Chris Sale, Sergio Santos, Moose Skowron, Mark Teahen, Frank Thomas, Matt Thornton, Jose Valentin and Greg Walker. Broadcasters Ed Farmer, Hawk Harrelson, Darrin Jackson and Steve Stone."

Oh ok nevermind that answers it. thanks for the help, Salty. you gonna ba attending?

salty99
01-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh ok nevermind that answers it. thanks for the help, Salty. you gonna ba attending?

Yes I just booked my room package yesterday. Crain is also doing an autograph signing in Plainfield in April for $10 an item.

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice, i might have to make it out to that.

Nelfox02
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
anyone else dissapointed with the former player line up?

yeah, Frank is going to be there, but he is part of that whacked out "Big Hurt Experience" deal, not shelling out that $$ so meeting him is not even an option for me

other than that you have the usual suspects and then Valentin and Roberto Hernandez? weak

I was hoping to see more guys added.....but at this point that appears less likely with each passing day

yazz32
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM
So out of curiosity, who bought the Big Hurt Package?

Also, I'm thinking the Buehrle line is gonna be nuts again this year.

3 weeks and counting. Can't wait!

salty99
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Yes I am already in line!!!

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
anyone else dissapointed with the former player line up?

yeah, Frank is going to be there, but he is part of that whacked out "Big Hurt Experience" deal, not shelling out that $$ so meeting him is not even an option for me

other than that you have the usual suspects and then Valentin and Roberto Hernandez? weak

I was hoping to see more guys added.....but at this point that appears less likely with each passing day

yeah, it would be nice to see more of the former players there, especially guys from the 90's like Wilson Alvarez. i do have to admit, though, that i'm excited that Valentin and Hernandez will be there, as well as the usual suspects.

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

i hope Buerhle signs more than once so it isn't total craziness trying to get in his line

Nelfox02
01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
yeah, it would be nice to see more of the former players there, especially guys from the 90's like Wilson Alvarez. i do have to admit, though, that i'm excited that Valentin and Hernandez will be there, as well as the usual suspects.

oh yeah, I too am looking forward to seeing Valentine and Hernandez (Valentin more so) but I was hoping to have more former guys there. Other than the "it would cost the sox money" excuse, I dont get why we cant have more former players

I make this point every year, but Cubs convention blows Sox Fest away in terms of alumni that show up

all in all, Sox Fest is still one of the best set up and run fan conventions in MLB very excited for it, as always

Nelfox02
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM

I did not

but something tells me Frank wont be sitting in an empty room on Sat, 1-22..........

ChiSoxGirl
01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
i hope Buerhle signs more than once so it isn't total craziness trying to get in his line

Big-name guys typically have at least two autograph sessions throughout the weekend - usually Friday and Saturday. Occasionally, you'll get a big-name guy to sign all three days; I remember Paulie doing this at least one year, and the same is true for Buehrle.

Noneck
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
No former Sox that played before 1980 that are not on the Sox payroll, kind of sad situation.

Jason82807
01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I overheard something on TV about a contract dispute with the Palmer House and the housekeepers' union. Hopefully this won't be a big problem.

Brian26
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Big-name guys typically have at least two autograph sessions throughout the weekend - usually Friday and Saturday. Occasionally, you'll get a big-name guy to sign all three days; I remember Paulie doing this at least one year, and the same is true for Buehrle.

Paulie's always been an exceptional signer. My favorite memory of him is coming down on a Sunday morning in 2004 or 2005 and starting his session 30 minutes early.

Buehrle, I think, only signed one day last year. Thome was notorious for that also.

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
oh yeah, I too am looking forward to seeing Valentine and Hernandez (Valentin more so) but I was hoping to have more former guys there. Other than the "it would cost the sox money" excuse, I dont get why we cant have more former players

I make this point every year, but Cubs convention blows Sox Fest away in terms of alumni that show up

all in all, Sox Fest is still one of the best set up and run fan conventions in MLB very excited for it, as always

yeah i guess all we can do is continue mentioning the lack of alumni when we fill out that survey after Soxfest. maybe eventually we'll see more alumni show, but its hard to complain. it is set up and run quite nicely and the line-up this year looks like another good one. i'm pretty excited as well, it's like Christmas in january.

Hot Like Sauce
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM

yeah that's true. i only bring it up because he only signed one time last year and it was early saturday morning. i hope he at least signs on friday when it will be less crowded

ewokpelts
01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Paulie's always been an exceptional signer. My favorite memory of him is coming down on a Sunday morning in 2004 or 2005 and starting his session 30 minutes early.

Buehrle, I think, only signed one day last year. Thome was notorious for that also.I'm not a Konerko fan, but he has typically been readiliy available at sox events, like soxfest or kids day auto sessions.

Curiously, he's rarely on the paid autograph circuit. Not many items of his are available through the autograph house like steiner or mounted memories. And I dont think he's ever done a card show.

BainesHOF
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I believe Konerko takes his position as captain seriously at Soxfest. He's probably not crazy about it, but he seems to be a genuine good guy who's respectful toward fans. And he's got to appreciate the backing he's received from us during his last two contract negotiations.

Plus I think Konerko smartly learned from Big Hurt when he played for us. Frank was always great about pumping out 500-550 autographs at two or three sessions every Soxfest.

It's a shame that more players aren't like Konerko. They surely get paid enough for them to sign all three days.

I, too, agree that the former player lineup is dissapointing, and has been in most years. I can't believe it would cost too much to bring in a handful of old-timers every year. It seems like the bare minimum is being done in this regard. I'd love to see some players from the early-to-mid '70s teams, Southside Hitmen team, '83 team, fun '90 club, the '93 roster, and, really, just about anyone who was decent with us at one time or another. Personally, the No. 1 old-timer I'd LOVE to see is Richie Zisk.

Nelfox02
01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Plus I think Konerko smartly learned from Big Hurt when he played for us. Frank was always great about pumping out 500-550 autographs at two or three sessions every Soxfest.
Yep, those were the days----the big ball room at the Hyatt, Frank going 550 autos on a Satruday morning.....

speaking of the ghosts of SoxFest past and along the lines of the former player issue, is it just me or did it seem like the SoxFests prior to 2006 were a lot better in terms of former players? Just seemed like more players and higher profile names.

It would just add so much to this event if they could add 5-10 more former players that were at least decent contributors to the Sox Team they played for===better seminars, more autograph ops...

ah well.....unfortunately I dont think the Sox approach on this is going to be changing anytime soon.

ewokpelts
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
There are quite a few players that LIVE in the Chicago area.

Like Bo Jackson. Or Donn Paul.

How hard is it to get local former players to appear?

Hawks and Cubs convention have TONS of signers. Hell, the Hawks have a former player sign at every home GAME.

ewokpelts
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Yep, those were the days----the big ball room at the Hyatt, Frank going 550 autos on a Satruday morning.....

speaking of the ghosts of SoxFest past and along the lines of the former player issue, is it just me or did it seem like the SoxFests prior to 2006 were a lot better in terms of former players? Just seemed like more players and higher profile names.

It would just add so much to this event if they could add 5-10 more former players that were at least decent contributors to the Sox Team they played for===better seminars, more autograph ops...

ah well.....unfortunately I dont think the Sox approach on this is going to be changing anytime soon.

I wish the sox would listen to the fans when we say these things.

Brewers on Deck is a one day event, but it's in a CONVENTION Center, with plenty of room for attractions, autographs and seminars.

Cardinal's Winter Warm-Up you need to pay for autographs, but ALL the money goes to charity. So $175 for a Pujols auto dosent seem so bad.

The Twins are scheduled to have thier fan fest at the metrodome(doubtful, as the roof is literally shot), but that's a large space where they can have 20k people per day at the event.

The pirates have thier fanfest in the same convention center where they had the 2006 all star fanfest, and they get good crowds too.

hell, the tigers have thier winter event AT COMERICA PARK. indoors AND outdoors. sells out every year.

soxfest can be better. but i doubt it will be.

Domeshot17
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't know, for all the complaining I enjoy Sox Fest. It has its flaws, but anything will. The wristband system isn't perfect, but it works more than not. The only time I remember being genuinely pissed off was a few years ago when Thome no showed, and they botched that big time. Should have given anyone in line early who wanted it a thome wristband, and then you show up to the room with your form to get it in the mail versus letting everyone enter into a random drawing. Other than that, its always a fun weekend.

We Treat'em
01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I would love to see Dick Allen, Gregory Michael "The Bull" Luzinski or Jack McDowell @ Soxfest. How about for another local talent Danny Pasqua. It would be great to see some Sox alumni.

salty99
01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Single passes are finally going on sale Thursday. $50 for Sat, $35 for Sunday and $70 for Sat/Sun.

salty99
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Ron Karkovice added.

Nelfox02
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Ron Karkovice added.

Interesting, did not see that coming.....

Nelfox02
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I would love to see Dick Allen, Gregory Michael "The Bull" Luzinski or Jack McDowell @ Soxfest. How about for another local talent Danny Pasqua. It would be great to see some Sox alumni.

McDowell was there a few years back (maybe 2003.....) but I dont think Allen or Luzinski have ever attended

konerko 14
01-11-2011, 06:39 AM
On the radio they said Peavy will meet with coop at Soxfest, So I guess he's been added.

Hot Like Sauce
01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
On the radio they said Peavy will meet with coop at Soxfest, So I guess he's been added.

I was hoping he would show up. Can anyone find anything else confirming that Peavy is gonna be there?

yazz32
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Nothing yet. Schedule should be out next week.

yazz32
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Here's more info on what they have planned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110111&content_id=16419978&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

Hot Like Sauce
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, who bought the "MVP" package, or the "Big Hurt Experience" as it is now called, in years past. Wondering how much less you had to wait in line for "premium autographs" and how the other perks were. Did you feel it was worth it?

Jason82807
01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, who bought the "MVP" package, or the "Big Hurt Experience" as it is now called, in years past. Wondering how much less you had to wait in line for "premium autographs" and how the other perks were. Did you feel it was worth it?

I haven't done it before but I'd say it's not worth it. The big benefit to this is that Frank Thomas will sign an autograph for you, but he can't sign just anything. Frank is contractually prohibited from signing anything except an 8x10 photo which his goombas will provide.

Brian26
01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I haven't done it before but I'd say it's not worth it. The big benefit to this is that Frank Thomas will sign an autograph for you, but he can't sign just anything. Frank is contractually prohibited from signing anything except an 8x10 photo which his goombas will provide.

Frank signed at Triple Threat Sports last summer for around a quarter of the Soxfest price, and he would sign anything.

I'm not going to rip the Sox because part of the money goes to Charity, but this one just doesn't make a lot of sense.

yazz32
01-13-2011, 09:44 PM
This will be my first time getting the MVP pass, not sure how it will go. Just said to myself I would try it out one year. But like other people said if you plan right, you should get autographs from the players you want.

Jason82807
01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Frank signed at Triple Threat Sports last summer for around a quarter of the Soxfest price, and he would sign anything.

I'm not going to rip the Sox because part of the money goes to Charity, but this one just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I saw him last year at the August 14 game in the Jim Beam Club. My friend was able to get him to sign his beer vendor bobblelehead while his handlers were away. I tried to get him to sign my jersey but his handlers came back and said Frank couldn't sign it. Frank picked up a photo from the stack and signed it. Maybe the Triple Threat Sports thing was before he signed his ambassador contract.

ewokpelts
01-14-2011, 07:07 AM
I think frank is signed to a Steiner type deal.

beasly213
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I haven't been to Sox fest in years... last time I went it was 15 bucks bought my tix at the front desk. Although once the schedule comes out I may check out one of the days. I really want Paulie to sign my 8x10 of him after his Slam in the 05 series.

Soxman24
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Does the organization always take this long to announce the schedule for Soxfest?

salty99
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Does the organization always take this long to announce the schedule for Soxfest?

Yes..as stated previously in this thread the schedule won't come out until the middle of next week.

salty99
01-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Updates: Will Ohman is attending along with Buddy Bell

New Trophy room featuring WS trophy, gold glove awards, etc

Logistics changes: Both photo booths on same level, Empire Room.
Autograph stages A and B on Salons level

Tweak to autograph line: Must be in line 20 minutes after the session beings, last year it was 30 minutes before the session ended. This will make it harder to get to multiple sessions scheduled at the same time depending on how strict they enforce this policy.

ChiSoxGirl
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Updates: Will Ohman is attending along with Buddy Bell

New Trophy room featuring WS trophy, gold glove awards, etc

Logistics changes: Both photo booths on same level, Empire Room.
Autograph stages A and B on Salons level

Tweak to autograph line: Must be in line 20 minutes after the session beings, last year it was 30 minutes before the session ended. This will make it harder to get to multiple sessions scheduled at the same time depending on how strict they enforce this policy.

Great. As if it's not difficult enough to obtain as many autographs as possible, they have to go and make their policy even more strict. :mad:

BainesHOF
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Tweak to autograph line: Must be in line 20 minutes after the session begins, last year it was 30 minutes before the session ended. This will make it harder to get to multiple sessions scheduled at the same time depending on how strict they enforce this policy.

Don't like this and don't understand it. This just forces you to wait in line longer rather than enjoy other parts of the fest.

Nelfox02
01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Tweak to autograph line: Must be in line 20 minutes after the session begins, last year it was 30 minutes before the session ended. This will make it harder to get to multiple sessions scheduled at the same time depending on how strict they enforce this policy.

Salty, not quite the tweak you were thinking, I checked the email I got from them last year about this time regarding S-Fest 2010, it read:

"- Guests with a wristband for any particular session must be in line no later than 30 minutes after the start time of the autograph session to be guaranteed an autograph."

So, the way I see it they are basically taking 10 minutes off from last year? I am guessing they will run the lines pretty much the same way they did last year....if you got a session in progress and there were still bands avaialble for it, you got it.

I guess we will see next weekend......

salty99
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
The schedule is out: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_schedule.jsp

Buehrle is only there on Friday.

Brian26
01-17-2011, 01:58 PM
The schedule is out: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_schedule.jsp

Two questions-

Is Alex Fernandez really there Sunday, or is that a typo and meant to be Roberto Hernandez? I'm looking at the 11am-11:45 seminar.

Also, I know its a typo, but it's funny to see Valentin signing at 3am on Saturday with Edwin @ 1:30am.

salty99
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Two questions-

Is Alex Fernandez really there Sunday, or is that a typo and meant to be Roberto Hernandez? I'm looking at the 11am-11:45 seminar.

Also, I know its a typo, but it's funny to see Valentin signing at 3am on Saturday with Edwin @ 1:30am.

That's funny..I really only looked at Friday closely.

Nelfox02
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
nice to see Dunn there all three days

also----I wonder if this is also a typo but notice that TCM is scheduled to sign 2 different sessions on Saturday? I dont recall any player having 2 official signing sessions on the same day at any previous sox fest....

Soxman24
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
That's a pretty nice schedule for Sunday. With the NFC Championship taking place Sunday in Chicago, how do you think Sundays Soxfest attendance will be?

parlaycard
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
That's a pretty nice schedule for Sunday. With the NFC Championship taking place Sunday in Chicago, how do you think Sundays Soxfest attendance will be?

Completely dead.

Nelfox02
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

after the 9 am signings are done, I am anticipating an exodus

Soxman24
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
after the 9 am signings are done, I am anticipating an exodus

That's kind of what I was expecting to happen. I will be out of there before noon.

Brian26
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Lillibridge cancelled. :whiner:

soltrain21
01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Lillibridge cancelled. :whiner:

The man has better things to do. The Harry Potter LEGO sets don't build themselves, playa.

Brian26
01-17-2011, 10:17 PM
the man has better things to do. The harry potter lego sets don't build themselves, playa.

lol

salty99
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
lol

I think he was too embarrassed to show since he's a Seahawks fan. Actually he is having dental surgery Wed....

Nelfox02
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
sorta odd, Teahen is scheduled for photos on Friday......but I dont see him on any of the autograph sessions anyday........

also, Buddy Bell listed for a 9 am seminar on Sunday.....but I dont see him scheduled to sign at any session, any day either....not even the little comcast booth on the 4th floor.....

salty99
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM
sorta odd, Teahen is scheduled for photos on Friday......but I dont see him on any of the autograph sessions anyday........

also, Buddy Bell listed for a 9 am seminar on Sunday.....but I dont see him scheduled to sign at any session, any day either....not even the little comcast booth on the 4th floor.....

Yeah that is strange about Teahen who knows what the deal is there.

soltrain21
01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I think he was too embarrassed to show since he's a Seahawks fan. Actually he is having dental surgery Wed....

I'm getting a root canal Wednesday! It's like we are the same person. *swoon*

BainesHOF
01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I hope the Garage Sale goes better this year. Last year, those of us who waited in line for hours on Friday saw a well-known eBay dealer be granted early access to the Garage Sale in full view of us who were waiting for it to open. He cherry-picked many of the best items and walked out with his arms full of quality stuff minutes before the Garage Sale officially opened. Not cool.

Sockinchisox
01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah that is strange about Teahen who knows what the deal is there.

Teahen has a prior commitment in KC for his "Challenge Your Fashion" charity event, so he can only be there on Friday.

ewokpelts
01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I hope the Garage Sale goes better this year. Last year, those of us who waited in line for hours on Friday saw a well-known eBay dealer be granted early access to the Garage Sale in full view of us who were waiting for it to open. He cherry-picked many of the best items and walked out with his arms full of quality stuff minutes before the Garage Sale officially opened. Not cool.
let christine o'reilly know. apparently, she thinks soxfest is working 100% fine year to year.

coreilly@chisox.com

salty99
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I don't see either one listed on the official schedule.

eriqjaffe
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
sorta odd, Teahen is scheduled for photos on Friday......but I dont see him on any of the autograph sessions anyday........He keeps dropping the pen.

ChiSoxGirl
01-18-2011, 10:05 AM

I think I know who this dude is. I have my own nickname for him....

ChiSoxGirl
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM

This makes me even more thrilled that I got his autograph last year!

Hopefully, with Buehrls only being there on Friday and people clamoring for his autograph, the lines for guys like Dunn, Konerko, etc. won't reach capacity as quickly.

Completely dead.

That's what I'm hoping for! There's no possible way I could care less about the Bears game on Sunday, so I'll stick around SoxFest as long as I can to get as much done as possible. I'll watch the Bears, but I don't have to be home & parked in front of my TV for the kickoff; I'll catch the rest of the Bears when I get home.

Soxman24
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
This makes me even more thrilled that I got his autograph last year!

Hopefully, with Buehrls only being there on Friday and people clamoring for his autograph, the lines for guys like Dunn, Konerko, etc. won't reach capacity as quickly.

That's what I'm hoping for! There's no possible way I could care less about the Bears game on Sunday, so I'll stick around SoxFest as long as I can to get as much done as possible. I'll watch the Bears, but I don't have to be home & parked in front of my TV for the kickoff; I'll catch the rest of the Bears when I get home.

See, I keep going back and forth on this one. I know I said I had planned to leave around noon Sunday, but big Frank has a photo shoot at 1:30. So I ask myself do I stay or do I go.:scratch:

Nelfox02
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Teahen has a prior commitment in KC for his "Challenge Your Fashion" charity event, so he can only be there on Friday.

understandable---even so I am surprised they dont have him signing at all on Friday....not that demand would be all that great but they could combo him up with someone or something

ChiSoxGirl
01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
See, I keep going back and forth on this one. I know I said I had planned to leave around noon Sunday, but big Frank has a photo shoot at 1:30. So I ask myself do I stay or do I go.:scratch:

That alone should be enough to keep you at SoxFest. I just hope it isn't enough to keep too many others there, too!

salty99
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
That alone should be enough to keep you at SoxFest. I just hope it isn't enough to keep too many others there, too!

I bet people will be waiting for hours for this as it's limited to 125 I think. I think I would do this, but I already have a picture with him from 2003 photo day.

Hot Like Sauce
01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
any chance danks and quentin are added now that they're signed?

DirtySox
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
any chance danks and quentin are added now that they're signed?

I'd imagine it's quite likely. I think that's how it worked out last year anyhow.

Olivo4MVP
01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Danks was added...signing all three days too

yazz32
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Two questions-

Looks like they fixed the typo. There goes my plan for staying up late
for those signings! :tongue:

ewokpelts
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I was at the park today to pick up my soxfest passes. The Saturday Soxfest passes have Gordon Beckham and Freddy Garcia on them.
As of right now Freddy hasnt been signed by any team, including the Sox. So one has to wonder how his image was on it.

Also, There was some workers in the Gate 5 area. Couldnt tell what they were doing, but work is going on as we speak.

JermaineDye05
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe he's just making an appearance. I could see that happening considering he'll probably be at the Ozzie roast. I mean how often do you get the chance to roast your father-in-law?

Also, it could be that Freddy may be announcing his retirement.

salty99
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe he's just making an appearance. I could see that happening considering he'll probably be at the Ozzie roast. I mean how often do you get the chance to roast your father-in-law?

He's not his father-in-law. Garcia is married to Ozzie's second cousin, but Ozzie helped raise her.

Foulke You
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I'd be stunned if this was the case. Freddy stayed healthy all year and had a productive season. I think he'll pitch again in 2011.

DumpJerry
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
The Sox want to create a stir at WSI.......

They succeeded.

JermaineDye05
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
He's not his father-in-law. Garcia is married to Ozzie's second cousin, but Ozzie helped raise her.

:redface:

Okay, well how often do you get to roast your second cousin-in-law? :D:

DumpJerry
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
:redface:

Okay, well how often do you get to roast your second cousin-in-law? :D:
Every Sunday at dinnertime.

BainesHOF
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
It's bizarre for a bunch of reasons that Garcia would be on any Soxfest ticket this year, though there's no reason Garcia can't pitch for somebody this season.

Garcia's lergendary performance in the Palmer House lobby at Soxfest last year will never be topped.

awesomefan
01-20-2011, 02:00 AM
I used to post here along time ago & have posted on the White Sox MLB website a few times recently.

This year I'll be attending the SoxFest for the first time in several years. I went to SoxFest about 10 from 1994 to 2002.

I've never stopped being a die-hard White Sox fan. Just not into posting that much. I do read post alot more.

Lookin forward to meeting some WSI Sox fans at the lobby bar.

The White Sox MLB website said FREE parking in lot A at U.S. Cellular Field. Then take the CTA red line near there to the Monroe street stop that will put you very close to the Palmer House Hilton. I plan to try that & save alot of money on the parking deck fee at the hotel....even though I have reservations for Saturday night at the Palmer House Hilton.

I'm very excited bout seeing the players, talkin' to them & gettin' autographs & pictures.

Also bought tickets to the Sox vs Rox in Denver in June. Gonna take AMtrack to get there. Hope some of you guys can join me.:tongue:

awesomefan
01-20-2011, 02:05 AM
What was the ledgendary performance by Freddy Garcia in the Palmer House Hilton lobby last year????

white sox bill
01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
What was the ledgendary performance by Freddy Garcia in the Palmer House Hilton lobby last year????

After getting a buzz going, Freddy appeared on TV telling the world to have sex with the Cubs. It probably is still archived somewhere.....it was funny but Freddy didn't appear to sound real bright by saying it the way he did.

DumpJerry
01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
I have it on good authority that he is on the passes because it will be announced he is replacing Coop.

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I have it on good authority that he is on the passes because it will be announced he is replacing Coop.

So,now is it "Freddy'll fix it" instead of "Coop'll fix it"?? :D:

JermaineDye05
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM
So,now is it "Freddy'll fix it" instead of "Coop'll fix it"?? :D:

:garcia:
"Gavin, I think you need to loosen up a bit."

:Floyd:
"How do you suppose I do that?"

:bong:

Tragg
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I hope he comes back. He pitches his ass off for the Sox.

hi im skot
01-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Well played, sir.

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2011, 09:03 AM

This could give new meaning to the term "career high". :lol::lol:

konerko 14
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
After getting a buzz going, Freddy appeared on TV telling the world to have sex with the Cubs. It probably is still archived somewhere.....it was funny but Freddy didn't appear to sound real bright by saying it the way he did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptB8IZrb2k

BainesHOF
01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Freddy's legendary performance lasted about an hour between holding court at the bar and taking his act to the lobby floor.

salty99
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Did anyone else notice the price on their hotel reservation is wrong?

yazz32
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I thought it was $266 with taxes ?

salty99
01-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought it was $266 with taxes ?

$266 plus taxes but they add that $25 per person charge for guest 3 and 4.

BubblingCalderon
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
They did that last year

yazz32
01-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like the Buerhle line is packed already

DirtySox
01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Some sort of announcement is set for 5.

soltrain21
01-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Some sort of announcement is set for 5.

Garcia?

DirtySox
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Garcia?

Supposedly non roster related. Padilla suggested a contract extension?

DirtySox
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales) Mark Gonzales
Guillen reads potential lineup with Beckham second, Dunn third, PK fourth
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales/status/28594974262038528)

DirtySox
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1207114199/BrettBattalion_-_Crop_normal.jpg
CSNChi_Beatnik (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik) Brett Ballantini
Fan says, "Manny Ramirez" KW interrupts and blurts SORRY to laughs and applause.
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik/status/28595520989560832)

Win.

Chisox2008
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been thinking about making a trip to Soxfest this Sunday to get my Paul Konerko game used bat signed, but I need some advice/tips from the pros. Since Konerko is signing at 9am, what time would you recommend getting there to make sure to get the autograph? Do I need to get there way early and wait, or can I get there just at 9? Also, how exactly do the autograph wristbands work? Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Viva Medias B's
01-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Wish I could be there. Years ago at previous SoxFests at the Hyatt, I'd probably by fully lubricated in the atrium bar by this time.

mzh
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been thinking about making a trip to Soxfest this Sunday to get my Paul Konerko game used bat signed, but I need some advice/tips from the pros. Since Konerko is signing at 9am, what time would you recommend getting there to make sure to get the autograph? Do I need to get there way early and wait, or can I get there just at 9? Also, how exactly do the autograph wristbands work? Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
:welcome:

For a guy like Konerko, and on a Sunday, I would recommend getting there a good 45 minutes to an hour beforehand. His lines are usually pretty long and fill up fast.

Basically the way it works is when you enter a line an employee will snap a wristband on you. As long as you have the wristband you can leave and come back anytime within reason and be able to get in line. They will not let you wear multiple wristbands at once, however. At the end of the line another employee will snip it off.

Hope this helps!

Chisox2008
01-22-2011, 10:50 AM
:welcome:

For a guy like Konerko, and on a Sunday, I would recommend getting there a good 45 minutes to an hour beforehand. His lines are usually pretty long and fill up fast.

Basically the way it works is when you enter a line an employee will snap a wristband on you. As long as you have the wristband you can leave and come back anytime within reason and be able to get in line. They will not let you wear multiple wristbands at once, however. At the end of the line another employee will snip it off.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the help! One more question, is there an area where either dealers or the White Sox sell game used memorabilia? If so, how are the prices usually?

Thanks again,
Chris

mzh
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much for the help! One more question, is there an area where either dealers or the White Sox sell game used memorabilia? If so, how are the prices usually?

Thanks again,
Chris
Usually in the autograph lines you can get balls or pictures to sign. For actual game used stuff there's a garage sale somewhere around that has all the dealers. There is a section where the Sox sell game used stuff for a decent price, but if you want something good (game used bat or jersey), be ready to pony up >$100.

Brian26
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
The stupidity in this Brooks Boyer seminar is off the charts. Some lady just spent ten minutes complaining that she couldn't figure out where to park when she showed up at 8pm for a game and it was dark, so she drove downtown to park at Macy's and then take the Redline in. Wow

Brian26
01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Ewok fillibustering at the mic now about the crappy Sox Pride Club

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM

:tongue: Not at all surprised.

yazz32
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Curious if Brooks team too responsibility for the pride club or deferred it as MLB running it

Brian26
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok ok not 100% sure that was Ewok now

Brian26
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Sitting one table over from Reinsdorf right now at lunch.

WhSox30
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I haven't been to Soxfest in a couple of years, and will be going tomorrow. I just have a couple of question's. Paul Konerko is signing at 9 at around what time should you be line to be able to get an autograph? Also, how does getting pictures work with the players? I know you get a wristband, but I'm going with 2 other friends. Do we all need to have a wristband to get a picture or only 1 needs a wristband and we can all be in the picture? Does the lines for pictures also fill up fast? Thanks.

parlaycard
01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't been to Soxfest in a couple of years, and will be going tomorrow. I just have a couple of question's. Paul Konerko is signing at 9 at around what time should you be line to be able to get an autograph? Also, how does getting pictures work with the players? I know you get a wristband, but I'm going with 2 other friends. Do we all need to have a wristband to get a picture or only 1 needs a wristband and we can all be in the picture? Does the lines for pictures also fill up fast? Thanks.

You would all need wristbands. Otherwise they will not be able to get in the room with you.

At the autograph signings the players will typically let someone take a photo if you lean across the table and have someone take your picture. Trying to do that with 3 people and a player could present a challenge.

The wristbands will all be gone by 8am or earlier for the 9am signings. Plan accordingly.

Viva Medias B's
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
At Brooks' seminar, did anyone ask him about the organist issue?

chisoxfanatic
01-23-2011, 12:05 AM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales) Mark Gonzales
Guillen reads potential lineup with Beckham second, Dunn third, PK fourth
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales/status/28594974262038528)
What was Ozzie's full potential lineup?

ChiSoxGirl
01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
What was Ozzie's full potential lineup?

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Pierzynski, Quentin, Ramirez, and "third base." I can't remember in what order he had the 3-4-5 hitters, but I do remember the top & bottom of the lineup he rattled off at the Kenny & Ozzie seminar on Friday night.

Brian26
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Pierzynski, Quentin, Ramirez, and "third base." I can't remember in what order he had the 3-4-5 hitters, but I do remember the top & bottom of the lineup he rattled off at the Kenny & Ozzie seminar on Friday night.

Dunn 3rd, PK 4th, Rios 5th

In line for Edwin now, CSG.

yazz32
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems like a ghost town here now. Even at the bar (not that I am the bar lol )

chisoxfanatic
01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
So, he's not set in stone as to who will play the hot corner just yet? Did he say he's going to wait until spring training to decide that?

DirtySox
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
So, he's not set in stone as to who will play the hot corner just yet? Did he say he's going to wait until spring training to decide that?

By all indications it will be Morel unless his arms fall off. They aren't going to slight Teahen by just declaring it's Brent's job. Don't want the youngins to get complacent either.

parlaycard
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Teahen makes too much money for them to give him no shot.

Domeshot17
01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Had an awesome time at Sox Fest. Took it easy this year, no sleeping in line at 1 am, just a full friday and relaxed saturday or sunday. Highlight for me was probably Danks putting me on the spot while he signed with Edwin and asked me who would win in a fight, him or Jackson. Edwin Jackson could be the nicest guy ever. Had no problem putting no hitter on my wife's ball.

Chrisaway
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I think Danks is one of my favorite players now. Super fun guy.

soxlady8
01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I love Johnny Danks- GREAT player and seems to be a great person.

He was a trooper when I was hunting for autographs near the parking lot of US Cell in the summer. All these guys were going past except for him.
He was smiling , giggling , laughing - fun guy !

I am glad my fellow WSI'ers had a good time at Soxfest.

I am sooo looking forward to the start of the season !!

Hitmen77
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM

It's probably Morel's job to lose in Spring Training. But, since he's only seen the majors during his Sept. call up, I can see why KW isn't saying the job is his right now.

The problem is, if Morel looks terrible this spring, the Sox don't have many other good options. I like what Vizquel did for us last year, but he's not an every day player anymore. Teahen and Viciedo will probably be competing for the 3B job too, but they're both defensive disasters.

I'm guessing we'll end up with Morel and Vizquel splitting time at 3rd.

DirtySox
01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Teahen and Viciedo will probably be competing for the 3B job too, but they're both defensive disasters.

I'm guessing we'll end up with Morel and Vizquel splitting time at 3rd.

I think Viciedo competing for 3B is pretty much lip service. They've said he's moving to a corner OF spot.

ChiSoxGirl
01-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Seems like a ghost town here now. Even at the bar (not that I am the bar lol )

The place really cleared out around 11 or 11:30a. I stuck around 'til about 2:15p, after getting my picture taken with Frank Thomas, and the Sox fans who were left were consistently streaming out around then.

Nelfox02
01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
overall I had a great Fest also

productive in on the autograph front, met up with some people I see there year after year, fun nights out in Chicago, some cool in person ecounters with a few of the players

also, not too many stupid, annoying, unexplainable S-Fest organizing bull crap stuff this year.....only thing I did not get was the odd change in how they handle the early morning lining up. with the eception of year one at the palmer, us early risers/early Friday arrivers have always been able to stage in the Empire room....with never any incident. this year they would not let us in unitil the afternoon on Friday and 5 ish on Sat/Sun....created an bum rush which allowed a lot of people to take advantage of the situation and cut ahead of others who had been there for hours......

of the 30 plus autographs I got the one I thought came out the best was a Juan Pierre SS ball with inscription "broke out cub no-hitter 6-13-10"....Juan was laughing when I asked for the inscription, and was pretty cool talking about the hit.....said he didnt think anyone would remember that, I told hiim that a lot of would not forget it anytime soon

salty99
01-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I was at the park today to pick up my soxfest passes. The Saturday Soxfest passes have Gordon Beckham and Freddy Garcia on them.
As of right now Freddy hasnt been signed by any team, including the Sox. So one has to wonder how his image was on it.

Also, There was some workers in the Gate 5 area. Couldnt tell what they were doing, but work is going on as we speak.

I saw the Saturday pass, it was not Garcia, it was Sergio Santos.

tebman
01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I was able to go to SoxFest this year thanks to my kids conspiring to get me a full weekend as a Christmas gift. I always thought it sounded like a great time, and having been there I know I was right. Son-of-tebman also got tickets for Christmas -- he served as both my chaperone and tactical advisor as we navigated the events.

It's total-immersion therapy for a White Sox fan, suiting me just fine. Under the tutulage of SoxFest veteran ChiSoxGirl, we knew where to go and how to do it so as to get the maximum return on our investment of time. Autographs, seminars, and conversations with other hopelessly-smitten Sox fans were punctuated only by occasional breaks for food and sleep.

It was a hell of a lot of fun. Let's get on to Opening Day! :bandance:

salty99
01-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I had another great time at Soxfest. I wish I was able to hear a few more seminars but that's what happens when you're running around for autographs and player photos, eating, and just hanging out with friends and in the room.
The highlight for me was seeing Frank again and getting an autograph from him Sat. and a picture with him today.
The second highlight had to be just chilling with Matt Thornton for about 10-15 minutes and just talking baseball. He had some nice stories about Jim Thome giving him a home run bat, and he has a big memorabilia collection himself including about 30 bobbleheads, jerseys, ball, etc.

yazz32
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Overall I had a blast as usual. Sleep definitely in order tonight.

Only complaint, please no more U2's "The Sweetest Day" on continuous loop in the Empire Room!!!

Because of it I know that song by memory now and I woke up in cold sweat thinking that I was being stalked by Bono and The Edge with that song!! :tongue:

Mix up the song selection!!

ChiSoxGirl
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I was able to go to SoxFest this year thanks to my kids conspiring to get me a full weekend as a Christmas gift. I always thought it sounded like a great time, and having been there I know I was right. Son-of-tebman also got tickets for Christmas -- he served as both my chaperone and tactical advisor as we navigated the events.

It's total-immersion therapy for a White Sox fan, suiting me just fine. Under the tutulage of SoxFest veteran ChiSoxGirl, we knew where to go and how to do it so as to get the maximum return on our investment of time. Autographs, seminars, and conversations with other hopelessly-smitten Sox fans were punctuated only by occasional breaks for food and sleep.

It was a hell of a lot of fun. Let's get on to Opening Day! :bandance:

Once again, thanks for the props. It was awesome hanging out with you and son-of-tebman all weekend. Hopefully, you're sold on this event and I can count on seeing you at SoxFest 2012.

Speaking of that occasional sleep, I just woke up from an hour nap. :redface:

Overall I had a blast as usual. Sleep definitely in order tonight.

Only complaint, please no more U2's "The Sweetest Day" on continuous loop in the Empire Room!!!

Because of it I know that song by memory now and I woke up in cold sweat thinking that I was being stalked by Bono and The Edge with that song!! :tongue:

Mix up the song selection!!

Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!! :nuts: After the fourth consecutive time this morning (sometime around 7:30), I heard someone tell either a security guard who was inspecting bags or a Palmer House employee to PLEASE kill the music. Fortunately, they complied with that person's wish, which made all of us happy.

As I've been telling people today, I LOVE SoxFest, but am totally over it by Sunday. The sleep deprivation and lack of meals really seem to catch up with me by then and all I want to do is go home. It was so bad that, while I was in line for Beckham this morning, I fell sound asleep laying on the floor for a good 45 minutes.

mzh
01-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Once again, thanks for the props. It was awesome hanging out with you and son-of-tebman all weekend. Hopefully, you're sold on this event and I can count on seeing you at SoxFest 2012.

Speaking of that occasional sleep, I just woke up from an hour nap. :redface:

Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!! :nuts: After the fourth consecutive time this morning (sometime around 7:30), I heard someone tell either a security guard who was inspecting bags or a Palmer House employee to PLEASE kill the music. Fortunately, they complied with that person's wish, which made all of us happy.

As I've been telling people today, I LOVE SoxFest, but am totally over it by Sunday. The sleep deprivation and lack of meals really seem to catch up with me by then and all I want to do is go home. It was so bad that, while I was in line for Beckham this morning, I fell sound asleep laying on the floor for a good 45 minutes.
I didn't think the Beckham line was that bad. Got there 45 minutes early, just sat and read for a while. Overall the lines for guys like PK, Beckham, Dunn weren't as packed as I imagined they would. Mass exodus for the Bears is the likely culprit.

salty99
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-2011-soxfest-chicago-white-sox-photos,0,7688573.photogallery

Check this out you might see some familiar faces.

ChiSoxGirl
01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-2011-soxfest-chicago-white-sox-photos,0,7688573.photogallery

#30 might look familiar to some people.... That person seems to show up in the print or online media every year during SoxFest.

spawn
01-23-2011, 08:16 PM
#30 might look familiar to some people.... That person seems to show up in the print or online media every year during SoxFest.
Never seen that person before in my life. Must be a groupie.

As for picture #1, I know some people want Lovie Smith's balls on a platter...don't know how many would actually pay $100.00 for 'em.

DumpJerry
01-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Is that $100 sign on the Lovie Smith baseballs the amount the Sox will give you take them off their hands?

Adam Dunn looks like Larry the Cable Guy.

You look very intense.

chisoxfanatic
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
How do you get photographed every year? Do you get a front row seat?

I liked the photo right after yours...Great one of Paulie and Mark.

Nelfox02
01-23-2011, 08:50 PM

yes!

for me---it was "Working For the Weekend" in Stage A (Level 6) on Friday night....it never stopped. It was the song playing for the dance routine between Farley and Swaze in the immortal Chippendale sketch on SNL....so the song kept playing and I could not purge the image of Farley undulating shirtless from my mind.....awesome

Woofer
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm not a wine drinker, but I thought the Buehrle autographed wine bottles were a cool idea. Was going to buy one on my way back to the garage sale, but they were gone. Those game used hats smelled worse than they looked. I thought the Bobby Jenks one was pretty cool. It was totally trashed and covered with sweat stains and rosin. Somebody else must have thought so too, because it was gone later.

Brian26
01-23-2011, 09:44 PM
yes!

for me---it was "Working For the Weekend" in Stage A (Level 6) on Friday night....it never stopped. It was the song playing for the dance routine between Farley and Swaze in the immortal Chippendale sketch on SNL....so the song kept playing and I could not purge the image of Farley undulating shirtless from my mind.....awesome

For me, 6th Floor Stage D, whatever the Black Eyed Peas song is... "Tonight's gonna be a good night...."

:whiteflag:

Brian26
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Soxfest was a good time. I only tried for five autograph sessions, but it was quality over quantity: Konerko, Beckham, Alexei, Dunn and Edwin Jackson. Also had Karkovice sign a '93 card. Also won a Sox mini-stadium today, which, after opening it, is nicer than I originally thought it would be.

The seminars on Saturday and Sunday were generally good. Roberto Hernandez really impressed me, and there were a lot of good stories from Karkovice and Juan Nieves. The marketing seminar on Saturday was embarrassing from both sides of the stage. Seriously, does Christine O'Reily need to plug Whitesox.com to a bunch of people who paid to come to a Sox fan convention? Epic talking-down to your loyal fanbase.

Hardest part of the weekend was getting up before dawn to trek through the bone-chilling cold to make the first L train. Well-worth it, though.

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Never seen that person before in my life. Must be a groupie.

As for picture #1, I know some people want Lovie Smith's balls on a platter...don't know how many would actually pay $100.00 for 'em.

Uh huh. :tongue:

Is that $100 sign on the Lovie Smith baseballs the amount the Sox will give you take them off their hands?

Adam Dunn looks like Larry the Cable Guy.

You look very intense.

Someone called Adam Dunn out on his lumberjack-like beard during his seminar with Frank Thomas and Greg Walker on Saturday; "It's pure laziness," he said. The crowd erupted with laughter.

You call it intense, I call it trying to get the perfect picture. :tongue:

How do you get photographed every year? Do you get a front row seat?

I liked the photo right after yours...Great one of Paulie and Mark.

Yes, I almost always get a front row seat for the Opening Ceremony. This year, Phil Velazquez remembered me from last year, came up to me and told me so, then asked for my name and where I'm from. Either that, or the camera really likes me. :redneck

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2011, 07:36 AM
The queston still stands: Did anyone ask Brooks at his seminar about the organist issue?

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
The queston still stands: Did anyone ask Brooks at his seminar about the organist issue?

That issue did come up in as much that someone asked if the new organist would keep the same schedule Nancy had her last few seasons, or if he or she would play all the time. He said they've narrowed their decision and that "it" would operate on the same schedule Nancy kept during the last few seasons. He said this was because on the off chance people don't like "it," they don't have to worry about whithering down "it's" schedule. However, if "it" is well-received, they'll entertain the idea of "it" playing at more night games.

From what it sounded like, an organist has been chosen, but Brooks kept referring to him or her as "it...."

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 07:52 AM
That issue did come up in as much that someone asked if the new organist would keep the same schedule Nancy had her last few seasons, or if he or she would play all the time. He said they've narrowed their decision and that "it" would operate on the same schedule Nancy kept during the last few seasons. He said this was because on the off chance people don't like "it," they don't have to worry about whithering down "it's" schedule. However, if "it" is well-received, they'll entertain the idea of "it" playing at more night games.

From what it sounded like, an organist has been chosen, but Brooks kept referring to him or her as "it...."
Meet your 2011 White Sox Organist:

http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-covers-small/welcome_to_machine.jpg

SOXSINCE'70
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
By all indications it will be Morel unless his arms fall off. They aren't going to slight Teahen by just declaring it's Brent's job. Don't want the youngins to get complacent either.

Brent Morel has one HUGE advantage over Mark Teahen: he can dive when a ground ball is headed his way.

No teal intended.

Quentin08
01-24-2011, 08:02 AM
How were the crowds compared to previous years? Were they much larger, more excited, etc.? I tried to find out if this year's Soxfest was sold out, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if it sold out this year?

BainesHOF
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
It was another great Soxfest, probably the best ever for my group. We all picked up some great stuff at the Garage Sale and the autograph lines went great Friday and Sunday. The pizza and nachos spread at Saturday's Family Party was outstanding. Perhaps the highlight of the weekend was talking to Roland Hemond for 30 minutes in the lobby Saturday night and hearing him tell many great stories. (He told us about the day Dick Allen retired from the Sox, that he tried to trade for Tito Landrum in June of '83, and how he turned the tables on Harry Caray when Harry tried to bust Roland for drafting Baines over Molitor during a live interview -- Roland compared Baines to Harry's favorite, Stan Musial.)

The players were absolutely great. Matt Thornton was extremely personable and fun, and I heard Danks was the same way. Konerko was a pro when it came to signing things with a great autograph in the appropriate spot with the best pen. Alexei probably signed the most autographs and took time with each one to use the best pen and check with everyone as to where they wanted him to sign, and also instructed security to let everyone take pictures -- all done with a smile on his face. Edwin Jackson hung out in the room when Alexei was signing on Saturday and happily signed a lot of autographs himself. Chris Sale was accommodating whenever you ran into him. Brent Morel was humble, saying he just hopes to make the team with a good spring. The only sort of negative was A.J., who was about 15 minutes late to his Saturday session (which costs you time to get a later autograph). I also saw that he was late to his photo session, and he also seemed to pick and choose who he gave a good autograph to versus a sloppy one.

A cool little thing the Sox did was run giveaways for Twitter followers. Got a Peavy bobblehead Saturday and a Cell miniature Sunday.

There's a few areas where Soxfest can still be improved. Most of these should have been easily taken care of years ago. It's annoying that some of this b.s. continues to happen year after year.

- Got there Friday morning and got in line in the Empire Room. Then, for some ridiculous reason, we all get booted out of the Empire Room and told to wait in the lobby. The line naturally gets screwed up and breaks down as more people arrive in a crowded lobby. The Empire Room is eventually re-opened for a line to form and there's a mini-Who scene as people try to get to the front of the line. I wind up farther back then my original place in line, and people start Soxfest with having a bad experience. What the heck? There is no excuse for this baloney. Poor, poor, poor.

- Lots of line cutting continues to take place. I noticed Sunday morning was particularly bad. Lots of people wound up in Konerko's line that did not line up for Soxfest entry in the Empire Room. They obviously jumped the entrance line by elevators and stairs...This can be easily prevented by handing out numbered wristbands in the Empire Room. Then entry into the fest would be done in the order of arrival in line. A novel concept, huh? It's done at concerts at the time. Then the entry wristband would have to be shown to get an autograph band. That would stop the line jumpers cold. There's no excuse for this not to happen in the future.

- Kill all the music. I felt like a prisoner of war being tortured by hearing Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend" and U2's "Sweetest Thing" over and over and over again.

- To paraphrase a political rant, "The Garage Sale prices are too damn high!" On some bats and especially jerseys, prices were generally $100 higher than the stuff is worth in the sports memorabilia market. Some other stuff was grossly mispriced. Bats with chunks missing are not worth hundreds of dollars and promising players should not be priced as if they're five-time all-stars. I know proceeds are for charity, but it doesn't do anyone any good when the stuff isn't sold. At the very least, prices should be in line with how much the stuff is worth. I contend prices should be cheaper than that to sell more items and raise the most money for charity. And that would make many more fans happy. It would be a win-win for everyone.

- Capacity needs to be limited on a day such as Saturday. It just gets too crowded. It's not good P.R. to take people's money and then let them find out that one autograph line after another is filled.

Overall, Soxfest is a great event, but it's frustrating to run into many of the same problems year after year, problems that can be easily fixed with a little more effort by the Sox.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
In his mailbag today, Mark Gonzales wrote that Brooks told him a new organist has been hired and will be announced later.

Lip

tstrike2000
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Brent Morel has one HUGE advantage over Mark Teahen: he can dive when a ground ball is headed his way.

No teal intended.

Another huge advantage Morel has over Teahen, Morel doesn't suck at third base.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Ewok fillibustering at the mic now about the crappy Sox Pride ClubI was NOT fillerbusting.

I gave them kudos for two programs, and then ripped them on two others. One was the Pride Club.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
It was another great Soxfest, probably the best ever for my group. We all picked up some great stuff at the Garage Sale and the autograph lines went great Friday and Sunday. The pizza and nachos spread at Saturday's Family Party was outstanding. Perhaps the highlight of the weekend was talking to Roland Hemond for 30 minutes in the lobby Saturday night and hearing him tell many great stories. (He told us about the day Dick Allen retired from the Sox, that he tried to trade for Tito Landrum in June of '83, and how he turned the tables on Harry Caray when Harry tried to bust Roland for drafting Baines over Molitor during a live interview -- Roland compared Baines to Harry's favorite, Stan Musial.)

The players were absolutely great. Matt Thornton was extremely personable and fun, and I heard Danks was the same way. Konerko was a pro when it came to signing things with a great autograph in the appropriate spot with the best pen. Alexei probably signed the most autographs and took time with each one to use the best pen and check with everyone as to where they wanted him to sign, and also instructed security to let everyone take pictures -- all done with a smile on his face. Edwin Jackson hung out in the room when Alexei was signing on Saturday and happily signed a lot of autographs himself. Chris Sale was accommodating whenever you ran into him. Brent Morel was humble, saying he just hopes to make the team with a good spring. The only sort of negative was A.J., who was about 15 minutes late to his Saturday session (which costs you time to get a later autograph). I also saw that he was late to his photo session, and he also seemed to pick and choose who he gave a good autograph to versus a sloppy one.

A cool little thing the Sox did was run giveaways for Twitter followers. Got a Peavy bobblehead Saturday and a Cell miniature Sunday.

There's a few areas where Soxfest can still be improved. Most of these should have been easily taken care of years ago. It's annoying that some of this b.s. continues to happen year after year.

- Got there Friday morning and got in line in the Empire Room. Then, for some ridiculous reason, we all get booted out of the Empire Room and told to wait in the lobby. The line naturally gets screwed up and breaks down as more people arrive in a crowded lobby. The Empire Room is eventually re-opened for a line to form and there's a mini-Who scene as people try to get to the front of the line. I wind up farther back then my original place in line, and people start Soxfest with having a bad experience. What the heck? There is no excuse for this baloney. Poor, poor, poor.

- Lots of line cutting continues to take place. I noticed Sunday morning was particularly bad. Lots of people wound up in Konerko's line that did not line up for Soxfest entry in the Empire Room. They obviously jumped the entrance line by elevators and stairs...This can be easily prevented by handing out numbered wristbands in the Empire Room. Then entry into the fest would be done in the order of arrival in line. A novel concept, huh? It's done at concerts at the time. Then the entry wristband would have to be shown to get an autograph band. That would stop the line jumpers cold. There's no excuse for this not to happen in the future.

- Kill all the music. I felt like a prisoner of war being tortured by hearing Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend" and U2's "Sweetest Thing" over and over and over again.

- To paraphrase a political rant, "The Garage Sale prices are too damn high!" On some bats and especially jerseys, prices were generally $100 higher than the stuff is worth in the sports memorabilia market. Some other stuff was grossly mispriced. Bats with chunks missing are not worth hundreds of dollars and promising players should not be priced as if they're five-time all-stars. I know proceeds are for charity, but it doesn't do anyone any good when the stuff isn't sold. At the very least, prices should be in line with how much the stuff is worth. I contend prices should be cheaper than that to sell more items and raise the most money for charity. And that would make many more fans happy. It would be a win-win for everyone.

- Capacity needs to be limited on a day such as Saturday. It just gets too crowded. It's not good P.R. to take people's money and then let them find out that one autograph line after another is filled.

Overall, Soxfest is a great event, but it's frustrating to run into many of the same problems year after year, problems that can be easily fixed with a little more effort by the Sox.saturday seemed to be half dead. of course, i didnt partake in the autographs.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
How were the crowds compared to previous years? Were they much larger, more excited, etc.? I tried to find out if this year's Soxfest was sold out, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if it sold out this year?i doubt it was. they ADDED tickets to saturday becuase of the bears. and the sox were selling passes at the palmer house day of.

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Overall, Soxfest is a great event, but it's frustrating to run into many of the same problems year after year, problems that can be easily fixed with a little more effort by the Sox.

Saturday was definitely the most frustrating day of the weekend, but having been to SoxFest 18 out of 19 years, I knew that going in. Unfortunately, it didn't lessen said frustration when, at 9:30 in the morning, almost every autograph line from then until noon had already reached capacity. Because of this, I got into the Thornton/Santos line, despite having gotten Santos's autograph on Friday night when he was signing with Ohman. It was better than nothing.

Not only do the same problems frustrate me, but so is how I'm treated by some of the SoxFest employees (I'm referring to those who wear the red & white striped polo shirts). I get sick and tired of being talked down to by some 17 or 18 year old kid -- either when I'm in line waiting for an autograph or pleasantly waiting to get into the Red Lacquer Room on Friday for the Opening Ceremony. I've been attending SoxFest longer than some of those employees have been alive and don't like being talked to as though I'm an idiot. I could run SoxFest better than they can. I'm sure they're just taking instruction from their superiors, but it's still annoying as hell.

One definite highlight for me was getting to meet and have my picture taken with Frank Thomas. I'd never met him or gotten his autograph at previous SoxFests because I didn't like the idea of spending four hours in line to meet one player (long before colored wristbands came to being); I was all about the quantity of autographs back in the '90s. I did get in line at 9:30 in the morning to ensure myself a wristband for his photo session yesterday, but only spent about 45 minutes in line before wristbands were distributed. In the meantime, I went to the seminar room and caught a couple of good ones between 10:15 and when I got in line for Thomas's photo session.

Frank is ENORMOUS!!!! When it was my turn, I shook his hand and told him, "I've waited 21 years for this day," to which he responded, "You have?! Then let's give a big smile for this picture." He couldn't have been nicer. I had a SoxFest employee take the picture with my camera, too, and when I looked at it, couldn't believe how much Frank towered over me! I know the dude is 6'5" and I'm a diminutive 5'2", but still... he's simply massive!!! I thought it was classy of Frank to show up 15 minutes early, too. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he wanted to have the photo session wrapped up by the time the Bears game started, but regardless, he didn't have to do that.

ohiosoxfan
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
For those of you who attended the seminars, did anyone ask Kenny or Ozzie about Freddy Garcia and the chances of him being a member of the 2011 Sox? I didn't see anything in the news about it and wondered if the subject may have been brought up. Thanks.

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Mod Edit: We do not solicit information on how to skirt around White Sox policies to rob them, or their charities, of revenue.

salty99
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I'd like to hear from someone who got the Big Hurt package if it was worth the cost for the extras regular fans didn't get. How was the Big Hurt autograph session and extra seminar?
Brian26 should also post the picture of Edwin's watch..that thing was nuts.

mzh
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd like to hear from someone who got the Big Hurt package if it was worth the cost for the extras regular fans didn't get. How was the Big Hurt autograph session and extra seminar?
Brian26 should also post the picture of Edwin's watch..that thing was nuts.
:o: I'm surprised a swarm of crows didn't descend on him for all the shininess in that thing

Brian26
01-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the camera on my phone, so the quality isn't the best.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg614/scaled.php?tn=0&server=614&filename=ovdyp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

salty99
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
That's good enough to get the general idea.

Ron Karkovice
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Alexei was blinging too

Ron Karkovice
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd post a picture, but I'm on my gf's mac and have no idea how to do anything from this damn laptop.

BainesHOF
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I forgot to add that once again the Sox let some people into the Garage Sale early in full view of the paying customers who wait hours in line to get in. There were a handful of people grabbing items early. At least one of these annual offenders doesn't even buy a Soxfest ticket. He raids the sale and leaves.

I'm sick of this. Not only do I spend a couple hundred bucks to attend Soxfest, but I also wait for hours in line to have a crack at some good items for my collection. Meanwhile, the Sox allow two-bit scammers into the sale early to cherry pick the best items to sell on eBay and elsewhere.

Nelfox02
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
I forgot to add that once again the Sox let some people into the Garage Sale early in full view of the paying customers who wait hours in line to get in. There were a handful of people grabbing items early. At least one of these annual offenders doesn't even buy a Soxfest ticket. He raids the sale and leaves.

I'm sick of this. Not only do I spend a couple hundred bucks to attend Soxfest, but I also wait for hours in line to have a crack at some good items for my collection. Meanwhile, the Sox allow two-bit scammers into the sale early to cherry pick the best items to sell on eBay and elsewhere.

Has anyone from the Sox ever explained any reasoning to this at all? I can see how this would be extremely irritating for you guys who wait to get into the Garage Sale first.

salty99
01-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Has anyone from the Sox ever explained any reasoning to this at all? I can see how this would be extremely irritating for you guys who wait to get into the Garage Sale first.

Exactly, it does no good to complain on here. The people running this need to know what is going. I saw some of these people and the guy running the garage was talking to them discretely on the side.

BainesHOF
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM
We all know members of the front office staff read this site. It's up to them to do something about it. If they don't, they're about to lose a customer. Between the annual Garage Sale shenanigans and the large amount of people that magically appeared ahead of me in Sunday's Konerko line, I'm tired of being screwed right in front of my face.

soltrain21
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
We all know members of the front office staff read this site. It's up to them to do something about it. If they don't, they're about to lose a customer. Between the annual Garage Sale shenanigans and the large amount of people that magically appeared ahead of me in Sunday's Konerko line, I'm tired of being screwed right in front of my face.

I still think you have to email them directly about the situation. It doesn't matter to me in anyway, but that sounds like a bull**** arrangement going on.

salty99
01-26-2011, 10:36 AM

I would still personally e-mail them. They have no idea who BainseHOF is or what your exact complaints are. Actually I went to one of the people outside of the Konerko room and told them what happened and the guy just laughed and did nothing about it.

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
christine o reilly is the person you need to YELL at. she thinks everything at soxfest is hunky dory.

Soxman24
01-26-2011, 11:42 AM
christine o reilly is the person you need to YELL at. she thinks everything at soxfest is hunky dory.

Is it just me or is the merchandise marked a little high also? The Sox flags that hang at USCF sell for $150 but are beat to ****. Also, game worn jerseys are way overpriced. I saw a few jerseys with no names and numbers going for $75.00-$100.00, and these things were well worn.

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
soxfest garage sale items are typically a bit higher, as they are using that to subsidize the lost dealer space. 2005 WS hats were $5 at the clubhouse dale in december, but $10 at soxfest?

Soxman24
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
soxfest garage sale items are typically a bit higher, as they are using that to subsidize the lost dealer space. 2005 WS hats were $5 at the clubhouse dale in december, but $10 at soxfest?

I have also noticed the same items a little cheaper at the regular garage sale in May.

shenk16
01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but why does Grandstand or even Triple Threat not have a stand in the vendors section of Soxfest?

salty99
01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but why does Grandstand or even Triple Threat not have a stand in the vendors section of Soxfest?

The vendor cost must be too high I'm guessing. I know Grandstand was there in years past but not lately. Triple Threat is running a sale on 2010 Authentic road jerseys for $110 I believe.

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but why does Grandstand or even Triple Threat not have a stand in the vendors section of Soxfest?probably becuase they do not see the benefits to paying the sox way too much money to sell to a handful of people.

shenk16
01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
That makes sense. I just wonder what the cost is per vendor space? Gomez takes up 4 spots and pretty much has a monopoly on any type and size of photos for people to get signed.

salty99
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
That makes sense. I just wonder what the cost is per vendor space? Gomez takes up 4 spots and pretty much has a monopoly on any type and size of photos for people to get signed.

He needs that much space just to house all the people running back and forth all day getting autographs

We Treat'em
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
He's gotta be making enough to cover 4 spots and make a tidy sum, not to mention the 10+ employees on pay roll.

shenk16
01-27-2011, 08:05 AM
He needs that much space just to house all the people running back and forth all day getting autographs

Yeah, I saw quite a few of them pulling line jumping shenanigans as usual...as well as the old "please don't put my wristband on too tight" trick. If you have never had the privilege of witnessing these tactics before, just come out to any public signing in the Chicagoland area. It's quite entertaining.

ewokpelts
01-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I saw quite a few of them pulling line jumping shenanigans as usual...as well as the old "please don't put my wristband on too tight" trick. If you have never had the privilege of witnessing these tactics before, just come out to any public signing in the Chicagoland area. It's quite entertaining.which is why soxfest shoudl charge for player autographs, a la the cardinals show.

Nelfox02
01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
which is why soxfest shoudl charge for player autographs, a la the cardinals show.

please no

by the time you pay for hotel and weekend pass this event is already quite pricey....to then charge for autographs on top of it?

For me personally I just could not justify the cost vs what I am getting. I would basically no longer stay at the hotel or attend Friday night and just use the money I saved doing that to pre order autographs. And that would suck because I really enjoy the experience of getting away for a weekend and being downtown and hanging out with other fans and talking baseball.

I know a lot of people hate getting up early or being in the lines, but I actually like it to some degree, its a good chance to bs with other sox fans that you see at this event like once a year. Sure, sometimes its frustrating fighting thru the lines on a Saturday afternoon, but in the end its worth it

every year I dread the sox are going to announce this event is going to a pay per graph system, or a random lottery system (a la the flubs)........

ewokpelts
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
please no

by the time you pay for hotel and weekend pass this event is already quite pricey....to then charge for autographs on top of it?

For me personally I just could not justify the cost vs what I am getting. I would basically no longer stay at the hotel or attend Friday night and just use the money I saved doing that to pre order autographs. And that would suck because I really enjoy the experience of getting away for a weekend and being downtown and hanging out with other fans and talking baseball.

I know a lot of people hate getting up early or being in the lines, but I actually like it to some degree, its a good chance to bs with other sox fans that you see at this event like once a year. Sure, sometimes its frustrating fighting thru the lines on a Saturday afternoon, but in the end its worth it

every year I dread the sox are going to announce this event is going to a pay per graph system, or a random lottery system (a la the flubs)........Cardinals fest has a MUCH lower ticket price to get in, so that offsets some of the auto cost.

If I wanted Pujols' autograph, do I want to sit in a soxfest style line, where there is major line cutting and autohounds getting prime access, or just pay what his signature is worth(he sells for $200) and be done with it? Oh, and every penny goes to charity.

Also, not every player is like pujos witha steep price tag. most are 5-10 dollars.

ewokpelts
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
oh, and for the record, almost every sox player has certified autographed cards or memorabilia on ebay dirt cheap.

I got a Quentin signed bat for $25 shipping included. $15 for a Konerko signed HAT. $4 for a Konerko card signed by him, shipping included. The card cost me more to ship than win it on ebay.

Considering that fans get 1-2 seconds TOPS of interaction witha player at soxfest, thsi is a much cheaper alternative.

Nelfox02
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
oh, and for the record, almost every sox player has certified autographed cards or memorabilia on ebay dirt cheap.

I got a Quentin signed bat for $25 shipping included. $15 for a Konerko signed HAT. $4 for a Konerko card signed by him, shipping included. The card cost me more to ship than win it on ebay.

Considering that fans get 1-2 seconds TOPS of interaction witha player at soxfest, thsi is a much cheaper alternative.

Valid points.....but some things to consider

1----if you collect certain types of autograhs, then buying them online will not work. For example I do a lot of team balls, also I get a lot of specific photos that are generally not available already signed on line.

2----Unless you see it signed personally, there is no way to know FOR SURE that an item was actually signed by the player. COA's are great, but I have seen a lot of items on EBAY and some other outlets that come with COA and the autograph looks questionable at best. I dont a lot of signed items online but it seems like if you want to buy an autograph from one of the larger companies that has a product you can trust, you are going to pay for that piece of mind.

3---even if it is just a few seconds, a lot of us still get a rush from meeting a player, even if you've met that player a lotn

It all depends on what you are into I guess.......for me events like Sox Fest are still valuable even tho there are cheaper graphing alternatives out there.

ewokpelts
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Valid points.....but some things to consider

1----if you collect certain types of autograhs, then buying them online will not work. For example I do a lot of team balls, also I get a lot of specific photos that are generally not available already signed on line.

2----Unless you see it signed personally, there is no way to know FOR SURE that an item was actually signed by the player. COA's are great, but I have seen a lot of items on EBAY and some other outlets that come with COA and the autograph looks questionable at best. I dont a lot of signed items online but it seems like if you want to buy an autograph from one of the larger companies that has a product you can trust, you are going to pay for that piece of mind.

3---even if it is just a few seconds, a lot of us still get a rush from meeting a player, even if you've met that player a lotn

It all depends on what you are into I guess.......for me events like Sox Fest are still valuable even tho there are cheaper graphing alternatives out there.certified autographed cards are typically the cheapest on ebay. those come stright out of packs.

but you can also find quite a few deals for autos that were signed for the big auto houses like stiener or mounted memories. you just need to know where to look.

The Konerko hat I have was done through fleer back in 2001. That was a box premium from Fleer Legacy. Topps and Playoff both did balls in box that year.

2002 Playoff did mini-jersey frames(player number in jersey style, but non-game used fabric) with sticker autos and a card in the frame. I picked up two buehrle frames over the last few years. both are nice.