PDA

View Full Version : Remember when the Cubs convention would sell out in 10 seconds every year? no more...

ewokpelts
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/community/com_convention.jsp

Tickets and hotel packages still available a month after they went on sale....

Tommy Boy Ricketts aint doin so hot now.......

Dan H
12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
The bubble has burst on the North Side. Hitting the 100-year mark was symbolic. It also doesn't help that the Cubs keep dubious company with the Nationals and Mariners as the only teams not going to the World Series since divisional play began in 1969. Even Cub fans can get sick of this stuff.

jdm2662
12-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I know plenty of Cub fans that gave me this big talk how great their fans are, etc. They are now fed up with the team and everything else with Cubdom. It was only a matter of time, I guess.

doublem23
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I know plenty of Cub fans that gave me this big talk how great their fans are, etc. They are now fed up with the team and everything else with Cubdom. It was only a matter of time, I guess.

Ebb and flow. FWIW, the only people I know now who are still "seriously in love with the Cubs" are bandwagoners who really don't care about baseball, don't know what a balk is, don't know who the Cubs' CF was last year, etc. Most of the guys I know who are/were diehards are getting sick and tired of the whole clown show BS. I mean, they still get jacked up to watch the Cubs and still enjoy going to games occassionally, but you can see that whole gentrification of Cubdom has really started weighing on them, especially since they see no fruits of having the team's soul sold to the devil on the playing field.

ewokpelts
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
A big factor is how badly the ricketts have run things since they took over.
Since the initial press conference they have:

Raised Ticket Prices for 2010 and 2011

Offered a "pre-sale" where the ticket buyer had to pay a 15-20% premium just to get tickets before the public onsale.

12% amusement tax applied AFTER the face value of the ticket, effectively raising ticket prices 12% beyond the intitial ticket price increase announcement.(All other chicago teams include the tax in the ticket cost, same as movie theaters).

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Moving Harry Carey's statue(yes, it was to make room for Billy Williams, but still...)

Breaking the Harry Carey statue while setting up for the NU/IL football game.

Undewrcover Boss

Laying off employees a day after undercover boss has tommy boy saying they love thier workers.

outsourcing thier publications dept.

the "let's get the state to rennovate wrigley" push

Anything I miss?

jdm2662
12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Offered a "pre-sale" where the ticket buyer had to pay a 15-20% premium just to get tickets before the public onsale.

12% amusement tax applied AFTER the face value of the ticket, effectively raising ticket prices 12% beyond the intitial ticket price increase announcement.(All other chicago teams include the tax in the ticket cost, same as movie theaters).

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Moving Harry Carey's statue(yes, it was to make room for Billy Williams, but still...)

Undewrcover Boss

Laying off employees a day after undercover boss has tommy boy saying they love thier workers.

Anything I miss?

A real ****ty team on the field.

ewokpelts
12-01-2010, 02:30 PM
A real ****ty team on the field.that's jim hendry(under johnny mccub)'s fault.

tommy boy inherited a crap fest there

Moses_Scurry
12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Keeping Jim Hendry.

I think a winning season or big acquisition will pretty much return things to the way they were with the cubs. It sounds like that big acquisition won't be happening this offseason though. It would be nice to see them run off a nice Pittsburgh-like futility streak, but I doubt it will happen without a big change in baseball economics.

DrCrawdad
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM

For years I've been amused with how Cubbie Clowns got so full of themselves about the popularity of the Cubbies, as if they were investors and were earning money as a result of the popularity. So if the Cubbies popularity dwindles AND they still "suck" what do Cubbie fans have to boast about?

BTW I believe too that the Sox winning the World Series plays a role too in the Cubbies dip in popularity. There are no doubt a bunch of reasons - monumental years of suckitude, price increases, economic factors but don't dismiss the Sox winning in '05 as a factor as well.

Brian26
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Undewrcover Boss

Anything I miss?

The fact that the Sox went deeper in the playoffs in 2008 than destiny's team did.

MARTINMVP
12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I think fans on the north side are honestly worn out. Many years of mediocrity, with a cruel tease in 2003, to be followed by more mediocrity. Then 2007 and 2008 came, with 2008 being the year they finally thought was "it," and they fell flat and 2009 and 2010 happened. The organization has fallen far since the highs of 2008.

I don't hang out at Wrigley so I wouldn't know which Cub fan stopped going as the season progressed - the true diehard Cub fan who is baseball serious or the frat kiddies who go for the party - or a combination of both?

I do agree that all it will take is winning season and things will be back to the way they were, assuming that winning season somehow happens in 2011 or 2012. Most Cub fans don't have any expectations in 2011 so if they suck, it won't be that much of a shock. Beyond 2012 of mediocrity, you'll see a consistent 28,000 to 30,000 at Wrigley.

WhiteSox5187
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I think fans on the north side are honestly worn out. Many years of mediocrity, with a cruel tease in 2003, to be followed by more mediocrity. Then 2007 and 2008 came, with 2008 being the year they finally thought was "it," and they fell flat and 2009 and 2010 happened. The organization has fallen far since the highs of 2008.

I don't hang out at Wrigley so I wouldn't know which Cub fan stopped going as the season progressed - the true diehard Cub fan who is baseball serious or the frat kiddies who go for the party - or a combination of both?

I do agree that all it will take is winning season and things will be back to the way they were, assuming that winning season somehow happens in 2011 or 2012. Most Cub fans don't have any expectations in 2011 so if they suck, it won't be that much of a shock. Beyond 2012 of mediocrity, you'll see a consistent 28,000 to 30,000 at Wrigley.

I think the Cubs would have to be beyond horrendous to start averaging under 30,000 tickets sold a game. People might not show up (like this year) but those tickets will still be hold because people want to go and get drunk in Wrigleyville and what better atmosphere than at a Cubs game?

soxinem1
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Undewrcover Boss

Anything I miss?

Really over-paying for a ****ty team with a bloated payroll and a crumbling eyesore of a park.

Now the list is complete.

DumpJerry
12-01-2010, 10:07 PM

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Undewrcover Boss

Anything I miss?
You're not a bitter Cub fan, are you? Hard to tell.

johnnyg83
12-02-2010, 12:08 AM
For years I've been amused with how Cubbie Clowns got so full of themselves about the popularity of the Cubbies, as if they were investors and were earning money as a result of the popularity.

This is such a great point. I remember the Cubs fans saying "but your World Series was so low rated on TV" What the ****. It had to be the only thing they could think of. How could that possibly matter to a real fan?

C-Dawg
12-02-2010, 06:54 AM
This is such a great point. I remember the Cubs fans saying "but your World Series was so low rated on TV"

They're still saying that. They think 2005 was the absolute lowest possible ratings imagineable. But weren't several years World Series afterward even lower ratings? I suppose that doesn't matter to the Sox-obsessed Cub fans....

DrCrawdad
12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
This is such a great point. I remember the Cubs fans saying "but your World Series was so low rated on TV" What the ****. It had to be the only thing they could think of. How could that possibly matter to a real fan?

They love winning the Attendance Game. Of all the things that give Cubbie Clowns pride it's all those Attendance Championship trophies.

Regarding the '05 World Series TV ratings put-downs, it's funny there was all sorts of clamor about how immensely popular the Hawks Championship games were. Yet IIRC the '05 World Series was watched by more folks locally and by over 2x as many nationally.

tstrike2000
12-02-2010, 07:10 AM
All it takes on the north side is another fan favorite to emerge, fairly significant signing and/or a decent year next year and Scrubs convention will sell out fast again.

ewokpelts
12-02-2010, 07:44 AM
The fact that the Sox went deeper in the playoffs in 2008 than destiny's team did.I'm referring ONLY to ricketts' reign. 2008 was the tribsters

ewokpelts
12-02-2010, 07:46 AM
You're not a bitter Cub fan, are you? Hard to tell.
I deal with hangar18. I have to keep up on these things.

DumpJerry
12-02-2010, 08:03 AM
I deal with hangar18. I have to keep up on these things.
There is medication available for this.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
There is medication available for this.

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Bring me a drink every 15 minutes until I pass out.

Then bring them every 20 minutes. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I am old enough to remember when they closed off the upper deck at Wrigley in the late 70s due to to attendance issues.

The combination of the power of the Tribune's marketing department, yuppies moving into a trendy neighborhood and bonehead moves by the (then) new owners of the White Sox, i.e. Sportsvision, letting Harry Cary switch teams, the failed marketing attempt to sell the SOX as "Chicago's American League Team in an effort to draw Cubs fans and not realizing Chicago fans choose sides, threatening to move to Florida, the failed original Comiskey II design, etc. all led to Cubs market dominance that began in the early 80s.

I truly believe with the Tribune marketing power no longer available, the Cubs stranglehold of the casual and tourist fan will begin to fade. Even the true core Cubs fan has got to be getting sick of this. We're talking generations of fans not seeing a World Series team. That's why I laugh at any news story about Rickett's considering tearing down Wrigley. It's the only thing he has! Ther on-field performance won't draw fans.

kittle42
12-02-2010, 10:23 AM
They love winning the Attendance Game. Of all the things that give Cubbie Clowns pride it's all those Attendance Championship trophies.

It really is ridiculous. A Sox fan can't say one positive thing about the Sox or one negative thing about the Cubs without a Cubs fan taking a popularity or attendance-based shot at the Sox.

Seriously, Cub fans, WE DON'T CARE. Sometimes I think they'd still feel superior if they were 0-162 but sold out 81 home games and traveled well.

asindc
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
It really is ridiculous. A Sox fan can't say one positive thing about the Sox or one negative thing about the Cubs without a Cubs fan taking a popularity or attendance-based shot at the Sox.

Seriously, Cub fans, WE DON'T CARE. Sometimes I think they'd still feel superior if they were 0-162 but sold out 81 home games and traveled well.

Sadly (and very tellingly), some of them still would.

asindc
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM

The Toyota Sign

The "noodle"

Undewrcover Boss

Anything I miss?

This list reminds me of the beginning of Danny Boy Snyder's reign here in DC.

DrCrawdad
12-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Sadly (and very tellingly), some of them still would.

So true. So true.

I'll tell them, if as I often hear that Sox fans care more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning then it's also true that Cubs fans care more about winning the Attendance/Popularity Trophy than a World Series Trophy..

moochpuppy
12-03-2010, 07:36 AM

People are saving their tax dollars to improve The Beer Garden on Addison.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Red:

The Cubs were completely closing the upper deck as 'recently' as 1983.

Lip

DSpivack
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
This list reminds me of the beginning of Danny Boy Snyder's reign here in DC.

Not that it matters for fans, but at least he's shown the ability to make money. The Ricketts seem generally clueless all around thus far.

asindc
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Not that it matters for fans, but at least he's shown the ability to make money. The Ricketts seem generally clueless all around thus far.

True. Snyder's only real problem is that he thinks he can apply his successful business model to all of his football operations, including roster management and customer relations. The Ricketts, so far, seem to have had no idea what they were getting into.

RadioheadRocks
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
They're still saying that. They think 2005 was the absolute lowest possible ratings imagineable. But weren't several years World Series afterward even lower ratings? I suppose that doesn't matter to the Sox-obsessed Cub fans....

Because in the grand scheme of things we ALL know popularity is MUCH more important than championship caliber baseball. :rolleyes:

TDog
12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Because in the grand scheme of things we ALL know popularity is MUCH more important than championship caliber baseball. :rolleyes:

The White Sox-Astros World Series was not the lowest rated ever. But if you want to argue such things, you might consider that more people watched the White Sox win Game 4 on television than have seen any World Series game the Cubs have ever played.

And if you want to talk about record-low viewership, the last time the Cubs won a World Series, television had not yet been invented. There was no commercial radio. There was just the people in the ballpark. The attendance for the World Series-clinching game on October 14, 1908, was just 6,210. That is an all-time low.

I guess more people didn't show up because it conflicted with the 842nd anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

soltrain21
12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
The White Sox-Astros World Series was not the lowest rated ever. But if you want to argue such things, you might consider that more people watched the White Sox win Game 4 on television than have seen any World Series game the Cubs have ever played.

And if you want to talk about record-low viewership, the last time the Cubs won a World Series, television had not yet been invented. There was no commercial radio. There was just the people in the ballpark. The attendance for the World Series-clinching game on October 14, 1908, was just 6,210. That is an all-time low.

I guess more people didn't show up because it conflicted with the 842nd anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

TcxpbhM0DaA

MarySwiss
12-03-2010, 04:00 PM

:rolling:

TheVulture
12-07-2010, 12:09 AM
I really can't stand anything cub related, but you'd think Wrigley Field is the only sports venue in America where fans engage in drunken revelry if you went by reports of some of the posters here at WSI.

asindc
12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I really can't stand anything cub related, but you'd think Wrigley Field is the only sports venue in America where fans engage in drunken revelry if you went by reports of some of the posters here at WSI.

I hear what you saying here, but the distinction to be made here is that the drunken revelry at Wrigley generally takes place with little to no interest in what is happening on the field. Even many of the true Cubs fan recognize that and don't like it.

DrCrawdad
12-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Is there drunkenness at The Cell? Yes, without a doubt. Large sporting events where alcohol is served there is drunkenness and buffoonery as a result. But as even many Cubs fans admit, what takes place regularly at Wrigley Field is worse than the norm for large sporting events where alcohol is served.

I hear what you saying here, but the distinction to be made here is that the drunken revelry at Wrigley generally takes place with little to no interest in what is happening on the field. Even many of the true Cubs fan recognize that and don't like it.

Here are two examples. The first from 2002. (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs/msg/28fafb9d783b2653?hl=en&dmode=source) The second from this year. (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2010/5/13/1470313/the-wrigley-field-bleachers-are)

SOXPHILE
12-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Of course there's drunken stupidity at all MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL venues. What people can't stand is that Wrigley Field is nothing but the world's largest beer garden/frat party/singles bar. Lots and lots of so called "Cub Fans" attending the games are nothing more than assclown fratboys and trixies, who don't really care or know too much about what's actually going on out on the field. They're too busy swilling down bad beer, hitting on each other. They can be easily identified even before they open their mouths. The guys will usually have on backwards hats, flip flops, and either be shirtless, (shirt tucked into shorts), or if not wearing some type of Cubs shirt, will have on a "Wrigley Field" shirt, a "Wrigley Field Bleachers" shirt, or some sort of clever alcohol related shirt ("Shut Up And Drink Your Beer"). The girls will have little pink or blue Cubbie t-shirts, sometimes with the name of current or past Cubs players they though were cute -Grace, Theriot, DeRossa, etc. If asked, they will say that, yes, they are Cub fans, -(many times followed up with a drunken WOOOOOOOO CUBBIES !!!!)- but what they really are is "Cubs GAME Fans. No other sports venue is an end destination like this. At all the other ones, most people go to the park/stadium to actually watch the baseball/football/basketball/hockey game.

kittle42
12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Of course there's drunken stupidity at all MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL venues. What people can't stand is that Wrigley Field is nothing but the world's largest beer garden/frat party/singles bar. Lots and lots of so called "Cub Fans" attending the games are nothing more than assclown fratboys and trixies, who don't really care or know too much about what's actually going on out on the field. They're too busy swilling down bad beer, hitting on each other. They can be easily identified even before they open their mouths. The guys will usually have on backwards hats, flip flops, and either be shirtless, (shirt tucked into shorts), or if not wearing some type of Cubs shirt, will have on a "Wrigley Field" shirt, a "Wrigley Field Bleachers" shirt, or some sort of clever alcohol related shirt ("Shut Up And Drink Your Beer"). The girls will have little pink or blue Cubbie t-shirts, sometimes with the name of current or past Cubs players they though were cute -Grace, Theriot, DeRossa, etc. If asked, they will say that, yes, they are Cub fans, -(many times followed up with a drunken WOOOOOOOO CUBBIES !!!!)- but what they really are is "Cubs GAME Fans. No other sports venue is an end destination like this. At all the other ones, most people go to the park/stadium to actually watch the baseball/football/basketball/hockey game.

This is a 100% perfect post about what is wrong with Wrigley Field and the "Cubbie-loving" fanbase.