PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to Flowers?

thomas35forever
11-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard rumors not long ago that management is starting to recognize that Flowers is never going to reach his full potential. If that's true, I shudder at the thought of him as our starting catcher on the big league roster next year. Color me unimpressed with his 2010. Do we just let him wallow in the minors until he proves himself or is there any way to prove he is worth something?

DirtySox
11-30-2010, 12:17 AM
He's had 1 down season. I don't have tons of hope for him, but it would be foolish to write him off entirely. Not much else to do with him except hope he rebounds next season (in the minors). If he busts, he busts.

Noneck
11-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Maybe bring him up for awhile during the year and hope the pitchers dont read him quick. Then have the hawkster give him a nickname and hope someone bites before teams get a true read on him. Oops, they tried that before and it didnt work with someone else.

WhiteSox5187
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard rumors not long ago that management is starting to recognize that Flowers is never going to reach his full potential. If that's true, I shudder at the thought of him as our starting catcher on the big league roster next year. Color me unimpressed with his 2010. Do we just let him wallow in the minors until he proves himself or is there any way to prove he is worth something?

According to this ESPN article the Sox management is believed to be high on Flowers, but that might be a negotiation tactic with AJ. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5866112

Dub25
11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know what is going to happen but I hope he is good because he was the centerpiece of the Javy trade.

VMSNS
11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I was under the impression that he had improved dramatically in the category of defense, but still has a ways to go as a hitter. According to Hawk, he has a huge power bat, but I guess it just hasn't come to fruition yet.

It seems like whenever I hear some talk of Flowers, there is always conflicting reports about him. It's either "He's a monster hitter, but he can't catch!", OR "He's a serviceable catcher, but can't hit a lick!"

We can only hope he develops into a good player. We could definitely use a young/cheap power bat. We also know that Kenny is willing to trade him, seeing that he was dangling him to that Nats in that last-second offer for Dunn at the trade deadline (Jackson and Flowers for Dunn).

Lip Man 1
11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Just my gut feeling, I haven't asked anybody in the organization officially on this...I think the Sox will take a wait and see approach for another year with him. Will he improve his mechanics behind the plate? Will he improve his consistency at the plate?

If so, they'll find a spot for him...if not they'll try to ship him off with other "never will be's" in a deal for a proven major league player as Kenny has often done in the past.

As far as this year? I think the Sox re-sgin A.J. or sign Olivo (who supposedly they are talking to).

Lip

DirtySox
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I was under the impression that he had improved dramatically in the category of defense, but still has a ways to go as a hitter. According to Hawk, he has a huge power bat, but I guess it just hasn't come to fruition yet.

It seems like whenever I hear some talk of Flowers, there is always conflicting reports about him. It's either "He's a monster hitter, but he can't catch!", OR "He's a serviceable catcher, but can't hit a lick!"

We can only hope he develops into a good player. We could definitely use a young/cheap power bat. We also know that Kenny is willing to trade him, seeing that he was dangling him to that Nats in that last-second offer for Dunn at the trade deadline (Jackson and Flowers for Dunn).

Two seasons ago when he was hitting, plenty of scouting reports noted that his defense had improved greatly and the would be an adequate catcher.

This recent season when not hitting, plenty of scouting reports noted that he wasn't very good behind the plate.

He has plenty of power and good plate discipline, but his swing is long and needs to be tightened up, otherwise the K rate will continue to be unacceptable.

I haven't given up hope yet, as it was the first season he's ever struggled. I still think he can be solid regular if he figures things out.

Falstaff
12-01-2010, 03:04 AM
The man needs to choke up on the bat. Seems to me Bucky Dent was just about the last White Sox to choke up 2-3" on the hickory stick when in a 2 strike count or hit 'n run situation. Easiest way to correct on over long swig.

Lillian
12-01-2010, 07:10 AM
I remember reading last year that he was trying to make some major adjustments with his swing, at the suggestion of coaches, and that was the reason he struggled.
It was a question of becoming comfortable with the new approach.

cws05champ
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I remember reading last year that he was trying to make some major adjustments with his swing, at the suggestion of coaches, and that was the reason he struggled.
It was a question of becoming comfortable with the new approach.

Yes, but he scrapped the changes he made and stated to improve with his old approach. It was still a mostly lost year, but he's still only 24....he could become a solid regular still. I don't think you'll ever see him with a BA over .260 in the majors, but he is what he is...a good power bat that still gets on base at a decent clip.

dickallen15
12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
If he doesn't cut down on striking out vs. the garbage he's facing in AAA, he's not going to be able to make enough contact at the major league level to stick.

The Sox are probably holding out hope, but another year like the one he just had will make it a longshot he has much of a major league career. Its not like he's a 21 year old kid.

russ99
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
If he doesn't cut down on striking out vs. the garbage he's facing in AAA, he's not going to be able to make enough contact at the major league level to stick.

The Sox are probably holding out hope, but another year like the one he just had will make it a longshot he has much of a major league career. Its not like he's a 21 year old kid.

The big unspoken question with Flowers is were his early minor league numbers enhanced with PEDs (50 game suspension in early 2007), and we're seeing the real Flowers now?
Or is this just a normal kid who needs time to adjust to better AAA and MLB pitching and quality breaking/offspeed pitches?

This year will go a long way to answer that. The Sox also have 2 other decent (but not as hyped) catching prospects who could pass him in a year or two. If Flowers shows something with the bat this year, he could also be moved to 1B or DH.

SoxSpeed22
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
It wouldn't make sense to trade him now when his value is at it's lowest. It would make even less sense to give him the starting job when he's done nothing to earn it. We also know that his swing is too long, so if he doesn't cut that down, he won't make it. I'm more optimistic about Blanke at this point.

Carolina Kenny
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
According to this ESPN article the Sox management is believed to be high on Flowers, but that might be a negotiation tactic with AJ. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5866112

I was high on Flowers (in the 60's) but can't remember why.

wilburaga
12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm really sorry for this, but...

Young girls will pick them every one.

Noneck
12-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm really sorry for this, but...

Young girls will pick them every one.

Long time passing