PDA

View Full Version : Hate to 2nd guess Manuel when we win but...

MattSharp
06-29-2002, 05:15 PM
After Thomas' HR Mags got on. With no outs, Prior flustered and the league leader in RBI up, what is the explanation for sending Mags to steal? I mean serisouly I wonder sometimes.....

FarWestChicago
06-29-2002, 05:18 PM
If you hate to second guess Manuel when we win, don't.

RKMeibalane
06-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Maggs has pretty good speed. It's possible he may have done that on his own because he wanted to give Konerko a better chance to drive him in.

BTW, did anybody else find that soundbyte of Konerko telling his ball to "get down the line" interesting? I thought it was great.

doublem23
06-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
If you hate to second guess Manuel when we win, don't.

LOL...

We could have won, 6-4! Now I'm pissed!

God damn, get off the guy's back.

MattSharp
06-29-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

LOL...

Yea but insurance runs count for something too. I mean I know we won, but it just shows more bad managing by JM.

Jerry_Manuel
06-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Yea but insurance runs count for something too. I mean I know we won, but it just shows more bad managing by JM.

As someone else said, Magglio might have went on his won.

Blame Lofton for leaving the world on base today, if your looking for insurance runs.

baggio202
06-29-2002, 07:51 PM

with no outs i thought it was a very good move...if he gets into 2nd base konerko is almost automatic at moving the runner to 3rd by grounding out...then you valentin coming up who is hitt 455 with RISP...plus even when we are thrown out we seem to play better baseball when we stay agressive

Foulke You
06-29-2002, 08:20 PM

LOL...

Yes, but if Sammy comes through with a hit in the 9th (he didn't of course :smile: ) then that 6th run would've been very important. Regardless of who decided to steal, I think it was the wrong decision but it didn't hurt us so I'm not going to worry too much.

MattSharp
06-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Yes, but if Sammy comes through with a hit in the 9th (he didn't of course :smile: ) then that 6th run would've been very important. Regardless of who decided to steal, I think it was the wrong decision but it didn't hurt us so I'm not going to worry too much.

I hear that, but I am beginning to want JM out so bad I will look for anything I can.....

doublem23
06-29-2002, 10:21 PM
I hear that, but I am beginning to want JM out so bad I will look for anything I can.....

See, and I hate that attitude.

I can see how we can bitch after a loss, but COME ON. We won the damn game. Lay off the guy's back. Managing a baseball team is a VERY tough job. Has JM been flawless? No, but I don't think he's doing as a bad a job as we'd all like to think. Even the best managers can't win when you've got players like Kennhy Lofton, Royce Clayton, Josh Paul, etc. etc. who are/will be playing like crap.

Sox win, enjoy it. Sheesh.

Tragg
06-29-2002, 10:30 PM
ONe thing that was unusual today, is manuel's lack of use of the pen. Invariably he'll use 6 pitchers in a game like this - yesterday he used 4 after the Sox took the lead, one of which was a not terribly effective Osuna.
Today, he used one reliever for 3 innings - must be close to a record for jerry manuel.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 11:02 PM
Managing a baseball team is a VERY tough job.

It is? Is that what Leo Durocher said? Yogi Berra? Casey Stengle?Wasn't there some manager for the Yankees who drew the players names out of a hat for the lineup for a game or two?

You fill out the same lineup everyday and then you try not to overuse your bullpen. If you are in the NL, you maybe do a double switch a couple of times a week. You hope the guys play well, but if not, you call them all in and say, "Guys, we need to play better." You try not to fall asleep on the bench on hot days and worry about your sodium content from all the sunflower seeds you eat... Yeah, that's a tough job...

See Jerry's problem has been that he is overthinking the job and making it harder than it is. Now that he finally woke up and went back to a set lineup, the guys are scoring runs and playing better. Maybe the guys on the bench are a little ticked off, but they really aren't that good, or they would be starting in the first place, so screw 'em.

If JM can learn to put the same lineup out there every day and sleep through the first 6 innings of most ball games, he just might win manager of the year...

:)

Jerry_Manuel
06-29-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If JM can learn to put the same lineup out there every day and sleep through the first 6 innings of most ball games, he just might win manager of the year...

Won't happen. Once they face a lefty, Jose will ride the pine and Tony will play. You will never see the same lineup for more than 3 days in a row.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Won't happen. Once they face a lefty, Jose will ride the pine and Tony will play. You will never see the same lineup for more than 3 days in a row.

See, now I can understand why you think this game is hard to manage...

sigh...

Jerry_Manuel
06-29-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
See, now I can understand why you think this game is hard to manage...

sigh...

I didn't say it was hard to manage. I think it's easy, but dealing with the media blows.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I didn't say it was hard to manage. I think it's easy, but dealing with the media blows.

Only if you let it...

"Um, guys, we won today, I get all the credit... No? Okay, remember that the next time we lose..."