PDA

View Full Version : Whining and Excuses

RKMeibalane
06-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Cubs fans everywhere are making excuses for why their team is losing. One such individual believes that Paul Konerko is taking steroids. He feels that it is "the only explanation of for his performance," or something to that effect.

Give me a break! Konerko is one of the last players who would take steroids. He has improved so much because he has worked his ass off. Steve Lyons and Thomb Breneman were talking about his off-season schedule during the game. Breneman said he saw Konerko every day during the winter and that he was always working out, practicing his skills.

All of that aside, there are other reasons I cite to dispute the claim that Paul is using. First and foremost, Paul is more or less the same size as he has been the last few seasons. His arms don't look like they're about to tear through his uniform. Second, Paul's homeruns are mostly line drives that are hit well enough to travel over the fence. He isn't suddenly hitting these bombs all over the place.

Third, his homerun totals have gradually improved from year to year. He's hit 24, 21, 32, and 20 so far this season since he's joined the Sox. He will probably end up with 40 homers or so, which would be an eight homerun improvement over last season- hardly an indication of him using steroids.

I am just sick and tired of the whining that Cubs fans do. They refuse to acknowlege that their team sucks, so they blame the Cubs' struggles on everyone else. One day it's the umpires. The next, it's the attractive women sitting near the Cubs dugout. Ughh! Someone make it stop!

doublem23
06-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Welcome to Chicago: America's Worst Baseball City.

:walnuts :maggs :hurt :burly
What would this town do without us?

FarWestChicago
06-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Cubs fans everywhere are making excuses for why their team is losing. One such individual believes that Paul Konerko is taking steroids. He feels that it is "the only explanation of for his performance," or something to that effect. LMAO!!! A fan of the Flubs complaining about steroids when they have the poster boy for Nandrolone as their hero? That is too much! :)

:shammy

Nandrolone brand "vitamins" are the best!!

Chisox_cali
06-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Are they forgetting about another certain guy who's numbers have inflated more than his ego?

Also, For the life of me I can't figure out why in 90 degree heat is Shamme wearing long ****in sleeves?? He always has 8 million arm pads covering him up, what is he trying to hide?

:shammy
"Who Me?"

Randar68
06-29-2002, 08:22 PM
I am just sick and tired of the whining that Cubs fans do.

Sorry, but did you even read this board for the last 2 weeks?

Jerry_Manuel
06-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Maybe he was blinded by the light of Josh Paul's hitting ability. :smile:

RKMeibalane
06-29-2002, 08:34 PM

I'm aware of the fact that Sox fans do their share of whining. That's one of the things that draws me back to this board day after day. You see, the whining and complaining we do is justified. We should expect more from our team because it is capable of playing better than it has over the past 6-8 weeks. Cubs fans should just stop hoping for better days, because they will never come.

raul12
06-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Are they forgetting about another certain guy who's numbers have inflated more than his ego?

Also, For the life of me I can't figure out why in 90 degree heat is Shamme wearing long ****in sleeves?? He always has 8 million arm pads covering him up, what is he trying to hide?

i still don't see why pitchers don't drill him for standing over the plate so much. btw, what happens if you hit a player in the strike zone?

RKMeibalane
06-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by raul12

i still don't see why pitchers don't drill him for standing over the plate so much. btw, what happens if you hit a player in the strike zone?

It's still a hit batsmen. He'd get the base anyway. There are exceptions, though. Sometimes, the umpire may not award the base if he feels the batter didn't try to avoid being hit. This is extremely rare, however. Craig Biggio gets hit all the time because he stands on top of the plate. Sometimes, he tries to get hit, but no one does anything.

doublem23
06-29-2002, 11:22 PM

LOL!

Suh-lam!

Randar68
06-30-2002, 02:00 PM

It's still a hit batsmen. He'd get the base anyway. There are exceptions, though. Sometimes, the umpire may not award the base if he feels the batter didn't try to avoid being hit. This is extremely rare, however. Craig Biggio gets hit all the time because he stands on top of the plate. Sometimes, he tries to get hit, but no one does anything.

If a player is hit by a pitched ball in the strike zone, it's a strike. I'm 99% sure. It's equivalent to the ball going OVER the bag, or hitting fair past it.

What the umps call, and what the rules are are not always the same.

I'm pretty sure that ball that hit Patterson yesterday hit the nub of the bat, which should be a foul. The hands are part of the bat, but they never call that. If that pitch had actually caught his hand, he would have been hopping around in pain.

Umps are the reason the inside pitch has been taken away from the pitchers.

Paulwny
06-30-2002, 02:27 PM

If a player is hit by a pitched ball in the strike zone, it's a strike. I'm 99% sure.

Correct

Paulwny
06-30-2002, 02:40 PM

The hands are part of the bat, but they never call that. the

I didn't think this was correct, I found this: From Amateur Baseball Umpire Home Page
!

When the ball hits the hands the ball hits the batter, period. No arguments, just a need for some ice. The batter gets first base. Noone else advances unless forced ......

.... with two exceptions ... your batter was swinging in which case it is a strike! .... or .... your batter had their hands or the portion of the body that was hit in the strike zone, again the call is strike! And I'll add one note for you: no runners advance because it is a "dead ball". Dropped third strike rule? Sorry, it does not apply here! Strike Three ... the batter is out!

RKMeibalane
06-30-2002, 09:46 PM
My mistake. I didn't know that such a rule existed. I've watched baseball full time for ten years, and I've never seen an ump call a strike against hitters who dive over the heart of the plate and get plunked. I've seen strikes called when the ball hits the bat- that happens all the time; it's no different than a ball that's fouled back into the seats. Perhaps today's umps don't really enforce the rule. I guess the equivalent might be basketball players getting away with a double-dribble or traveling when handling the ball.

Thanks again for pointing that out.

steff
07-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Cubs fans everywhere are making excuses for why their team is losing. One such individual believes that Paul Konerko is taking steroids. He feels that it is "the only explanation of for his performance," or something to that effect.

I got one.. Cub fan behind us Saturday said that Frank was on the juice. When his buddy - in a Cubs jersey - said "well, he's been big a long time"... and the moron replied, "yep, he's been on them since he started playing football". Soooo, I said "that would mean that Frank started shootin' himself at about 11 years old." And he said, "yep". And went on to give reasons why he KNEW this was true. Just when I think people can't get any stupider... they do.

Kilroy
07-01-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by steff3603

...And went on to give reasons why he KNEW this was true. Just when I think people can't get any stupider... they do.

Unfortunatley, there ain't no law against being a dumbass...

steff
07-01-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Can you imagine...? And they think the jails are overcrowded now.. :D:

DVG
07-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

:ass

You rang?

RKMeibalane
07-01-2002, 04:54 PM
I know it's not right to shoot down other people, especially those who are less fortunate than we are, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Regarding the idiot Flub fan who thinks Frank is on steroids: if Frank were using, then why in the living hell would he be campaigning for MLB to start testing as soon as possible?!

Flub fan logic. You gotta' love it.