PDA

View Full Version : MLB Uniform Changes for 2011

PaleHoser
11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Twins announce new road alternate jersey (http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/sports-business/2010/11/twins-unveil-new-alternate-jerseys.html).
Tribe announces new road uniforms (http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101108&content_id=16026496&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle), new alternate home caps.
Nats announce a complete makeover (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101110&content_id=16055222&vkey=news_was&c_id=was).

Have I missed anything so far (other than White Sox road shoulder patch change which is covered in another thread)?

soltrain21
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Nationals uniforms are awful.

BleacherBandit
11-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the new Cleveland aways. The block lettering is a classic look.

SaltyPretzel
11-29-2010, 10:54 AM

I wonder how much money the Nats got from Walgreens.

skobabe8
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I ike the home white Nats uni.

But why do they think that new uni's are really going to 'get the fans out there'? I hate when marketing people say things like that.

Red Barchetta
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Hope the Nats stick with it this time. 3rd uniform change in 5 years.

I like their road grey with the "Washington" spelled out. Definitely has an old-school "Senators" feel to them.

I like the Indians off-white alternate home uniforms as well. I wonder if they will stick with the Saturday/Sunday only schedule. Something I wish the SOX would enforce with their black "alternate" jerseys.

russ99
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM

I like them. They're a throwback to the old Washington Senators uniforms from the late 60s-early 70s.

The Twins road alternate is awful. Why do they keep going with the "Win Twins" type lettering when their new throwback threads from last year are so much better.

TheOldRoman
11-29-2010, 12:07 PM
The Indians had the perfect look, one of the best in baseball. Since 2001 they have been chipping away at it. Their new look is terrible. Four different hats, two different shades of navy hat, and a red hat just to make it sillier. They have a modern look half the time and minimalist throwback the other half. What a cluster **** of an organization.

esbrechtel
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
The Indians had the perfect look, one of the best in baseball. Since 2001 they have been chipping away at it. Their new look is terrible. Four different hats, two different shades of navy hat, and a red hat just to make it sillier. They have a modern look half the time and minimalist throwback the other half. What a cluster **** of an organization.

Anyone else think this is the slow death to Chief Wahoo?

Nellie_Fox
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Anyone else think this is the slow death to Chief Wahoo?Yes, I said a while ago, that they'll just keep making subtle changes, the chief will appear less and less often, and one day someone will notice that he's gone. They won't make a big deal out of it, but his days are numbered.

hdog1017
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
The new alternate jersey...professional sports' version of putting more ice and less liquor in a drink. Profit, profit, profit.

thomas35forever
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Those 3rd Nats jerseys are pretty bad.

johnnyg83
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes, I said a while ago, that they'll just keep making subtle changes, the chief will appear less and less often, and one day someone will notice that he's gone. They won't make a big deal out of it, but his days are numbered.

I don't know, the only net loss on this is the hats. He's on the new jersey sleeves.

moochpuppy
12-03-2010, 04:50 PM

I like ike but not the Nationals uniforms.

hi im skot
12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I like ike but not the Nationals uniforms.

NO POLITICS MEANS NO POLITICS.

:cool:

johnnyg83
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I bet he meant Ike Hilliard.

nccwsfan
12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Nats- using the curly 'W' is a good idea and their new home jersey is an improvement over the 'Nationals' uni of 05'-10'. Like the new road cap also- that will look good with their gray uni. The blue unis are silly looking but if it's for holidays only that's fine. Haven't seen a red jersey I like yet and this is no different.

Twins- really like their gray road uni/cap from 10' and the throwback home unis they wore. Their blue unis are ok.

Indians- agree with other sentiments on this discussion. Chief Wahoo will one day be the Turn of the Clock hat.

nccwsfan
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
And FWIW I think the Indians should scrap the red hat and pretend it never existed. Their new road uni and home throwback unis are the way to go...

KMcMahon817
12-05-2010, 06:12 PM

I think Cleveland's are much worse. Their old jerseys were lightyears better. Why in the hell would they take the Indian off the hat? So classy looking.

dwitt76
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Indians home uniforms are brutal. The hat is brutal too. The road jersey is not bad though.

Ranger
12-05-2010, 07:03 PM

But why do they think that new uni's are really going to 'get the fans out there'? I hate when marketing people say things like that.

Believe it or not, in some situations, drastic uniform changes can have an attendance effect, though it may be slight. If it inspires people to buy the new jerseys, they are also more inclined to buy tickets and go to games.

Obviously, the best bet is put a winning team out there, but the smaller marketing moves sometimes help.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Believe it or not, in some situations, drastic uniform changes can have an attendance effect, though it may be slight. If it inspires people to buy the new jerseys, they are also more inclined to buy tickets and go to games.

Obviously, the best bet is put a winning team out there, but the smaller marketing moves sometimes help.

Have studies shown that a new uniform helps attendance? Or is it that a new owner buys the team which can lead to a new uniform and then more attendance. I know that's what happened to the Sox in 1971 when they went to the red pinstripes.

Ranger
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Have studies shown that a new uniform helps attendance? Or is it that a new owner buys the team which can lead to a new uniform and then more attendance. I know that's what happened to the Sox in 1971 when they went to the red pinstripes.

Of course there's research. That's what marketing people do. Surveys, focus groups, monitoring trends and statistics.

Think about it: new things, in general, bring about excitement. Maybe not for everyone and maybe not for every market. But marketing departments know that when there's change, or the perception of something new and different, people are more inclined to buy tickets. It's really just an attempt at re-branding, and the perception that a new uniform might signify a new era for the team.

Now, I don't think that would necessarily work in Chicago (I guess it would depend on the situation), but Washington is different.

Nellie_Fox
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Nats- using the curly 'W' is a good idea and their new home jersey is an improvement over the 'Nationals' uni of 05'-10'.Besides, it's really, really hard to misspell "W."

ewokpelts
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Obviously, the best bet is put a winning team out there, but the smaller marketing moves sometimes help.Worked for the Former Tampa Bay Devil Rays

TheOldRoman
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Worked for the Former Tampa Bay Devil RaysNot really. They were the one of the best teams in baeball in 2008 and still didn't get a substantial attendance bump.

Ranger
12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Worked for the Former Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Not really. They were the one of the best teams in baeball in 2008 and still didn't get a substantial attendance bump.

The Rays are in a unique situation, though. First, their attendance has improved since 2007, though it's still not good. But their problem really won't be solved until they actually move that park INTO Tampa. From everything I've ever heard from people that live in the area, it is ridiculously impossible to get to that park from where they live, and if the park were located in Tampa and not St. Pete, it would cut a half hour off the commute for most people.

Obviously, we have traffic too, but we also have a lot of transit options and getting to the park from Chicago proper is pretty easy if you use public transportation.

I think more importantly than anything else right now is the housing crisis which hit Florida particularly hard. You would have seen even greater attendance from them the last few years had that not happened.

ewokpelts
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Not really. They were the one of the best teams in baeball in 2008 and still didn't get a substantial attendance bump.the identity change didnt hurt as they became a suprise WS team in 2008. and the new look fits with them being young upstarts in the al east.

Red Barchetta
12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
The Rays are in a unique situation, though. First, their attendance has improved since 2007, though it's still not good. But their problem really won't be solved until they actually move that park INTO Tampa. From everything I've ever heard from people that live in the area, it is ridiculously impossible to get to that park from where they live, and if the park were located in Tampa and not St. Pete, it would cut a half hour off the commute for most people.

Obviously, we have traffic too, but we also have a lot of transit options and getting to the park from Chicago proper is pretty easy if you use public transportation.

I think more importantly than anything else right now is the housing crisis which hit Florida particularly hard. You would have seen even greater attendance from them the last few years had that not happened.

The Tampa/St. Pete area is in a world of hurt, however after driving the Chicago roads growing up, the Tampa Bay fans have no idea what true traffic gridlock is. I commuted to Tampa and it's only 30 minutes from DT Tampa to DT St. Pete during rush hour. I would hit I275 southbound around 5:30 PM on week nights that Boston or NY was in town playing the Rays and the traffic was not that bad. Nothing compared to the days where the Dan Ryan was under construction or I57.

However, Tampa better do something regarding their attendance issues or they will lose both the Rays and Bucs if things don't get better. The Bucs have a winning record however still cannot sell out their games and as a result the home games have been blacked-out all season. There is no way the NFL will allow that to continue and to devalue their product. Not with the history of franchise moves that the NFL has.

The same holds for the Rays. The current ownership has done everything within its power to draw fans included fielding one of the best teams in MLB over the last 4-5 seasons. They even offered a privately funded new ballpark option that only needed a council vote to approve it being built over an existing spring training baseball facility and it was voted down.

Montreal Rays anyone?

PaleHoser
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Angels have announced they will wear 80's era throwback uniforms for all Friday home games in 2011 as part of the "Flashback Fridays (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110128&content_id=16527310&vkey=pr_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana)" tie-in with their 50th Anniversary.

IMO, they'd have been better off going further back and bringing back the "LA" caps with the halo instead.

TomBradley72
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Anyone else think this is the slow death to Chief Wahoo?

We can only hope.

Red Barchetta
02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Angels have announced they will wear 80's era throwback uniforms for all Friday home games in 2011 as part of the "Flashback Fridays (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110128&content_id=16527310&vkey=pr_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana)" tie-in with their 50th Anniversary.

IMO, they'd have been better off going further back and bringing back the "LA" caps with the halo instead.

I really liked the Angels uniforms from the 80s. The red/blue trim with the California patch on the sleeve. I wish they would bring those back as their full-time uniform. (As long as they don't bring back the powder blue/feathers uniform aka "Angels in the Outfield". :o:

dwalteroo
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Forgive me if already posted, but:

San Diego has a new road jersey (going grey):
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/26/padres-unveil-new-road-uniform/

Oakland has a new alternate home jersey:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110127&content_id=16521908&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Red Barchetta
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110127&content_id=16521908&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I'm going to miss the Padres road sand-colored uniforms. I thought those were pretty unique. Their new gray road jerseys look a lot like the Tampa Bay Rays.

Their new camo alternate jerseys look good. I like how they honor the military with those. Pretty cool and looking more and more like real camo tops with each new design.

gogosox675
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm going to miss the Padres road sand-colored uniforms. I thought those were pretty unique. Their new gray road jerseys look a lot like the Tampa Bay Rays.

Their new camo alternate jerseys look good. I like how they honor the military with those. Pretty cool and looking more and more like real camo tops with each new design.

I'm going to miss those, too. Is it just me or did they not wear those very much? I feel like a lot of the time when I would see them playing a road game they wore the blue alternate jersey.

Red Barchetta
02-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm going to miss those, too. Is it just me or did they not wear those very much? I feel like a lot of the time when I would see them playing a road game they wore the blue alternate jersey.

Sounds like another team I know...:rolleyes:

Whitesox029
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Nats: I love the Nats new white home jerseys. They're very reminiscent of Detroit's classic home jerseys. I'm glad they got rid of that crappy lettering...I don't know why they didn't get rid of it on the home jerseys at the same time they got rid of it on the road ones. The red alternate looks good too, but I could do without the blue one.

Indians: I like everything but the red hats. The blue hat with a red C should be for both home and away. The new road jerseys are great, almost as big an improvement as the Twins' new road jerseys from last year.

A's: I like the new alternate, but I think it will look weird with white pants. They should go monochrome for those! Same goes for the Rays' and Royals' powder blue jerseys. The Blue Jays got it right with their powder blues, except that they wear them at home. :scratch: In any case, it's a good thing the A's got rid of the stupid black alternates. Black isn't even part of their color scheme.

Padres: Thumbs up. They called the old color "sand" but it was more like "puke".

PaleHoser
02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Dodgers announce "Throwback Days" promotion where they will wear fan-selected Brooklyn Dodgers uniforms for six selected weekday games this year.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/fan_forum/throwback.jsp?tcid=tw-misc2

I wonder if the stirrups will be mandatory?

soltrain21
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Dodgers announce "Throwback Days" promotion where they will wear fan-selected Brooklyn Dodgers uniforms for six selected weekday games this year.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/fan_forum/throwback.jsp?tcid=tw-misc2

I wonder if the stirrups will be mandatory?

Those 1931 uniforms are awesome.

Red Barchetta
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Those 1931 uniforms are awesome.

I agree. The powder blue ones from 1940 look like the KC Royals. :?:

soxfanatlanta
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I agree. The powder blue ones from 1940 look like the KC Royals. :?:

I like the 1911 option, I'm a fan of pin stripes for some reason :wink:

PaleHoser
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
The Dodgers are going with the power blue throwbacks (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/fan_forum/throwback.jsp).

Paul Lukas (Uniwatch Blog) posted a new column with MLB spring training uniform news on Page 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/110228_spring_training&sportCat=mlb) on ESPN. This article includes links to a catalog showing the new BP jerseys for all 30 teams.