PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas vs Edgar Martinez

LoveYourSuit
11-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I just got done watching the prime 9 on MLB TV. They list the top 9 DHs of all time.

How on earth does Edgar Martinez finish ahead Frank Thomas? Thomas as #2 and Edgar #1.

Edgar was a great player, don't get me wrong. But not even close to what Frank did as a DH or as a hitter.

521 HRs to 309. 1704 RBIs to 1261. 974 OPS to 933.

To make things worse, I did not realize that dumb ass Selig named the DH award after Edgar Martinez. Are you kidding me? Then the announcer goes as far as to mention that Edgar will be the litmus test for DHs getting into the HOF:rolleyes:. Frank Thomas is a HOF today, and will be a first ballot IMO. Edgar did not get in on his first try.

Please, what a pile of **** here.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2010, 01:53 PM
That is astounding, but I wonder if he's up there because Frank did get a bit of time at first base, so maybe they didn't consider him as merely a DH, but then that begs the question why he's even on the list.

Bobby Thigpen
11-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Frank played about 50/50 at both positions. His best years hitting were while he played 1b though. Take strictly his DH numbers and Frank was pretty good, but not as outstanding as he was his first 7 years in the league when he played over 3/4 of his time at 1B.

Absolutely nothing to get riled up about. As a strictly DH, Martinez was probably better.

TDog
11-25-2010, 10:26 PM

To make things worse, I did not realize that dumb ass Selig named the DH award after Edgar Martinez. Are you kidding me? Then the announcer goes as far as to mention that Edgar will be the litmus test for DHs getting into the HOF:rolleyes:. Frank Thomas is a HOF today, and will be a first ballot IMO. Edgar did not get in on his first try.

Please, what a pile of **** here.

Edgar Martinez played more than two-thirds of his major-league games as a designated hitter. Frank Thomas played more than half of his games as a DH, but he was a much better hitter as a first baseman. He hit about 60 points higher as a first baseman for his career. (Part of the reason for such a wide disparity could be that he played for a couple of seasons at the end with severely diminished skills and no glove, of course, but with the White Sox he always said he was a better hitter when he was playing the field.) He was primarily a first baseman in his two MVP seasons.

If you want to back up your argument with stats, note that Martinez had a better OPS as a DH and a better DH OPS than Thomas did while playing almost 100 more games at DH than Thomas.

gobears1987
11-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I think it is more than fair to say that Frank's best seasons came as a 1st baseman. He had some good DH seasons (2000 and 2003), but his best years came with him playing 1st.