PDA

View Full Version : Team Coming Together?

duke of dorwood
06-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Are we at a point where the team may be at a point where a trade might actually hurt chemistry?

RKMeibalane
06-29-2002, 04:34 PM
You could be right. There is definitely something different about this team now, especially since they were able to play solid ball against the Twins. I think Manuel and Williams should stick with what they have for a while to see if the Sox can play up to their potential.

doublem23
06-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Yeah, we've still got a month to pull off a deal, anyways. Lets let them play a little.

voodoochile
06-29-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yeah, we've still got a month to pull off a deal, anyways. Lets let them play a little.

Amazing what a set lineup will do for a team, No?

KruseControl04
06-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Amazing what a set lineup will do for a team, No?

That's true. If JM wouldn't tinker so much, I'm sure the Sox might have a few more wins under their belts. I say don't make any trades yet. Look at Royce! He's got himself a 6 game hitting streak. I never thought I'd see the day that Choice would get a hit in more than 5 consecutive games. Lets just hope he keeps the good hitting up.

guillen4life13
06-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by KruseControl04

That's true. If JM wouldn't tinker so much, I'm sure the Sox might have a few more wins under their belts. I say don't make any trades yet. Look at Royce! He's got himself a 6 game hitting streak. I never thought I'd see the day that Choice would get a hit in more than 5 consecutive games. Lets just hope he keeps the good hitting up.

i'm sure that last year he had a 6 game hitting streak. one thing many people overlook about royce last year is that his BA was higher than Manos'. I think that Royce is gonna hit around .265 for the whole year... and his power numbers are up this year (6 or so HR's already).

Meanwhile... i think the 2 men we have to start worrying about are Kenny Lofton, and Manos. someone pointed out Lofton earlier in another thread, but a .253 batting average for a leadoff man is not going to get us a division title. Maybe he should have a session with a hitting coach (not gary ward... but someone who kenny knows). he just doesn't seem as confident at the plate as he did back in april. it almost looks like he's twitching a lot more (i know his bat moves a bit... but now it seems like he's just very impatient and wants to swing.)

LongDistanceFan
06-30-2002, 09:39 AM
i for one would like to see a trade, if only by reduction of certain players. however, with the play of the team........... i would say no to any trade and let this team come together and really play the way their fans believe that they can.

Bucktown
06-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by chile

Amazing what a set lineup will do for a team, No? How is this a set line-up? Foe one, Josh Paul was key to this game despite the fact that he is not the regular catcher (but should be).

voodoochile
06-30-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
How is this a set line-up? Foe one, Josh Paul was key to this game despite the fact that he is not the regular catcher (but should be).

Because all he did was switch Paul for Johnson. Everyone else batted in the same slot and all the other names are the same. Sorry if I mislead anyone on this topic. We are definitely going to see a catching platoon as the season goes along, no matter if Sandy comes back healthy or not. There will always be games when Johnson/Paul starts. Just leave the other 8 guys alone (with occasional days off for rest) and see what happens. Ever since Manuel has done that (beginning of the Twins series) the Sox have gone back to scoring runs at a 7/game clip.

I know that is shocking, simply shocking...

Bucktown
06-30-2002, 10:23 AM
I spent all of 2000 posting that we shouldn't make a trade because it would hurt chemistry. As it turned out, we didn't have enough in the tank at the end. I think we should continue to upgrade wherever we can. A 3-game win streak on the back of the Cubs does not make me feel entirely comfortable. Particularly, I would like to see us address catching, potching and the left side of the infield. Jeff Kent wouldn't be bad, either.