PDA

View Full Version : Yanks offer Lee 6yr/140 M?

JermaineDye05
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/yankees-offer-six-years-nearly-140mm-to-cliff-lee.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

It begins.

I really hope he doesn't go there.

Hitmen77
11-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I didn't realize until this year's playoffs that Cliff Lee is 32 years old.

The Yankees are apparently willing to pay him big bucks until he's 38. But it's not like that kind of contract will cripple them if he starts fading - the Yankees have money to burn and they just buy up another Cy Young candidate if Lee doesn't age well.

TDog
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I didn't realize until this year's playoffs that Cliff Lee is 32 years old.

The Yankees are apparently willing to pay him big bucks until he's 38. But it's not like that kind of contract will cripple them if he starts fading - the Yankees have money to burn and they just buy up another Cy Young candidate if Lee doesn't age well.

And he had had some problems in the regular season. The last couple of years he has been more consistent. He was 8-3 with the Mariners but his ERA was about 1.5 runs higher after he was traded from the Mariners and to the first place team in his division where he was 4-6. Except for the ALDS, he really didn't help the Rangers at all. (He actually had the best ERA and the most wins among Mariners starters when he was traded.)

I don't believe Cliff Lee is worth the money he is being offered. Ideally, though, the Yankees drive the price up and the Rangers overpay for Lee to the point where they can't address other concerns.

kjhanson
11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I think the average dollars are where they "should" be, but the length of the contract is what's going to swing this decision. Who else is going to offer six years to a 32 year-old pitcher? If they did, it probably would have been a $120MM offer.

If this is true, I think it has to be a done deal soon.